FF Chapter 28

FF Chapter 28

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Spring comes, but a fire rages before the flowers can bloom.

"

Chapter 28

      Spring finally crawled out from the blanket of winter, and the snow began to melt around Yanus Academy. Despite the frigid air still lingering, Anastazia walked happily down the bridge to Sanel. Her package had arrived, a gift for Alex. She’d heard his pained howling at night, and could feel his loneliness. She’d selfishly avoided him to protect herself. Alex would never tell her he was hurting, but she hoped her gift would dispel any of those feelings, as well as repay him for the dragon-scale lily. Thankfully the building she was living in had been mostly spared from the carnage in Sanel, and she had moved her treasured plant to her new dorm on the island.

      She walked to the small dock in the town and found the ship from her homeland. One of the sailors handed her a small box tied with rope, and she held it excitedly to her chest.

      She had just past the bridge on her way back to her dorm when a voice she recognized sent a chill down her spine.

      “Well, well, what’s this?” Malent purred. “A present? For me? You shouldn’t have.” She walked up to her and eyed the box suspiciously, greedily.

      Anastazia looked around in a panic, but could find no one. They were alone on the south west side of the island. The only reason anyone would come this way was to visit the arena, or to go to Jack and Alex’s dorm. The pathway was deserted, and it would be a while until anyone else came down it.

      Malent had come to check if Jack had opened the arena yet, when she’d spied easy prey. She reached for the package, curious what the little kitten had been so eager to get.

      The instant her hand touched the box Ana yanked it away and cried. “No! It’s for Alex!”

      Malent was in a good mood. Her grabbing the box had been out of playful curiosity, but now she was upset. “For Alex? That little monster wrecked your home. He’s the reason you had to move into the dorm.”

      “No he isn’t! He stayed behind to protect us. He made sure we didn’t get hurt, and instead… his back got all torn up.”

      “So he got some scratches. He just shrugged them off. Did you see how he could still climb after getting knocked around by that explosion? He’s never been pressured a day in his spoiled little life. Everything was handed to him on a silver platter; power, a comfy life, a bright future...a loving family.” She ranted and raved.

      “That’s not true.” Ana explained. “He works hard every day! I can see him. He ran past my garden three times, three times! That means that while other kids were sleeping in their beds he’s already done three laps of the whole island. He’d have this sad, worried, face on, but he’d always put on a smile for me.”

      Malent scoffed. “He’s just showing off!”

      “He wouldn’t do that sort of thing.” Ana shook her head, and clutched the present close to her chest. “He’s nice. He could hurt others or boss them around, even though he knows no one could stop him if he did, but he doesn’t.”

      “HA!” Malent smiled proudly. “If he tried to push me around I’d destroy him.” he boasted.

      “You’re nothing compared to him!” She bravely defended her friend.

      Malent froze, as Evil’s voice rang through her memory. “Compared to me you are NOTHING!” She got quiet, her face cold. “…’nothing’? Tell me, could ‘nothing’ do this?” She grabbed her hair and pulled her close. “Or this?” She kneed the girl in the side.

      Injured and scared, Ana clawed at her attacker, her Caniko heritage seeping through as short claws extended from her fingers. Malent recoiled at the scratches, but they were nothing compared to what Evil had put her through.

      Ana stood her ground, but she didn't stand a chance.

 

      Jack found her unconscious a while later, and rushed her to the infirmary. She still hadn’t woken up by the time Alex got there. The two roommates waited quietly outside.

      “Is she going to be okay?” Alex begged.

      “I think so.” Jack did his best to try and stay detached, but even he wasn’t immune to Alex’s pained face. “From what I overheard she was pretty banged up, but she’ll pull through. We have some good doctors here, don’t worry.” He tried this best to comfort, but didn’t know what to say or how to speak; he’d never been in this position before. He took out a box and handed it to Alex. “She had this in her hands when I found her. The tag on it is addressed to you.”

      Alex opened the box. Inside was a white wolf-pelt jacket and hat. Alex held the box close to his chest, his teeth clenched as he fought back tears.

      “You okay?” Jack asked.

      “No…” He turned to Jack, his expression calm and cold. “Open the arena. Spread the word. If anyone wants to fight me, let them fight me. I’ll be waiting.”

 

      The open invitation became the worst kept secret on the island. At least half the school turned up to watch the handful of competitors brave enough to challenge Alex. The teachers attended as supervisors, but they knew they couldn’t stop the fight if they tried.

      Alex was wearing his new fur jacket as he paced back and forth around the arena. He’d refused any weapons. Jack walked up to the challengers’ side, where Malent was getting ready with her small group of allies. It was squaring up to be ten-on-one.

      She smiled as the gambler approached. “So” she asked “Think he’ll actually fight me this time?”

      “I’m sure of it.” Jack replied somberly. “He refused any weapons.”

      “Then so will I.”

      “The others picked a few sparring swords and shields.”

      “Well that’s their choice.” She waved it off. Despite a few normal and beast marked students joining in, she considered this a fight between her and Alex. “I’m sure you’ll be making some money on this either way.”

      “Oh, there are lots of people betting, that’s for sure.”

      “And where are you placing your money?” She smirked.

      “On Alex.” He said nonchalantly.

      “Wha-Why? It’s ten-on-one and we have more beast marks.”

      “Because every time you insulted him, or attacked him, he just smiled back. Even when Evil and Luck were chasing him, he seemed to enjoy it in a weird way.” He looked over at the boy standing across the field. “He’s not smiling now.”

      With that, he left the competitors and went to his referee box. On his way he noticed Gordian sitting in the stands, obviously unhappy. “Gordian? I thought you’d be with Malent and the rest challenging Alex.”

      The boy meekly shook his head.  “No, not this time, not against Alex.”

      “Mind if I ask why?” Jack said, while getting everything cleaned up around his seat; he had a feeling he might be there a while.

      Gordian hung his head. “Because he doesn’t deserve it, any of it. I was there in Sanel, I helped start the fight…but the instant the fighting actually started I ran. Then I saw Luck and Evil hunt Alex like an animal. Luck, the woman I’d pledge to help, whose cause I could have died for…” He shook his head.

      Jack could sympathise. The Hand of Coincidence had a way of twisting people. Gordian was fortunate; most people never break free from her strings.

      The stadium went wild as both teams emerged onto the arena. Jack took a deep breath, and rang the bell.

 

      Alex heard the ring, but didn’t move. He just locked eyes with Malent. Her side was arranged in two rows. Five non-marked students in front, five beast marked students in the back, with Malent back-center.

      The five non-marked students rush him first, while the more experienced fighters stayed back. Malent figured Alex would have no problem with the pawns, and wanted to wait for a one-on-one duel.

       Alex didn’t flinch as the five charged him. He gritted his teeth and stood his ground. He was tired of running, tired of hiding, tired of smiling and pretending everything was alright. His arms surged with every seething breath; they cackled and sparked. After months of confinement his power would finally be released.

      The first three reached him at the same time, and brought their wooden weapons down. He blocked the hits with his arms. He locked eyes with Malent from between the bodies of the trio. As the wood struck his beast marks, what looked like sparks danced off his arm, and the wooden weapons began to char.

      With a yell he pushed back all five of his attackers, his arms bathed in flame. As the crowd looked on, Alex smiled threateningly; he’d just unlocked his beast gift. He took a moment to comprehend what had just happened. Future was right; the instant he knew what his gift was, a part of his brain seemed to unlock, giving him instinctive knowledge on how to use it. He stared at his hands, and commanded the fire to surround him. It was a tamed beast, though, and he didn’t allow a single spark to touch his precious jacket.

      One of the unmarked students reached for his sword, but Alex shot flames from his hands and commanded it to consume the inferior weapon. At that point the five were smart enough to stay down, or run. That left Malent and her four beast-marked allies.

      In the stand, Ms. Jensing called for the match to end, and the bell rang out, but no one heard it. The fighters were too far gone.

      Gordian stared at the powerful display. “What-What just happened?” He cried.

      Jack smirked. “The lion woke up.”

      Before the shock had fully worn off, Alex dashed towards the back line, and slipped behind one of the marked student; a boy two years older, but two beast marks weaker. He elbowed him in the side, and followed up with a kick that knocked the fight out of them.

      Taking a lesson from Erald’s legend, he kept up his mobility and fought the tougher foes one at a time, falling back if he faced two or more at once, and capitalizing on their fear.

      In the end, Malent stood alone, one-on-one, against the blazing Alexander. He’d saved her for last. She was the one who hurt Ana, she had to be. The would-be bully was on her back, cowering. He slowly approached her, his arms bathed in flame.

      She covered her head and cried in traumatized terror “Lo-Lo, Lord Evil! No! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” As her arms came up to protect her face, they pushed her hair aside, and Alex saw a burn mark that had been hidden on her neck.

      He froze and looked around. A few sparks had leapt from the arena onto the stands, and all the audience was staring at him in fear. The arena itself was a warzone, and the fighters he’d beaten were still groaning in pain where they’d fell.

      He stared at himself, at his arms, and then at Malent. He was about to hit her, no; he was about to hurt her! Terrified, Alex fled from the arena. No one dared follow him.

 

      His feet carried him all the way to the bridge. He wanted to go home! He didn’t care about Gaius’ stupid decree, he didn’t care if his friends hated him, and he didn’t care if Future hated him. He just wanted to go home, curl up in his treehouse or room, and never come out!

      As he left the bridge behind, he spotted someone.

      “Alex?” Future smiled oddly. The Hand was just standing there, relieved, and with open arms.

      Alex ran into his friends’ embrace, and broke down. His tears clouded his eyes, and his cries tore through the air.

      Future smiled tenderly to the fragile child in his arms. “It’s okay.” He cooed. “You can cry. I won’t tell anyone.”



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing