FF Chapter 17

FF Chapter 17

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Future and his allies come to pick Alex up, but Luck has other plans.

"

Chapter 17

      Inside the office, finally alone, Emilia hugged her daughter tightly.

       “Daddy didn’t want me to come.” Eira whispered in her mother’s ear.

      “He’s just worried; you’re too much like your mother.” She smiled.

       “Well he’s making me want to leave too.”

       Emelia Jensing winced. She’d distanced herself from her husband a few years ago to concentrate on her work, but it seemed Eira had misread the reason for her mother leaving. “Your father cares for you, he really does; he just has his own way of showing it. As a king he has many things to worry about, but you were always his priority…speaking of which,” she looked her daughter in the eye “what do you think about Future’s letter?”

       “Wha-whatever do you mean?” Eira batted her eyes.

       “Don’t feign ignorance with me, girl. You’re my daughter, and I know you or Malent were listening at that door; probably both. What do you think?”

       Eira shook her head. “I-I don’t know what to think…for Alex to become king he’d have to get rid of the current king or…” Marry the princess! Her mouth refused to utter the words.

      Emilia laughed at her daughter’s discomfort as only a mother could, before patting her on the head and saying “Well don’t hold it against him, he seems like a nice boy. Good thing too; you might have to spend the rest of your life with him.”

      “MOM!” Eira cried.

 

      Eira met up with Alex and Frey just outside the school. Classes had ended for the day, and everyone was making their way across the bridge, giving Alex and his companions a wide berth. They still feared Alex, maybe now more than ever, after seeing him fight the strongest in the school to a draw. On the way, Alex effortlessly pulled his boot knife out of the stone, stunning the guards who’d been trying to retrieve it all day.

      The trio eventually reached the end of the stone walkway, and found a small crowd gathered around a wooden carriage.

      The carriage was simple, completely uninteresting, except that it lacked horses. It seemed to be driving itself as it pulled up to the small town of Sanel. A young man with freckles stepped out, followed by a young-looking woman and a large man with a broadsword on his hip.

      “Uncle Bor!” Alex called out, and ran towards his family.

      The Hand of Fate embraced the boy, and smiled. “Everyone knows we’re here anyway, I figured I might as well show off.” He gestured for Eira and Frey to step forward.

      Alex introduced his family. “Frey, this is Uncle Erald, Aunt Lo, and Uncle Bor.”

      The handmaiden curtsied before inquiring “are-are you really Erald of Murshur? THE Erald of Murshur?”

      Erald scratched his neck. He wasn’t used to this kind of attention after living in the library “I-I am.”

      “I was born in Murshur. We have a statue of you in the town square! Is it true you fought off a hundred men singlehandedly?”

      Erald mused over his answer for a bit before finally saying. “Well, yes, I did.” Erald nudged the sword at his side. It was a nervous habit.

      Lo nudged her companion. “Come on, the girl deserves more of a story than that.”

      Noticing the crowd of children that had gathered, Erald cleared his throat. “This was about three hundred years ago, before I ever got a beast mark. My lord, not Lord Future, another lord I served at the time, was off fighting a small border war. I was left to look after his castle town, which was atop a hill. During the night a hundred horsemen rode towards the town, hoping to destroy it and force my lord to hurry home. I stood alone. Fortunately, it rained the night before they attacked, so the large hill became a marsh and their horses got stuck in the muck. By the time they got to me it was a series of one-on-one fights with exhausted foes; nothing extraordinary.”

      Future laughed “I’m afraid history has already decided differently.” A sly smile touched his lips. “Perhaps a demonstration is in order?” He suggested.

      Erald nervously smiled as the kids around him began pleading with their eyes. “Very well; I suggest all of you hold on to your hats and skirts.” He unsheathed his sword and held it with two hands. Activating his beast mark he swung wildly with all his considerable might. The blade passed through the air, cutting it, and making a powerful shockwave. The breeze pushed through the crowd, impressing all. As the students cheered at the display, Erald basked in the acclaim, but Lo was not going to be outdone, not without a fight.

      Rolling up her sleeves, she turned to her commander and ordered “Future, give me some targets!”

      The Hand obliged, summoning a large tree. Before anyone could speak, he kicked the wooden pillar he’d created, shattering it and sending the pieces flying towards Lo. With a hundred shots, each as quick as it was precise, she shot down every splinter before they could touch her. The crowd went wild.

 

      As applause rang out, a clap of thunder was heard, then another. A young woman emerged from the crowd, with a thin man beside her. She was in a bright red dress that impressed, her blond hair flowing down her back like a golden river as she smiled sweetly.

      “A wonderful performance.” Luck called out.

      Future wasn’t surprised. He’d sensed his sibling and brought Erald and Lo as backup. He’d hoped a display of power might scare her off; she obviously had other plans. “I thought you weren’t going to show up, Luck. At least you were smart enough not to come alone this time. Hello Deese.”

      “Lord Future.” The butler beside Luck bowed. He hadn’t changed a bit since Future last saw him, with his short black hair, and an immaculate suit that seemed to defy the dusty road he stood on. His thin glasses hid soft blue eyes, which roamed across the crowd before settling on Future and the children. He whispered something to Luck, and she smiled.

      Future glared at her. “What do you want?”

      “To be honest, I’m here for Eira. I’ve waited so long to meet her.” She turned to the princess. “Hello dear.”

      Eira curtsied, while Frey took up a position at her side. “Good day.” The princess replied politely.

      “Attending Yanus? A princess such as yourself shouldn’t have to sink to such levels.”

      “I find it a good way to mingle with common folk, and meet nobles from other nations.” Eira spoke carefully.

      “But it’s also a great way to get a beast mark. For you it might be the only way…but it doesn’t have to be.” Luck tried to sound casual; she failed.

      “What do you mean?” Eira asked, curious.

      “I mean that I can offer you some beast marks. I can command the Dan’darun, and would be willing to give some over as a gift. A princess, a future queen, should be strong enough to defend her people. I can give you that strength.”

      Eira glanced over at Future, who didn’t meet her eye. His gaze was locked onto his sister. She shook her head. “I’m grateful for the offer, but I have to refuse.”

      “Really?” Luck feigned surprise “Your grandfather took me up on it, and he wasn’t disappointed.”

      “What are you talking about?” Eira demanded.

      “Oh! Did daddy never tell you about it? Maybe he doesn’t know, and of course Future wouldn’t say anything. He hates talking about his failures.” She smiled fiendishly. “Your grandfather, Galdus, allied with me, and I gave him the power to overthrow the old king, Atoran Damces. Atoran was given his position by Future and Fate, so you can imagine how they felt about that.” She stepped forward, but Future placed his staff between her and Eira.

      Future stood in front of the kids and warned them. “If anything happens, run back into the barrier.”

      Alex spoke up. “But I-”

      Future cut him off “No buts Alex, just listen to me!”

      Luck placed her hands on her hips and shook her head. “You know for someone who goes on and on about choices, you don’t seem to be giving him many. Look at him; even now he’s wearing a uniform YOU picked out for him.”

      “Switching targets so quickly Luck?” Future mocked. “Don’t forget ‘he who chases two rabbits will catch neither’.”

      Luck ignored him and spoke directly to Alex. “Of course what do you expect? Future can lie, just like everyone else. There’s no rule that says he must tell you everything, or even that what he does tell you is true. For example; did you know Evil once tried to recruit Erald? Or that Lorane once worked for me, before turning traitor?”

      Erald spoke in his own defence “I refused Evil’s offer immediately. His methods are the same as his horde; barbaric.”

      Lo was also quick to speak up, and pointed accusingly at Luck “Yeah I worked for you, worst mistake of my life. You sent me to my death! Future saved me; he showed me mercy!”

      Luck took the accusation in stride, and smirked. “He showed you ‘mercy’? A rare thing, count yourself among the fortunate few. In my experience Fate is crueler than Death, for Death only ends your life; Fate can utterly destroy it, should it suit his purpose.”

      Future had heard enough. She could insult him all she wanted, but she was dragging his friends and even his master into it!

      He looked around. There was still a crowd outside the school. The curious were sticking around to watch the show; the smart ones had left quickly before the fireworks started.

      He readied his staff, and vines dug their way into the ground, forming a small ring around the two Hands, an arena. Even the slowest students got the hint, and backed up behind the lines.

      Luck watched the vines snake their way around with disinterest. “I don’t want a fight” she smirked, “I just want an answer. Come on brother, tell them, am I wrong?”

      He felt someone tug on his coat, and found Alex looking up at him. “Uncle Bor?” The boy asked, concerned.

      Luck laughed “Uncle Bor? That’s the name you took? That old chestnut? Did you ever tell him about your other ‘nieces’ and ‘nephews’; what happened to them? You never gave them much of a choice either, did you?” Luck chided

      Future’s voice was cold, but sad. He closed his eyes and bowed his head in remembrance. “They always had a choice.”

      “So give Alex one.” She smiled, before turning to the boy. She smiled warmly “What do you say Alex? Would you like to spend some time with your Auntie?” Alex looked at her, and she knew she had his attention. “How about you spend some time at my place? You can live there if you like. I can offer you a lifetime of happiness and splendor, even an immortal life. Think of that. You could eat cake for all…eternity.” She cast a glance towards Future, who glared daggers at her, but remained silent.

      Alex thought for a moment. “I’ve never had cake before. What’s it like?”

       Luck looked at Future and pouted in mock sympathy. “He doesn’t even know what cake is. What have you done to this poor boy?” she held out her arms towards him. “Come here, your Auntie Luck will take care of you.”

      Alex shook his head. “No thanks.”

      Luck recoiled in surprise. “Wh-what?”

      “Thanks for the offer, it sounds nice, but I like my home.” Alex smiled, and stood beside his family.

      “Do you have any idea what you’re doing? Do you know who I am?” She growled.

      “I’m not scared of you.” Alex smiled.

      Luck glared “The stupid are often too dumb to realize just how little they know.”

      She was almost openly hostile now, after being rebuffed twice. Future knew she was nearing the limit of her patience, and stepped directly between her and the children.

      “You’ve made your case and got your answers. It’s time for you to go.” He planted his staff again, and the vines surrounding them sprang to life.

      Luck and Deese readied themselves, with the butler whispering something to his mistress. “Do you really want to make this a war?” Luck asked. “You know that will give Evil free reign while we recover.”

      Future smiled. It wasn’t a happy smile, but a threatening one. “I’d rather have a coward run free than a traitor. Go ahead Deese, read my heart. Tell her my desire and how far I will go to accomplish my mission.”

      Luck turned to her attendant, who nodded solemnly.

      Future’s allies weren’t idle either. Erald immediately readied himself, and announced “I’ll take Deese.”

      Lo rolled her eyes. “You and your chivalry.”

      Deese just smiled, took off his glasses, and responded “It won’t exactly be a fair fight, but from one servant to another I would be happy to oblige; should my mistress wish it.”

      The question hung in the air. Luck and Future locked eyes, before Luck shook her head.

      “No…no I do not wish it; now is not the time. I suppose I will take my leave, although my offers are always open, children.” She smiled, and the pair walked off silently. Future waited until they were completely out of sight before motioning for everyone to pile into the carriage. They were going home.

 

      On the outskirts of Sanel, Luck switched forms. She added about five years to her age, although she was still a stunning beauty, but now had a white dress and brown hair. Deese waited on her, preparing some tea.

      “Tell me Deese, what was Future’s desire?” She purred, sipping on her drink.

      Deese paused until she was finished her sip and had lowered her cup. “He wishes for his family to be reunited.”

      Silence hung in the air as Luck stared at her tea. It was smooth, and slightly minty. The liquid was a dull brown.

      “Really.” Was all she said before taking another drink.

      “Yes. His desire is as strong as he is old.”

      Luck smirked “So it’s very strong then, but how can we use it?”

      “Well, Future seems to consider Alex his family too, so any action taken against him would surely rile up Future. His anger would make him sloppy…and dangerous.”

      “And what are the boy’s desires? What can we use to lure him away?”

      “I’m afraid we won’t be able to tempt him easily; friends are hard to make.” Deese recalled the strong desire Alex had to belong, to find friends and family outside the library.

      “Friends may be hard to make, but they are easy to destroy.” Luck mused.

      She went silent, and Deese respected his mistresses’ wishes, all the while praying he wouldn’t be selected to incur Future’s wrath.



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing