Sports 2

Sports 2

A Chapter by chucklez

  Sports 2
     This chapter deals with other sports. Sports like cheerleading, gymnastics, bowling, professional wrestling, tennis, car, and motorcycle racing, horse racing, professional baseball, and stupid baseball. Speaking of stupid, we did a soap commercial, featuring a guy, no one ever heard of, jumping a motorcycle. We also did a commercial for “Nike,” that featured, Jackie Joyner Kersee. I remember it because casting encouraged us to wear anything, with the “Nike” logo, and at the time, I owned a red “Nike” T-shirt. Normally extras are discouraged from wearing red, but they made an exception, in this case. Extras are usually told, “No red, white, or black.” There have been exceptions to this rule, and I have experienced, all of them. I wore red, and black, for a “Coke” commercial. I was dressed in a white chef’s outfit for “3-Strikes.” Once again, it all depends on what the production company wants. Bright colors, like red, are usually reserved, for the good guys. Darker colors, like black, are for the bad guys, and white reflects to much light. This is what I was told, by my peers. There are always exceptions. James Bond does not have a red car, but it is the flashiest. Besides, the production company does not really expect you to pay attention, so they make it easy for you. Jim Rockford drove a 1974, Gold Firebird! Every time you saw it, you assumed he was driving. This is exactly what you were supposed to do.
     I worked on a shoot, at the Staples Center, in Los Angeles, when it was still pretty new. It was for the TV show “Bette,” starring Bette Midler. The episode we worked on,  was a comical attempt, by Ms Midler’s character, to get tickets to a Lakers, basketball game. Ms. Midler was very funny, and I got an autographed picture of the Laker girls, that I still have. They danced, for us, and Bette sang, and told jokes, and I got paid, to be there. I mentioned cheerleading before, during a basketball game, but this was different. No Lakers were present, and no basketball was played, while I was there. Just the Laker girls, and Bette Midler. Once again, a good time was had, by all.
     Another reason I mention cheerleading again, is because I worked on “Gotta Kick it up!” A movie filmed for the Disney channel. The film is based on the true story of a middle school, cheer/dance team, competition. The stars, of the film, are Hispanic girls, who keep saying, “Si, se puedes,” during the film, which, according to the film, means, “Yes I can.” Nit-pickers will say that this is not the literal meaning of “Si se puedes.” To them I say, “It is in the film, so bite me.” I was there, and I have seen the movie. It reminded me of a Jean Claude Van Damme movie, because in the beginning the girls get beaten, pretty badly, but in the end, they win a trip to the regional competition. A nice family film, for young girls. I got paid to sit, in the audience, and cheer, for the cheerleaders. Only in Hollywood. 
     I worked as a spectator, at a few football games, none of which, I remember very well. I have a picture of myself, sitting in the bleachers, of one such game. The only thing I remember is at the high school, where we shot, the team name, was “The Dons.” As in mafia bosses. I was surprised the school got away with it. One of my colleagues pointed out that it could just be set dressing. It did not look that way, to me.
     I worked on 2 movies with gymnastics, as the central theme. These were also films, starring, and geared toward young girls. One of them was titled, “Stick It.” A reference to a perfect landing, for a gymnast. I thought the title was pretty clever. It starred Jeff Bridges, as the gymnastics coach, but I did not get as close to him, as I did in “Sea Biscuit.” I do not remember seeing this film, so I don’t know if I am visible, or not. I was seated among a crowd of spectators, for both films. I don’t remember the name of the other film, but I think in one, the girl wins, and in the other, the whole team wins. 
     “Lords of Dogtown,” was a skateboarding movie. I spent the entire shoot, in my van. At one point, a bunch of crewmembers, opened the doors, and climbed in. Apparently they thought I was one of the set drivers. They were wrong. After they realized their mistake, they piled out, to look for a driver. That is all I remember, about “working” on this film. I have not seen it.
     I have already mentioned the Disney film “Ed.” About a chimpanzee baseball player. It is not now, nor will it ever be, my favorite Disney experience. We also had stupid baseball in “Space Jam.” Complete with a UFO. I will always choose Bugs, over Mickey. I cannot remember if it was “Malcolm in the middle,” or “The Wonder Years,” but we shot scenes at an actual professional baseball game, at Dodger stadium. It was Atlanta vs. Los Angeles, and I got paid, to sit, not to far behind third base. Outstanding! We ate Dodger dogs, and a good time was had, by all. The only other professional baseball game, I ever attended, was the St. Louis Cardinals, against the New York Mets. At that time, Tom Seaver pitched against Bob Gibson, and Willie Mays, was playing, for the Mets. My stepfather loves baseball, and if he was not a member, of my family, I doubt I would have attended that game. Thanks papa. A large crowd, of us were in Dodger stadium, for a scene in “The Core.“ We did what are called reaction shots, to an invisible space shuttle, enroute to crash in Los Angeles. We also shot some baseball scenes with Robert DeNiro, for “The Fan.” I do not remember seeing Wesley Snipes, on set, but I remember the applause when Mr. DeNiro arrived. I also remember the rain. In Hollywood, baseball is played in the rain. Who knew?
     Speaking again of “Malcolm in the middle,” or “The Wonder Years,” we shot scenes, for one of those shows, at the Irwindale speedway, about 20 miles, or so, east of Los Angeles, depending on where you are. We also shot a 7up commercial, at the same racetrack. I know there were race cars, circling the track, for the 7up commercial. I have a photo. I cannot remember any race cars, from the other shoot, but we got to see race cars, on the film, “Herbie: Fully Loaded.”
     We did a rodeo scene, for a film, I cannot remember. Someone got injured, by one of the animals, and a lot of extras were worried that the animal would be put down. A veterinarian came to set, and production later announced that the animal had been given a sedative, and would be returned, to it’s home. We were all, very happy, to hear that. 
     “Biker Boyz,” and “Torque,” were both motorcycle movies. I have photos, from both films. On “Biker Boyz,” I got placed near Laurence Fishburne, so I got to see him work. On “Torque,” I was dressed as a biker, but I had no bike, and you never would have known that, if I hadn’t told you. The magic of Hollywood strikes again. Actually a friend let me use his bike. I’m not a biker, but I play one on TV. We worked on “Torque,” in the small town of Piru, CA. A nice quiet place, I would happily visit again.
     I already devoted a chapter, to “Sea Biscuit,” but I mention horse racing again, because we shot some scenes, for “The Paul Fleiss Story.” Also called, “The Good Doctor,” also called, “The Making of a Hollywood Madam,“ at a horse racing track. You decide which title, you like best. I do not remember which track, we were at, but I will guess Santa Anita. This was a made, for TV movie, starring Michael Gross,  that supposedly told the story of Paul Fleiss, the father of the so-called Hollywood madam, Heidi Fleiss. I have not seen this film. 
     “When Billie Beat Bobby,” was a 2001 film, about the 1973 “Battle of the Sexes,” tennis match, between Billie Jean King, and Bobby Riggs. I got paid, to sit, and watch tennis. I remember when that match, actually happened. Much ado, about nothing. 
     Speaking of “much ado about nothing,” I did a bar scene, in the film, “Dodgeball.” For me, there were no sports involved. In addition, I have no memory of “Baseketball,” except to say, I was there, during filming. I have not seen these films. To stupid, for me, and from what I’ve heard, not very funny.
     I also worked on a forgettable film, titled, “Ready to Rumble,” with pro wrestling, in it’s theme. I spent multiple days, paying absolutely no attention, to anything going on, around me. I saw at least 3 pro wrestlers, but I did not speak, to any of them. I also worked a pro wrestling scene, for the film, ”Liar, Liar,” starring Jim Carrey. I saw him, on set, as well, but did not speak to him. 
     There are probably other sporting events, I worked on, that I have not mentioned. I cannot remember if they were part of a film, or if the film was about a specific sport. I met Evander Holyfield, on a music video. I shot pool in, “The Rich Man’s Wife.” Threw a Frisbee on “Visiting Day.” Bowled a strike on “Beverly Hills, 90210. I even played football, during an episode of “Jag.” I was in camouflage clothes, at the time. Sporting events happen a lot, in show business. If you are an extra, you might get booked as a participant. You will definitely get booked, as a spectator. So enjoy the show! 


© 2015 chucklez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
Added on February 2, 2015
Last Updated on February 2, 2015


Author

chucklez
chucklez

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by chucklez