Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

A Chapter by AJT
"

Strange things begin to happen as the group sleeps

"

Awaken dark knight... Awaken and fulfill your destiny to me...

Drake woke with a start his heart pounding unbearably within his chest. That voice… he placed a hand over his face feeling the sweat sticking to the palm of his hand. I must be dreaming…

“Is that what you believe or is that what you know?”

Drake sat upright observing his surroundings. His jaw dropped at the sight. Instead of the inside of his tent, he found that he was inside a majestically adorned room. It was well taken care of with its dark oak floors and flawlessly etched walls of symbols he would rather forget. Set in the back of the room on a platform was a throne, lined in gold trimming and set with blood red cushions. Realization came to his mind after recognizing the room. This was the initial Dark Lord’s throne room; a sight he hasn’t witnessed in nearly two years.

Laughter could be heard echoing throughout the room, its source emitting in the direction of the throne. Drake turned back, his eyes wide in alarm at whom he saw. Caleb: the purveyor of destruction, the original Dark Lord.

“Come, bearer of the black arts! It’s time for you to fulfill your obligation to me by taking the lives of the Guardians.”

Drake shook his head in defiance. “No, I will never do such a thing nor would I ever do anything for you!”

“You did once before.” Caleb’s mouth curled into an inciting smile as Drake reached for his sword. “Do you plan to kill me now?”

Drake clasped his hand tightly around the hilt of his sword. “I don’t know how you’ve managed to come back from the dead,” he unsheathed his blade, swinging it down to the side ominously, “but I will make sure you never come back!”

“Is that so?” Caleb questioned with a chuckle a sword now gripped tightly in his hand. “Show me how you plan to achieve such a feat.”

Drake raised his sword, charging his worst fears in a blind rage.


Haru woke to find himself in a dimly lit area. He sat upright, bit by bit, waiting for the pain to return in his chest. His brows rose skeptically when he felt nothing; not even the tightness of stitches. He placed a hand to his chest, feeling for the wound, yet finding nothing and feeling nothing besides the pressure from his own touch.

That’s right. Tygra healed me…

He thought back to what he last remembered. He had awoken earlier that night, finding Drake sitting a few feet from him on the dirt ground, polishing the blade of his sword. After realizing Haru was awake, Drake told him everything that had happened up until that point, and then…

Did I fall asleep?

Haru rubbed his forehead wearily; dull pain was plaguing his mind. He couldn’t remember what had happened after that.

He allowed his hand to drop to the side, colliding with a candle stick set on the ground behind him. Quickly, Haru picked up the candle setting it back within its holder before the flames had a chance to set the tent ablaze. He sighed, looking towards Drake, finding his spot vacant.

“Odd,” he said aloud, picking up his sword that had been set beside him and stood to his feet. “He left while the candle was still burning?”

He walked towards the tent’s entrance, strapping his sword and sheath to his side along the way, and pulled back the cloth covering the entrance, and stopped. A dazzling light poured into the tent, causing him to shield his eyes with his free hand for a brief moment. After his vision adjusted, he lowered his hand back down to his side, seeing an open field full with wild flowers. He walked out from inside the tent cautiously; something didn’t feel right here.

“Oh, Sir Haru! It’s wonderful that you could come!”

Haru turned back towards the tent seeing Katrina now in its place.

“Lady Katrina!” He questioned taking a step towards her, noting the absence of the tent yet paying it no mind for the time being. “What are you doing here my Lady? The enemy is not too far-”

Katrina raised her hand halting his anxious words. “We mustn’t worry of the enemy any longer, Haru.” She lowered her hand a bright smile crossing her features. “The Guardians have defeated the Dark Lord! It’s finally over!”

“Is that so?” Haru questioned a little disappointed. He had hopes in aiding the Guardians in their quest and hopes in defeating Katsuro once and for all.

“Come.” Katrina turned from him placing her hands behind her, locking her fingers together. “We must return to the castle! There is much work to be done!

Haru followed after her but stopped shortly when something caught his eye. There, on her left forearm, he noticed a lengthy, serrated scar. Katrina had no such scar, but he knew of someone who had.

“Katsuro.”

Katrina stopped at the sound of the name. “What made you guess?”

“That scar,” Haru began looking off to the side, “I’ll never forget that scar.”

“Is it because I received it while saving your life?” Katsuro’s voice emitted from Katrina’s body and as she turned to face him, her form re-figured itself into his. He smiled, bringing up his arm fully revealing the scar for Haru to see. “I too shall never forget this scar.” He unsheathed his sword pointing the tip of the blade out towards Haru‘s chest. “Too bad yours will never be known.”

Haru placed a hand to his chest, recalling the pain he had the moment Katsuro’s blade cut through him. He then allowed that same hand to drop down to his side and grasped the hilt of his blade. “I will never understand why you have betrayed us.” He unsheathed his sword holding it out before him. “And I no longer wish to understand. I shall defeat you Katsuro. Here and now.” And with those words he charged his former friend; his new foe.


Drake’s sword clashed with Caleb’s setting the two at a standstill. Caleb’s golden eyes gleamed with his lust for battle as a malign grin formed over his features. “Join me, dark knight. With your powers we should rid this world of the weak!”

Drake swung his blade to the left, knocking Caleb’s to the side as well, before kicking him hard in the gut. He backed away, raising his sword once more. “I will never join you!”

Caleb rubbed gently at his sore stomach, his grin now a fierce snarl. “Then Die!”


Haru stumbled back; his stomach ached from the blow sustained by Katsuro’s kick. If I keep fighting like this, I will not last...

He raised his sword blocking another one of Katsuro’s attacks. “What’s the matter dear friend? Running low on energy?”

Haru brought up his right arm, knocking Katsuro’s sword away then immediately punched him, making direct contact with his jaw. Katsuro fell flat on his back dazed from the potent strike of his rival’s fist. Haru stepped towards him his sword tight to his side. “I was waiting for your mistake.” Their gazes locked. “Your mistake of underestimating me.” He raised his sword.


Drake fell to the ground, stunned by Caleb’s last attack. He blinked a few times in an attempt to clear his vision when Haru came into view before him. His brows narrowed in uncertainty. Haru?

Haru raised his blade.  “Haru!” Drake raised his right hand, supporting his weight with the other, in an attempt to shield himself, his sword just out of hand‘s reach. “What are you doing? It’s me, Drake!” He searched his eyes; the light of acknowledgment was missing from his gaze. What’s going on? Is he in a trance?

Drake rolled to his right as Haru stabbed towards him, his sword tunneled deeply into the soft dirt around them.

“I got to wake him!” He kicked out, striking the back of Haru’s legs, knocking him to the ground. Drake instantly stood to his feet and kicked away Haru’s sword, before retreating a few paces back, watching him carefully.

Haru rolled over to his hands and knees, shaking his head.

“Haru?” Drake stepped towards him cautiously.

He continued to stand.

“Haru?”

He turned towards him, placing a hand to the back of his head. “Ah, what happened?” He looked to Drake, noting he was no longer being basked in sunlight surrounded by the wildflowers but was now standing deep within the woods, the moonlight shining through the treetops. “Where are we? Where’s Katsuro?”

Drake sighed in relief. “Good, it worked!”

“What did?” Haru lowered his hand, puzzled by what he meant.

“You were in some sort of trance.” Drake looked to the ground. “I must have been too.” Finding his sword he walked towards it, picked it up and placed it back within its sheath. “When you hit me I must have been knocked out of it.”

“Wait, I hit you?”

Drake walked to where he kicked Haru’s sword and picked it up as well and then handed it to Haru. “Don’t worry. I got you back.”

Haru took his sword. “Thank you, I think.”

“You’re welcome.” He said hitting Haru lightly on the arm. “Now, let’s go find the others. If this is what we went through I can only imagine what they‘re going through.”

* * *

Tygra rolled to her side, awakening from a peaceful sleep. She could see the forms of the others as they slept cozily on their bed made of leaves. All except Jade’s form. She was missing from her designated side of the tent.

Strange… She sat upright, now wide awake with the disappearance of her friend. She looked to the others. I won’t wake them. Not yet at least.

Standing to her feet, Tygra stumbled through the dark, hoping not to wake the others. After reaching the cloth entrance she let out a long breath then preceded to pull back the cloth. The campfire had burnt down, leaving the full moon above to light the area.

Everything seems alright...

She stepped out from the tent. “Now where did Jade get to?”

Off to her right she could hear the sound of the water rushing down the river. The sound of owls hooting within the trees came from within the woods. Everything was at peace.

A muffled cry sounded behind her, causing her to jump and turn seeing nothing but the two tents behind her. “Now I know I heard something.”

Tygra walked towards the men’s tent and rounded it. There she saw Jade and Drake. Drake’s back was turned towards her; his head slumped to the side. Jade was watching him with careful eyes and a joyous smile.

Tygra narrowed her brows taking a step towards them. “Drake? Jade? What are you doing back here?”

Jade looked to her; her smile not once wavering as she placed a hand to Drake’s shoulder. She pushed him, causing him to turn towards Tygra.

Tygra’s hands flew up to her mouth in horror. A large wound was within his chest; his lifeless eyes were staring up into the night sky. As he fell to the ground she could see a bloodied dagger within Jade’s hand. After a few moments of admiring her work, Jade threw the dagger to the ground, turning from her two closets friends and laughed.

Tygra fell to her knees as Jade’s laughter rang through her head. She closed her eyes. “This can’t be happening! She would never do such a thing! It can’t be true!”

Tygra?

A light pressure was placed to her shoulders as a vague voice called out her name.

“…Tygra…”

The voice called again, slightly louder then before. She could feel herself being shaken back and forth gently.

“Tygra!”

Tygra cried out at the sound of her name, bringing up her arms knocking the hands from her shoulders.

“Ow! Why’d you do that?”

She opened her eyes, seeing Asha standing before her. Her face was a mask of worry as she took a step towards her. “Tygra what’s wrong? You’re crying!”

Tygra wiped at her eyes, feeling the lids and skin beneath were wet with tears. I had been crying...

“Tygra what’s wrong? You’re worrying me.”

“I’m alright.” She said gradually standing to her feet, taking a long look around her surroundings, finding herself within the woods. Her gaze then fell back to Asha. “What are you doing out here?”

“I was looking for firewood.” Asha answered crossing her arms. “I couldn’t sleep so I decided to get some and then…well…” she scratched the back of her head as her face grew red. “I kind of got lost…” she lowered her hand. “That’s when I heard you yelling! Something about it not being true?”

“For how long were you gone?” Tygra questioned ignoring her last remark.

“Oh, I don’t know! I left when you went into the tent, so…maybe an hour? What is this anyway? 20 questions?”

Tygra shook her head. “Something strange is going on here, Asha.” She turned, walking in the direction which she believed the river to be in.

“Where are you going?”

“Back to camp. We have to get to the others before something happens.” She stated continuing to walk. She sighed as one thought dwelt within her mind. Please, let that have been a dream!



© 2010 AJT


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
Added on January 22, 2009
Last Updated on January 27, 2010


Author

AJT
AJT

About
About us: This is about the third one I am under...My name is Sheri and I am writing a series with my friends Bethany and Justine...each of us having our own separate sites as well. However, instead.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by AJT


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by AJT