FF Chapter 5

FF Chapter 5

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Years have passed, but a simple breeze will thrust Alex back into danger once again.

"

Chapter 5

       “Welcome to ‘The Royal Public Library’. Fiction and children’s books are on the second floor; non-fiction is on the main.” Alex recited the rehearsed line to some visitors who’d just arrived in the city.

      Alex was about twelve now, and had grown into a fine young boy. He had the body of an acrobat without the bulky muscles of a bodybuilder. He had almost no fat except a bit on his cheeks that was just enough to pinch. He’d grown much taller, but his hair was still short and spiky, only now it was because no one in the library knew how to give a proper haircut.

      He’d gotten this physique during his four years of training, where he’d also grown accustom to his new home and family. It took him a while, but spending literally every second of the last four years in the building, and on its roof, gave him more than enough time.

      Alex, Future, Lo, Erald, and Winchester; none of them had left in four years, only learning news from the people who came in. Future said they couldn’t risk being spotted outside, since if the Hand of Fate was seen in one place with three of his most trusted lieutenants, Evil and Luck would come running to investigate. Fortunately though, none of their followers would dare come close to Fate’s stronghold, since Hands and their lackeys were forbidden from entering each other’s bases.

      The uniform wasn’t bad either; green top, brown bottom, just like the tree in the center. He had to wear long-sleeved shirts and coats to cover the red marks on his arms, and was forbidden from telling anyone about them or showing off his abilities in any way.

      It wasn’t that difficult though, as many of the nicely dressed people who came in weren’t interested in him. They all had different titles, but the fancy words meant little to Alex. To him, they were all equal as customers; some just dressed weirder than others.

      The massive library was impressive, even without the secret basement, and drew many people from far and wide. The huge tree in the center extended all the way up the large ceiling, and Alex often used it to climb onto the roof. No matter the season the tree always stayed healthy, Future ensured that, and during winter some people would come in just to stare at the eternal green. Future had also made a small treehouse for Alex, hidden under the branches.

 

      Another group that always seemed to come into the library were students from the different schools around the city, even from the Royal Institutes. Alex never went to school. His new family taught him everything he knew; everything he needed to know. Sometimes he’d overhear them talking about their assignments, and smile, since he knew the answers. He never actually talked to them about anything other than where to find textbooks and study guides. There were too many things he wasn’t allowed to talk about. It eventually became a silent agreement; he wouldn’t talk to them, they wouldn’t bother him.

      Some people didn’t understand this agreement though, and one day he was approached by a girl. She was about the same age as him, and had a notebook in her hand. “Um, hello. I have to interview someone for my project, and I was wondering if you would mind answering some questions?”

      Uh oh. Alex thought to himself, although he maintained his smile. “Um, sure. I’ll try my best.” He answered shakily.

      The girl opened her notebook. “What’s your average day like?”

      Wake up at dawn, an hour of exercises, one hour of sparring, get cleaned up for work, work, few hours of lessons before bed...There’s also some eating in there too. “I usually wake up, get ready for work, stock shelves, make sure everything is where it’s supposed to be, help people find stuff, then go home.” He smiled. It wasn’t technically a lie.

      “What do you do for fun?”

      I slide down the railing of the infinite staircase in the secret basement, then jump down the middle to get back to the top. “Reading…and climbing.” Still not lies.

      “What do you wanna be when you grow up?”

      A warden with lots of friends! “The head librarian.” That one was a blatant lie.

      “What’s your favourite book?”

      This one he could fully answer truthfully. “The Wolf and the Salamander!” He smiled.

      “I’m not familiar with that one, what’s it about?”

      Alex summarised. “The wolf and salamander were good friends, then one day the slow salamander asked to ride on the swift wolf’s back. The salamander’s hot skin burnt the wolf’s fur coat, and the wolf bit off the salamanders’ tail as revenge. The salamander ran off, but the wolf felt so bad over driving his friend away, he howled every night trying to find him. By the time they were reunited, the wolf’s fur had grown back, and so had the salamanders’ tail. Uncle Win-…one of my uncles would always tell me ‘everything would’ve been fine if they hadn’t gotten mad in the first place’. They’d hurt each other, and got so angry, they forgot that the pain was temporary, but they almost lost their friendship forever…I want to have good friends like that one day.”

      The girl was taken aback at that. “What about the other people here at the library?” She asked.

      “They’re not friends, they’re family.” He smiled.

      She jotted another note down. “Final question: What is the hardest part of your day?”

      Controlling my strength so I don’t end up crushing the books. “Dealing with...difficult customers.”

      The girl walked off, when Alex heard someone yell “I would like to speak to your manager!” The shrill voice that sent shivers up the boys’ spine.

      Alex looked over the railing to where an old woman was arguing with Uncle Bor. Bor, Future in his young form, was being berated by the woman. The being showed remarkable patience, before walking into a back room and re-emerging as his old, grey-cloaked, form. The old man then reiterated what his younger self had explained. Alex had to stifle a laugh as we watched the whole skit play out. All these years and it never got old.

      People usually didn’t cause trouble, and if anyone did Erald would politely ask them to stop. No one argued with the large man, and the soldier seemed ridiculous sitting behind the small desk. Then again, he looked out of place anywhere except behind his shield.

 

      “The library is now closing!” Lo called out, and Erald echoed the cry on the second floor.

      Alex waited with bated breath for the large wooden doors to shut.  A loud *BANG* rang out through the building, and Alex cried out “WOOHOO!” before jumping off the banister and flipping up onto the second floor. He wasn’t allowed to do any acrobatics while people were around, but after closing time, everything was fair game.

      He grabbed some books off the ‘returned’ bin and began climbing up the massive bookcases, balancing a few of the smaller tomes on his head.

      “Alexander! Are you carrying books in your mouth again?” He heard an old voice call up to him.

      He took the book out of his mouth to respond, “Never, Uncle Winchester.”

      “That’s what I thought.” The old man replied, with a throaty chuckle.

      He’d found out that the impeccably dressed old man was a few thousand years old, but the head librarian didn’t look a day over eighty. He also learned that he wasn’t as scary as he seemed. Stairs gave him trouble, though, which was unfortunate because of the endless staircase in the basement.

      Work was over now, and that meant training would begin. This evening was history with Winchester. Alex sighed at the thought. The problem with having a teacher that lived through everything he was teaching was that he could go on for hours about everybody and their dog, but right now was Alex’s time!

      He climbed the tree up to the rafters, past his small hideaway tucked inside the branches, and onto the roof. He started at the sun, setting in the distance, and took a deck of cards out of his back pocket. He remembered the day, a few years ago, when Lo gave them to him.

      “Why can’t I leave the library?” Alex had whined.

      Lo had patiently explained. “Because there are people trying to kill you. We can protect you here.”

       “But other people come and go.”

       “Well...They don’t have people trying to kill them.”

       “What if the people who want me dead die first?”

       “They can’t die.” Lo softly explained.

       “Oh...so, like us?”

       Lo chuckled. “Not exactly. Future can’t die; Erald, Winchester and I can’t age. You can do both. That’s why you should stay inside until you’re old enough that you can handle yourself.”

       “Is that why you guys keep training me?”

      She snuggled him close “That’s exactly why.”

       “So when will I be strong enough?”

       “Hm...” She pretended to think “When you can beat Erald in a fight.” She then laughed at his disheartened face. “Until then, have these.” She’d taken a deck of cards out of her pocket. “Future gave them to me, so I could win a game against Death. I gave them to your parents, and the fact that I got them back means they’re alive in Brig.” She handed them to the little boy.

      “Trust in them. They’ve never betrayed me. Now get up and take that knife out of your boot. It’s time for more training.”

 

      Alex smiled at the memory, and stared at the cards. They were special, like him. They could even do tricks!

      “Okay cards.” He stared at the deck “What’s two plus two?” He pulled a random card. It was the four of spades. “Very good!” He laughed, and shuffled the deck. “Four plus four?” Eight of clubs.

      Then a sudden breeze came, rustling his hideout. Alex grabbed his shirt, but loosened his grip on the cards. The wind grabbed one and ran away. He reached for it, but it was swept away on the summer breeze. He stared as it drifted into the distance.

      After a moment of indecision, he made a choice. Gritting his teeth, he ran along the roof and jumped onto the surrounding wall. He was now as far from the library as he’d been in four years, but the card continued to evade him, driving him farther and farther from his home. As he ran along rooftops and nearly deserted alleyways, he looked behind and memorized the decorative spire of the library. If he wasn’t back before training, Aunt Lo was going to be VERY upset!



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on June 2, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing