15: Math Studies

15: Math Studies

A Chapter by Mikey S.
"

Sarah is failing Algebra class and is in danger of getting kicked off of the Cheer Squad unless she can pull her grade up so she ask Tom to tutor her.

"
Lakeside High: Room C216
Tom and Sarah sit in 1st period Algebra class. Sarah stares off into space.

Instructor Dillard: So if you take (5x+10y+5z) - (3x-7y+z) what do you get, Sarah?

Sarah doesn’t hear the question staring off into space. Instructor Dillard drops a book onto Sarah’s desk to wake her up.

Sarah: Eight.

The class laughs.

Instructor Dillard: Pay attention Sarah. This will be on Friday’s test. Tom what did you get?
Tom: 2x+17y+4z
Instructor Dillard: Correct. Maybe Tom should tutor Sarah so she can pass on Friday.

Sarah’s House: Sarah’s Room- Evening
Sarah and Savannah talk.

Savannah: So what are you freaking out about?
Sarah: My grade in Algebra is slipping.
Savannah: You screw up one class. What’s the worst that can happen?
Sarah: If my grade drops below a C average then I’ll be kick off the squad.
Savannah: Well is there anybody that can help you. I’m no good in math.

Courtney arrives.

Courtney: I’m here.
Sarah: You’re late.
Courtney: I got held up. So what’s your problem?
Savannah: She’s failing Algebra.
Sarah: I need someone that can tutor me.
Courtney: Anyone in mind?

Tom’s House: Tom’s Room- Next Day Evening
Tom: You’re saying you don’t believe in omens Andy?
Andrew: Nope.
Tom: What if an ancient artifact said to give you bad luck forever if broken happens to shatter after you touch it. Then the next day bad things happen to you all day.
Andrew: It’s just a coincidence.
Tom: What is a guy from the future comes to you and gives you a key. Then he explains to you that the world will come to an end in the next ten years and that is the only key that can save us all and you are the only one that can use it. So as time goes on you lose the key and don’t bother to search for it and then in the ten years the world starts to fall apart. Would you believe in omens then and what would you do?
Andrew: No and the world can save itself.
Tom: Man you're evil.

The door bell rings. Tom gets up and goes downstairs. Andrew follows.

Tom’s House: Living Room
Tom(joking): Well now I know that I can trust you with my life(laugh).

Tom opens the door to find Sarah there.

Tom: Sarah? This is pretty odd. Is Kyle here too?
Sarah(walking in): No freshmen it’s just me.

Tom shuts the door.

Sarah: I need your help.
Tom: My help? With what?
Sarah: I want you to tutor me in Algebra. Just enough to pass Friday’s test.
Tom: This is surprising. What brought this up?
Sarah(snap): Will you help or not?
Tom: Ok, I’ll do it. I guess we can work at the table in here. I’m going to get my book.

Tom waltzes upstairs to get his book. Sarah talks to Andrew in the mean while.

Sarah: So why are you here?
Andrew: Hanging out.
Sarah: Losers.

Daisy arrives home from work.

Daisy: Hello.
Sarah: Hi.

Tom comes back downstairs with the book.

Tom: Hi mom, this is Sarah. We’re studying for a test on Friday.
Daisy: Alright, I’ll leave you to that.

Daisy exits into the kitchen. Tom, Andrew and Sarah sit.

Tom: We were talking about polynomials. Pretty much all you have to do is combine common variables. Take the first problem. (64x+81y) + (12x+73z), what’s the answer?
Sarah: There are three variables. How and I suppose to solve that?
Andrew: You don’t do anything with y and z. Just add 64x and 12y and bring everything down.
Sarah(snaps): Who asked you?

The doorbell rings.

Tom: Andy can you get that?

Andrew opens the door.

Andrew: Tom. Courtney and Savannah are here.
Tom: Eh?

Courtney and Savannah enter. Andrew shuts the door.

Tom: Don’t tell me you guys need to be tutored too.
Savannah: Get real freshmen.
Courtney: Nice place you’ve got here Tom.
Sarah: I thought I said I would come alone.
Savannah: Courtney decided to come. I tried to stop her.
Courtney: I’ve never been here before so I thought, why not come now.
Savannah(argue): Yeah right. You just came so you can…
Courtney(interrupting Savannah/argue back): No I didn’t.

Sarah, Courtney and Savannah argue back and forth for a while.

Tom(shout): CALM DOWN!

Sarah, Courtney and Savannah stop arguing.

Tom: My mom is in the other room, she can hear everything that’s going on in here. Can we keep it down?
Courtney: Sorry Tom.
Savannah: Yeah whatever.
Sarah: Let’s just get back to the lesson.

The evening begins to die down and Sarah, Courtney and Savannah all go home. Daisy reenters the living room.

Tom(exhausted): God, who would have thought tutoring would be such a pain. How does everyone finds out where I live anyway?
Andrew(lying/guilty): Bad luck for you I guess.
Daisy: You were able to handle that nicely though. I didn’t know you had so many female friends.
Tom: Mom.
Daisy: I’m just saying. Andrew do you need a ride home?
Andrew: No, my ride should be here soon.

Tom tutors Sarah all throughout the week for the upcoming test on Friday.

Lakeside High: Room C216- Friday
Tom: Are you ready Sarah?
Sarah: Of course I am.
Tom: So if you have to multiply two variables, what do you do?
Sarah: Add them.
Tom: Dividing two variables?
Sarah: Subtract them.
Tom: And when there is a minus sign in between two pairs of parentheses?
Sarah: Distribute the minus to each in the second pair of parentheses and change plus to minus and minus to plus.
Tom: You’ll do great.

The late bell rings. Tom sits in his seat. Instructor Dillard starts handing out the test.

Instructor Dillard: I hope you all studied. For those who didn’t, it will impact your grade.

Throughout the course of the test, Tom periodically looks over to Sarah and notices here struggling several times. As the period ends, the class finishes the test.

Instructor Dillard: Before the period ends, I looked over some of your test and some of you did pretty well.
Student: How much is some?
Instructor Dillard: Just some.

The bell rings and the class exit the classroom. Instructor Dillard stops Sarah before she exits.

Instructor Dillard: I looked over your test and I must say you did well.
Sarah: Did I get an A?
Instructor Dillard: I’m not allowed to say right now.

Instructor Dillard hands Sarah a folded post-it note.

Instructor Dillard: See you on Monday.

Sarah leaves the classroom and opens the note. Sarah sees that she got an A.

Tom’s House: Living Room
Andrew: So how did Sarah do on the test?
Tom: She was struggling but after class she said she aced it.
Andrew: That’s good.
Tom: I’m just glad this week is over.

The door bell rings. Tom opens the door to find Richard there.

Richard(walking in): Hey Tom, Sarah told us how you helped her pass the test today. Can you help me in Chemistry?
Andrew: Déjà vu huh?
Tom: Seriously how does everyone find out where I live?


© 2010 Mikey S.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on August 11, 2010
Last Updated on August 11, 2010


Author

Mikey S.
Mikey S.

MD



About
What's up all? I've been writing since I was 12 starting with short stories and thus far they have been my best forms of work. I do a bit of poetry from time to time but it's sometimes rare for me.. more..

Writing
1: First Day 1: First Day

A Chapter by Mikey S.