Bill Dance

Bill Dance

A Chapter by chucklez

   Bill Dance


     I cannot remember everything, Bill Dance booked me on, but he deserves mention, for more than just finding work, for me. He has defended me, on more than one occasion, with production. A lot of casting directors will not. They do whatever production wants, unless it is to blatant, to ignore. Central Casting has done this for me, once that I remember.  They contacted me, while I was on set, and said the wardrobe department, of the show I was working on, had called them. Apparently they were unhappy with us, for not bringing enough clothing, to set. I said, “Counting the one I’m wearing, I brought 4 different business suits, plus 2 other changes, and I have more clothes, in my car.” The casting director replied, “ I’ve already talked to 3 other extras, and they are all saying the same thing, you are, so I am going to call this wardrobe lady back, and tell her to f**k off. Thanks a lot.” Then he hung up. 

     Most of us ended up wearing the clothes we had on. The director came out angry, and demanded to know what was taking the wardrobe department, so long. He ordered us all to set immediately. One of my friends was wearing a business suit, and tennis shoes. Nobody noticed. All of this over what pedestrians, on the sidewalk, should look like. 

     Bill Dance has stood by his extras, more than once, and done it for me personally, as well. I must assume ha does the same for others. I may have met him twice, and talked to him, on the phone twice, the entire time I was signed up, with him. I doubt he remembers me. Most of the time, I dealt with his office staff, or my calling service handled everything. Yet he never let anyone, do us wrong. Sometimes production companies do not want to pay overtime. Bill made sure, we got it, before we left the set, not after we got paid, and discovered our money was short. This happened at least twice, that I know of.

     Another time, he went to bat for me, when I got my first booking, as a stand-in. I stood in for Paul Sorvino. I do not remember seeing Mira, so stop asking. When I got to the set, the first assistant director told me I was the 5th stand-in, they had hired. “Why so many?” I asked. “Don’t make me come looking for you.” he replied. I did just that. After 3 days, I got a call, from another casting company. They wanted me to return to a set, I had worked on before, for a one day job. I told them I did not want to give up my stand-in job. They were not happy, and threatened to cause me trouble, finding work. I told this to the 1st assistant director.. 

     Next thing I know, the 1st A.D., is on the phone, with Bill Dance. When he was finished speaking, he handed me the phone. Bill Dance was on the other end. “What happened?” I told him what the other Casting Company, had said. “Don’t worry about it,” he told me, “I will take care of this. Put the A.D. back, on the phone.” I handed the phone back, to the A.D. Then I heard him say, “ We are happy with this stand-in, and we will not release him to anyone, who will not pay him, the same as us. He has 3, or 4 more days left. If they want him, they will have to pay him 4 days wages, plus overtime, or he stays here. They better not retaliate against him, in any way, or my people will cause trouble for them. Casting does not want to get into a pissing contest, with me.” He handed the phone back, to me. “Hello.” I said. “Don’t worry,” Bill said, “you  are doing good. Just go back, and keep up, the good work.” “ Sorry about all this.” “It’s ok,” he assured me, “I don’t mind this kind of phone call, because it is about something important. Not like the usual bullshit, I get.” He must have sensed that I was still worried.. “If they give you any trouble, you let me know.” “OK thanks,” I said. I handed the phone back to the A.D. “We ok?” I nodded to him. “Good,” he said. “Now we can get back to work.” I worked 3 more days on that set. On the 4th day, when I showed up, the A.D., handed me my paperwork, and said,” You ain’t working today, but you are going to have dinner, with us.” I got paid to eat dinner with the cast, and crew! I would gladly have done that, for free. Ended up being one of my most memorable jobs. All I had to do, was my job.

     I did everything they asked, without complaining, and they never had to come looking for me. I watched all the rehearsals, walked where they wanted, stood where they wanted, sat where they wanted. I sat under very hot lights, in a business suit, for hours. I ran lines. The director said I should get an Oscar, for my portrayal of someone who is angry at someone else, who owes him money. A very easy part, for me, to play.  I worked very close with Paul Sorvino. Paul even asked what we thought of a particular action, he wanted to try. We told him it was a good idea, and the scene was changed. This is how I got noticed, by Bill Dance. I remember submitting to him, for work, on “Sea Biscuit.” He told me he was not sure the wardrobe department, would have clothes, for me. I asked him not to worry, and he booked me. I worked over 2 weeks, on that film. Met Jeff Bridges. He came around to us, and asked if anyone had any questions. He also shook hands with everybody, so we all got to meet him. If the other casting company was angry at me, it did not seem like it. Thanks Bill.


© 2015 chucklez


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015


Author

chucklez
chucklez

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by chucklez