Ch. 30: It's Only Me And You

Ch. 30: It's Only Me And You

A Chapter by Tina Bee
"

With her trial pending Myra knows takes every chance she can get to escape. With her new friends that call themselves: The Crew, Myra finds solace in their mysterious lifestyle.

"

David pulled up in front of Mr. and Mrs. Parker's house at eight-thirty PM. I had thirty minutes to pack up and I needed him gone so I could get to the park by nine. To my horror people were once again picketing in front of the house. What was going on?

 

"Thank you so much for putting yourself on the line for me," I told David as I leaned over to kiss him.

 

"Why do you think they're out there?" David asked me as we looked at the spectacle.

 

"I have no idea and frankly I don't care," I said to David as I opened my car door.

 

"Wait, I need to walk you in," David said as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

 

"No, no I'm fine. They don't scare me," I told David and he narrowed his eyes at me.

 

"Going home, huh?" David asked me and pursed his lips together.

 

"Yes, I'm going home," I told David as I reached into my purse and gave him a twenty dollar bill.

 

"Thanks," David said as he took it and folded it up and put it in his pocket.

 

"You're welcome and like I said call me on Thursday and maybe I can spend the night next time," I said to David as I exited the car.

 

As I was crossing the front of the vehicle one of the protesters spotted me.

 

"There she is!" the woman who was dressed in a lime green T-shirt with yellow pants screamed.

 

Heads turned and people looked at me in awe. I started to hear booing and then people were screaming obscenities at me.

 

"How could you hurt those girls like that?" a woman who was holding a sign asked me as I approached my lawn.

 

I didn't respond I just kept going.

 

"What about Langston and his family, don't you realize you've ruined everything for them!" a man in the crowd shouted at me.

 

I said nothing as I crossed the grass and went up to my front door.

 

"You'll pay for this, Myra, the Lord knows when we still have contempt in our heart!" a young sounding voice yelled at me and I turned to see Laura Ashburn with Linda and a woman I assumed was her mother in the crowd.

 

"What in the f**k are you doing in front of my house you stupid b***h?" I screamed and retracted from the front door and onto the driveway.

 

"We're here on behalf of the Spins, Lautner, and Hughes family who you've single handling destroyed with your bad behavior!" Linda shouted at me.

 

"Oh don't start with that bullshit, Linda! You and Laura were at the mall trying to fight me over Rick!" I screamed at her.

 

There were murmurs in the crowd.

 

"He's my boyfriend and you were trying to steal him! I'm just glad he finally saw you for what you are: a lying w***e!" Laura screamed so loudly that the crowd went completely silent.

 

"Oh and is that why he was with me that Saturday night and not with you, his supposed girlfriend!" I shouted back at her.

 

The shouting was getting louder and louder. Neighbors were coming out to see what the fuss was about and I knew someone was going to call the cops sooner or later. I looked into the crowd and saw someone with a video camera. My goodness I was being recorded even at this very moment. I had said enough to incriminate myself and I knew Mr. Litfield was going to be upset.

 

"It's time to pack it up people," a man in the crowd said just loud enough for me to hear.

 

"Yea, take your sorry asses home to your families and stay the f**k out of my life!" I screamed vehemently into the crowd and they just stood there shocked.

 

I didn't wait for any response. I went back up the driveway and opened the front door with my key. I was so angry I didn't see Arthur and mom on the couch naked having sex.

 

"Oh my God!" Arthur said jumping up and turning around.

 

"Myra!" Mom shouted and she covered herself up with a couch pillow.

 

I didn't say anything. I ran up the stairs and into my room. I went to my closet and got my overnight bag packed.

 

I loaded five pairs of jeans, six t-shirts, three nightgowns, 4 pairs of shoes and my cell phone charger into my bag and then I went into my bathroom to pack my toilet trees.

 

Once I was done with that I headed back down the stairs. I took one last look at my room that was gloomy with the moon's glow. Downstairs mom sat on the couch with her bathrobe on and Arthur was gone.

 

"I'm gone," I said making sure she saw my bag.

 

"We didn't think anyone would be here tonight. The boys are gone with friends and we were supposed to have the place to ourselves," mom said explaining what happened and not offering any apologies.

 

"Whatever," I told her as I went to the front door.

 

"I hope you and David have fun and be careful," mom said to me as the door opened.

 

"No mom," I told her, "you be careful."

 

The protesters were packing up and shipping out by the time I reached the end of my driveway. No one was on the street so I headed toward the park without paying them any mind.

 

My cell phone started buzzing and it was Eliza. I picked up.

 

"Hey," I said as I juggled my purse and bag.

 

"Oh nevermind, we see you," Eliza said.

 

"I see you too," I told her and hung up and Cameron's car approached.

 

It stopped at the sidewalk to pick me up. Just like Eliza said Cameron had an Expedition which was big enough to fit us all with extra room for people to sleep in the trunk if they wanted.

 

"Hey, put your stuff in the trunk," Cameron said when he saw my bag.

 

"Oh ok," I said heading to the back.

 

I put my bag up and then climbed into the way back next to Eliza. We pulled off the curb and out of Pinewood Acres. Soon we were on the freeway.

 

"So how are you?" Eliza asked as she played with her hair.

 

"I'm fine, hey thanks for showing up this morning, sorry I spazed and took off," I told him.

 

"No problem we get it. The last place most of us want to be is in a courtroom, let alone at our houses," Eliza replied and we both started laughing.

 

"So how far is Gilroy from here?" I asked looking at my cell phone.

 

"Like three hours. That's why we're leaving tonight," Eliza replied and my eyes nearly flew out their socket.

 

"Three hours?" I asked alarmed.

 

"Yea, is that a problem?" Eliza asked and I could see her feelings were hurt.

 

"No its just I've never been out of town before without my family," I said to her and her eyes softened.

 

"Oh, yea well there's a first time for everything!" Eliza said and we laughed again.

 

The drive was good. Since it was dark there wasn't much to see. Eliza explained to me that the concert was for up and coming rock artists that they all listened to. I didn't mind rock music and I let her know that. Eliza wanted to know who the, 'tall guy at the courthouse' was and I explained to her the relationship, or friendship, between David and I.

 

"He's not my boyfriend," I said loudly enough for Jimmy, who was sitting next to Nick to hear.

 

"Oh, so you're just good friends," Eliza said as she nodded her head in understanding.

 

"Yes, we haven't even," I said as I raised my eyebrows.

 

"Ok I see," Eliza said quickly and she changed the subject to who was going to share a room with who.

 

"I thought we'd all share one room?" I asked getting nervous.

 

"No, usually those motels don't like that. We usually go two to a room and since it's an even number it'll all work out," Eliza said and I got the feeling she was usually the odd one out.

 

"How do we pay for the rooms?" I asked looking at my phone and seeing it was nearing midnight.

 

"Cameron uses his credit cards and connections. His dad is a hotel mogul. That's why he's so rich. We just pay him the difference. Since we'll be there for two night you and I split the bill which will be one hundred dollars and so we pay Cameron fifty" Eliza explained to me and now I was nodding my head with understanding.

 

"Oh ok I get it," I said as I ignored a call from Greg.

 

"Hey, guys we're here!" Cameron announced as we pulled up to the cozy little motel.

 

"Now we stay in here while he goes and talks to the night attendant," Eliza said to me.

 

"So, Myra, did you know you're all over the Internet?" Jimmy turned and asked me.

 

Amber and Violetta, who'd been talking quietly turned around.

 

"I figured," I replied to Jimmy as I tried to contain my anger.

 

"Yea, you're the talk of the town now. Enjoy your celebrity because we've all been there," Jimmy advised and I looked at him and saw he was sincere.

 

"When I stole from my church I was the headline news in the paper for a week. I even have some saved up if you ever want to look at them," Amber offered with a smile on her face.

 

"Thanks," I said and smiled back at her.

 

"They're just swarming you because you go against the grain. A pretty African-American female living in a wealthy neighborhood, they can't handle it," Jimmy said and everyone nodded in unison.

 

"But I'm only half-black," I responded to Jimmy.

 

"It doesn't matter, to them you don't deserve anything that you've got so they want to take it away and give it to those girls who had no right to send that video to you on Facebook. They knew it would go viral and that everyone would see. I can't wait to hear their defense," Jimmy continued and he seemed to be getting really into the politics of all this.

 

Everyone was agreeing with Jimmy when Cameron came back to the car with all the motel room keys. There were four keys and he passed them back. Eliza took our key as Cameron drove to the back and pulled in front of the rooms that were lucky enough to all be connected.

 

We all exited the car and got our stuff out. The rooms were on the bottom floor which made loading and unloading easy to do. When Eliza and I got to our room Jimmy came up behind us.

 

"Hey, is it ok if I hang out for awhile with you two?" Jimmy asked and Eliza looked troubled, but I could use the company.

 

"That's fine, right Eliza?" I asked while silently assuring her that it would be ok.

 

"Yes, it's fine," Eliza replied and opened our room door.

 

There were two beds side by side with the standard air conditioner under the window and the TV high above on the wall. I closed the door as we entered.

 

"Hey, I'm sorry to put you on the spot, but I really want to hear what Jimmy has to say about my case," I explained to Eliza as I went into the bathroom to brush my hair.

 

"It's ok, I'm just not used to having boys around so closely. I'm sort of a loner," Eliza said as she took her shoes off and climbed onto the bed.

 

"Oh so you've never had a boyfriend?" I asked as I applied some more eyeliner and lip gloss.

 

"No, never," Eliza told me and I looked at her with disbelief.

 

"Oh come on Eliza, you're very beautiful. I bet you have guys knocking your door down," I said and Eliza chuckled.

 

"Well there's one guy at this bookstore I go to during the week. He's always friendly and he start really interesting conversation with me, but I'm not sure if that's just to sell more books or what," Eliza said and I could tell she was confused.

 

"Does he talk to any other girls like that when you're around?" I asked and I brushed my teeth.

 

"No he doesn't talk to other girls when I'm around," Eliza said as I applied lotion to my face.

 

"See right there, Eliza he's making passes at you. I bet if you'd invite him to one of these concerts he'd come with you," I said as I stepped out of the bathroom area to retrieve my cell phone charger from my suitcase.

 

"Maybe," was all Eliza could say as she laid in bed fully dressed.

 

There was a slight knock on the door and I went to open it. There stood Jimmy with his laptop in hand.

 

"Hey," I said as he zipped passed me.

 

"I want to show you what they've been saying about you on the Internet," Jimmy said as he went to my bed.

 

"Jimmy, I really don't want to know," I told him, but he wouldn't let up.

 

"These are viewer comments only, not the actually news articles. Here, read," Jimmy said as he turned his computer to me.

 

I said down on my bed and began reading all twenty-two comments made by viewers who's read the article and wanted to give feedback. I was surprised. One comment read:

 

"It's a sad commentary in today's society where the rich are made to suffer simply because they're rich. If Myra had been a poor girl living in the ghetto the rape incident would've gone far away from the media. She comes from money so now she needs to be prosecuted by the public because some sleaze entered her home and took advantage of her and then proceeded to record her with another boy. Langston Hughes knew exactly what he was doing. He was an adult playing a very childish game," the commentator named, Cindy posted.

 

I looked at Jimmy.

 

"People really think that?" I asked him.

 

"Yes they do. See Myra the public knows what's really going on. Langston is from the projects and so to the media he doesn't know better. You come from a wealthy neighborhood and like I said earlier you're black. Langston knew what he was giving up when he committed that assault on you and its apparent that he just didn't care. Now it's come back to haunt him because of people like Kimmi and Daisy and he should have to pay for his actions," Jimmy explained to me as he typed away on his computer.

 

"Are you trying to get me to testify against Langston?" I asked Jimmy who didn't even skip a beat.

 

"No, that's entirely up you. I, nor anyone else has any right to tell you how to proceed in a situation like this. I'm just showing you what the world thinks. People are on your side, Myra, don't feel like you're alone," Jimmy said and then Eliza let out a big snore.

 

"Ok, but let's finish this in the morning. I want Eliza to get some sleep. She's really tired," I said and got off the bed.

 

"That's fine and please sleep well," Jimmy said as he reached the door.

 

We stood there awkwardly for a few moments and then he kissed me. Not on the lips, but on the cheek. It was so sudden and quick I felt like I'd imagined it. He left the room and I was stunned. Before I had time to think my cell phone was ringing and I went to it and answered it without looking.

 

"Myra?" Greg asked panicked.

 

"What do you want?" I asked him suddenly crashing back to Earth.

 

"Where are you?" Greg asked sounding very worried.

 

"I'm out, where are you?" I asked him as I went to my suitcase to get my nightgown.

 

"On the news they said you've runaway," Greg informed me with a very worried tone.

 

"Don't believe everything the news says," I told Greg as I went into the bathroom to put a nightgown on for bed.

 

"So you haven't runaway?" Greg asked me sounding more calm.

 

"No, I went home earlier tonight to get clothes and I talked to my mom," I said to Greg as I exited the bathroom.

 

"Great, so um where are you?" Greg asked in a sweet tone.

 

"At a hotel. My mom says its alright for me to lay low for awhile," I explained to Greg as I climbed under the covers and turned off the light.

 

"Who's that snoring in the background?" Greg asked suddenly sounding alarmed again.

 

"Just a friend, Greg, please calm down!" I said while I flipped through the channels.

 

"I don't know what else to say," Greg admitted sounding a big disturbed.

 

"Then just hang up the phone," I told Greg in a very annoyed voice.

 

"Well I do know what to say, but you're not going to like it," Greg told me sounding a bit sullen this time.

 

"Just tell me. I'm used to bad news," I said as I settled on a cartoon station.

 

"Well you know how I told you that I was trying for early admittance to Columbia?" Greg asked me.

 

"Yes, I remember," I told Greg suddenly feeling a deep pain in my stomach.

 

"Yea and after that whole incident with you and those girls my parents made me fill out an early acceptance application and I sent it in the day before I left," Greg told me as he talked so quickly I could barely catch what he was saying.

 

"Ok and what of it?" I asked him trying to listen intently to his words.

 

"I've been accepted and I'm leaving in January for New York," Greg announced, but this was the saddest I'd ever heard him.

 

"That's wonderful!" I told Greg, but I could tell it troubled him.

 

"I don't want to leave home yet," Greg said to me and I could feel his anguish.

 

"I understand, but you'll be on campus with smart people like yourself. You won't be bullied," I told him.

 

"And Cadence lives in the city," Greg said and I could tell he was smiling.

 

"Oh you're still seeing her?" I asked trying to keep my cool.

 

"Yes, but she's leaving in three weeks," Greg answered sounding sad again.

 

"Three weeks is a long time," I told him as I felt that green envy creeping up.

 

"Not when you're in love," Greg replied and I wanted to end the call right then and there.

 

"So did you two f**k yet, or what?" I asked rudely trying to fight back tears.

 

"How many times do I have to tell you she's not like that!" Greg asked me and now he was annoyed.

 

"You mean she's not like me," I responded as a rogue tear slid down my cheek.

 

"Look I was just calling to see how you were. I don't need the drama. Call you later," Greg said as he hung up.

 

I lay in bed for a few minutes before I turned the TV. Sleep crept over me quicker than I would've liked, but I was grateful.

 

In the morning I awoke to the sound of a shower going. I was so startled I almost jumped out of bed, but then I remembered the previous day and the events that had led me to a motel in Gilroy with friends I'd just met.

 

Eliza wasn't in her bed and so I naturally assumed she was the one running the shower. Since my house was sound proof I wasn't used to the sound of water flowing near me unless it was a rainy day.

 

I blinked, sat up, and then walked over to get my cell phone. I had two missed calls and no text messages. The first call was from David and the second call was from mom. I answered both with a text message that I was ok just as Eliza walked out the shower.

 

"Hey," Eliza said with a towel wrapped around her head and body.

 

"Hi," I said still grinding the sleep out of eyes.

 

"The concert doesn't start until seven tonight so we'll just be chilling out most of the day," Eliza said to me as she got her bag and went to her bed.

 

All I could do was nod my head as I grabbed my bag and some spare towels, then headed into the bathroom. I wanted to shower right away just to be ready to do whatever the crew wanted to.

 

The water was still warm after Eliza's shower and I attributed that to the sweltering heat outside. When I was done I dried off inside the bathroom and cracked the door as I dressed. Eliza was busy drying her hair and was done once I exited to go to the sink and brush my teeth. After that I packed everything away and set my dirty clothes inside a plastic bag. I brushed and combed my hair and the flat iron I'd brought heated up.

 

Flat ironing my hair took fifteen minutes and when I was done the room had gone silent. The only thing producing sound was the air conditioner.

 

"Eliza?" I called out and got no answer.

 

I looked around the corner to see her sitting on the bed fully dressed, but curled up into a ball. I rushed to her and her stare didn't change. I shook her and still nothing. Just as my panic was growing she spoke, or at least someone did.

 

"Get out of here!" she said with her eyes still unfocused.

 

"What?" I asked backing up.

 

"Are you stupid or something, leave!" Eliza screamed at me as she began rocking back and forth.

 

"Eliza, what's going on?" I asked in my confusion.

 

"Leave, leave, get out of here you worthless Sonofabitch!" Eliza screamed even louder than the first time, but then she began to violently shake.

 

I immediately went to the door and ran out for help from the others. I knocked on Amber and Violetta's door, but got no answer. They must've been asleep. I went to Jimmy and Scott's room and did the same thing. Jimmy answered in his boxer shorts. I didn't have time to gawk so I explained what was happening. Jimmy listened intently before telling me to hold on while he put some pants on.

 

As I waited I saw Eliza cross the parking lot and head for an empty field that was to the north of where I was standing. The sun was glaring down on us and even at this hour the heat was building. I was torn between going to get Eliza and waiting for Jimmy. It seemed like hours passed before he finally came back and by now Eliza was barely in sight.

 

"She's gone!" I said to Jimmy and he looked at me bewilderedly.

 

"What do you mean, where?" Jimmy asked me looking around the parking lot.

 

"That blur out there in the field, that's her!" I told him as I began running toward the edge of the parking lot.

 

"Wait, we go out there too far and we're vulture food," Jimmy said coming from behind me.

 

"We can't just let her wonder off she's not in her right mind," I replied to him and kept moving.

 

Jimmy followed behind me as the sun hit my face and looking ahead of me hurt my eyes. I cursed myself for not going into the room and grabbing my sunglasses. I only had on a pair of flip flops and tiny rocks were getting under my feet and causing me to slow down.

 

Up ahead Eliza seemed to be darting back and forth in zig-zag line across the lot which looked endless. Since she wore a red t-shirt it was easy to spot her against this brownish-yellowish terrain.

 

"If we go any further we won't be able to find our way back to the motel," Jimmy complained as he came to my left side and watched Eliza's entranced dance in the distance.

 

"I have GPS on my cell phone," I told him and he nodded his head in understanding.

 

"Eliza!" Jimmy screamed, but it was like she didn't hear us.

 

"Don't yell for her you might scare her and then things will get worse," I said as Eliza darted to the left up a steep hill.

 

"Oh my God!" Jimmy said aloud and I could hear the panic in his voice.

 

"What?" I asked not slowing my pace down one bit.

 

"Don't you know what's over that hill?" Jimmy asked me.

 

"No," I told him because I truly didn't.

 

Mom hardly ever took us out the city. I didn't full understand why, but I got the feeling she didn't want someone finding us.

 

"There's an irrigation ditch that drops down about fifty feet into shallow water!" Jimmy said panicking and picking up his pace.

 

I stepped it up too to see Eliza's head disappear and my heart sank. I thought we'd lost her forever. Inside my heart I mourned for a girl who I'd barely known, but who'd made me feel more welcomed than my family did back at home.

 

In my deep reverie I didn't hear her screams. In my mind Eliza was gone and when Jimmy and I reached the hill I couldn't believe Eliza was there hanging off a loose branch with her feet dangling to a fall that would surely break bones or ever her neck.

 

"Eliza!" I heard myself calling.

 

"Help me, help me, please!" Eliza screamed with a terror soaked voice.

 

She seemed like her old self again and while I was curious about her behavior earlier all I wanted to do was help rescue her.

 

"Come here, I'll lower you down and hold your legs so you can grab her and then I'll pull you both up," Jimmy said and I did as he said because the adrenaline in my blood was pumping fast.

 

"Don't worry Eliza, we're going to get you" I screamed down to her.

 

As Jimmy lowered me I could hear the water below rushing at a steady pace. It was easy to see the shallowness of it on a crystal clear day like this. Eliza was lucky enough to have most of her body resting on the shelf right before the drop. I figured she must've come to right before she went down and had the good sense to hold onto something.

 

"Get me out of here!" she screamed up at me with her eyes full of an emotion I never wanted to see on another beings face.

 

"Here grab my hand," I told her as Jimmy's grip on my feet became tight.

 

Eliza did that and in one swift pull Jimmy had us both on the other side of the hill. His face was sweaty from the pulling and he looked exhausted. Eliza was disheveled and crying profusely.

 

I looked up and in all directions and didn't see a thing. This place was truly a vast wasteland in the middle of nowhere it seemed. Like Jimmy had warned earlier we'd gone way too far in and now finding out way back would be a challenge.

 

"Is everyone ok?" Jimmy asked between long drawn in breaths.

 

"I'm fine, Eliza?" I asked as I looked at her, but she was sitting on her bottom crying into her drawn up knees.

