chapter 4

chapter 4

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

Daniel slept on the couch, tossing and turning. He figured he got about two hours of sleep before he had to get up before the new mattress would arrive.

While he waited he went over his interview with Shari so he could refresh his memory of the man convicted of the bank robbery. Gerald Alvarez his notes said.

page17image15728

Next, he shuffled through clippings of other news articles to see if there was any mention of this Jeremy character so he could get the last name, No dice.

He then called the Modesto jailhouse to ask if he was allowed to visit Gerald for an interview, When asked why he told them he heard the guy was wrongfully convicted.

“Weren’t you the reporter that interviewed the witness on that case?” The officer on the phone said.

”Well yes.” Daniel said meekly. Now I want to do a follow-up story to get his side of the story.”

He was denied the interview.

He thought for a moment then decided he will have to go back to that seedy bar and talk to the bartender. The detectives and his lawyers were investigating, why shouldn’t he? The trial was scheduled to start in3 days.

Daniel looked around carefully once he stepped into the bar.
There were a group of guys toasting and chugging beer and one guy sitting alone with his head on the table.

He walked to the counter where a guy in a white apron was cleaning it off. Daniel assumed he was a bartender.

When the gentleman looked up Daniel nodded to him. “Morning, how are you doing?”

“What’s it to you?” The man grumbled.
“Sorry.” Daniel shrugged. “ I’m just being polite.”

page18image13144

The man looked down while continuing to clean the bar. “What can I get for you? We have Budweiser and Coors on tap.”

“No thanks. Daniel replied meekly. “Actually, I just want to ask a question.”

The man glared at him. “Does it say information here?” He pointed to his forehead. “Or does this say information desk? ” He spread his arms out.

Look, I...”

He cut Daniel off. “ Look pal, either buy a drink or get out.”

Daniel reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. He took two twenty’s out and placed his hand in front of the gentleman. “Just a couple of questions.”

The man snatched the money from Daniel’s hand. “Whatever, but make it quick.”

Daniel cleared his throat. “When I was in here the other day there was a man in a leather jacket, said his name was Jeremy. I was wondering if you knew his last name and where I might find him.”

The bartender just glared at him. “And what business is that to you?”

Daniel handed him his business card. “My name is Daniel ascot, I’m a reporter for the Modesto Bee.”

“So?” Was all the bartender said.

“Well, he told me that his friend was wrongly convicted. I thought I might interview him. See what he has to say. Get his side of the story. Who knows, if it pans out we might be able to get his friend a new trial.”

“Daniel Ascot. “ The bartender snapped his finger. “Wait, weren’t you the one who interview the lady that wrongly identified him?”

Yes.” Daniel paused as he figured out what to say next. “That’s why I want to do the interview. See if I can’t right a wrong.”

The bartender sneered.” Look pal, Sounds more like you have a death wish, But who am I to judge? But, I’m not giving you any information until I talk to him. So I tell you what. Next time I see him I’ll tell him your looking for him.” He walked away. He turned back and looked at Daniel grinning and shaking his head. “I hope you know what you’re doing.” He disappeared through the door.

A chill ran up Daniel's spine. He walked out of the bar and got into his car. After turning the car on he looked around with a sense of uneasiness. He took two deep breaths and then left the parking lot, He looked in his rearview mirror as he drove away.

Across the street from the bar in the shadows next to a brick building a man glares at the car driving down the road. “What the hell is he doing there?” the unknown man said to himself. The plan for revenge was working perfectly. He killed the girl and framed her boyfriend. A man he despised with all his heart. Now here is on the streets and snooping around. Looks like the plan just became more complicated. Time to execute plan B. 



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oooo the alleyway guy is very ominous, and obviously, THE TRUE KILLER! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!, now I am worried for Daniel :D nice!

Posted 1 Year Ago


A very nice chapter Dale. The story getting more interesting. I liked the use of the revenge factor in the tale. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing story. Always a pleasure to read your work.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

1 Year Ago

thank you again. so glad yo're enjoying it.
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You are welcome Dale.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee