Filmed in front of a live studio audience

Filmed in front of a live studio audience

A Chapter by chucklez

Filmed in front of a live studio audience
     At one point, I think I was registered with 19 different casting companies, covering many types of work, in show business. Once, a group of us, got paid, to be greeters, at a company party, in Hollywood.
     We also did market research, internet commercials, modeling, photo shoots, and even video games, just to name a few. For me, it was more about getting work, than “pursuing my craft.” In my opinion, the best work is on feature films. Commercials are good too, and the potential for a really good payday, is pretty high. Especially if you are a SAG member. My best single payday, was on a commercial. I played a scientist, who was testing barbeque grills. Still, my favorite is feature films. They are much more fun.
     At the other end, of the spectrum, are info-mercials, and audience work. Info-mercials are pretty bad. You are required to laugh, cry, applaud, and even give testimony, about the wonderful product, being sold. Most of the products, are things you never heard of, and aren’t likely to purchase, anyway. We did one info-mercial, where Fran Tarkenton, of  NFL fame, was the host. Every time the sales people pointed out one of the features, of the device, they were hawking, I yelled, “That’s Incredible!“ You may remember Fran Tarkenton from the 1970’s TV show, of the same name. I think he was not happy with me. I never worked an info-mercial, for any product, that I thought, was worth a damn. Even though, absolutely everything we tried to sell, had the ability to, “Change Your Life.” Yeah, right.
     Audience work is worse. If your show, sucks so hard, you have to pay people, to see it, there is something wrong with this picture. “I need you to laugh, at the same thing, all day. Even if it is no longer funny, or never funny, to begin with.” This is so we can say, “Filmed in front of a live studio audience.” 
     Game shows, sitcoms, talk shows, etc. Casting did not want us to mention getting paid. The tourists, who were working, for free, might be offended, if they knew. I worked several crowd scenes, this way. The people who worked for free, were called volunteers. Production usually tried to keep the volunteers, and the paid extras separated, but it never worked out that way. Sometimes they would stage a contest, or raffle, and give cash, or prizes, to the volunteers. Paid extras were discouraged from participating, in these events, but we did anyway. We felt that if you were not getting paid, to be on set, you deserved whatever happened, good, or bad. I once won a free video, in a celebrity look-alike contest, on the set of “Little Nicky.” I was getting SAG wages at the time, and had an all access pass, while on set. Show business is a set of extremes. When it sucks, it really sucks. When it is good, it is fantastic!
     The good shows have people lined around the block, willing to work, for free. The bad shows have to pay. Cheap productions, have to pay too. “I need 800 people, but I can only pay 300. Lets advertise!” “Want to be in a real Hollywood movie? Call 1-800-I am stupid. Work long hours! For no pay! Maybe we will feed you, maybe not! Win cash, or prizes! Maybe get discovered!  Work side by side, with a real Hollywood movie star! Fun for the whole family! Yeah, right.
     Finally, there are the “Seat Fillers.” Production wants the audience, to appear full, at all times, so they hire extras, to sit down, whenever someone, already seated, gets up. I know someone who did this at the Academy Awards ceremony. She was star struck, so it was good for her. I never signed up to be a seat filler. I did not want to put “Seat Filler,” on my resume.


© 2015 chucklez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So interesting the content of this story. But unfortunately, I'm knocked into a comma coma.

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
1 Review
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015


Author

chucklez
chucklez

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by chucklez


Casting Casting

A Chapter by chucklez