FF Chapter 31

FF Chapter 31

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Kidnapping and treachery leads Future straight to Evil's doorstep.

"

Chapter 31

      “What!” Luck cried. “Does he mean to betray me so brutally? Aiding Alex and giving out beast marks…is he allying with Future behind my back, or is he playing another game? Either way it is unacceptable!” She paced.

      Malent watched her, having just delivered Evil’s message. She nervously glanced at Deese, who was standing off to the side, but the butler didn’t seem alarmed by this outburst.

      The Hand quickly settled down, and slumped into a chair. “Although I don’t know what I expected. My brother has done nothing but abuse and betray all his life; it is both his nature and name…but of course you know what he’s like, don’t you dear.” She smiled at Malent.

      “M-me?”

      “Yes, of course. You must know that brute for what he really is.”

      Malent rubbed her neck, feeling the spot of her burn wound. “I-I…um-” she shuffled in place.

      “You poor thing, you don’t have to answer.” She rose and approached the girl. “I’ve been at the receiving end of his vile touch too. That horrid power he has…” Her haunted voice trailed off as she shuddered at the memory. Even Future hadn’t been spared the scaring experience. She shook the trauma from her mind and smiled at Malent. “Women like us have to stick together, support each other. I know! How about you come work for me. I can take you out of this wretched place, and give you a nice home. All I’d asked in return is your help with one favor. Could you do that for me?” She hugged Malent, but the hug felt cold, not what she imagined a hug should feel like; of course, she had no point of reference.

      “What about Jack?” Malent asked. She was intrigued, but what mission would Luck ask her to do, and not him.

      Luck smiled “Jack has a small skillset, but this one is perfectly suited for a powerful warrior like you, not an unmarked weakling like him.”

      Malent was caught, hook, line, and sinker.

 

      Eira walked out of her father’s throne room in a huff. King Gaius was not happy that his daughter and her bodyguard had gone out and gotten beast marks behind his back, but there was little he could do about it now. Of course, that fact just made him even angrier.

      She stared at the marks on her arms. They ached a bit, but everyone assured her that feeling would fade. What didn’t fade, though, was the hollow feeling in her gut. For the past few years she’d been so focused on getting a beast mark that, now that she had one, she wasn’t sure what to do next.

      She was walking around an open courtyard when Captain Johnathan approached her. She acknowledged his presence, but something felt off. All the other guards were staring at them.

      John nodded to them, and instantly all seven of the castle guards in the area rushed her.

      “Frey-!” She tried to scream, but a blow to the back of her head knocked her to the ground.

      “Hey princess.” Malent sneered.

      “Malent.” She spat, dizzy from the hit.

      The guards surrounded her, and Captain Johnathan picked her up by the collar. He knocked her out with a head-butt, before rubbing his forehead and mumbling “Brat always had a thick skull.”

      “Wha-What’s going on?” A voice behind them cried out. The group turned to see Frey staring at them. The instant she saw Johnathan, Malent, and an unconscious Eira she realized just how much danger she was in.

      As the group approached her, she did the math in her head. Malent had three beats marks, but now Frey did too. Unfortunately, Captain Johnathan had many more, not to mention the other guards. There was no way she could win. She needed help.

      Caged, she bolted for the window behind her. Her body, fuelled by adrenalin and panic, began to push blood and energy through her veins. It was as Future said, in a moment of panic and extreme emotion, her beast gift unlocked.  Her arms flared, and she leapt into the sky, flying away on the breeze. She fumbled around in the clouds for a few minutes, adjusting to her beautiful gift of flight, before setting her sights on a tall spire near the heart of the city; The Library.

      Malent and Johnathan could do nothing as the handmaiden disappeared from view. They had not, could not, have foreseen such a thing.

      As Malent stared at the distant speck with concern, Johnathan put a hand on her shoulder. “She’s of no consequence. I’ll get Eira to Luck. You go back to the docks and stay hidden. Report anything that happens back to us. Succeed, and you’ll have proven yourself.”

      Malent smiled proudly. She’d found a new home.

 

      Frey stumbled onto the roof of the library, and awkwardly climbed down. She was greeted by startled friends. She ran to them, panting, and explained all that she’d seen.

      “It must be my brother.” Future seethed. “Malent is his servant; he must have bribed Johnathan too.”

      “The captain did feel slightly more powerful the last time we saw him.” Lo said. “Maybe Evil bribed him with beast marks?”

      Alex frowned. “And he seemed so nice when we went hunting.”

      Future placed a firm hand on his shoulder. “I know…but it seems he was only hugging us to stab us in the back.” His eyes went narrow. “Lo, Erald, get ready. We’re going to the docks.”

 

      The group armed themselves and marched to the southern district of the city. They didn’t even try to be subtle; they knew people were watching, so they weren’t surprised when Evil and Whar came out to meet them, flanked by a handful of soldiers.

     “Well isn’t this unexpected.” Evil smiled. “You coming into my domain, and fully armed.”

      “Cut the false civility Evil, you know why I’m here!” Future glared.

      “Actually, I don’t, but if you’re looking for an excuse to fight I can easily give you one.” He smiled. Future was mad, and that made him happy.

      “Don’t push me. These docks, those houses, your ships; all the wood in this area belongs to me. With a thought, I could trap you and your men inside that den you’ve dug for yourself!”

      Everyone went silent as the two hands prepared to square off. No one dared approach them, except one.

      “Uncle Bor, Evil, please.” Alex walked up and put a hand on his Uncle’s arm before turning to Evil. “All we want is Eira.” He explained.

      “The princess?” Evil stepped back. “I don’t have her. The girl I have is enough trouble.”

      “Well that girl was seen helping Captain Johnathan kidnap Eira.”  Future backed off.

      Evil got quiet and slowly turned. In the distance, he saw a tiny head poking out of an alley a few blocks away.

      From her hiding place, Malent saw her former master turn towards her. She ducked behind the wall as a chill of fear ran down her spine. He couldn’t have seen me, right? I’m too far away…either way; I should go report to Luck.

      “Going somewhere?” A voice above her chimed.

      She looked up to see Evil perched above her, flaming sword in hand. Her scream of surprise was cut off as Evil pounced, wrapped a hand around her throat, and lifted her up. “You have five words to tell me what happened. Choose them well.”

      By this time Future, Alex, and the rest caught up with them.

      “Put her down, Evil.” Future warned.

      “Not until I hear her answer.” He growled.

      “Luck has Eira, Johnathan traitor.” She choked out through the vice grip.

      “So we had the right idea, just the wrong person.” Future lamented.

      “So that only leaves one loose end present.” He turned to Malent, and his hand began glowing around her neck. “You came to me! I took you in, gave you a beast mark, and this is how you repay me? Your parents, whoever they were, had the right idea about you!”

      “Put her down, Evil.” Future demanded, but his brother just shook his head.

      “Not yet, it’s a parents’ responsibility to punish their child, and this whelp needs discipline.”

      “Not with your ‘touch of pain’ she doesn’t.” Future looked scared.

      Malent squirmed in fear. She knew of Evil’s power, his ‘touch of pain’. She’d felt it before, and from his reaction, she guessed Future knew it too. An insidious gift, it allowed Evil to infect anyone he touches with debilitating amounts of pain, but just enough so that they don’t die or pass out. It was nothing short of torture, and he was about to use it on her!

      “No, Evil! She doesn’t deserve it, not that.” Future pleaded, his personal trauma seeping into his voice.

      Evil glared. “You know the old saying, ‘always kill a traitor before an enemy’. I’m just following my own advice.” He smiled at her, relishing the fear in her eyes, when a young voice behind him spoke up.

      “Evil, stop!” 

      He turned to see Alex, his hands blazing and his posture confident. He’d just given Evil, Hand of Death, an order.

      Evil tilted his head in curiosity. “Your fire can’t harm me.” He mocked.

      “Maybe not, but they can.” He smiled and gestured to his family.

      Evil paused. “You would start a war over her?” He gestured to Malent.

      He shrugged. “Why not? It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve gotten into a fight over a girl.” He locked eyes with Malent.

      Anastazia! Her eyes lit up with realization. What kind of sick benevolence was this; this humiliation? She glared at him, but he ignored her and turned back to Evil.

      The Hand smiled at him. “You…I like you. You play a dangerous game, but you play it well. You know I won’t risk fighting with Luck still hovering around as our true opponent…very well.” He tossed Malent aside before spitting. “Get out of here, traitor! I never want you in my sight again! And tell your friend Jack the same.”

      “What do you mean?” Indol asked, speaking up for the first time since they arrived at the docks.

      “That boy, Jack, works for Luck.” He explained casually.

      Alex hung his head. He wasn’t surprised, but he was disappointed. “Now we have to save Eira.” He changed topics quickly. He’d deal with Jack later.

      Future stroked his chin. “Luck must have the princess locked up at her base by now. We can’t enter it, but now that she has the heir in her possession she’ll likely go after Gaius next. We have to warn him!”

      “Especially if Captain Johnathan is involved.” Erald stepped forward.

      “Agreed.” Future turned to Evil. “So…where does this leave us?”

      Evil thought for a moment. “I don’t think this changes anything. I have no interest in allying with you…but him on the other hand.” He turned to Alex. “He…interests me. You say he will be king? That is something I want to see. A boy like this on the throne would certainly be entertaining. So, don’t call this an alliance, how about a truce?” He extended his hand.

      Future paused for a moment, still cautious to let Evil lay a single finger on him. He’d experienced the ‘touch of pain’ once before, and while it made you experience the greatest amount of pain possible without dying, an immortal could withstand an extreme amount of pain. Future shivered at the memory, but a truce with his younger brother was too good to pass up.

      They slowly shook hands and announced “I swear to take no action against you until Luck is dealt with.”

      Evil tightened his grip on Future and smirked. “And I promise not to attack you or your forces until Luck is expunged from this city.”

      Now bound by their oaths, they got to work. Future would guard the king and handle things inside the city, while Evil would patrol the outside and ensure Luck didn’t try and bring in reinforcements.



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing