A GIRL WITH A FAR AWAY EYES

A GIRL WITH A FAR AWAY EYES

A Chapter by NeiL ArandA
"

You always had that look of otherness, eyes that see things much farther off, and thoughts that wander off the edge of the world.

"

It's not a season of our national fruit, yet somehow I find myself irresistibly drawn to you. Same way a fruit fly is attracted to the sweet scent of a ripe yellow mango. What is it that you stood out among our class as the best person that I have singled out to tease. But what I knew about you changed on that one cloudy, breezy September afternoon as our group stood on a busy corner of a provincial highway.

I saw you standing alone in your usual pensive mood with arms folded across your chest while the ocean breeze gently caresses your straight jet black hair. I thought my timing was perfect and employed my usual intrusive antics to push your button but I was ignorant of what I'm about to get.

Your response blindsided me like a bewildered lad who threw a rock into the water expecting to see a loud splash, instead it was all ripples. You were slightly annoyed by my intrusion as if I have disturbed your dream or woke you up  in the middle of some somewhere in time romantic escapade. You mumbled saying something like: " naman or It's you go again !? " Instead of losing your poise, you simply rolled back your eyes, pulled a cute smirk, threw me a serious look then cast your gaze farther away into infinity. What I saw in your countenance changes my perception of you forever.

That look silenced me for as long as I could remember. Like a splash of cold water into my perplexed face. I have no slight inkling that the water I was testing was so deep. Deeper than my naive mind could possibly fathomed. Those far away eyes probed beyond the shallowness of my silly behavior. As if they were looking farther into the future. Venturing into the edge of the earth or some parallel universe. Those gaze woke me to reality that you have no patience with such childish foolishness.

So you asked me why I was picking on you back then ? Perhaps it's my way of disguising this butterfly effect trapped inside my hollow chest. Maybe it's my simple way of saying, how truly elegant you are in your inconspicuousness. It's my special way of acknowledging your loveliness in your own little world of time traveling. The only way I think I could safely convey and bravely concede my utmost admiration ...

by Neil Aranda 02/20/2016



© 2016 NeiL ArandA


Author's Note

NeiL ArandA

A gift to a classmate in grade school.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your story has true depth and a natural flow that lends to the backdrop

Posted 8 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Cherrie. I'm still novice in this area and style of writing. I appreciate your t.. read more
Admiration depicted in simple and innocent manner...would be back to continue the read!

Posted 8 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

8 Years Ago

Thanks Amos for reading this. Its a childhood scene in my head that I wanted to pen and captured.
A. Amos

8 Years Ago

You're most welcome my friend
Lovely. I like it. It makes me reminisce of my college crush though he is not handsome, but his simplicity and love of music give him such appeal to me.

I relate the story to our dreams. There are some dreams that are easy to achieve while some are not.

I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

8 Years Ago

Glad you like it. Thanks for reading Dhaye.Capturing that one scene or moment in my childhood past a.. read more
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

8 Years Ago

I agree that past memories never leaves someone. Sometimes we use to compare them to our present as .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

765 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 20, 2016
Last Updated on June 23, 2016
Tags: Memories, Challenge, Childhood

RANDOM THOUGHTS


Author

NeiL ArandA
NeiL ArandA

Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
JESUS AND THE SPARROWS Consider The Sparrow Here Jesus was walking alone along the Mediterranean Sea near Tiberius in the northern part of Israel and He offers seeds to some sparrows searchi.. more..

Writing
ABSCOND ABSCOND

A Poem by NeiL ArandA