Artificial Intelligence

Artificial Intelligence

A Chapter by chucklez

Artificial Intelligence


     According to my information, “Artificial Intelligence,” started out, as a Stanley Kubrick film. You may remember him from, “A Clockwork Orange,” “Full Metal Jacket,” and “Eyes Wide shut.” I was told that he passed away, during the filming, of “A I,” and Steven Speilberg finished directing the movie. I do not know if this is true, or not, but Mr. Speilberg was directing the film, when I worked on it.

   We were spectators, at an event where man-made robotic, human looking life forms, with artificial intelligence, were being destroyed. It was a campaign to prevent such creatures, from being created, in the first place. Including the extras, there was easily over a thousand people, on set. We shot at the “Spruce Goose” dome, next to the Queen Mary, in Long Beach, CA.

   Before we went to set, production announced that there were 8 sections, inside the dome. They said we should all pick a section, and go sit there. Of course Me, and my friends, all decided on section 8.   Section 8, is a military term, for a soldier, who has gone insane. It is also used to describe federally funded housing. We just wanted to be in the section 8 group. We did not know it, but this placed us close to where Steven Speilberg, was working, so we got to watch him work. 

   The dome was darkened inside, to make it look like night. It had a stage, on one side, as well as vendor booths. We even had a fake full moon. Most of the time we talked, among ourselves, or played cards. We sang at least one song. I cannot remember if it was, ”America the Beautiful,” or the National Anthem. A female body-builder, led us, in song, wearing a red, white, and blue outfit. I got a chance, to speak to her. She had the sweetest voice, and it was a sharp contrast, to her muscle bound body. 

   There were many more surprises, on this set. Among them, was the fact that we ate like kings. Usually on a call, this large, the union, and non-union workers ate separately. We all ate the same food. Everybody got served prime rib. Craft service, which provides snacks, for all the workers, was outstanding, as well. I never saw so many, “Krispy Kreme,” donuts, in my life.

   A guy I had met, on another set, told us he was an opera singer, who had taken a “year off,” and was doing extra work, just for fun. Of course we were all skeptical. Right up until we were asked, to sing. He tapped me, on the shoulder, and said, “Watch this.” Then he began singing in a loud voice, that rose above, and beyond, everyone else, in the dome. Nobody noticed right away, but suddenly we saw ourselves on the big screen. Production had turned the cameras, on us. When the song was over, the applause was thunderous. “What are you going to do if they ask you to sing for the movie?” I inquired. “I will get at least 500 dollars, or it aint gonna happen.” He replied. “ 500 dollars is a lot of money,” I said. “ It’s toilet paper, for Speilberg,” he cracked, “besides, opera singers don’t come cheap. “ He was not asked to sing again, but later, in the evening, when work was over, for the day, he sang a French, love song, for us, and people were coming out of the woodwork, to see where the song was originating. 

   One of the non-union extras, attempted to take some food, from the union table, to impress a girl. He got sent home. The next day, he came back, with a different hair style. He got sent home again. His third attempt, was to pretend, he was someone else, and work under an assumed name. He was caught, and again he was sent home. He should have been arrested. Guys like this, piss me off, because they make it harder, for the rest of us. I worked on “A I” for multiple days.

   At one point, Steven Speilberg, came up, into the stands, and asked if we were all ok, or if we needed anything. The only director, I ever worked with, to do this. Another time the assistant directors were having a hard time getting the extras, to be quiet. Mr. Speilberg got up on stage, and said, “I really need it to be quiet in here, so we can get this shot.” Instant silence. Never saw over a thousand people, all shut the f**k up, at the same time. Talk about commanding respect. The movie did not do very well, at the box office, but it was a lot of fun, to work on.


© 2015 chucklez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015


Author

chucklez
chucklez

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by chucklez