Wolf

Wolf

A Chapter by Amber Daniel

Days Missing: 16      10:23:22 PM

 

Alexandria

At first I think it’s a dream. How is he here? I rise from crouching over Iris, taking a cautious step forward, afraid that if I move too fast, he’ll disappear, blow off into the wind like smoke. He looks at me, tears filling his eyes. He rushes over to me. I reach out my hands, and grab a fistful of his shirt, burying my face into his chest. My whole body begins to shake violently as I sob into him, the tears burning the gash on my cheek, soaking his shirt. His strong arms wrap around me, incasing me in that cocoon that I’ve been longing for. They tighten, keeping me secure. Finally, I am secure.

I hear choked sounds. I look up, and I see him crying. There is so much pain on his face.

“What did he do to you?” he begs, anger and fear flashing through his eyes, fingers gripping my shoulders. His eyes notice the gash on my cheek, the bruises on my neck and wrists, the scratches on my chest. I try to tell him, but instead of words, choked gasps fall out of my lips, my body racked with sobs, and I grasp him fiercely.

I suddenly remember what Roan has told me, and I force myself to pull it together. “It’s a trap.” I look up at him, swallowing the tears, trying to steady my shaking voice. I turn away from him, pulling myself out of his arms. “It’s a trap.” I say it louder, turning my body to everyone else. “This is exactly what he wanted. He took me because he knew Zane would come looking for me.” I turn back to Zane, wrapping my fingers around his arms, my eyes wild. “Zane, he’s going to kill you.”

“She’s right.” Lennox, who’s been silent ever since Roan told us his plan, speaks up.

“You guys have to get out of here, now.”

Fear once again starts rising in my body. If Roan catches all of us here…

I turn around to find Iris in Saxon’s arms, and reach out my hand. She walks over and takes my outstretched hand. I look at her and smile, pushing a strand of hair out of her face. Her face is still very pale, but her fever has seemed to simmer down. “I love you.” I whisper. Her blue eyes sparkle.

We allow Lennox to come with us. After Roan found out he was trying to help us escape, he locked him in the cell with rest of us, not before punishing him severely. All ten of us quietly make our way out of the dreaded cell, with the tall boy who brought them here leading us out into the open.

 It’s dark, and the moon is out. I realize I haven’t seen the moon in forever. The cool breeze blows against my hot skin, soothing my wounds. Iris releases my hand and goes to Saxon, who wraps his arms around her shoulders protectively. He dips down to kiss her on her forehead. Zane takes my hand, interlocking our fingers together.

“Come on!” Lucas ushers all of us into a forest. I finally have a chance to take in the sight of the place I was being held captive. It’s an old warehouse, probably abandoned years ago. It’s settled right outside of a beautiful forest. The leaves and sticks beneath us crunch with every step, putting me on edge. I grip Zane’s hand tighter. I see Aiden right beside me, still guarding me. I look behind me, eyes darting to find Lex. He’s walking right behind me, body still alert. I feel my tense body begin to loosen. The others form a ring around me and Iris, protecting us. I finally allow myself to think that I am finally safe.

There’s scuffling behind us in the distance, and we hear footsteps colliding with the earth, running, coming closer and closer. My heart begins to thump and I grip Zane’s arm as he and the others turn and arch their bodies, ready to attack whatever was coming.

Roan bounds from out of the shadows, Xander at his heels. Zane steps in front of me, locking his hands on my arms, and Saxon shoves Iris behind him, body tense. Roan looks around, pushing his way to the middle of us. Rage fills his eyes as he looks at the tall boy leading us to safety. Roan’s eyes widen with anger. His hand disappears behind his back, reappearing with a gun.

“You little s**t.” He snarls, pointing the gun at the boy.

He pulls the trigger.

A yelp escapes my lips as I cover them with both hands.

“No!” Zane yells. Everyone looks at Roan, too shocked to move.

The young boy lies on the ground, blood spilling from his head.

Saxon shifts his weight in front of Iris. Lucas bravely steps up to Roan, hands up high. “Wait!” he shouts. “He was just a boy!” He says to Roan. Roan smirks, lowering the gun. Zane looks at the young boy lying on the ground. Sorrow fills his eyes. He pulls me into his chest, blocking my face from the awful sight. I hear someone leave my side, and push their way to the center, moving quietly, like a deer. The footsteps are light, and I know it’s Aiden. “Roan.” He pleads. “Roan, please.” He begs. “No one needs to die.”

“I beg to differ.” Roan says menacingly.

A gunshot slices through the air. I whip around, pushing Zane away, my ears ringing.

Aiden lies on the ground. Blood gushes out from his stomach, soaking the dirt beneath him. His wide eyes are fixed on the dark sky above. I turn to Roan, who’s raised the gun again. It’s smoking.

“Aiden!” I scream, rushing over to him. His clouded gaze finds me. His breath is increasing. I frantically press my hands to the wound, trying to stop the blood. Tears fill my eyes as I beg him to stay with me. His hand grabs mine, slick with blood. His small lips form silent words.

“It’s ok.”

“No! No it’s not ok! Don’t leave me! You can’t leave me like this!” I shout, my whole body shaking. He spits up blood, making choked noises. Someone rushes to my side. Zane puts his hands over mine, trying to stop the bleeding. Aiden sounds strangled. “Do something!” I shout frantically. “He’s dying!”

Aiden grips my wrist weakly. “Alexandria.” He gasps. I wrap my hand, dripping with blood, around his.

Everything’s going to be ok.

He chokes. My lip begins to tremble, tears falling down my face. One falls into the gash on my cheek, and it burns viciously. His beautiful big eyes sparkle. I know it’s useless. I know I’m going to lose him. He locks his eyes on mine, pleading.

 Please take care of Lex for me.”

His breath rattles and his eyes roll back.

“No!” I shout desperately. “No! Aiden! Please come back!” I’m shaking his crumpled body. Zane wraps his arms firmly around my arms, pulling me off of him. He spins me around to face him. I hit his chest with my fists angrily, tears flowing down my face. My body is racked with sobs. I finally fall into Zane, burying my face into his chest.

A frightening roar fills the air, and I know it’s Lex.

Zane and I turn to face him. He lunges at Roan, kicking the gun out of his hand. Roan backs into a tree. Lex punches him in the face, and Roan falls to the cold ground. Straddling him, Lex grabs Roan by the collar of his shirt, lifting him slightly, and hits him again and again. Roan shouts for help from Xander, from anyone. Xander just stands there. He looks just as shocked at the deaths of the two boys as we do. Lex strikes him repeatedly. So much anger. So much strength. Nobody tries to stop him. With every blow, I wince. Not for Roan, but for Lex. For his pain. For what he’s lost. Aiden was all he had when he was a kid. He didn’t have anyone else. I saw how they acted together. When Aiden moved, Lex moved. When Lex slept, Aiden slept. They were connected. Bonded. They were brothers. And this monster, which now lies at the mercy of Lex, has taken that from both of them.  There’s so much force and anger in each blow that Lex’s knuckles begin to bleed. Roan is becoming weak. He can’t take much more much longer.

Roan finally stops moving.

Lex releases his hold from Roan’s shirt, and Roan’s limp body falls to the ground with a solid thump. He’s barely recognizable. Lex continues to hover over him, glaring and breathing hard. Channing walks up behind Lex and pulls him off Roan. Pushing Channing away, he rushes over to Aiden, tears in his eyes. He falls to his knees, hovering over his limp body. He cups Aiden’s small face in his hands. Finally breaking down completely, he presses his forehead against Aiden’s, his body shaking, tears falling onto Aiden’s emotionless face. Nobody tries to move him.

Suddenly, Lex raises his head to the moon,

and howls.



© 2013 Amber Daniel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think the climax needs to be rethought.

First, I feel like I should point out that the hero of this story, Zane, has officially done nothing to help save Alexandria. All we saw while she was missing was him moping in his room. Someone else told him about The Alley and he went to stir up trouble which didn’t really get anyone anywhere. Then someone else brought Knox in. And, finally, here is Roan. He kidnapped his girlfriend, raped and beat her and Zane… watches while a complete stranger (to him) beats Roan to death.

At this point, I think I could cut Zane out of the story and nothing would change.

Characters have got to be the driving force behind the narrative. If Zane really is the hero, and it feels like you wrote him to fill that role, he’s got to take the lead and force the narrative forward. I talked a lot about three-dimentional characters; a character who takes the lead and drives the story forward is inharently three dimentional.

Here, at the climax, we should get to see Zane and Roan squaring off. It should be the culmination of the struggle between the two men throughout the book. This just doesn’t have that satisfying feel. It just feels like another event in a sequence of events that doesn’t really go anywhere.

Second, if this whole thing was just an elaborate plan for Roan to kill Zane… why didn’t he? Why did he bother shooting the other kids if Zane was the real target? Futhermore, why wasn’t he there when the trap was to be sprung?

I like the fact that Roan’s cruelty kinda proved to be his undoing. There’s something satisfying there, but the rest of this conflict needs some serious work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A fantastic climax. It'll be interesting to see what happens from here!

Posted 10 Years Ago


:( I feel so sorry for Lex! Poor thing! I would've killed Roan! This is a great chapter:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2013
Last Updated on August 15, 2013
Tags: action, romance, angst, drama, adventure, love, erotica, mature, chaos, disaster, dark, gangs, violence, smut, abuse, emotional, emotionalviolence, emotionalromance, relationship, family


Author

Amber Daniel
Amber Daniel

Iowa Park, TX



About
Just an amateur writer who's hoping to be heard someday. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amber Daniel


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amber Daniel


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Amber Daniel