FF Chapter 21

FF Chapter 21

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

A trip off campus marks the beginning of the end.

"

Chapter 21

      Winter was approaching, and had sent a cold wind into the kingdom as a herald. Alex kept warm though, as he spent his days working or sparring. His current partner was Eira, with Frey watching closely on the sidelines. Jack had let them use the arena to train, despite not being able earn any money from their match; everyone knew Alex was better.

      Eira spun and kicked, but Alex jumped back. The girl lost her balance and fell. He helped her up before giving her some advice. “Your kick was good, but you should’ve aimed lower; for the gut, not the chest.”

      Eira dusted herself off and smirked “I like to aim high.”

      They got cleaned up and were near the exit when Jack approached them with a bag in his hand. “Hey Alex, this is your pay for the last few months…plus a little bonus from all the winnings I got betting on you.” He smirked fiendishly.

      Alex looked into the bag. He’d never had money before…he’d never had to buy anything before. “What should I do with it?” He asked.

      Jack shrugged. “There are shops in Sanel.”

      “But Uncle Bor said I shouldn’t go there; that it was dangerous.”

      Jack almost laughed “No offence to your uncle, but have you ever been there?”

      Alex shook his head; Eira and Frey joined him. “After school we always go straight home.”

      “It’s a small village, very peaceful. Lots of the students live there.”

      A new voice rang out behind them. “Live where?” It was Malent. She entered the arena; not unusual. She probably heard Alex was fighting someone.

      Jack turned to her “Alex is debating whether to go to Sanel or not.”

      “Really?” She suddenly seemed very interested. “What’s there to debate?”

      “Future told him that it was dangerous.” Jack explained.

      She laughed. “Really? It’s a small town with a bunch of shops, hotels, and restaurants. Besides, even if one of the scary nobles tried to pick a fight, surely you would be able to handle it, or are you scared of a little town?” She chuckled.

      Alex turned to Eira and Frey. “What do you guys think?”

      Eira spoke first. “I’d like to go, I’ve never been there either, but I’m not going without you.”

      Frey nodded. “If you go, I’ll go.”

      Alex decided. “Sure, I’d like to check out Sanel, and if anything happens I should be able to handle it.” And with that, they waited for lunch break, and departed for Sanel. He somehow managed to talk Indol into joining him, and recruited Anastazia as a guide since she lived there. Jack wouldn’t be convinced though, and stayed behind on the island.

 

      Sanel was a quaint town; as old as the capital, but not as grand. Where The Capital would have stone building, Sanel had wood. That wasn’t to say it was a dump, far from it. The town was right by the most prestigious academy in the world, and had become very wealthy for it. Shops of all kinds lined the street, manned by just as many species, many of whom catered almost exclusively to their kin.

      The odd group of Alex, Indol, Eira, Frey, and Anastazia, walked down the main streets, attracting many eyes. For better or for worse, everyone knew who they were. They also spotted several of their schoolmates; Gordian was talking to a few rugged men, while many of the noble students greeted them hospitably. It also seemed word of Alex’s destiny had reached Sanel, as he was showered with kind words as “Future’s King”.

      “This place is awesome!” Alex cried out happily, as strangers bowed their heads and smiled warmly at him. “I don’t know what Future was so scared about.”

      Hungry for lunch, Ana led them to her favourite bakery, ‘The Bakers Dozen’.

      While Ana ordered a fish sandwich, Alex marvelled at the many colourful pastries that lined the display. “What are they?” He asked.

      “They’re cakes.” The baker replied, happy to help the prophesied boy.

      “Really?” Alex stared at them, and remembered Luck’s taunt. He’d never had cake. “I’ll have that.” He told the baker, pointing to one slice that had a dollop of icing on it.

      “For lunch?” Eira exclaimed, picking out a toasted cheese sandwich.

      “Why not?” Alex shrugged. “I’ve never had it before.”

      The baker exclaimed “Young lord, you’ve never had cake?” He took the piece out. “Then please, consider this one a gift.”

      “Really?” Alex smiled enthusiastically

      “Of course!” The man smiled. “All I ask in return is that you remember my humble bakery when you take the throne.” He handed Alex the cake, and it was love at first bite.

 

      Gorging himself on hospitality, Alex experienced his first sugar rush, then his first sugar crash. Clutching his stomach in an alleyway behind the bakery, he groaned “oh cake, you tasted so good! Why have you betrayed me?”

      Indol and Eira shook their heads. “Well that’s what happens when you eat four slices of cake for lunch.”

      “Six slices.” Frey corrected disappointedly.

      “And a piece of pie.” Alex wheezed.

      “YOU PIG!” Indol cried.

      “Here.” Ana handed him a small cup. “It’s an herbal remedy. I got it from my room. It should help your stomach.”

      Alex downed the bitter mix, and shakily rose to his feet.

      “Thanks.” He moaned.

      Frey looped her arm around his and steadied him. “Perhaps we should walk around a bit, check out the shops. It should give your stomach some time to settle.”

      Eira nodded. “Sure, we have some time before classes resume.”

      Indol and Ana agreed, while Alex just moaned his support for the idea.

      The girls rushed excitedly from one outlet to the next. Eira took time to try on dresses, Frey listen to a demonstration in a music store, Indol watched a blacksmith work, Anastazia visited an herbalist, all the while Alex followed behind them; he wasn’t really interested in any of those things. Then he spotted a fur shop.

      His face was pressed to the glass before the girls even knew what happened.  In the display was a wonderful wolf-pelt coat. It was too big for him, unfortunately, but Alex could appreciate the fine quality nonetheless.

      “I thought you didn’t like wolves. You said they attacked you when you were little.” Ana asked him.

      “They did, but I don’t hold it against them. I like wolves; in fact my favourite story is ‘The Wolf and the Salamander’. I even used to howl at the moon when I was little, the villagers nicknamed me ‘little wolf’ because of it.” He chuckled nervously. “My mother always blamed my howling for drawing the wolf pack to me in the first place, but it was fun to hear things howl back; it’s like they were always there for me…even if they tried to eat me once.”

      While Alex stared at the magnificent coat, Frey noticed someone staring at them. A small group of men, leaning against the wall of an alley, were looking directly at them. Of course, the small group of students were a strange sight; a princess, a destined king, an Octasect, and a Caniko, but Frey didn’t get her position by ignoring her instincts.

      She feigned wanting to check out a restaurant to get them off the street. The building was made of stone with a chimney leaking smoke. The smell of food and the sound of voices poured out the windows and doors. A wooden sign out front told them the restaurant’s name was ‘The Rusty Rein’ and many strong horses were tied out front.

 

      They went inside and found that The Rusty Rein was a restaurant of sorts, but not the type children usually visited; it was a bar. The large room was cozy with many tables, almost all of which were filled with older men. A small fire roared in the corner, and a pot of stew boiled above it.

      Almost no one noticed or cared that they entered, but Alex spotted Malent through the crowd. She noticed him too, but didn’t seem to react.

      Frey started to say “I don’t know if we should stay-” but before she could finish Alex, ever curious, had already wandered off into the crowd of new people. Everyone else cautiously followed him.

      The patrons were varied; many had wild features like tusks, while others seemed to defy their intimidating friends by maintaining stunning manes of hair or handsome features. No matter how they appeared though, all of them were strong. Alex even noticed two men with beast marks arm-wrestling in a corner while others placed bets; he almost expected to see Jack among them, but he wasn’t.

      While distracted by all the new faces, Alex bumped into one of the men sitting at the bar. The large man had a ripped shirt, a face covered in scars, and his mouth was a mess, as though he only had one row of teeth shared by both jaws. He growled intimidatingly as Alex apologized.

      Before things could escalate further, a tall muscular man stepped between them and turned to the thug. “Stand down Wenu.” When his friend returned to his seat, he then turned to Alex “Sorry about that, he hates people disturbing his meal.”

      “Sorry.” Alex apologized, but was ignored as Wenu went back to his meal.

      “Don’t mind him. He’s just hungry after our ride.” The man was explaining when Malent approached them.

      “Hey Whar, how was your hunt?”

      “Not bad Malent. Do you know this boy?”

      “Yeah.” Malent mumbled, looking him up and down. “He’s Alex.”

      “Oh, I see.” Whar held out his hand. “Nice to meet you Alex.” Alex took a good look at him. He was a well-built man with a massive scar on his neck that disappeared down his thick, long-sleeved shirt. His voice was deep and commanding; not something easily ignored.

      Alex shook Whar’s hand while Eira, Frey and the rest finally found him and caught up.

      Malent locked eyes with them. “What are you-” as Malent was speaking one of the logs in the fireplace crackled and popped. A small burst of heat flashed by them, and Malent seemed to jump. She eyed the fire nervously before continuing, although obviously still disturbed. “Wh-What are you guys doing here?”

      Alex spoke up “There was a group outside who were giving us weird looks.” This startled Frey, who’d thought only she’d noticed the crowd of men watching them.

      Whar smiled confidently. “Really? Well you can stay here as long as you like.”

      Frey bowed “Thank you for the offer, but we really should be on our way.”

      “I understand.” Whar said, disappointed. After Alex and his friends left, Whar turned to Malent. “You know I didn’t believe you at first, but it really is him.” He turned to one of his men lounging around the bar. “Inform Lord Evil that Alexander Abaven is in Sanel, alone, but so are some of Luck’s men.” As the messenger rode off Whar smiled and rubbed the beast mark hidden under his long sleeves; as Evil’s general, when his master was happy, he was happy.



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing