Ch. 35: Confirmation

Ch. 35: Confirmation

A Chapter by Tina Bee

"Authorities have now confirmed that the remains found earlier this week are that of fourteen year old Eliza Clovers who disappeared almost seven weeks ago. Her death has been ruled a homicide," said the voice from the television set.

 

I was lying in my bed upstairs in my room. Just as I heard the report my cell phone rang and it was a number I didn't recognize.

 

"Hello?" I answered in a voice that not even I recognized.

 

"I'm sorry Myra, but the body is that of Eliza Clovers," detective Scully said and I sighed.

 

"It's on the news already, but thank you for the call," I said and went to hang up, but I heard him speaking.

 

"...funeral plans set for Saturday morning," Detective Scully told me.

 

"Will you be there?" I asked feeling my face flush.

 

"Hopefully," Detective Scully said.

 

"I'll be there," I told him and I hung up before he could get another word in.

 

I got out of bed and went downstairs. Mom was pacing back and forth from the living room and into the kitchen.

 

"It's her!" Mom screamed at me hysterically.

 

"I know, mom, I know," I responded to her.

 

"Mrs. Parker and I are helping with the funeral arrangements. It's something I agreed to do if it ever came to this. My, God, it has come to this," Mom said quickly in a rushed voice that I could barely understand.

 

Today mom wore a blue mini skirt and a white tank top that was embroidered with opal colored beads. Her hair looked freshly curled and she wore a pair of black shiny flip flops.

 

The doorbell rang as the door flew open. Mrs. Parker was already inside the house with her daughter, Tori, trailing behind her.

 

"Are you ready?" she asked mom as she ran to the kitchen.

 

"No, not quite," Mom answered and Mrs. Parker gawked at me.

 

"Aren't you coming with us? You were among the last to see Eliza alive and I'm sure Whitney would love to talk to you," Mrs. Parker told me and I cut my eyes at her.

 

"I have no intentions of going over there to fake sympathy for gossips sake," I told Mrs. Parker and her jaw dropped.

 

"This isn't about faking anything, Mrs. Clovers' niece is dead! Dead, you hear me!" Mrs. Parker screamed at me.

 

"The whole damn neighborhood can hear you!" I screamed back at her.

 

"There's no time for this, Myra please go back up to your room until we leave," Mom said to me and I turned around and went back up the staircase.

 

Little Tori was staring at me wide eyed with the same dropped jaw her mother. They did favor, unfortunately, except Tori had been spared her mother's weight issues. At least for now.

 

"I don't know how you put up with her," Mrs. Parker said to mom as she moved in to help her carry boxes of who knows what to her car.

 

I went back into my room and got dressed. I put on a simple pair of cotton sweats and an over sized t-shirt. I intended for my day to be spent contemplating more than my possible pregnancy, but my cell phone rang yet again.

 

"Hello," I answered and it was Amber, more distraught than ever.

 

"She's gone," Amber cried into the phone.

 

"Yes, I know," I tell Amber, but this makes her wail out even more.

 

Her voice became harder to hear and Violetta had to get onto the phone.

 

"Myra," Violetta said to me.

 

"Yes," I answer.

 

"I know that you know the news already. Amber was calling to tell you about a vigil we're holding in Eliza's memory tonight at the park. Are you up for it?" Violetta asked me.

 

"Most definitely," I said when I realized my mom would let me leave unsupervised since it involved Eliza.

 

"We're going to have candles and things to leave over at the swing set since it was her favorite part of the playground," Violetta told me and I closed my eyes to chase away those memories that were now permanently glued to my brain.

 

"Violetta," I said to her, "do they know how she died?"

 

"It's a homicide," Violetta replied and that confirmed all the suspicions I'd had floating around in my mind.

 

"Do you think they'll find her did it?" I asked Violetta because she was so calm about everything.

 

"They have leads. We all gave them a good description of the guy she left with and apparently he was located last night," Violetta said to me I perked up.

 

"That's the best news I've heard since all this started," I told Violetta.

 

"It truly is. So the vigil is tonight at nine PM and bring anything you'd feel comfortable leaving out there in Eliza's memory," we both said our goodbyes and I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but I'd need help.

 

I was dressed and ready to go and so was Sonny. We hadn't really spoken much lately, but he had become sensitive to the fact that I was hurting over Eliza. When I let him know my idea he was more than willing to take me.

 

We left the house at a little before one PM and headed out to the shopping plaza about four miles from the house. The day was scorching and I had my sun shades on in order to hide my puffy eyes. Sonny came in with me and together I took the piece of paper to the front desk of the photo lab.

 

"Hi, how can I help you?" the man asked us.

 

He looked to be in his early thirties with already thinning hair. He talked with a lisp and had blond highlighted hair that was in spikes. It was obvious what his sexual preference was and I knew this would make Sonny dislike him right away so I spoke up first.

 

"I need this picture blown up if it's possible," I told him and showed him the picture of Eliza I had taken off her MySpace page and printed off.

 

"We certainly can and may I ask who this is, she's gorgeous," the man said to me with a smile.

 

"She's my, was my, friend. Eliza Clovers," I said and his smile faded.

 

"Oh, I see," he told me shaking his head in displeasure, "we've been following her case since it broke. Such a sad turn of events. I'm sorry for your loss."

 

"Thank you. How long will blowing up this picture take?" I asked him and he thought a moment.

 

"Usually two hours, but since this is for someone who's deceased we can put a thirty minute rush on it. Is there anything writing you'd like us to add to it?" he asked me and that was something I hadn't thought of.

 

"Yes, her name, birth date and death date," I said him and he picked up a post it and handed it to me.

 

"Please write the information down," he said and I could tell this whole thing disturbed him.

 

I wrote down her name, the month and year she was born and the last day she was seen alive. I handed it to him.

 

"Thank you," I said to him, "I'll be back to pick it up in thirty minutes."

 

"Wait, I need your name," he said.

 

"Oh, yes. Myra Huntington," I answered him and now he put on a full fledged grimace.

 

"I thought I recognized you," he said to me and it took all my might to just walk out of there without ripping him apart.

 

 

 

At eight forty-five I headed out the front door. The sun was gone hours ago. I could feel the twinge of fall coming in, but for now I just wanted to revel in the moment. This night was about Eliza.

 

I carried the blown up picture of her in my left hand and a candle, teddy bear, and card in the right. As I approached the park I could see small flickers of light going. The Crew was already there, gathered around the swing set just like Violetta had told me.

 

No one saw me approaching, but when I got close Robbie and Scott cleared the way so I could place picture up against the swing that I'd dubbed, "Eliza's" and I set down everything I'd brought in the large circle of affects everyone had already placed before me.

 

Amber let out an anguished wail at the sight of Eliza's picture which was a blown up portrait of her face, in color, but I knew not where it had been taken. There were no other pictures of Eliza here and I wasn't sure that this was the proper gift for her. My insecurities were washed away when Crystal spoke.

 

"That's Eliza's best picture. She took it back in June when we were at the Flip-Huff show. Remember, guys?" Crystal said.

 

"Yes, we all remember that. Eliza was always so full of life. She always had a smile that never stopped and she was never afraid to help a friend out," Nick spoke up and when he was done we stood there in a moment of silence.

 

The candles were going strong. Dom stepped up to my recent addition and lit it. I had already stepped back and was standing next to Jimmy when I saw Greg.

 

This was neither the time nor place for questions so I focused on the memorial.

 

We were out there for two hours. It ended with us going over the jungle gym set and sitting down. Violetta and Amber had already gone back home because Amber was completely inconsolable.

 

Crystal and I were the only females out there and she sat next to me and gave me a hug.

 

"Not trying to get all emotional and mushy, but blame it on my hormones. Last week I went to the doctor's because I've been feeling sick and we found out that I'm pregnant," Crystal revealed to me and I looked at her and smiled.

 

Crystal was only an inch shorter than me, but we had the same body type except her breasts were fuller and her bottom slimmer. Her hair was a sandy brownish blondish color that she kept really long. She had dimples on each of her cheeks with soft green eyes that shone under the glow of her candle which she still held. Her eyebrows were kept waxed and had a straight nose. Tonight she wore a black hoodie, black jeans, with black tennis shoes. I couldn't see any bump yet.

 

"Congratulations," I told her, "how far along are you?"

 

"I'm not sure yet, but I have another doctor's appointment on Monday. I didn't want to announce it before the vigil, but it's hard to contain my excitement over my little bean," Crystal gushed and I almost revealed my pregnancy to her, but I decided to wait.

 

"Is Robbie excited?" I asked her and she grinned.

 

"Very. We've been trying for a few months, but nothing was happening so we gave up and then bam I got a positive test," Crystal said and she laughed.

 

I envied her excitement. I still didn't know how to feel over the same events which were going on in my body.

 

"Where are you going for your doctor's appointment?" I asked her.

 

"Downtown to this clinic that handles pregnant mothers with no insurance. The state is going to pay for everything since I'm technically a runaway," Crystal said and this was new information to me.

 

"The state would do that?" I asked her and she laughed again.

 

"Of course. Pregnancy is a condition which demands first priority. Once you're pregnant you get things handed to you for free, basically," Crystal explained to me and I stored everything she was saying in my brain.

 

"So you haven't told you parents yet?" I asked her and she frowned.

 

"They moved four states away three years ago when I was thirteen. I didn't want to go and so they left me here and Robbie took me in," Crystal said as if that were the perfect love story.

 

"Oh I see," I said as Robbie moved over toward us.

 

"Hey Myra, how are you holding up?" Robbie asked me.

 

Robbie was about five foot eleven. He had dark brown hair with brown eyes. His nose was wider and shorter than Crystal's. He was a little heavier around the edges, but his height hid most of the excess except for when he was sitting like this. He wore all black too, but the earring in his right ear was illuminated by Crystal's candle and it was bright red.

 

"I'm holding up ok. I haven't been able to get Eliza out of my mind," I told him and he nodded with understanding.

 

"This has been intense, but for Eliza's sake I hope they catch the sick f**k who did this," Robbie said.

 

"I hope so too," I said to them.

 

"Well, babe, it's time to get you two home for the night, don't you think?" Robbie said to Crystal and she giggled.

 

"He's already a doting father," Crystal said to me and I smiled with her as they both stood up to leave.

 

"The funeral is Saturday morning, will you be there?" I asked the both of them.

 

"Of course. Cameron, you're driving us to the funeral, right?" Robbie called to Cameron who was standing with Greg, Scott, Jimmy, Nick, and Dom smoking.

 

"Damn, straight!" Cameron called back.

 

"We'll caravan it in Eliza's honor. She was always up for anything," Robbie said as he held Crystal's hand and led her down the jungle gym steps.

 

"See you on Saturday, Myra," Crystal called out to me.

 

"See you then," I said to her and she and Robbie disappeared quickly in the night.

 

I sat there alone watching the candle in Eliza's honor move jump around. The way they hit her picture made the whole thing very eerie. I leaned back a bit to watch the stars. I knew Eliza was up there watching down over us and this gave me great comfort.

 

Greg made his way over to me slowly.

 

"I'll walk you home," he said to and I stared at him for a long while.

 

"I don't want to let her go," I told him and I could feel the tears coming on.

 

"You have to, Myra, for your health. Eliza is in a better place. Trust me on this one," Greg said to me.

 

His words were like the softest margarine gliding onto a piece of hot, dry toast. I got up from where I was and Greg extended his arm out to me and I took it. We passed by the boys who were left standing and talking.

 

"I hope to see you all on Saturday," I told them.

 

"You will," Scott said to me through the cigarette in his mouth.

 

"Jim, I'll call you tomorrow when I wake up," Greg told Jimmy.

 

"Good looking, brother," Jimmy said to Greg and I whipped my head to look at Greg who gave Jimmy a thumbs up.

 

We walked together in silence under the starry night with no breeze to be felt. The night was far from stifling and I was glad I hadn't worn a jacket. When I finally spoke to Greg I let my heart out.

 

"Last night I took a pregnancy test and the result was positive," I blurted to him.

 

"I knew you were pregnant," was all Greg responded to me with a bit of sadness in his voice.

 

"What's wrong?" I asked him and he wouldn't let it out, "Greg, you and me we've been through hell and back together. I'm sure you can tell me what's eating you."

 

"The thing is," Greg started, "I know it's my baby."

 

"How can you know that? I haven't even been to a doctor's office yet," I said to Greg who just continued walking.

 

"Well then go, get the ultrasound and the date of your conception will match up with the night we had sex," Greg told me and I felt him let go of my arm.

 

"So what if it does? What are you going to do about it? You're leaving remember for college in December, remember?" I said to him as I picked my pace up to leave him behind.

 

"I don't have to go! I can stay here," Greg told me and I shook my head no.

 

"You deserve an education. Don't let me hold you back. Go and prosper, I can handle this on my own," I told Greg, but he wouldn't let me get away.

 

"How can you tell me something like that when this whole time I've been telling you my heart belongs to you and you only?" Greg asked me and this time we stopped just short of his house.

 

"What about Cadence?" I asked him in a huff.

 

"She's just a girl. I can blow her off. You are more important to me, you always have been even when you make me angry," Greg said to me and my heart melted.

 

"That's not fair to her," I said, but I had no resistance left in my voice.

 

"It doesn't matter, all I want is to be with you," Greg said to me and before I knew it were had embraced one another in a long kiss.

 

"What are you going to do about Columbia?" I asked him when we let each other go.

 

"They can always wait," Greg said to me.

 

My mind was racing now with all the possibilities. Doing this entire pregnancy by myself was scary and if I could have Greg's support, even if I wasn't sure he was the father, would be a blessing. However deep down inside of me I knew the best thing Greg could do was get as far away from me as possible.

 

"No, you need to go. Don't break things off with Cadence yet. I need to find out how far along I am and then see if I even want to keep it," I told him and he looked pained.

 

"You would get rid of it?" Greg asked me.

 

"Well what if it's not yours?" I asked him, but the look on his face didn't change.

 

"I don't care, I'll be there for the both of you anyways!" Greg said staring me in my eyes.

 

"Go to school and when you come back in the summer the baby will be here and we can discuss our next move," I told Greg and now I was walking home.

 

"If that's what you want," Greg said to me, but this time he stayed in place.

 

I walked up my driveway and looked back down the street. Greg was still standing there watching me so I waved to him before I went up to the door. Once inside I saw that a small light in the kitchen was on. This was unusual so I went in to see who was in there. When I found mom sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of tea and the pregnancy test box I knew I was in a heap of trouble.

 

"I'm back," I told her and she looked up at me.

 

"I was doing some cleaning in my bathroom and I found this empty box shoved back where it didn't belong. I'm very particular about where I put my things, Myra, you know that," Mom said to me and I felt the sweat pooling on my brow.

 

"I found it on accident and then I must've knocked it out of place, sorry," I said quickly and turned to leave, but mom stopped me.

 

"That's not all I found. With good reason I went upstairs and into your bathroom where this," mom said holding up the pregnancy test from last night, "was glaring up at me from the edge of your tub."

 

"It's not mine," I lied to her and I knew it sounded stupid, but it was better than the truth.

 

"This isn't totally out of the blue. You've been sexually active without using protection. So what are you, a month along now?" Mom asked me.

 

"More like two and a half maybe," I said to her and she gasped.

 

"You mean this will be Langston's baby?" Mom asked me and I knew that telling her it was possible Greg's would be the death of any support he could offer me.

 

"Yes," I said and I didn't even feel bad lying to her.

 

"Then we'll take you to the clinic and get it taken care of," Mom said and it was like she had everything planned out already.

 

"I don't want to have it taken care of," I told her and she snapped her head up at me.

 

"You will not have any child born under those circumstances under my roof!" Mom said to me and I knew she was being honest.

 

"Well then I won't be under your roof," I said to her and walked away from her.

 

Mom didn't come after me and I went quickly up the stairs and into my room. I took my cell phone out and turned it off. Then I got dressed for bed and went to sleep. I had a rough week ahead of me.



© 2013 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Myra is really in a mess now. Who is going to be there for her now? It seems she
is always looking for someone stronger than her to lean on and can't find anyone
to always be there for her, no matter what. Possibly that is why she acts out so
much, trying to get the attention she really needs.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

512 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 2, 2013


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee