Ch. 15: Tall, Dark, and Awesome

Ch. 15: Tall, Dark, and Awesome

A Chapter by Tina Bee
"

Myra seems to find love at every corner.

"

Forty-five minutes passed by and before I knew it the sun was setting. They had on masks now and were spraying the car with paint. The fumes didn't reach us because of the big fan in front of us.

 

Out of nowhere someone tapped me on the shoulder.

 

"You want a water or some soda?" he asked.

 

"Yea soda is fine" I said.

 

"Ok" he said.

 

It was the guy who had been eying me earlier. Sonny watched him with narrow eyes as he went to the cooler beside the TV and got me a Sprite.

 

"Thanks" I said as he took a seat next to me.

 

"So how old are you?" he asked.

 

"Better question is how old are you?" I asked.

 

"Nineteen, going on sixty" he said and I laughed.

 

"How long have you worked here?" I asked.

 

"This isn't work to me it's a way of life and I've been doing it ever since Joker finally saw my potential" he said.

 

"I'm Myra" I said.

 

"I'm David" he said.

 

"How much longer do you think it'll be?" I asked.

 

"Why you got a hot date or something?" David asked.

 

"Yea or something" I replied.

 

Sonny turned his head and stared me down. If David had noticed he didn't say anything.

 

"Should be another twenty minutes then she needs an hour to dry" David said.

 

I calculated it in my head. If I got home, showered, did make up, hair, and put my shoes on I'd barely make it on time to meet Ricky.

 

"Good" I said.

 

"Hey smoochy over there get back to work. I ain't payin' ya to sit on my couch" one of the guys yelled.

 

David got up and smiled at me and went back to the car.

 

"I'm not leaving here until she's fully dry" Sonny snapped at me.

 

"Ok, fine" I said.

 

I was sitting on pins and needles as the guys finished up and let her dry. The guy in the jumpsuit who I assumed was Joker opened up the garage door for extra air. The night wasn't cool at all and a sudden warm breeze penetrated the building. The fan counteracted with it.

 

Sonny and Carlos got up to examine the car and David came over.

 

"You want to go stretch your legs?" David asked me.

 

"Sure" I said getting up.

 

We headed for the exit. Sonny was too busy looking at the car to notice.

 

David led me to the front of the building. No one was out here except for some horses naying in a distant field. Barely a street lamp lit up this side of the country and I felt calm and relaxed.

 

"So really how old are you?" David asked.

 

"Sixteen" I said.

 

"Oh" David said.

 

"Where do you live?" I asked.

 

"In the city, but I'm mostly out here" David said.

 

"Do you ever get time to yourself?" I asked.

 

"This is time to myself. At home I take care of my ma and siblings so being here helps bring in the money and the fellas are cool" David said.

 

"Sounds nice" I said.

 

"Yea so do you have a phone number? Maybe I could call you sometime. I don't have a cell phone, but I was thinking of getting one and now I might have a reason to" David said.

 

I smiled and took a piece of paper and pen out my purse and won't my cell number on there. I handed it to David just as Sonny started yelling for.

 

"I gotta go, but call me whenever except for real late because I go to sleep early" I said and walked quickly back to the garage leaving David behind.

 

"Come on we're leaving" Sonny barked at me just as I reached the door.

 

"Is the car dry yet?" I asked.

 

"Why would you care don't you have a date!" Sonny screamed at me.

 

"Cool it" Carlos said.

 

I said nothing and got into the back seat. Sonny closed my door, got into the drivers seat, started the engine, and roared off. David was standing under the one lamp post looking at the paper I had given him.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good chapter. Possibly more troubles for Myra.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 30, 2009
Last Updated on July 28, 2009


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee