FF Epilogue

FF Epilogue

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

The war ended, the victors begin cleaning up the city.

"

Epilogue

      Alex woke up two days later with a headache that made him wish he was still asleep. Closing his eyes against the stinging light, he rolled over in his bed and pulled the covers over his head. He felt fingers comb through his hair.

      A woman’s voice sang to him. “Come on now sleepyhead. I think you’ve slept long enough.”

      His heart skipped a beat. Anxious, he slowly peeled back the covers and turned to the voice. The teary eyes of his mother smiled at him. “Good morning little wolf.”

      Wide awake, his headache forgotten, he looked around his hospital room. His mother and father were watching over him. Uncle Bor stood behind them in the doorway, a wide smile on his face, as if to say ‘I kept my promise’.

      “MOM! DAD!” He cried, and the family embraced.

      Future watched the touching reunion, and smiled.

      “Well ain’t that sweet.” Evil slid up to him and smirked.

      “A reward for a job well done.” Future said, his glare warning Evil not to ruin the moment.

      “So were they the ones you were hiding in Sanel, the VIP’s?”

      Future didn’t have time to question just how Evil had learned of them, but answered. “Yes, they were. I wanted to make sure they’d be safe, while also preventing them from distracting Alex. While unlikely, there could have been countless tragic scenarios I refused to risk.”

      “Smart.” Evil nodded.

      “Thank you.” Future wistfully smiled, and watched Alex bounce excitedly on the bed, all fatigue vanished behind his happiness as he told his parents everything that had happened since they were separated. He turned away, his eyes tearing up. “Ahem…” He cleared his throat and changed subjects “Anyway, I noticed there is now a distinct lack of trees to the west.”

      Evil chuckled. “I may have done some landscaping during the hunt. It’s harder for dralgs to hide without any trees or shrubs, but I’m sure you can take care of that easily enough.”

      Future shook his head. “Always giving me more work.”

      “I’d hate for you to grow bored in your old age.”

      “Speaking of work, what are you planning to do now?” Future asked cautiously.

      “Oh, I’ll keep myself busy. There’s a whole class full of newly marked students from Yanus to comb through. I’ll see if any are worth my time.”

      “And as far as we go?”

      Evil looked at his brother and smiled. “I’ll admit we may have been distracting each other more than necessary. We do still have a common enemy after all. So as far as we go, I’m willing to see how long this ceasefire can last, you?”

      Future smiled. It was the closest he’d get to a peace agreement. “Then it’s a challenge, who can keep the peace longer?”

      Evil started to walk away. “Challenge accepted.”

      Future watched his brother leave before turning towards the happy family. He closed the door; they deserved some time alone, and he had some chores to take care of.

 

      The cleanup of the city was an ongoing process, but with the help of the men from Brig it went much faster. Both Future’s wardens and Evil’s soldiers began to mingle, and a few unlikely friendships began to blossom.

      As Whar and Winchester oversaw some rebuilding, Whar quietly asked “Do you know what happened to Deese. We’ve investigated Luck’s base, and the barrier was down.”

      Winchester smiled. “There was a box of tea leaves on the library doorstep. I think he managed to escape safely, and is most likely tending to his enraged mistress by now; probably trying to talk her out of some hasty revenge plot.”

      Whar chuckled. “I don’t know how he puts up with her.”

      Winchester nodded wisely. “Love and patience my friend, love and patience.”

 

      Near the outskirts of Sanel, two hunched figures made their way towards the small harbor with sacks over their shoulders. They’d managed to slip away during the confusion unnoticed, and a good thing too. They were considered enemies by at least two of the most powerful people on the planet.

      “Well, we recovered the bags of treasure, now what?” Malent asked her new partner.

      Jack looked towards the many ships docked at the port. “I was thinking we pay one of the merchants to drop us off somewhere, preferably far from here.”

      “And then?”

      Jack shrugged. “This gold should last us for a while, but after that…I can make illusions, you can move mountains. We’ll think of something.” He shrugged.

      “…you ever thought of bounty hunting?” Malent asked randomly.

      “Not really, does it pay well?”

      “Depends who you go after.”

      “Hm…” Jack mulled it over. “I’ll keep that in mind. For now, let’s just get out of here. The adventures can come later.”

      “Who knows, maybe we’ll get to climb a beanstalk.” Malent smirked

      “That did look fun.” Jack agreed, and they ran towards the docks and their future.

 

      As Malent and Jack ran, Future himself watched from the shadows, and smiled. The two seemed happy, but he’d keep an eye on them. It was the least he could do for the part they played, the part they were forced to play.

      Summoning his wooden carriage, he rode to an appointment with Gaius. They had one last thing to discuss.

      The King had been busy approving all the plans for the city when Future entered. He took a seat, and after basic greetings, got right to business; they were both busy men.

      “I want you to name Alex your successor.” Future stated bluntly.

      “I had a feeling you’d ask me something like that.” Gaius lamented.

      “It’s the best middle ground you’re going to get.” Future shrugged.

      Gaius put his head in his hands and rubbed the frustration from his eyes. There was a long pause before he sighed. “Very well. I’ll make the announcement soon, once things have died down.”

      “I’ll hold you to that.” Future smiled, and they shook hands.

      On his way out, Future smiled. His master’s prophecy was being fulfilled.

 

         A few days later, Gaius made his announcement, and the city celebrated. After the proclamation was read, Future returned to the library. It seemed disturbingly empty, as even Winchester was out and about, but he knew one person was there. He climbed up high, and found Alex hidden away from all the chaos of the weeks’ events.

      “So that’s it huh, I’m going to be king.” Alex sighed, staring at the sky.

      Future sat beside him and smiled. “Maybe, it’s up to you, but it is in the cards.” He chuckled to himself.

      “But Gaius and everyone else say I am going to be king! They just gave a whole speech about it.”

      Future leaned back. “You know, ‘king’ is just a title. You don’t actually have to do anything if you don’t want to. Just hand it off to other people. Fate wants you to be called ‘The King of The Capital’, but you don’t actually have to do anything else.”

      “But, if I do that, won’t Fate be mad?”

      Future smiled slyly. “Why don’t you ask him yourself?”

      “Ask who?”

      “Fate.” He said bluntly.

      “You mean you can show him to me?” Alex got excited.

      Future smiled knowingly “Of course. In fact, he’s been in your pocket this whole time.”

      “My what?” Alex reached inside his pocket. The only thing in there was his deck of cards.

      Before his very eyes, the cards flew from his hand, and hovered in the air; dancing. When they stopped, they’d formed what could only be described as a hollow cloak.

      Future bowed to the cloak. “Master.” He said, before explaining to the bewildered Alex. “We Hands can change our forms; did you think our bosses couldn’t? Alexander Abaven, allow me to introduce Lord Fate, master of this library.”

      “L-Lord Fate.” Alex hastily bowed. “Wait, so it was you doing all those tricks with the cards; answering my math questions?”

      The hood of the cloak nodded.

      “But why did you not help when I tried to show it to Jack-” his eyes lit up with realization “To Jack…a servant of Luck.”

      “Who might have reported anything strange back to his boss.” Future spoke for the mouthless cloak.

      “I see.” Alex smiled. “So you never abandoned me; you just couldn’t help me there.”

      The cloak nodded again.

      Future turned to Alex. “I believe you had a question for him?”
      “Oh yeah.” Alex smiled. “Um, Lord Fate…do I have to become king?”

      Future interpreted for his master. “Before I answer, do you mind if I ask why you don’t want to be king. As you’ve seen, many are willing to kill for just the chance at the throne.”

      Alex shuffled his feet. “It doesn’t seem that fun, and Eira was sad when she first heard about it. Also, people didn’t seem to like Gaius for being king and…and…” Alex mumbled. “And I don’t know how.”

      The cloak seemed to laugh. Future smiled. “For the moment, it seems things are fine just the way they are. I, we, need someone we can trust ruling our city, but Gaius seems to be slowly coming around. I suppose you’ve earned the right to choose though, as thanks for your cooperation so far. So, Alexander Abaven, do you wish to become king?”

      Alex thought about it. “I don’t know for sure yet, but…but it’s nice to know I have a choice, you know?” He smiled awkwardly, and Future nodded.

      “I understand, and so does he.” He gestured to his cloaked master.

      Alex fidgeted. “But, if I do become king, you’ll be there to help me, right?”

      He placed a hand on Alex’s shoulder and held him close. “For as long as you need me.”

 

---END---

 



© 2017 André SanSouci


Author's Note

André SanSouci
I hope you all enjoyed the story. Please leave a review and let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing