Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

A Chapter by AJT
"

Jade's pain is revealed; the group ponders a way to help her while Rose finally awakens

"

Drake, Haru, Tygra, and Gina sat around a newly made fire within their camp. Asha stood just outside the group leaning against a nearby tree her arms crossed over her chest for warmth. The two Guardians listened intently to what the three had to say about Jade’s current dilemma. They knew something was amiss with her actions as of late, but never would have imagined she was literally loosing her mind. And this was all due to this new Dark Lord, Alester.

Tygra sighed looking to her hands folded within her lap. “It always seems trouble finds us somehow.”

“Well, the two of you are Guardians of the Elements.” Haru stated catching her gaze. “Misfortune tends to follow people of importance.”

“It’s not like we had much choice in the matter.” Asha commented bitterly, looking off into the woods. “We were more or less shoved into this.”

“Are you saying you would rather sit back and do nothing while your world was devastated by such a maniacal tyrant?”

“Of course not!” She clenched her teeth angrily as she looked to him. Her jaw then loosened as her gaze softened. “I just don’t like not being able to help my friends when they need me.”

“None of us do.” Drake agreed taking in a deep breath. “All we can do now is keep an eye out for any other signs of change in her.” He looked to Gina. “Didn’t that b*****d tell you anything else about this spell? Anything that may help us reverse it?”

Gina shook her head sadly. “I am sorry, but what I told you is all I know. He keeps things like this to himself for the most part.”

“That’s too bad.” Drake said disappointed.

“What about Katrina?” The group looked back to Asha as she pushed herself from the tree. “Won’t she be able to do anything to help us? To help her?”

“That’s right.” Tygra said her voice filled with hope. “She’s the one who gave us our powers, maybe she could-”

“She cannot.” Haru interrupted with a grim expression cross his face. “It is true that she is quite powerful in her abilities, however,” he looked to each of them his gaze stopping at Asha, “She can do nothing with the mind. Only the spirit.”

Asha allowed herself to plop down in the dirt crossing her legs, thinking hard. “There has to be some way…” The group fell into silence, not one of them knowing what to do for Jade until... “That’s it!” Asha exclaimed hitting her fist off of the palm of her other hand.

“What is?” Drake questioned. “Did you think of something?”

“Well duh.” Asha said leaning towards the group. “The answer was right in front of us the whole time. We have to kill Alester!”

Tygra shook her head holding back a fit of laughter. “We know that Asha. But we were hoping to help Jade before that happens.”

“Well obviously there is no other way.” She remarked standing to her feet “In order to help her, we have to fight him as soon as possible.”

“I can take you to the castle.” Gina said in a low voice.

“That’s sweet Gina,” Tygra began with a smile, “But I’m sure Haru can lead us the way from here.”

“Yeah,” Drake agreed looking to her. “You should really stay behind and-”

“No.” Gina interrupted her tone stern and deliberate. “I am tired of running away. I will save my parents from him, even if it is by asking for your help.”

Asha smiled clapping her hands together out before her. “Alrighty then! First thing tomorrow we are ending this once and for all!”
 

Tygra placed a hand to the cloth of the girls’ tent. She wanted to speak with Jade, but also wanted to check on Rose. I’ll just take a quick peek, just to make sure she’s alright…

With her one hand, she gently pulled back the flap covering the entrancing, peering inside the dimly lit area. Her eyes opened wide with surprise as she stepped into the tent. Jade was sitting beside Rose while Rose looked back to her. She was finally awake after hours of sleeping. Tygra was just starting to think she wouldn’t wake for a few more hours, maybe days, and there she was, holding a conversation with Jade.

“Rose!” She said cheerfully, making her way towards her. “I’m so glad you’re awake.”

Rose looked to her with a drowsy grin. "Hey-" she began quietly before Jade covered her mouth with her hand.

"Sh. You had a rough day." Jade explained removing her hand from Rose’s mouth.

Rose looked to them questionably. "What did happen anyway? I-I don‘t remember much past this morning."

Jade looked back to Tygra giving her a hesitant nod, allowing her to explain everything that had happened that day. When she was finished, Rose shook her head regretfully. "I can't believe this…"

Jade‘s gaze lowered to the ground. "I'm sorry Rose. If only I-"

"Jade this is not your fault." Rose said. "None of this is your fault. When we defeat Alester and have that spell removed from you.  You'll be able to see that for yourself when this is over."

Jade stood to her feet, turning to her back to her rather hastily. "Maybe." She said a little distractedly as she walked away from them. "We'll have to wait till then."

Tygra watched after her for a moment before looking back to Rose. She knelt down beside her. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine." Rose said slowly then looked up at her questioningly. "Tygra I have to ask you something."

"What is it?" Tygra asked as she saw Rose make an effort to sit upright. She placed her hands over Rose's shoulders. "No Rose, you should lye down."

"I'm fine." She said lightly pushing her hands away. Her breath quickened as she struggled to a sitting position. She placed a hand to her chest and looked up to Tygra. "Why didn't she kill me?" she whispered lightly. "She had the perfect chance to take one of us out. So why didn't she kill me?"

Tygra sighed, knowing she had meant Gina. She smiled. “I don‘t really think she is such a bad person Rose. I mean, her parents were taken from her and you can tell they mean everything to her."

Rose nodded briefly. Now that she thought about it a little more, she would do anything to get her parents back if something were to happen to them. She couldn’t blame Gina for doing what she did and wouldn’t. Not for this.

* * *

Tygra observed the campsite from where she knelt before the fire, placing another log into the roaring flames. The majority of the group had fallen asleep, resting up for the next day. For the most part Tygra was happy. Their group was finally back together. All she wanted now was to keep it that way.

Tygra then looked to Jade. She kept her distance away from the group after Drake told everyone what she had said to him and Haru while in the woods. Now, she just stared off into the distance, avoiding everyone in the camp.

She stood to her feet walking towards her brooding friend. Well she's not avoiding me.

Jade remained looking into the darkened forest as if searching for something that she herself didn't understand. "Go away." She said plainly not bothering to give her so much as a glance.

"Don't start." Tygra said in a demanding tone as she sat down beside her. She then slapped her hard on the arm. "Why didn't you tell me what was going on?"

Jade stared at her coldly. "I said go away!"

Tygra returned her gaze then sighed. "We've been friends for a long time. I would have kept your secret."

"Just as Drake had?" Jade asked shaking her head. "I am better off on my own."

"Would you shut up?" Tygra asked angrily. "I know you don't really feel that way Jade. You're just confused."

"Confused?" Jade asked nastily, slowly getting to her feet. "Confused is a mild way of saying it."

Tygra quickly stood and looked her in the eyes. "Then tell me what's going on. I can't understand what's happening to you unless you help me."

Jade looked over to the men‘s tent where Haru and Drake now slept. "If he would have only kept his mouth shut-"

"Then what?" Tygra asked, stepping out before her blocking her hurtful stare. "You would have been better?" She shook her head; her voice softened. "If anything Jade, we would have found out soon enough. You yourself know that a person leads onto their problems more then what they think."

Jade looked away from her, slowly rubbing the side of her head. "I just don't want to become a burden."

"Oh Jade, you're far from it." Tygra stated placing a hand on her shoulder. "Your stubbornness makes us want to fight harder."

She looked back to her a smile slowly crossing her face. "You're not lying to me are you?"

Tygra laughed gradually dropping her arm to her side. "I never lied to you yet have I?"

Jade smiled, slowly shaking her head. "I'll keep that comment to myself."

"Hey!" Tygra said in mock anger, quickly giving her a hug. "Don't worry Jade. I'm going to help you through this."

* * *

Rose laid flat on her back on her bed of leaves, her mind racing with what Asha and Tygra had said to her earlier that night. Tomorrow they were headed to Alester. Tomorrow they were ready to end this.

She yawned turning to her right. A figure caught her eye standing just inside the tent’s entrance. A weak smile crossed her lips. “You can come in, Gina.”

Gina remained where she stood for the moment before coming towards her. She knelt beside her, chewing nervously on her bottom lip. “I wanted to apologize for what I have done to you. You have been kind to me since the day I met you and yet I-”

Rose raised her hand, stopping her words. “I don’t blame you Gina.” She let her hand fall to her side. “If I was in your shoes, and they were my parents, I would have done the same.”

Gina closed her eyes, feeling tears welding up once more. “You are too kind.”

“Maybe.” Rose said rolling onto her back once more. “Gina, we will save your parents. I’m just sorry you have to wait another day.”

Gina wiped gently at her eyes as she looked to Rose. “It is worth the wait.” She said then smiled. “Now, you should rest. Those tablets will wear off by morning.” She stood to her feet, heading towards the tent’s entrance when she glanced back to her over her shoulder. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.” Rose smiled once more as she watched Gina leave the tent. She closed her eyes the fog of sleep falling over her tired mind and body. I will save your parents Gina. I promise you I will.



© 2010 AJT


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on January 22, 2009
Last Updated on January 27, 2010


Author

AJT
AJT

About
About us: This is about the third one I am under...My name is Sheri and I am writing a series with my friends Bethany and Justine...each of us having our own separate sites as well. However, instead.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by AJT


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by AJT