FF Chapter 9

FF Chapter 9

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Alex and Future start towards the academy, but question linger in his young mind.

"

Chapter 9

      All the paperwork and formalities were completed by King Gaius. Yanus Academy was rather excited to have not only the local princess, but the beast-marked student of Future himself attending. While Alex prepared, Future took Erald and Lo aside and gave them a mission.

      Future smiled at his friends. “I think Alex is ready enough. I’ll admit I would have preferred waiting until he was more grown up, but it seems time isn’t on our side; Luck is planning something. This kingdom is very important, as it’s the main barrier against EK. The problem is our enemies know that too. Evil and Luck will not be idle. They know we’re here, and if they’re not already in the city, they’ll be on their way. I’ll escort Alex to school, and be waiting for him and Eira when they leave. It’s an hour trip from the city one-way, but until winter it’s a measure we can take. Meanwhile, I want you guys to start investigating the city, try to find out where Evil and Luck could hide. Erald, I know Evil likes the docks; Lo, Luck likes the slums and merchant districts. Start your searches there. Just find the places you can’t enter, and you’ll have found their bases.”

      “It will be done!” Erald swore.

      “You can count on us.” Lo agreed.

 

      Alex was dressed in his best, which was a humble, green, long-sleeved shirt and dark brown pants. Future changed into his elder form, so that people would actually believe he was an ancient being.

      While Future prepared, Erald took Alex aside, and placed a hand on his shoulder.  “Alexander, when I was young, I was sent to a school for nobles. I quickly learned that no one likes a selfish person. Serve others, and you will have nothing to fear. When you see those children, treat them like you would guests of our Library. Be patient, and remember that those who yell are either having a bad day, or have had a bad life.”

      With those words of wisdom, and many hugs, Alex left for his first day of school.

 

      The early morning sun peeked on the massive city as the duo walked along the crowded roads, with Future having to keep Alex focused on their path. The bakeries alone seemed to lead Alex off by the nose.

      “Alex!” Future commanded, and the boy came shuffling back to his side like a sad dog. Future smiled. He knew Alex would be curious, and they’d left very early, but at this rate it would be nightfall before they reached Yanus Academy.

       Alex fiddled with the cards in his pocket, his eyes darting to every kid he passed on the street. He’d catch their eye and force a smile. Sometimes he’d get a smile back, but most would ignore him. He fiddled with the cards even more.

      “What’s wrong?” Future held the boy close. To onlookers it seemed like a grandfather was taking a morning walk with his grandson.

      Alex mumbled “There’re going to be a lot of kids there, right?”

      Future laughed loudly. “At school? Yes, there will be lots of kids at school. I believe that’s the idea actually.” He rubbed the boys’ head tenderly.

      “Oh…” Alex mumbled. “The kids that come to the library don’t seem to like me that much, will these kids be nicer? I’d like to make some friends.”

      Future thought for a moment. “I don’t know, but I’m sure you’ll find nice people.”

      “Have you ever been to Yanus Academy?”

      “No. Hands and ageless aren’t allowed to enter the island, we can’t even set foot on the bridge, a barrier stops us.”

      “Is it like the barrier that stops bad people from coming into the library?”

      Future smiled “It’s exactly like that. ‘Yanus’ was the second name for ‘Teacher’, Right-Hand of Knowledge. He was a nice fellow, well-meaning, foolish, and a bit scatterbrained; always had his mind on three projects at once. The academy itself is on an island, and designed to be completely self-sufficient, even in the worst winters. After all, the island was their home, before the creature came…” Future’s voice trailed off.

      “What’s it like now?” Alex asked cautiously. He knew how much Future hated talking about the past.

      “I hear it’s a nice place, very safe. Both the barrier and the water keep the Dan’darun away. Before you’d have to take a ferry, but recently a stone bridge was made that could endure the harsh waves. Most don’t make the commute, especially those from other lands. Instead they stay in the small town of Sanel that’s just outside the island, or in dorms on site. During winter you’ll be staying at the library permanently.” Future gave Alex a harsh look “and I don’t want you visiting the town. The barrier won’t protect you there.” He waggled a finger at Alex.

      “Why do I have to stay at the library?” Alex exclaimed.

      “It’ll only be for winter.  Before and after that we’ll escort you to and from school, but during winter my powers are weaker; trees don’t grow very fast in the snow. So if Luck or Evil try something I won’t be at my best. That’s when we’d need to keep you close, to protect you. You’re strong, but not that strong; at least not yet.” He rubbed Alex’s head, and the boy smiled.

      Future didn’t smile though. He’d used the powers Fate gave him to try and see what the outcome of all this would be, but ended up just giving himself a headache. There were too many different paths, too many possible endings; some great, some horrible, all having massive impacts on the world. It all hinged on Alex. He had to trust the boy would make the right decisions, or else the whole world was doomed.

      He held the boy even tighter as the two left the city behind, and headed along the paved road to Yanus Academy.



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing