FF Chapter 4

FF Chapter 4

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Arriving at The Capital, Alex explores the fantastic library.

"

Chapter 4

      The next morning they made their way to the water’s edge, and Future summoned trees to warp themselves into a boat. Both the other Hands had land armies searching, so the safest option was a water escape.

      The great wooden boat was powered by thin vine sails and oars that Future commanded to row. He leaned on the back, watching the shoreline. If they were spotted now it could mean trouble. Everyone held their breath until the coast was out of sight, and they were well on their way to The Capital. It would take a few nights, but unfortunately Alex’s young stomach couldn’t wait that long.

      “I’m hungry.” He quietly whined. Without a word, a tree sprouted in the middle of the deck, fully bloomed and covered in apples. Alex looked towards where Uncle Bor stood with his back to the boy. “Th-Thank you.” He called out.

      Future waved silently, not turning around.

      Alex chewed on an apple and looked over the side. This was his first time on a boat. He’d been on rafts and canoes camping, but this was a real boat, with sails, oars, and a small cabin. Erald had gone below deck; apparently the large man didn’t do so well on water. Alex scanned the waters, watching the small waves left behind from where the surface was cut.

      Lo was watching too, but she was looking for something in particular. “SAWJAW!” She cried out, pointing towards the water.

      Alex rushed over and noticed a shark-like creature lazily drifting along the boat. It had four sets of fins, a large mouth filled with sharp teeth, and eight red eyes that pierced the surface. There were a few of them, about six in total, drifting around the boat. Some near, some far, but they were there.

      “What are they?” Alex wondered aloud.

      “SawJaw’s; they usually stick around the eastern sea and guard Coincidence’s base, but it seems her Hand brought a school of them with her.”

      “I don’t think so.” Future called out from farther back “I think these are just natural ones, not under Luck's control; look.” He poked one with his walking stick. It bit the wooden pole, snapping it off, but didn’t go any further. “They aren't attacking, or swimming off to report. They're just lazily drifting along. They’re still vicious things, but not a danger to us as long as no one tries to go for a swim.” Future channeled energy through the walking stick, and it repaired itself.

      “That’s good to hear...so, can I use them for target practice?” Lo smirked.

      “Sure, though I doubt you need practice.” Future shrugged it off. They were far enough away that if they were spotted, no one would be able to catch them before they reach The Capital.

      Lo elbowed Alex. “Hey, wanna start your lessons now?” She held up her beast marked arm, and her hand glowed red. “This is extreme fishing.” She snapped her finger, and a bolt of red energy shot from her hand, impaling one of the aquatic Dan’darun.

      Alex watched the other SawJaws scatter, before staring at his own beast mark. He held out his hand. Nothing. Again? Nothing. He shook his fist. Nothing.

      Angry and frustrated, he yelled and waved his hand around. A red blast shot out…directly towards Future!

      “Uncle Bor!” Alex yelled.

      The Hand turned around, tilted his head slightly, and let the bolt sail past him. Future watched it fly off into the distance, before turning around to see Alex, on his knees, collapsed on the deck.

      “I’m sorry!” He wailed. Lo tried to comfort him while secretly giving Future a pleading look.

      Future sighed. He hated his job sometimes. He knew just how much pain Alex was going through, losing his entire family and everything he knew in one day. He didn’t want to share that pain… but he couldn’t allow himself to become detached. He was the only family Alex had left now; he was ‘Uncle Bor’, and right now his nephew needed him more than ever.

      He walked over, put his hand on Alex’s shoulder, and gave a comforting smile. “It’s fine, don’t worry. You’ve had this beast mark for what, a week? I wasn’t able to use my powers when I first got them, now look at me.” He gestured to the boat he’d made.

      Alex looked up at him with watery eyes. “R-Really?”

      Future put an arm around his shoulder and held him close. “When I first tried my powers, I grew a tree under my feet that launched me into the air. I landed a few minutes later and swore I’d never use them again. Obviously I went back on that particular promise, but it was just another lesson.” He leaned back against the side of the boat “Alex, I’ve lived for over ten thousand years, and I’ve learned many lessons, one of which is ‘you can’t control everything’. You might have your whole life figured out then WHAM! Someone else does something that messes up your plans. Just shrug it off; because the one thing you CAN control… is you. If you lose yourself you risk losing everything.”

      “You’re the Hand of Fate, what do you have to lose?”

      Future shrugged and smiled. “Only my friends now, since my family is all gone.”

      Alex stared at him. “EK?...it wasn’t just a story.”

      Future shook his head. “I wish it was. In one day I lost almost all my brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles. All that’s left is family who hate me.”

      “I-I’m sorry.” Alex hugged his uncle.

      Future just smiled though the pain. “So am I kid, so am I.”

 

      They docked in The Capital under the cover of darkness. Future took an apple for the road, before commanding the ship to sink itself. Though the docks weren’t the nicest place to be, no one was eager to approach Erald, the mountainous armored man that he was, or his massive sword. They left the southern docks and made for the center of the city.

      Future mumbled to himself about how the city looked dreary since the old king died, but Erald shrugged that everything looked dreary at night.

      Alex marveled at the large city, it wasn’t dreary to him. Even though it was night, and no one was out walking, the amount and size of homes stunned the country raised boy. To the far north Alex caught glimpses of a large castle. As they walked down the paved roads, questions flooded Alex’s mind, but one dominated them all. “What is my fate?”

      Future turned around. “What?”

      “I heard you say Lord Fate has some plan for me. What is it? How will I know what it is?”

      Future sighed. “Not even I know what my master wants you to do, all I know is that I must keep you safe and train you.”

      “What do you mean you don’t know? Can’t you see the future? Don’t you know what will happen?”

      “No; ‘fate’, as you call it, isn’t predestined. It’s simply the best path to take. Someone might give you a map, but you still have to make the journey; I’m here to try and guide you, when I can. You can give up at any time, but if you want your happy ending, you have to work for it.”

      Alex thought about this, as they walked towards a large building with a fancy roof, covered in spires. It was overgrown, with weeds and vines coating the outer wall and pathway.

      “Gonna have to take care of those later.” Future mumbled to himself, as he commanded a few vines to move aside.

      “What is this place?” Alex asked, as they made their way to the massive door.

      “Our home.” Future smiled. “It’s been closed off to the public for years, but we’re not ‘the public’, are we?” He winked, and snapped his fingers. The main doors swung opened, and the group walked in.

      “Welcome to The Library.” Future introduced, “Fiction on the first floor, non-fiction on the main, complete records of human history in the secret basement.”

      Alex marveled at the massive building. The first thing he noticed was a large tree growing in the center, next he noticed that the entire floor, walls, and every massive bookshelf were all made of wood. They were completely filled with books of all shapes and sizes. His mother had taught him to read and write, but he’d never imagined this many books existed, let alone in one place.

      Future gestured towards an antique chair and table. “Have a seat.”

      Alex sat down, but before he could say anything, an old man approached. He had grey hair, a wooden cane in his hand, and a limp on his right side. “I was wondering what all the racket was, but only one man could open that big door; the one that closed it in the first place.”

      “Winchester!” Future greeted his old friend “Alex, this is Winchester, caretaker of The Library.” He turned back to the old man. “I did remember to leave the side door unlocked for you this time, right?”

      “Yes, you did.” The old man nodded. “I take it this is the boy?”

      “He is.”

      “So you’re going to show him downstairs?”

      “I am.”

      “Close the door behind you, I don’t want to hear him scream.” Winchester walked away.

      “What!” Alex yelled, slamming a hand on the table. The wooden desk shattered in half under the attack, and Alex jumped back. “S-Sorry.” He whimpered.

      “No worries.” Future walked over and, just by placing his hand on the wood, repaired the table instantly. “I made it in the first place; I could just make another if I wanted to. Don’t worry about it, you’re here to learn how to control your strength, and you’re not leaving until you do. None of us are.” Erald and Lo smiled at him, and nodded in agreement.

      Alex smiled faintly. He would be safe here. He followed Future into a back room, and then to another door labeled ‘trash room’.

      “This is the first door.” Future gestured to the wooden sign.

      “But why is it called ‘trash room’?” Alex asked.

      “Because no one, not even intruders, wants to go into the trash room. Now come on.” He led Alex through the door, then into a small room. Future placed his hand on the wall, and the wood unraveled into a passage downward. Inside was anything but trash, it was a massive spiral staircase, with the entire wall lined with unlabelled books.

      Future explained that Fates’ headquarters held a record of every person to ever live, as well as recording their lasting impacts on the world. No one but Future could open the tomes, but they were there, with new books added all the time.

      “And this” He gestured to the stairwell “is the infinite staircase. If you run far enough that way” Future pointed down “you’ll end up that way.” He pointed up “unless you have a destination in mind.”

      “What happens if I jump down the center?” Alex asked, leaning over the ledge. He felt a hand on his back.

      “Why don’t you find out?” Future pushed him over the ledge. Alex screamed on the way down. Oops, I forgot to close the door! Future realized, before quickly slamming the soundproof door shut.

      Future turned around and took a few steps down the stairs. Alex fell past him, screaming. He took a few more steps. Alex had stopped screaming. The third time Alex passed he was laughing his head off. Future turned around. He snapped his fingers, and Alex stopped right in front of him. “Fun?” He giggled.

      Alex was too busy laughing to reply.

      “Good. Now I’ll show you your bedroom.” He put his hand on the doorknob.

      “But that’s the door we came in.” Alex protested, still dizzy from his trip.

      “Is it?” Future swung the door open, and revealed a large hallway lined with doors.  As Alex stood stunned, Future whispered to him “If you can’t see it, how can you be sure it’s still the same? Each of these rooms, each of these doors, can turn into whatever I want. There’s a small orchard for food, a training area, and a bedroom for everyone. This is yours.” He pressed his hand to a door, and the word ‘Alex’ appeared on it. “Ours are right beside it. I suggest you get some rest, you’ve had a tough few days.”

 

      Lo and Erald sat around the training area, making sure everything was ready for tomorrow, when Alex approached them.

      “What is it?” Erald asked, straightening a weapon rack.

      “Can I borrow one of those?” He pointed to a sword.

      Erald picked up the weapon. “It’s dull and rather heavy. I don’t know how useful it will be. Here, try this.” Erald picked up a knife and went to give it to Alex.

      Lo stopped him there and asked the important question. “Alex, why do you want it?”

      “I think there’s something under my bed.” He replied.

      “Nothing should be able to enter the barrier.” Lo reassured him.

      “But Uncle Bor said that if I can’t see it, it might still be there…or something.”

      Lo rolled her eyes. “He says the stupidest things when he tries to sound smart. Erald, come with me.”

      The three entered his humble bedroom. It had a dresser with clothes his size, a bowl full of fresh fruit, a full-length mirror, and a comfy bed which was now surrounded by three armed warriors. Erald lifted up the bed, the whole bed, frame and all.

      Alex barely had time to marvel at the strength, when Lo pointed under it. “See, nothing there. Not even dust bunnies.”

      Erald put the furniture down. “Don’t worry Alexander. Tomorrow we shall start training you, so that if anything should happen to come in, you will be able to defeat it without even waking the rest of us.”

      Lo glared at her partner. “I don’t think that helped much.”

      Alex smiled at them both. “A-Aunt Lo?”

      The huntress was startled, but then smiled warmly. “Yes?”

      “Can I keep the knife, just in case?”

      Lo thought it over, but couldn’t deny those pleading eyes. “Oh, all right.” She relented. “Now go to sleep, you have a big day tomorrow.”

 

      Upstairs, Future spoke to Winchester. “I want you to get the library ready to open.”

      “Why? It is something to do with that boy?” The old man questioned.

      “Yes. Lo gave me an idea. I don’t want Alex completely isolated, but we can’t risk him leaving.”

      “So if we can’t bring Alex to the people, bring people to Alex.”

      “Exactly. None of us are leaving until Alex is ready.” Future rubbed the desk Alex had broken. He could still tell the seams where he’d hastily repaired it. “And I think we’re going to be here a while.”



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on June 2, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing