The Guild

The Guild

A Chapter by chucklez

                           The Guild


     Most extras are not members, of the Screen Actors Guild, when they first start working. I am sure there may be exceptions, but most are non-union. Years ago, the extras had their own union, but at some point it was incorporated into SAG. I do not know the circumstances behind this, nor do I care. It happened before I started working, as an extra. Besides, I was only trying to get paid. I was not interested in the politics, of my job. Getting into SAG is not easy, but you may be surprised at some of the many things, extras will do, just to get a union card.

     One guy told me, he got in, because casting was looking for someone, who could toss, pizza dough. He can call himself a background artist. This is how talent gets you noticed. It is one thing, to get noticed, by casting. Still another, to get noticed, by the crew. Neither compares, to getting noticed, by a director. Especially if he, or she, likes you. Just don’t lie, about your ability. If you tell casting, you can toss pizza dough, you better be good, at it. Apparently, this guy was good enough, to get called back, several times. Good enough that people wrote letters, to the production company, asking who was the guy tossing pizza. Good for him. 

     I was told, by my peers, that I got into the guild, because I did not care if I got in, or not. I did not have “desperation,” written all over my face. I never really considered it. To be a big deal. If I had 5 cents, for every time someone asked me, if I was a union member, I could have retired. Some people, had been rumored to have traded sexual favors, or other gifts, to get into, the guild. I did not personally witness, or engage, in any such behavior, but I heard about it. 

     Someone else, I knew, got into the guild, because he had a classic car. Still another, let the production company destroy his car. A woman, who got in, because of past experience, as a nurse. You need to have something that casting, or production, is looking for. 

     I had wardrobe. Lots of wardrobe. I was able, to change clothes, 10 times, on a set, once. The wardrobe lady actually kissed me. I was the only one, who met the prerequisite requirement, for taking the job. Everyone else lied about their ability. I distinctly remember , the recording saying, “ Do not submit for this job, unless you can bring 10 changes, of clothes.” So the wardrobe department, had difficulty, with everyone, except me. I am very proud, of this incident. At the end of the day, in addition to my regular pay, plus overtime, I got an additional 60 dollars, for bringing, the required clothing. 

     There were many occasions, where casting, and production, were happy with my own personal wardrobe. All you need to do, is dress the part, and not be over the top. Remember, you are invisible. Once, casting asked me if I knew how to play “Blackjack.” I replied, “Vegas style, or at home with family?” I got the booking. They were also looking for a nice business suit, and at the time, I owned 5 of them. 

     I have heard stories, of extras, who go to a set, get established, on camera, near a principle actor, and then refuse to return, unless they get union work. While they may be both creative, and resourceful, in my opinion, these people, are a******s. Nothing good, comes from blackmail. Knowing someone is good too. I am not speaking in the biblical sense, but I suppose some have used this method. I do not recommend it.

     Not everyone, who becomes eligible, joins the Guild, right away. Some do not join, at all. Some do not like the guild. Some make enough money, without joining. Others cannot afford the initiation fee, which, when I joined, was twice the 8 hour pay, for a day player, or approximately 1200 dollars. A lot of money for you, if you are making minimum wage. The competition, for union work, is fierce, and some just cannot be bothered. “Half a loaf, is better than none.” I have issues with anyone, or anything, that wants to tell me, when I can, and cannot work. 

     I did not join right away, and after I did, I still took non-union work. A lot of extras must do this, just to survive. It is not easy, to get a return, on all the money, you must invest, if you want to work, as an extra. Cell phone/pager, wardrobe, sign up fees, transportation, photos, etc., all must be provided, by you. Sometimes casting will take a commission, from you, whether they book you, or not. These things are not cheap. You can work union, for 3 days, and make 1000 dollars, if you are so lucky. Or you could work 10 days, non-union, and make the same money. I would take whichever opportunity, presented itself first. I did not, and still do not care, how anyone feels about it. At the time, I was paying child support, and loyalty to the guild stops, where hungry children, and possible jail time start. I’m sure the guild is good, for some people, but only if you are a principle actor. In my experience, the guild does not like extras very much. Perhaps this has changed, but I doubt it. If you are an extra, I feel it is better for you to have steady work, before joining the guild. The raise in pay is useless, if you are not working. 

     There are a lot of special interest groups. Classic cars, motorcycles, military, police, doctors, etc. These groups provide a service, casting wants, and it is helpful, to a casting director, if he, or she can book 30 people, with one phone call, instead of booking them, one at a time. There are calling services too, that provide the same thing. I used a few of them, because I did not want to be on the phone all the time, trying to get booked. It was nice, to get a call, saying, you were already booked. I will only say this about calling services. The one I used the longest, was the one that treated me the best, got me the most work, and the best jobs. In my opinion, the rest of them sucked. 


© 2015 chucklez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015


Author

chucklez
chucklez

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by chucklez