 

"She's fine," Jimmy said in an annoyed tone as he got up and then asked me, "so what's your GPS say about our location?"

 

"Ummm...." I said as I fished my trusty phone out my pocket.

 

I switched on the GPS and did my best to remember the exact address of the motel. When a picture of it showed up I selected it and then a nice map laid out our coordinates at the moment and then gave me the quickest path to get back.

 

"I need some water," Eliza said with her voice a little bit amplified because she was talking with her mouth in her lap.

 

"Well there's water down there in the canal," Jimmy said as he rolled his eyes and smirked.

 

"Jimmy! Don't worry Eliza we'll be back in about twenty minutes," I said as that was what the GPS elapsed time read out.

 

There was no shade anywhere around and with the sun beating down on us I didn't think Jimmy would last must longer out here with all the energy he'd lost from pulling us both up.

 

We walked and walked until we saw the roof of the motel. Jimmy was so weak by the time we'd reached the parking lot that Eliza and I carried him into our room and I ran to the soda machine and bought him a Gatorade. When I brought it back to the room Eliza had him laid in my bed with a wet rag on his forehead.

 

"I'm so sorry for all of this, I truly am, can you two ever forgive me?" Eliza asked me as I brought the drink to Jimmy's lips.

 

"Let's just forget about it," I told Eliza instead of accepting her apology.

 

"Oh, I just can't be here, I have to go," Eliza said as she went to the door.

 

"Where are you going?" I asked looking at her.

 

She had dirt all on her front and some of it was caked because it had mixed in with her sweat.

 

"To see if Amber and Violetta are up, I'll be fine, please don't worry about me," Eliza said as she opened the door and closed it.

 

It was nearing eleven a.m. and I hoped they were up. I didn't really worry too much about Eliza because she seemed like her old self again which was reassuring.

 

"She never told you, huh?" Jimmy asked me as I left the bed to re-wet his wash cloth.

 

"Told me what?" I asked him as I walked back.

 

"Why she's one of us," Jimmy said sitting up too quickly and then rubbing his forehead.

 

"I don't have any painkillers, just Midol," I told Jimmy who smirked.

 

"They're all the same, give me two," Jimmy said and I fished the bottle from my bag that was sitting on the bed.

 

Jimmy swallowed both pills with the Gatorade and after a few moments I asked: "Why is Eliza one of you?"

 

"Well you're one of us too, just for the record, but Eliza is a pyromaniac," Jimmy said and I squinted my face in confusion as Jimmy went on to explain, "it means she sets fires for fun."

 

"Oh, why does she do that?" I asked Jimmy who I was sitting very close to so I'd be able to catch him if he passed out.

 

"I don't know exactly, but one day she set a fire that killed her baby brother," Jimmy went on to explain and my stomach just about jumped through my throat.

 

"What?" I asked in complete shock and disgust.

 

"Well it was a little more complicated than that, you see Eliza was being sexually abused by her step-father and her mother wouldn't believe it," Jimmy explained even further and then stopped to take a swig of his Gatorade, "well Eliza decided to get revenge in the only way she knew how. She says while her mother and baby brother were supposed to be on a trip to visit family out of state and she was supposed to be at a friend's house spending the night she snuck back home and torched the place."

 

"And what happened? Did her step-father survive?" I asked getting into the events that had unfolded long before I'd known any of them.

 

"Oh, yes, her step-father survived, but her baby brother didn't. Turns out her mother decided at the last minute to leave him at home with his dad and at the first sign of smoke Eliza's step-father ran out the house, leaving her little brother in there to die," Jimmy said and now I felt completely ill to my stomach.

 

"Well why isn't she in prison?" I asked in a voice that was torn between disbelief and anger.

 

"Eliza went to court and explained everything to the judge and jury. She had a good lawyer and was able to prove without a doubt that not only was her step-father abusing her, but that the fire was solely set to kill him and not her brother," Jimmy said and I nodded my head in understanding.

 

"So is she living with her parents still?" I asked trying to seek clearance on that part of the events.

 

"No, Eliza lives with her aunt and uncle who decided to take her in and rehabilitate her. Suffice to say said attempts haven't work and Eliza still carries around a lot of the guilt for her brother's death," Jimmy said and suddenly the past hours events made a little bit more sense.

 

"Has she ever attempted suicide before?" I asked feeling some of the same aggravated emotions Jimmy had with Eliza earlier.

 

"Yes, but none recently. I don't know what triggered this though. Something must be going on back at home. She doesn't get along with her aunt and her uncle, who is her blood relative, is always away on business," Jimmy explained and then went on, "that's why she's always with one of us. If she goes back she doesn't think she'll be able to control her urge to burn."

 

It must be a terrible feeling to know that you'd caused so much pain and destruction in an attempt to seek revenge on the one who had wronged you. Eliza must truly be a tortured soul. She came off as so sweet and nice that no one could guess what she really must be feeling on the inside.

 

Jimmy had perked up and was now sitting up on his own. I was relieved, but the story I'd just heard was still chilling me to the bone.

 

We sat on my bed talking for the next two hours. Jimmy told me that he was still feeling overheated and I told him to take his shirt off and he did. He had a nice body and I tried not to stare. A little after noon we both confessed to being hungry so I ordered a pizza off one of the motel placards that advertised local businesses.

 

I turned on the television in the interim and Jimmy watched as I went into the bathroom when David's number lit up on my cell phone screen.

 

"Hello?" I said as I shut the bathroom door.

 

"Hey, I hope everything is going well with you at home," David said cheerfully into the phone.

 

"Oh things are going well, no ones said anything to me," I told him as I stared down into the bathtub.

 

"So tonight I'm getting off of work early and I want to swing by and pick you up for dinner," David and immediately regretted lying to him about my whereabouts.

 

"That sounds wonderful, but not tonight. Mom and Arthur want us to stay in this evening," I said as I heard a knock on the motel room door.

 

"Well then I'll come and have dinner with you all," David said and I could hear the strain in his voice now.

 

"Hey, Myra the pizza's here," Jimmy said loudly as he knocked on the door.

 

"Who's that?" David asked in an angry voice.

 

"It's Sonny, look I'll call you back tonight," I said I quickly pressed end.

 

I opened the door and a shirtless Jimmy stood there with his eyes narrowed.

 

"You didn't leave your half of the money out, sorry for disturbing you," Jimmy said and I just rolled my eyes and went to my purse to get the money.

 

Jimmy took it and paid the pizza guy who was peering into the room nosily. I was too hungry to complain and when Jimmy set the pizza down at the table and two chairs by the air conditioner I was there before he was biting and chewing into piece after piece.

 

"I'm sorry it's just my appetite is so huge," I told Jimmy between bites.

 

"That's ok, I like a girl who knows how to eat," Jimmy said as he ate at a speed much faster than mine.

 

When we were done I took the box outside to throw away. The heat was on full blast outside and I hurried back into the room where Jimmy had taken his seat on the bed again, but this time he was lying down.

 

"So what time does the concert start?" I asked Jimmy as I took my spot right next to him.

 

"Well we're supposed to be leaving at five to get some good spots you know? No one wants the nosebleeds," Jimmy explained to me as he flipped through the television stations.

 

"Oh ok," I answered him as I flipped through my phone to read old text messages.

 

"Was the your boyfriend on the line?" Jimmy asked as he avoided making eye contact with me.

 

"No, that was the guy who took me from the courthouse yesterday. His name is David and we're just friends," I said explaining away the details of my life.

 

"Will he be your boyfriend in the future?" Jimmy asked and I knew exactly what he was getting at.

 

"I can't predict the future, Jimmy, so I don't know," I answered and got up from the bed when there was a light tapping noise on it.

 

I opened the door to see Scott standing there bashfully looking into the room.

 

"Scotty boy, what can I do you for?" Jimmy said an Irish accent.

 

"Nothing, I was just wondering where you were," Scott said to Jimmy and he seemed to be looking right through me.

 

"You can come in," I told Scott as the heat hit my face and made my face flush.

 

"It's ok. See you in the room, Jimmy," Scott said and turned to leave as quickly as he came.

 

"He's shy," Jimmy told me as I closed the door.

 

"Oh, I hadn't noticed," I said sarcastically as I went back to the room.

 

"Something must be up. Usually Scott wouldn't come looking for me like that, well thanks for the drinks and pizza Myra," Jimmy said as he got up off the bed and went to put his shirt on.

 

"Where are you going?" I asked stupidly looking up at him.

 

"To see what Scott wanted," Jimmy replied as he headed for the door.

 

"Will you be back?" I said suddenly afraid of being alone.

 

"I'll see you when we leave for the concert," Jimmy said opening the door.

 

I realized quickly that I was terrified of being alone with Eliza. From all that I'd learn it just didn't feel right to be around her anymore.

 

"Well I'm going to try and get more sleep," I said when I felt a way of drowsiness creep over me.

 

"Ok, but be ready to leave at five," Jimmy reminded me as I left.

 

I didn't stay awake long after the door closed. I was thinking about Eliza's past when suddenly my eyes snapped open to loud banging on the door.

 

I awoke in a state of confusion, not remembering where I was for a few moment. I went to the door and opened it.

 

"Wow, we thought you were dead," Amber joked as she, Violetta, and Eliza walked in.

 

"Don't you have a key?" I asked Eliza as she stepped in.

 

"I forgot it," Eliza said softly as I closed the door.

 

"Are you ready to go?" Amber asked me and I saw the way she and Violetta were dressed.

 

They were both wearing Gothic looking clothing. Violetta's shirt had silver and gray swirls all over it that entwined against a heart with a knife stuck in the middle of it. She wore a pair of gray jeans that looked brand new.

 

Amber's shirt was even more over the top. It featured a black leather corset that covered the area under her breasts and just above her mid drift. There was a lacy off white colored piece that covered her black bra and neckline. She wore a black skirt that barely went passed her upper thighs.

 

Eliza was in the same clothes that had mud packed over them.

 

"I'm getting into the shower now and I'll be ready in twenty," Eliza said speaking to Amber and Violetta.

 

Once she was out of the room Amber turned to me.

 

"We heard what happened earlier and we just wanted to thank you. Eliza might not be here if it wasn't for you," Amber said to me and Violetta shook her head in agreement.

 

"It was nothing really, Jimmy did most of the work," I replied to them as I looked as my own clothes and saw the dirt stains for the first time I said as I went to my bag to get a new outfit.

 

"Dress in something sparkly," Amber suggested to me.

 

"Why?" I asked a little annoyed that someone would tell me what to do.

 

"It's Fourth of July, silly," Amber said and she and Violetta giggled.

 

In the midst of my turmoil I'd forgotten one of my most favorite holiday's. Fourth of July, where the firecrackers popped in anticipation of the big fireworks show that always went off without a hitch downtown near city hall. Mom and I would drive out to see the show and then grab some late dinner after wards to talk about my new hopes for the upcoming school year. It was a tradition and I was missing it.

 

"I forgot," I said and looked deep into my bag where I knew I packed my red shirt that had flames on the front. I dug out some black pants and the heated up the flat iron to smoothen my hair out once again.

 

"So are you and Jimmy a couple yet?" Violetta asked and I whirled around.

 

"No, why do you say that?" I asked and again they giggled together.

 

"He wants to spend an awful lot of time with you alone so we're convinced he has a crush. Do you like him?" Amber asked picking up where Violetta left off.

 

"I like him as a friend," I answered trying not to feed into their gossip.

 

Eliza walked out the bathroom in her towel as a distraction. Amber and Violetta sat down at the table and started chattering their heads away about something.

 

"Do you have a tampon I could use?" Eliza asked me quietly.

 

"Yea," I said digging into my purse, "here you go."

 

Eliza went back into the bathroom quietly

 

I made a mental note that it had been awhile since I'd needed a tampon, but Amber interrupted my thoughts with:

 

"Myra, Violetta has a crush on Sonny," Amber said and Violetta turned crimson at the table.

 

'I feel sorry for you, Violetta,' I thought, but dared not say it to them.

 

"Do you think I have a chance?" Violetta asked me with her eyes gleaming with anticipation.

 

"Are you down for anything?" I asked Violetta and she cocked her head in deep thought.

 

"Sonny is a gang banger isn't he?" Amber asked me and I was getting sick of all this probing.

 

"I'm not sure, but he always has a lot of friends over. Lots of female friends," I said pointedly in hopes that Violetta would let her crush go.

 

"I am," Violetta announced happily and I could already see her dreaming of white picket fences, a puppy, and two point five children.

 

"Then go for it," I said knowing that Sonny would be interested in Violetta at first for her body and then eventually he would discard her like a used tissue.

 

Some people just had to learn on there own.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! Lots of drama, action and more complications.
Myra's life is never dull, but it doesn't seem to be
going in a good direction right now.

Great story!

Tina

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

471 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 6, 2009
Last Updated on August 11, 2009


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee