Chapter 26-3

Chapter 26-3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 26-3



* * * *

 


It was strange even for Jaydan as the wagon and the horse’s clipped clop down an unfamiliar road. For this was not the world they left or the one Jaydan was heading to with the groceries in the wagon. Things still were fairly green yet did show signs of Morgan killing the land. It was just the two of them now. Doc slowly reopening the box placing the ring on his finger and then looks at the glass stone laced with a golden chain. Jaydan smiles as he watched Doc put it on around his neck, feeling the warm sensation around him as if he was looking through a new pair of eyes.


Doc study’s Jaydan for a minute then smiles seeing his heart and mind of his friend. He was indeed in good company as he places the tonic into the bag. Doc laughs “now we just hope we never have to use it because I’ll never know how to make It.” he replied as doc closes his bag and pats the sides.


Jaydan slows the horse’s down and turns his head towards doc. “Listen. I’ll take care of the big stuff. Besides didn’t you read the fine print on the word “Travel”?” He replied.


“Yes I did, I think we're doing that,” Jaydan laughs.


Doc grinned as a pressing thought entered his mind. “Nope,” pulling up to a small town that read Ternvel “we are still short at least that feeling I get,” he said.


Jaydan looks at all the supplies in the back, “short? Man, we have enough to feed half an army.”


“Not quite Doc,” Jaydan said slowing the horse down a bit more. Jaydan brings Doc up to speed. Like where EJ, Danny and the Downing’s are then explains where the rest of his family is still on Aggie home-world, what’s transpired. Doc nods his head wondering, about his friends. Nathaniel and Brad thought they had it bad this was nothing compared.


“So where do I fit in then?” Doc asks as he gazed about the new land.


“That my friend is uncharted waters. All I know is your supposed to do something, what? Where? And when? Is like nailing down a feather. The master said three words “grab doc and go.” The horses picking up speed on their own, Jaydan shrugged his shoulders. “I guess something about to happen and we are about to find out,” the horses start running faster. Doc, Jaydan held on tight, Jaydan tries to slow them down, but it wasn’t working. It was if they where lifted off the ground somehow flying through the air... Pulling into the town they suddenly stopped in front of a house without so much as a woe.


Doc laughed. “I guess we are here?” Doc looks at the house as they climbed down. It felt strange unlike the other cobblestone house on this block, this one felt different somehow. Something told him to take his bag with him, almost whisper-like. Doc glances back at Jaydan, Jaydan shrugged his shoulders again. Doc picks up his bag headed for the house.


Jaydan knocks on the door as they wait. One elderly woman comes to the door. She wasn’t too odd if you consider her earlobes drawn down and her face wrinkled with age. Her eyes bright green crystals they softened when she smiled. She was also wearing wire-frame specks on her nose. She had an odd-looking wooden stick of green wood. When she smiled her nose would wrinkle up. Her voice sounded cold and icy as she coughed. “Welcome,” welcoming them inside. She said, “Inside quickly before you get noticed too much as strangers from far off land,” as she looked around the corners of the house and down the road.


The house was a hobble made of beaver wood, it smelled of old mint leaves drying in the sun to long. The old woman closed the door showing them the living room and dusting off a couple of chairs. “We don’t get many visitors these days due to all the sickness and strange evil that seems to have gathered in the slums parts of town,” as she coughs “in fact seldom if any at all ever since the darkness started covering our lands from the west.”


Still hacking away griping hard on her green walking stick too steady her self. “You my friend,” coughing wiping her mouth looking straight at Jaydan “I have seen somewhere I’m sure of it,” as she coughs. “That is why I let you in,” she coughs. “But you I never laid eyes on before.  Strange how I can’t see you clearly enough as if something is blocking my sight. Taking her specks off to clean and shakes her head after putting them back on. “Yet the feeling I get is that I should trust you.” She coughs in a steady stream of black mucus touches her handkerchief… “Tell me do you seek the light friend?” Pointing her stick hard into Doc's chest.


Doc looks at her as he did Jaydan, he too feels it and sees it when he looked at her. Doc nods. “Yes.” remembering something about Margaret said to him that she is the light.  Doc felt something else as he looks at her, seeing the wound and the sickness that fills her. He could see it in his mind and knew the root of the problem. He has faced it before in his town as it spread like wildfire. This town is dying, decaying rapidly.


Doc stands to push the stick away. “I have come and I believe I know why?” Then turned his head towards Jaydan, “they are all dying all of them, the master wants me to save them, starting with her.” The old woman looks shocked as the words were translated in her own language as he spoke them to her, for he understood what she said and she in turn knew and felt the words spoken as if he used the master’s tongue.


Jaydan was moved as he watched Doc a simple doctor from another world, with the same yet different use of the gift of healing for another race of people. This is what the master intended for him and others like him.


Doc taking a wooden cup, pouring just a drop of the tonic with some tea, he hands it to her as she slowly drinks it. Her eyes clear first and then her voice warms as the calmness washes over her as it works through her. They were about to leave when Doc suddenly stops at the door and turns takes her hand. “You have a sister, she needs you, she is all alone,” he replies.


The woman cries as she looked at Doc. “Yes I do, but she been missing for 30 years and I don’t know where she is,” the women replied.


Doc smiles placed his hand to her face. “Twenty miles due south in a small house built for two, on the corner at the end of the road. Look to towards the hills due east she will be waiting outside. Tell her I’ll be there in two days got that, just say the Doc is coming.” 


The old women face lit up as she quickly runs, grabbing a bag tossing clothes as Doc and Jaydan find a stable. Doc laughs watching Jaydan still locked in amazement as he looks back at the house watching the old woman leave. “What? It just came to me that’s all.”


“Yes, I know. Now we are stuck in another town for two days with food and supplies that need to be elsewhere. With another task for me to worry about and another” …” pop”......



* * * * *

 


Jaydan finishes… “Person” turns to Doc who is not with him. “Oh. This is just great.” Glen was sitting in Docs place back on Aggie’s world five miles from the tavern. “You know you could give a guy warning when you do things like that.”


Glen smiles even more. “So what’s the problem? Everything not going your way I take it?” He asked.


“Yea, you could say that mildly,” Jaydan replied with a voice sounding if on a fine edge of a sword as he tries to get a grip on his emotions. 


“Oh, he’ll be just fine without you gumming up the works, besides we have to make up for time. Considering how much you wasted getting’s started,” Glen says as he leans back a bit.


“I wasted, what mean by that?” Replied Jaydan as he growls with anger.


“Well if you would have left when you were supposed to, you wouldn’t need these supplies least not all them just yet. You still needed Doc so give a little take what you can get I suppose. You do realize of course that most this going to be wasted if you don’t get everyone down where they need to be. Before you know who comes through, in should I say” Glen looks at the sun then Jaydan really hard “two cycles? So you best get a move on it,” he replied as he dissipates.


Leaving Jaydan sitting there alone “Just great!” Jaydan feeling a huge headache coming on. “How on earth did Derrick handle all this pressure?” he mumbles to himself.


Kollie walks slowly up to him, Jaydan gives a hard nod. “Don’t even ask, strike that ask, lousy it went lousy,” hands him his nice pipe gift wrapped from Nathaniel and cigars from Brad. Kollie calls the fella’s over to unload it all while Kollie, Jaydan talk. Mostly Jaydan talked Kollie listened, smiled a lot, and nodded not surprise in the least. Yet it did concern him how that fellow knew he was leaving and hid in the wagon.


Kollie didn’t like that much either as he made sure he brought it to Shywpen attention. “Other than a few bumps things went really well here,” Kollie replied.


Jaydan eyes hit the ground as he described the skirmish of the women coming looking for their husbands in town down here. Beating them over the head with a frying pan and they had to mend a couple broken legs when two were pushed off a roof. 


A few burns here and there from splashed on grease from the frying pans and red hot coal fights in the street “other than that a quite a mild bunch. Peggy and Dona or become well let say on a different path than they were on. Elis and Linda felt if they can become close friends there was no reason why their girls couldn’t as they paired them up with two of each bother and sister Altaerin’s.


Kollie laughed. “Now they are as mild as a p***y cat, walking through a park with a bunch of dogs in heat, but at least they are not fighting so that’s a plus. Jim and Steve are doing quite well too rebuilding a town. Even thou Jim cuss a lot more, but least its in pain not in anger. Now then my friend I promised you something special now didn’t I? Well, its time now that your back. Because what we're about to do is going to…. will upset things a bit for all. So I will need your help.”


Jaydan felt unease, especially because Kollie asked for help as he watched the rest of the Whitmore’s come out and follow him. Jaydan watched as Kollie placed a seed the size of acorn in the ground then the family sits around the circle. Jaydan stands close by with his staff in his hands, ready for anything as the leaders of the clans watch the Whitmore’s.


Kollie nods as everyone starts to focus on the acorn. Watching it grow first into a large tree bearing fruit of versus kinds.


Yet it doesn’t stop there as they focus. The air changes from warm to cold with a hard breeze with heavy rain. Jaydan could tell something is defiantly different this time as he watches and feels. The ground shakes and the lightning cress crosses against the orange sky. The rumblings got louder and closer as mountains were being pushed up from the hillside. Clans were screaming and yelling pointing spears readying to strike as fear grew more intensely. Red lava spitting out of the top of the mountain as it flowed into the valley filling the large fishers. Steam rises as the hard rain and ice hit the cooling the lava as it forms new hillsides.


Kollie nods to Jaydan as if a whisper forms in his mind. "NOW!" As he placed a shield around them all and the town that he can cover taking all his strength as he feels the weight drawing on him. The hot lava sprouting forward around them encasing them as the rumbling stops. The wind and ice cool beat back into the ground. The sun now clear standing over a greenish sky forever changed with its two moons standing overhead.


Jaydan lets go of the shield nearly exhausted. Kollie and his family worn now resting beneath the tree as Kollie places with last of his strength a shield around them. “It is done,” he gasped for air as he looks at his friend Jaydan now stunned. …For what he has done was to heal the entire planet to almost to the core, taking away the sickness that it had.


Indeed Shywpen was very angry, knowing that, these humans had this kind of power as he looked at nothing, but a wasteland of soil. Not even a bare root was showing except this tree. The whispering grew louder as the men grew closer as they send out search parties across their homeland. Kollie stands before them with a loud voice. “STOP!” For I have saved the ones that have light among you. Now you must choose how you live for I have given you a new world of your own.” Kollie and Rena point to a hill as the light flows from their fingertips into the mountain, drawing to the west the LAkainan’s coming forward……


Aggie and LAkainan’s riding hard and fast over the hills towards them. Altaerin’s running from the east spilling out of the mountain screaming. The men and soldiers of LAkainan’s and Altaerin’s facing each other with great anger as they come closer together. Spears and weapons were drawn as the rage intensify at their arrival seeing them taking over the once deserted town.


Aggie and Jaydan eyes met then nod as they both hold and stop placing a strong barrier between the two parties. Driving their staff into the ground as it rumbles beneath them. Jaydan waits until both parties have all members on both sides before continuing on. Giving a glance over at the Whitmore’s who have now moved their boys to the tavern with the rest of the children, with Aggie following them from behind.  Aggie taking her staff placed a ward barrier of protection of her own around them. With the barrier in place, she nods to Jaydan as she goes inside closing the door. A strange yet bright beam of light focuses on clans and their chiefs holding them steadfast.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on February 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep