CHAPTER 16

CHAPTER 16

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

Daniel slept like a rock. When he awoke he was groggy but felt refreshed. He didn’t know what to do with himself. He went outside to get the newspaper o see if they printed his story as the editor promised.

A smile spread across his face as he opened the paper and saw the deadline. MAN VINDICATED OF ROBBERY TWO YEARS AGO.

As he read his words something began to dawn on him. ? “Where is Frank’s brother?” That was something he forgot to ask the district attorney. He chalked it up to his journalistic instincts being rusty.

He stepped into his apartment and headed to his couch as he closed the door. Once there he plopped onto the sofa and put the newspaper next to him. He sat there just staring at the paper still not knowing what to do next.

A knock on the door brought him out of the trance. He got up and walked to the door. He was in for another shock when he opened the door. He stared for a moment before speaking. “Cybil.”

Cybil stood there but didn’t reply right away. After a few seconds, she said. “Can I come in?”

“Oh, sorry.” Daniel motioned her in. Once she was inside he closed the door. “Have a seat.”

Cybil sat on the left side of the couch. Daniel sat on the left. “So what brings you here?”

Cybil looked down at the newspaper. “Oh, I just read your article and wanted to say congratulation.”

“Congratulation?” Daniel sounded confused “On the article,” Cybil replied. ”It is terrific.”

“Thanks. “ Daniel looked down so Cybil couldn’t see him blush. He clasped his hands and sighed.

“What’s the matter? “ Cybil said. There was genuine concern in her voice.

Daniel sighed again. “I just wished I could’ve made it to Shari’s funeral” He looked at Cybil, a tear rolled down his cheek. “You know, say a proper goodbye.”

Cybil stood up. ”I know what you mean.” She paused a moment. “I’ll be right back. She walked away and went through the front door before Daniel could reply.

Daniel stood up and walked towards the door. Just as he got there Cybil came through the door holding a white rectangular body with a red bow tied around it. “Here,” She handed the box to Daniel.

“What’s this?” Daniel took the box and observed it skeptically.

“It is something I found in Shari’s things” Cybil replied. “I thought you =might want it.”

Daniel opened the box. Warmth rushed through his body. There was the biggest smile on his face. In the box was a Mattel electronic football game.

“She said you guys bought it together to play. Said you guys spent hours on it.” Cybil sighed deeply. “She would always play it when you guys were fighting. It said it gave her faith in your love for her.”

Daniel took the game out of the box. He used his hand to wipe the tears on his face. “I don’t believe it.” He sounded out of breath. He looked Cybil right in the eye. “Thank you so much.”

“It's the least I could do for the love of Shari’s life.” Cybil started to cry. She wiped the tears from her eyes. “Well. I better be going.” She tapped Daniel on the shoulder and walked out.

Daniel held the game. It looked blurry through Tear filled eyes. He went to the kitchen and placed the game on the counter. He went to the paper towel holder and grabbed atowel off and dabbed his eyes.

He went to the kitchen drawer and pulled out two double A batteries from it. He grabbed the game off the counter and popped the batteries in. He turned it over and turned it on. He smiled at the familiar beeping sounds. He looked up at the ceiling and held his hand with the football game over his head. “I love you.” 



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

d****t, you made me tear up, I went through every emotion in this story not once tearing up...ya just had to go and make me cry. I loved your story Dale, thank you for sharing I hope to see more stories from you, start to finish a very good read my friend!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Corset

1 Year Ago

I enjoyed it very much so I think the thank yous go to you for my afternoons' entertainment.
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

1 Year Ago

Wow. that is really flattering.I eorked hard on it and that compliment made it worthwhile.
Corset

1 Year Ago

Glad to know it, thank Dale :D
Thank you Dale for sharing the story. You kept my attention to the last words. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

1 Year Ago

thank you so very much for reading and commenting on all the chapters. I am thrilled you liked it. I.. read more
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I did enjoy my friend and you are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..