FF Prologue

FF Prologue

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

A stranger enters the Sanda Abaven's tavern while her husband is away.

"

Prologue

      “So tell me, was it fate or coincidence that led you here?” The woman asked the cloaked figure that’d walked into her tavern. It was a simple building, old and wooden. Sanda Abaven ran it alone, while her husband Degmund, a southern warden, was out patrolling the border for dralgs.

      The old traveler in grey thought for a moment, and smiled. “Does it matter? What would you do if I said either? Would you ignore me if our meeting was simple chance, or would you follow me to the ends of the earth if I said it was fate?”

      “Fancy words, coming from a man in this town.” She leaned against the bar.

      The man ordered a drink and laughed “I enjoy this place. Everything’s simple, easy to read. You, on the other hand, are more interesting. Would you humour a tired soul and join me for a drink? I ask for nothing in return but words. What they are is your choice.”

      Sanda’s hand instinctively felt for the knife she kept hidden on her belt. She was sure she could take this old man if he tried anything. “If you enjoy this town you haven’t been here long enough. Normally I’d decline your offer, but seeing as we’re the only two here, what’s the harm in a little company.” She brought over two large mugs. The stranger put some coins on the table and grabbed one of the cups offered.

      “Thank you kindly.” He took a big gulp, and let out a satisfied sigh. “These old bones get weary, traveling alone. It seems even death ignores an old man in grey cloaks, with a bag over his shoulder and the dust of a thousand roads on his feet. That’s why it’s so nice when a young thing like you even bothers to strike up a conversation, and such an interesting one at that.” He gave her a clever smile that seemed much younger than his face would betray.

      She was a cautious type; she had to be to live out in the wilds of the south. “So then let me ask you this, what does bring you out here? I’ve seen plenty of hunters come through here hoping to kill a dralg and bring home a prize, but most are too young and foolish to realize just how dangerous those monsters are. I should know; my husband’s a warden.”

      “Really? He’s killed a few then?”

      “Yes he has. There’s been a flare-up. A small pack decimated a village just north of here, and more are pouring out from the North West, slipping past The Capital’s defences. All Wardens are doing double patrols, even some from the far south, from Brig, are coming up to deal with it. Is that why you’re here?”

      The man put his drink down, his face somber. “It is related to my mission, yes, but I won’t lie; I’m here because of you. An army is coming, but they aren’t from The Capital, and definitely not from Brig. They’re a mass of butchers and murders. They’ll pour through the area and kill any dralgs they see. If you ask it of me I’ll be gone by nightfall, and you can pretend I was never here, but I must beg you to come with me.”

      The woman was intrigued, but not concerned. She brushed it off. “I can handle some rowdy men.”

      The strangers’ face was cold. “I know you’re a fighter, and that’s the problem. I can’t risk you or your husband getting hurt. My friends are looking after Degmund, but you’re my responsibility.”

      The woman gripped her blade. The man knew her husband’s name! “And what happens if I refuse?”

      “Several things could happen. Everything could be fine, or you die.” He took a casual sip from his cup, as though he’d just discussed the weather. “I can’t risk even the chance of the latter. You have two hours to decide, after that I can’t guarantee your safety.”

      The woman glared at him, but the man didn’t flinch. She slowly responded “I’ll pack my bags.”

 

      She closed the tavern and turned to the man, a small sack over her shoulder. The married couple didn’t own much; their entire lives fit into that one bag. The stranger in grey was staring into the distance, watching for something. He had a long walking stick in his hands, and used it to climb the hill away from the city. The woman turned around, and saw the dust cloud in the distance. There were horses, hundreds of them! Then she saw him, a man on horseback, clad in dark armour. He stopped the stampede of men with a gesture, and looked around. He turned towards her, and she held her sword tight. They’d been spotted! The stranger beside her put a hand on her shoulder possessively, and glared at the distant horseman. The metal mountain of a rider turned away, and led his force towards the small town.

       “What was that?” She asked her guide.

       “That was evil.” He replied, putting distance between them and the army.

       “I mean who are they?”

       “That’s his name, ‘Evil’, and those are his men.”

      She almost laughed “Who would name their child ‘Evil’?”

       “The being called ‘Death’.”

      She stopped cold “The Entities? They’re real? So you mean that was the Evil, leader of Deaths’ Army?” She looked back over the valley she called home. “Who are you?”

      The man smiled. “My name is Future. It’s a stupid name, I know, but it’s the one Fate gave me. Now please, give me a moment, I need to change outfits. Evil and Luck already know I’m here, they don’t need to know what I look like too.” He went behind a tree, and emerged as a younger man of mid-twenties, with short brown hair and a few freckles.

       “‘L-Luck’?” She asked, deciding to ignore the shapeshifting in front of her.

       “Right-Hand to ‘Coincidence’.” He explained, shaking his limbs. Changing bodies was always jarring. “She’s a playful girl with a mean streak. If she finds us she’ll kill you.”

       “Why me?”

       “Because Fate has a role for you, and Coincidence and Luck want to keep you from whatever it is.”

      “So what is my fate?”

       “No clue.” He lied casually. “My master told me you had to live, so here I am. Your husband will return tonight. Go down that road and meet him. There’s another village two days north of here. I’m sure the two of you can make it there. I’ll cover your tracks and lead everyone else away.” He handed her a bag of money.

      She stared at the sack of coins. Everything was happening so fast! “What do we do then?”

      He smiled “You live. Don’t worry, I’ll find you.” With that, he vanished into the brush, which seemed to close in behind him.


      She found her husband, and explained all that happened. Degmund told her how he felt as though someone was watching them during the patrol, but could find no one. Then, when they found the dralg den, the beasts had already been slain. The two counted their blessings, and disappeared.

      The pair trekked through the woods for a few days, surviving off the land, until they reached the small town Future mentioned. Degmund wrote in to his commander and informed him of the move, while Sanda cared for their home. A year later, they were visited by the stranger in grey, and Future was formally introduced to Degmund.

      Later, the couple had a child, a boy, and Futures’ visits became more regular. Sanda realized this was her fate, to have this son. He was special. Future avoided any discussion on the matter, but he didn’t have to say anything, the parents knew. The look in Futures’ eyes when he saw them all playing together was one of pity, and sorrow. They all knew that one day he would come to take their child away.



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on June 1, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing