FF Chapter 2

FF Chapter 2

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

His life changed forever, Alex has to make a tough choice.

"

Chapter 2

      Alex was sent straight to his room. His parents tried to pretend like everything was fine, but he could hear them talking.

      “What are we going to do?” His mother cried. “This has never happened before! It’s dangerous for a child to have powers like that. Right now he’s stronger than I am!”

      “He’s stronger than most people, even some kings.” His father lamented, trying to calm his wife.

      “If anyone finds out about this-” She stopped, and turned to her husband. “FUTURE! If he learns of Alex’s new powers, he’ll take him away. He might have even known this would happen all along!” The two parents locked eyes. They’d known something like this could happen eventually, but never imagined it would be so soon. They both realized the next time Future came, he’d be leaving with Alex. The thought of running crossed their minds many times, but where could they run to? They resigned themselves to fate, or maybe ‘to Lord Fate’, as the case may be.

 

      The next day Alex went to leave the house, when his mother stopped him. “No, you’ll be helping me inside the house today.” She said, her voice shakier than she would have liked.

      “What?” Alex whined. “I was supposed to go walking with dad again today!”

      “Not anymore. You will be helping me with chores, and that’s final!”

      Alex punched the wooden door in frustration, and it shattered. There was a stunned silence as splinters rained down. The entire village came to investigate, then they saw him; Alex, an eight-year-old boy, with a beast mark on his arms.

      His mother hurried him back inside, but it was too late. They replaced the door, but it was too late. They tried to deny what happened, but it was far too late. A few days later they had a visitor, and their hearts sank.

 

      The family opened the new door to find ‘Uncle Bor’, a young smile on his face. “Good afternoon, I- What happened? You’re both pale?” The two explained everything to him, and The Storyteller was somber. “It’s too dangerous for Alex to stay here. People have already seen the mark, and rumours have spread far and wide. That’s what brought me here in the first place, I had to check, and the other Hands aren’t that far behind. I need to take him, now, before someone else does.”

      Both parents shared a look, and asked a question, but they already knew the answer. “We’re not going with him, are we?”

      Future couldn’t look at them. He hung his head in shame and hid tears of empathy.  “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, but Fate dictates he come alone.”

      The parents’ grieving was cut short as a wooden crashing sound rang through the house. They ran to Alex’s room to find it deserted; the boy had been listening!

 

      I won’t go! Alex screamed in his mind, as he ran through the woods that surrounded his home. He knew The Storyteller, Uncle Bor, or whatever his parents called him; he always left after a few days. Alex could wait it out in the woods, surviving off the land.

      He heard a girlish giggle, and stopped dead. Wiping away tears he turned around to see a beautiful and graceful young woman smiling at him. “You seem lost little boy, but don’t worry, it’s your lucky day. I’ll keep you company, come with me. I’ll make sure you never cry again.” She held out her hand to him.

      Before he could respond, a little boy in black appeared, and snarled. “Don’t go with her, she’s boring.” The mischievous child smiled evilly. “You have an interesting mark on your arms. I could show you how to use its power.”

      Alex began to back away from the strangers, when a tree branch bent down and separated them. He turned around to see Uncle Bor behind him, glaring at the other two.

      “Well, isn’t this special. How long has it been since our last family reunion?” He growled.

      The woman glared at the man in grey, all sense of frivolity gone. “Probably a few decades. I think it was when I flooded Trindol.”

      The little boy in black walked behind a tree, and a man in armour emerged. He flicked his wrist and a flaming sword appeared in his hand. “I remember that. You gave my boss quite a bit of work that day.”

      “I’ll take that as a bonus.” She chuckled. Lightning crackled down her arms, and a pair of three-pronged daggers appeared in her hands.

      Alex heard his Uncle Bor whisper “I know you don’t understand what’s happening, but you have to trust me. Run back to the house.”

      “What are you saying to him?” Evil demanded, shedding his boyish voice.

      “Nothing you have to worry about brother. Now if you don’t mind, I’d like to change too. This form isn’t as spry as yours.” Alex watched as the old man walked behind a tree and returned as a young man, now wielding the walking stick as a quarterstaff.  “That’s better.” He smiled.

      Luck purred at Alex “You don’t want to go with these two, do you?”

      Evil pointed his flaming sword at her. “He has a beast mark, at such a young age. He belongs in my army!”

      She pretended to think about it. “No.” She slid her daggers together, sparks dancing along the blades. “I think he belongs to your master!” She pointed a dagger at Alex, and a bolt of lightning sprinted towards him.

      Alex was paralyzed in terror, but a vine blocked the bolt from reaching him. He covered his face from the sparks. He opened his eyes to see the young form of Uncle Bor, standing in front of him, vines sprouting out from his walking stick.

      Luck smiled. “Do you really want to make this a war?”

      Future stood resolute. “Alex, run!”

      Evil grinned. “I guess that answers that.” He swung at Luck, and the fight began.

      It was a three-sided brawl, with alliances forged and broken every second.



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on June 1, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing