Frailty

Frailty

A Chapter by chucklez

Frailty

     “Frailty,” was a film, about a man, who claimed to be called by God, to destroy evil, on earth. He brought his children with him, to do this work, which included killing people, who were supposedly demons, in disguise. The children were assured that they would be protected from the laws of man, while they did his “work.” One of the weapons used to kill these demons, was an axe. It was a pretty strange film, in my opinion, but I did not care, because I was happy to get the work. I certainly worked on stranger productions, for less money. This was Bill Paxton’s directorial debut, and I believe the film did not do as well as it could have, because of the subject matter. Most people hate it when you say, “God told me to kill someone.” 

     I was booked as “Townspeople,” and they booked my truck, as well, so I got a pay bump. The first day, I was a barely visible, pedestrian, on the sidewalk. I was hardly used, and spent most of my time, sitting in my truck. We shot these scenes, in Orange, CA. I did not feel like driving home, when we wrapped, so I slept on set, in my truck, the first night. I did not sleep, for long, because we did not wrap until very late, and the sun woke me, in the morning. I slept pretty good though. Not the first time, I spent the night, in my car, while on set. The production company did not care, so neither did I.

     When I showed up, at the wardrobe department, on the second day, there was another extra in line ahead of me, who was booked to play a small town sheriff’s deputy. He was told by wardrobe, that he needed to lose his facial hair, for this job. He refused, so he was sent home. I was next in line, and I was clean shaven. They said to me, “Do you mind wearing a police uniform?” I replied, “Not at all.” Next I waited, while other people were consulted, I guess, and after about 15 minutes, they said, “OK, you are our deputy.” I was then outfitted with a sheriffs deputy uniform. I thought this might include another pay bump, but it didn’t. It did elevate my status, in the film. I was not the only law, in town, but I do not remember seeing my boss, the sheriff, on the days I worked the film. 

     We shot several scenes, in, and around the sheriff’s station. Working closely, with Bill Paxton, was a lesson, in what to expect, should you move up the ladder, in show business. You will be required to work. Period. Some people still believe movie making is glamorous. Glamour only comes, if at all, after the film is made, and only if the film is successful. It never happens without long hours, of hard work. I sat in the hair, and makeup trailer, for over 2 hours, on the set of “Buddy.” When I emerged, I was one handsome SOB. I still have a picture, from that day, and it remains one of the few pictures, of myself, that I like.

     Mr. Paxton, and I got along pretty well. At dinner, he introduced me to the producer, saying, He is your boss.” As I shook his hand, I said, “He is everybody’s boss.” We got into a conversation about the movie, “Twister.” I told Mr. Paxton, that I had never seen a tornado, live in person before, but a tornado touched down about 2, or 3 blocks from where I was living, one night. It was pretty scary. Flying debris. Very loud wind, and sideways rain. Could not see the funnel, and that was the really scary part. It could be anywhere. Mr. Paxton said he thought “Twister,” was a great movie. I said I liked it too, and that I keep a copy, of the film. I have seen movies involving tornadoes, since then, that are more realistic.

     We were filming a scene outside, and I was being directed to back away, from the camera. I was 12 to 15 feet away, and still moving back, when my foot struck something. A large pile of coiled, and bundled, electrical wiring, was blocking my path. To large to step over, or around, and stepping on one of the bundles, would have raised my height, by as much as a foot, instantly, and would have been very obvious, so I stopped. “Why are you stopping? Keep going!,” Mr. Paxton demanded. Most productions hate the idea, of an extra that costs to much money. I looked back at the bundles of wire. “Goddammitt, keep going!,” he barked. I still did not move, or say anything. He stepped out, from behind the camera, and started walking toward me. He did not look happy. He walked right up to the bundles of wire, ignoring me altogether. “What is this s**t doing here?!,” he yelled. Then he notice me, still standing there. “I am sorry I yelled at you. Go take a break.” I walked off to see if there was anything cold, to drink, at the craft service table. About 30 minutes later, I got called back, to set. When I returned, Mr. Paxton apologized again, and we resumed shooting. The coils of wire, were now gone, and I bet somebody else, got yelled at, for leaving them there, in the first place. I was able to back all the way up, like Mr. Paxton wanted, and we finished shooting, the scene. I do not think this scene made it, into the finished film. 

     There is a segment, of the film, where the older, of the 2 children involved, is across the street, from the police station, trying to screw up the courage, to go and tell the Sherriff, that his father is killing people. I come out to see why this boy is loitering, outside my police station. The direction, from Mr. Paxton, was priceless. “Come outside. Look at the boy. OK, close the door. Stand sideways, so you don’t have your back, to the camera. Look at the boy again. OK, let your mind wander. Think about donuts, pizza, and a big fat steak. Now concentrate on the boy. OK, forget him, and think about donuts. Now look at him again. All right, go back inside, and forget about him.” This took way longer, than it sounds, and I bet they got 3-5 minutes of me standing in front of the sheriff’s office, dreaming of donuts, on film. I am visible, in the film, for maybe 3 seconds. It was still a lot of fun, and the pay was pretty good too! When the scene was finished, Mr. Paxton said, “Come and see me, before you go home tonight.” I spent the rest of the day, either watching the filming, or hanging out in the extras holding area.

     When we wrapped, I got my paperwork signed. Then I went to find Mr. Paxton. I found him in the trailer being used, as the production office. He stepped outside the trailer, and closed the door. He stuck his hand out, and said, “Thanks again, for all your work. I’m sorry I yelled at you, and I promise, you WILL be in this movie.” He has a very large smile, and I smiled back at him, and said, “No worries. This shoot was a lot of fun.” He opened the door to the production office. As he went back inside, he said, “Thanks again. See you in the movies.” “Good night,” I replied, and I walked off to get my truck, and go home. The film was released, and Mr. Paxton was true to his word, I am in the movie. Thanks Bill.

     


© 2015 chucklez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
Added on February 2, 2015
Last Updated on February 2, 2015


Author

chucklez
chucklez

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by chucklez