FF Chapter 3

FF Chapter 3

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Running for his life, Alex meets unusual allies.

"

Chapter 3

      Alex ran, chased by the sound of battle. Lightning and fire clashed, fueled by trees and vines that sprouted instantly from one another.

      He heard hoof beats behind him, and ran as fast as his legs could carry him, but the horse was faster and rode him down. It stopped in front of him, and he got to look at the rider. It was a mountain of a man; huge, even for a grown-up, and armed with a massive sword and a shield fitting his size. “Are you Alexander Abaven?” The large man asked.

      Alex nodded, knees shaking. No good ever came when someone used his full name.

      “I am Erald of Murshur. Future sent me to patrol for you. Is that him fighting back there?”

      Once again, Alex could only nod.

      “Then we need to hurry.” Without another word, the man effortlessly picked Alex up, and hoisted him onto the saddle. “Hold on.” Erald advised, and Alex grabbed the horses’ neck before the rider made a mad gallop back home.

      As they neared the small house Erald called out. “Lo! Lo! I found him!”

      A woman emerged from the house. She was tall and thin, the complete opposite of Erald, and wore tight clothes. It also seemed that all the hair Erald lacked had made its way onto his partner, since her wild red mane flowed down her back. She was quickly followed outside by Alex’s parents. “Good job Erald. Where’s Future?”

      “Fighting with Luck and Evil from the looks of it.” He said, carrying Alex down from the horse.

      “That’s not good. We need to hurry.” Lo warned, her keen eyes searching the treeline for enemies.

      Alex ran to embrace his parents, and they held him tight.

      “I don’t wanna go!” He cried, breaking his mothers’ heart.

      “I know… I know.” She held him close to her chest, tears welling in her eyes. “But you have to. It’s safer with them. They can protect you.” She looked past him to the pair of guardians, and both Erald and Lo silently gave their word.

      “Be strong Alex.” His father hugged him.

      Future, still in his young form, came storming in. He was clutching his side, and leaning heavily on his walking stick.

      “Are you alright?” Lo asked her boss.

      “What happened?” Erald interjected, with sword and shield in hand. He scanned the area, but could see no one.

      Future grunted. “I’m fine. It’s not like they could kill me anyway. Fortunately, Evil hates Luck more than he hates me. The two are fighting. Evil brought some horsemen, but Luck was stupid enough to come alone. Pride always WAS her weakness.” He hastily walked past the grieving family.

      “Future?” Lo softly demanded, pointing to the Abavens.

      He’d been avoiding even looking at them. He hated this part of his job more than anything else in the world. “Alex, have you made your choice?” He cautiously asked.

      “You already know what I’m going to pick, don’t you, ‘Future’?”  He spat the name.

      The young man shook his head in an elderly way. “No, I do not. I know what answer is the best for the universe, and I know what could happen if you pick the other, but it’s still YOUR choice.”

      Alex blinked back tears, and hugged his parents. If it hadn’t been a choice, it might have been easier. He weakly whispered. “Fine, I’ll go.”

      Future turned to the boy’s parents. “I promise you will see him again, and we Hands are bound by our oaths. Lo?”

      The woman stepped forward, and handed the pair a deck of cards. “Now that your fate has been fulfilled, Death may come for you. Offer to play cards against him, wagering your life against eternal servitude, but use this deck and you’ll win. It’s not a gift, just a loan. I expect you both to survive and give them back. Head south, to Brig; we have many allies there who’ll send word to us once you arrive.”

      With that, the small group of Erald, Lo, Future, and Alexander, rode off before the boy could change his mind. The child wept into Future’s cloak the whole way.

 

      The group made camp the next night. Future kept watch, unable to face Alex. Lo slid beside the depressed young boy, and put a supportive arm around him. “I know it’s hard, but you’ll see them again. It might take a few years, but you WILL see them again.”

      “Where are we going?” He mumbled.

      “To The Capital, a few days journey north. We have a stronghold there, and you’ll be safe. The people you saw, Luck and Evil, they won’t be able to touch you there.”

      Erald came over and reported “Luck summoned a few dralgs to patrol, but Evils’ army is hunting them down.”

      “Good, let them fight each other, Luck’s ability to control those beasts is as annoying as ever.” Lo mumbled.

      The knight put a hand on Alex’s shoulder. “Worry not Alexander, we will stand by your side. Future will seal up the entrance, we can wait here a few days, and then be on our way.”

      “Erald.” Lo smiled. “The boy needs to eat.”

      “Oh yes, of course.” He smacked his forehead lightly as if the thought only just occurred to him. “Well I suppose Future can make some fruit appear for him.”

      Alex was puzzled “What do you mean? Don’t you eat too?”

      Both shook their heads “We can, but we don’t HAVE to. Future made us ageless.” Lo explained. “We’re both actually over a hundred years old.”

      “Wow, you look really young!” Alex marveled, making Lo smile and hug him tightly.

      “Oh, I like you already! Call me ‘Aunt Lo’.” She snuggled him, rustling his spiky hair.

      “Then I shall be your ‘Uncle Erald’. We promise to aid you in any way we can, including mastering the mark on your arms.” The pair rolled up their sleeves to reveal red lines. “We have several years of experience, and shall teach you all we know.”

      This lifted his spirits slightly, in that he stopped crying, but one night he heard ‘Aunt Lo’, and ‘Uncle Bor’, Future, argue.

      “What about Yanus Academy?” Lo pleaded “It’s neutral ground.”

      “All that means is that we can’t protect him directly. It’ll be too easy for the others to get to him! Don’t forget what happened to the last one we sent there! We take that boy somewhere secluded, the less people the better; The Library. We can keep him hidden in the endless basement, and train him until he’s old enough to handle himself.”

      “And leave him with the old coot? He’s just a boy! He needs to be with other kids! What’s gotten into you Future, you’re usually so much better with children?”

      “Right now I’m not a babysitter, I’m a bodyguard. Both my siblings know about him, and if either gets their hands on him you can kiss this world goodbye!”

      Alex huddled under a blanket. What was so special about him? He glared down at the red lines that decorated his arms, and cursed them!



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on June 1, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing