Escape From L A

Escape From L A

A Chapter by chucklez

 Escape From LA
     I do not remember exactly where we were, when I worked on this film, but I do remember that it was a very large set. At least 6, or 7 city blocks, if not more, dressed up to look like Los Angeles, after a major earthquake. It was a fantastic job of set dressing. I was booked as a vendor, inside what was left of the Hollywood, Sunset strip area, of town. I was placed in a makeshift storefront, with all kinds of different junk, available for purchase.
     Once again, when I arrived on set, the wardrobe department said I could wear my own clothing. The only thing they gave me was a floor length, genuine black leather coat, with a thick sheepskin liner, inside it. I remember saying to the wardrobe guy, “This thing is heavy.” He smiled, and said, “You will thank me, before the night is over.” It was a night shoot, and the night was cold, so he was right. One other interesting thing about this coat. Over the course, of the evening, several of my co-workers suggested I let the production company keep my paperwork, and just take the coat, home, with me. They said I would never be able to afford, such a coat, working as a non-union extra. They said a new one would cost at least 300 dollars, and this one was better anyway, because it already looked worn. They reminded me of how much work, a coat like this, could get me. I was already aware of how a certain piece of clothing, could help you get work, having gotten a lot of work, in the past, because I owned quite a few business suits, but I did not take their suggestions. I returned the coat, when we wrapped, for the day.
     There was another makeshift store right next to mine, and in between the 2 stores, production had placed a large flaming torch. So, once again, I had fire nearby, but I really did not need it, because of the coat. The torch did cause the scantily-clad girls, working near me, who were booked as hookers, to hang out in, and around, my “store,” so not only was I warm all night, I had eye candy too! The front of my store, had a counter, but no walls, or roof, so I guess I had to live there, to protect all of my priceless junk. About 2 feet, in front of my store was a dirt road. It was lined on both sides with vendors, junk, wrecked cars, rubble, and an occasional car on fire, as well as extras, dressed as prisoners, in what is now, after this major earthquake, the island prison, of Los Angeles. Gotta love it!
     We film a segment, of the film, starting with, the bad guy, “Cuervo Jones,” riding down the road, in front of my store, with the president’s daughter, in a red 1959 Cadillac convertible, with a disco ball on it, giving some sort of speech, about uniting the prisoners, and taking over the world. Yeah, right. Then our hero, “Snake,” snatches another bad guy off a motorcycle, and attempts to chase down, the real bad guy. He gets cornered, but evades capture, with the infamous, “Bangkok Rules” gunfight. If you do not understand all this, I suggest you see the movie. The sequel is just as ridiculous, as the original. I am barely visible, for about 1 second, as “Snake,” rides past my store. 
     We also filmed the scene wear “Snake,” is required to shoot a basketball, and score every 10 seconds, to avoid getting shot. I was a cheering spectator, not visible, in the film. I still got paid, though.
     At lunch, one of the many TV shows, that show up, on set, to let the public know, what is going on, in Hollywood, got a Q&A/Interview, with Kurt Russell. We were encouraged to participate, but I was not interested. I went, and ate lunch. Then I hung out in the extras holding area, until production, called us, back to set. A lot of my colleagues were envious, of my coat. I did get to see Mr. Russell. The costume, he was wearing looked better, on camera, than it did, in person. I doubt it was very warm too, because Mr. Russell looked cold, to me. 
     It had been well over 10 years since, “Escape From New York.” I had seen Kurt Russell in other productions, but I remembered him most from his days with Disney. I went with my family, to the theatre, to see, “The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes,” during it’s first run. I have never seen that movie again, or even heard much about it since then. I had to go online to find out if it was still around. I was 10 years old, when I saw my first Kurt Russell movie. He did several movies, for Disney, and I saw them all. A lot of people do not know he worked for Disney. Maybe he likes it that way. I really enjoyed, “Executive Decision.” I thought Kurt Russell did an excellent job, and I especially liked the fact that Steven Segal’s character dies, early in the film. Of course his resume is a lot larger, and displays way more talent, than what I have mentioned. From Dexter Reilly, to Elvis, to Snake Plissken, to Wyatt Earp, the list goes on. Kurt Russell can play the part of every man. Not an easy thing to do. I never got to meet Kurt Russell, but who knew that 40 years after seeing him in the movies, for the first time, I would end up working on a film, he starred in? I’m just Glad it was not a Disney movie.


© 2015 chucklez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015


Author

chucklez
chucklez

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by chucklez