Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Tina Kline

    Joshie and Mandie were waiting on the porch of Mr. Grey and Maple’s house where they were currently staying.

    Their large round grey eyes were eagerly scanning the area around the house, their furry pointed ears were turned forward and it was obvious they were eagerly waiting for something or someone.

    And they were oblivious to the dark glances coming their way from many Wolf People who were not at all happy they were in the Village at all.

    “Look.” said Miss Starfire as they approached the house. “They’re waiting for us.”

    “Someone must have told them we were coming.” Mr. Hunter replied.

    “No doubt Mr. Grey or Maple.” said Mr. Thunder. “Watch out Mr. Hunter. They’ll soon be all over you!”

    Mr. Hunter snorted. “I’m sure it’s Armand they want.”

    “But Armand isn’t available.” Miss Starfire said sweetly.

    “Be careful Wolf Sister.” Growled Mr. Hunter but he was smiling. He loved his twin and knew she loved him.

    The Other Twins quickly spotted them and laughed with delight. Mandie clapped her hands.

    They had taken to wearing differently styled outfits so it was easy to tell them apart. Plus the outfit Mandie wore was a color of dark grey instead of the traditional black the Wolf People wore.

    “Mr. Hunter!” Mandie called.

    “Hi!” called out Joshie.

    This drew the attention of several Wolf People who lived near Mr. Grey and Maple. They frowned at the two Others then quickly looked away.

    They knew the reason their Pack Leader kept the Others here and knew it was for a good reason. Still, most of the Pack didn’t like these Others and didn’t trust them.

    “Mandie! Joshie!” Miss Starfire called back and waved.

    As Miss Starfire, Mr. Hunter and Mr. Thunder reached the house Maple emerged.

    “Hello!” She said to them as they started up the porch steps. “So nice of you to visit.” She had a knowing look in her eye.

    Maple knew why they were visiting just as well as they themselves did.

    It was Mandie and Joshie who didn’t know the real reason behind the visit.

    “Hi Maple.” said Miss Starfire. Then to the Other Twins she said, “Hi you two. How are you two doing?”

    “We’re fine.” answered Joshie. “How is Armand?  When is he going to visit us?”

    “Armand is fine and I don’t know when he is going to visit.” answered Miss Starfire.

    “The porch is crowded. Why don’t we all go inside?” suggested Maple.

    “Sounds good to me.” said Mr. Thunder.

    Maple led the way into her home. Her and Mr. Grey’s house was no larger than Mr. Black’s house. It had a second bedroom which had been quickly added to accommodate Joshie and Mandie.

    And like all bedrooms it was only big enough to fit two beds, a dresser for the Other Twins clothes, and a small set of shelves. There was a small table between the two beds.

    The sun was rapidly moving across the sky and soon it would be setting. Coyotes sang from somewhere near the village. A strong fragrance of elk rode the breeze that rippled through the Village that caught the Wolf People’s attention.

    A large bird circled slowly over the village looking for dead to feed upon. Its head was turned sideways and one eye was focused on the land below it as it hunted for a dead body to feed upon. Hunger rode hard in its stomach.

    Once inside the house Maple went to the kitchen to occupy herself, thus leaving Miss Starfire, Mr. Hunter and Mr. Thunder to work on Mandie and Joshie.

    She hoped they’d be able to get useful information out of them quickly. She really didn’t want the Other Twins in her home any longer than necessary. They were nice children but she was just uncomfortable with them in her home.

    The whole Village was unhappy about their presence but Maple knew too they were proud of her sacrifice in helping with the Cause. The Cause being dealing with these strangers who had invaded their forest.

    Miss Starfire sat on the couch, Mandie and Joshie squeezing in beside her.

    Mr. Hunter and Mr. Thunder chose to sit in other comfy chairs in the room.

    Everyone was smiling at each other.

    Miss Starfire made a high pitched giggle.

    Mr. Thunder coughed and cleared his throat.

    Mandie and Joshie were smiling broadly at Mr. Hunter exposing all their sharp teeth.

    “Well, Mandie and Joshie, how has it been living here?” Mr. Hunter asked.

    “Very nice.” said Mandie.

    “Maple lets us cook our meat. We can’t eat it raw.” said Joshie.

    “And she lets us cook greens as well.” said Mandie.

    “Greens?” asked Mr. Thunder.

    Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter knew what ‘greens’ were. They resisted making faces at the thought of eating these ‘greens’.

    “Roots, stalks and leaves.” answered Joshie.

    “Oh.” Replied Mr. Thunder, quickly deciding he didn’t want to know anymore. He remembered something about them eating plants when he, Armand, Miss Feather and Quetzal had met the Others back in the magic sick part of the forest. Thinking about eating plants made his stomach churn in protest so he stopped thinking about eating ‘greens’ at all.

    “Do you like your sleeping room?” Miss Starfire asked.

    “It’s nice.” said Joshie turning to face her. “But small.”

    “Our rooms were much bigger in our home.” explained Mandie.

    “Your home is much bigger?” asked Mr. Hunter.

    “Oh yes! You should visit our home when we return Mr. Hunter! You’d be welcome.” said Joshie.

    “Maybe I will.” said Mr. Hunter.

    “You could live with us.” said Joshie. “Shasta would let you if we wanted it.”

    “And we do. You and Armand.” said Mandie.

    “You live with a lot of people?” Mr. Hunter asked.

    “Just Shasta and Kyle.” said Mandie.

    “Where are all your other people?” asked Mr. Hunter.

    “Oh, they live close. We have lots of space in between homes, unlike you have here.” said Mandie.

    “Lots of people? Like this Village?” Mr. Hunter asked.

    “We have a lot more people than you have here.” answered Mandie.

    At hearing that Miss Starfire, Mr. Hunter and Mr. Thunder glanced briefly at each other in concern.

    In the kitchen Maple just kept herself from gasping at hearing that bit of information on the Others. It was a serious concern, she knew.

   

   

   



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can feel sorry for Mandie and Joshie even though they aren't completely innocent. But the Wolf People are getting some info out of them. The suspense is building nicely in this, it keeps the interest of the reader.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Looks like the Wolf people are outnumbered... Wonder what else these people have up their sleeves.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cool part about 'greens' and the Wolf Kid's dislike for them. Getting the Others out of the forest looks difficult for the Wolf People since there are alot of the Others. Cool chapter. Looking forward to more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh no! Well at least they know beforehand... wonder how muchmore they'll be bale to get out of them? I'm so curious about their "people"

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Miss Starfire, Mr. Hunter and Mr. Thunder are starting to get info from the Other Twins. Wonder how much they're going to get?

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2010
Last Updated on April 18, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 10 Chapter 10

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 17 Chapter 17

A Chapter by Tina Kline