Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

A Chapter by AJT
"

Gina explains the cure to saving Rose but it will mean the death of another

"

Gina knelt beside Rose, dabbing her forehead with a cool rag with water from the river. After a few hours of complaining about chills, Rose’s fever finally broke, allowing her to get some sleep in peace, if only for the time being.

The rustling of leaves sounded from the woods, causing Gina to jump to her feet, placing a hand to her dagger beneath her jerkin. A relieved smile fell over her once she saw Jade followed by Drake and Haru appear from behind the trees, walking towards the campsite. Without a second more, Gina rushed towards them, eager to greet them.

Drake studied her frantic expression curiously as she stopped before the group. "What’s going on here?” He glanced over the campsite, his search stopping at Rose whom remained laying on the ground between the two tents. His mouth dropped slightly with awe. “Gina what happen to Rose?"

She gave a concerned glance back to Rose. "She's been poisoned-"

"Poisoned?" Haru questioned, stepping beside Drake. "How did that happen?"

"She said something about triggering a trap while traveling through the woods."

"How bad is it?" Drake questioned, looking to Gina.

"If we do not have her treated as soon as possible," Gina began her face solemn and fearful, "she could die.”

"This isn't good." Drake said looking back to Rose; she was beginning to toss and turn uncomfortably in her sleep. "Is there a cure?"

"There is…" she said allowing her voice trial off as if ashamed by the answer.

"Well what is it?" Drake questioned tersely. "If she is as bad as you say we have no time to spare."

Gina sighed, building up the courage to tell them of the legendary cure. “As past down from generation to generation, it is said that the only way to cure such a poison is to have her drink the shards of the Earth Stone.” Her gaze sank to the ground. “That is, if the Guardian of Earth permits it.”

Jade’s gaze was fixated on Rose’s pale form laying only a few feet from her. If she could save her, she would do anything to do so. But in order for her to remove the stone from around her neck, she would have to-

“What about Tygra?” Drake questioned, the same thought crossing his mind. “She is an excellent healer with her water element. She just might be able to-”

“This poison was designed in such a way that not even the powers of the Water Stone could remove it.” Gina sighed once more, shaking her head in dismay as she stepped towards Jade. “As a Guardian, you yourself know the limits of your power.” Her gaze switched back to Drake and Haru. “The Water and Earth stone’s only hasten the speed in which the body is able to heal itself.” She looked back to Rose. “This poison coursing through Rose’s body compromises her body’s natural healing ability.” Her gaze fell to the ground. “Her body will not be able to fight this poison.”

“Can’t we at least try?” Drake questioned desperate for another alternative. “I’m sure that if we have Tygra heal her, Rose will be just fine!”

“And while we wait for her return?” Gina’s stare pierced through him. “She may die waiting for her to come back!”

“You do know,” Haru began disrupting their dispute, “that in order for a Guardian to remove her stone, she must die?” Silence past amongst the group; each evidently understanding the situation at hand. “This isn’t some trivial matter as to her just removing the stone. That stone is linked to her life force and is not to come free until the death of the Guardian.” He looked to Gina once more. “You do know this, do you not?”

Gina closed her eyes in shame. “This is the only way…”

Drake glanced back to Jade. "No," he began, "No, there has to be another cure!"

"There is no other cure! You think that if there was I would let her lay there and suffer?"

Jade continued to watch Rose; her face blank of emotion as she nodded slightly to herself. "Alright then."

"Jade!" Drake looked to her overwhelmed by her decision of accepting this to be the only option in saving Rose’s life.

"We have to save Rose." Jade said quietly then looked to Gina. "Do what you must."

"No that's enough!" Drake said pushing Jade behind him protectively. "I won't allow it."

"So you desire the death of your friend?"

"I won't save her at the expense of Jade's life!" Drake yelled crossly. "You know nothing of Rose. She wouldn't want this!"

"Rose doesn't have a choice!" Gina looked to Jade, almost pleadingly. "If you do not do this, she will die! Only the power of Earth can save her now!"

Drake placed his hand on Jade's shoulder turning her back to the forest. "Let's get out of here, Jade." He said, leading her from the camp.

Gina clenched her fists at her sides. "Do you really want her death on your hands?" She called after them. "Could you live with yourself knowing you could have saved her but didn't?"

Jade stopped but was pushed forward by Drake. "Don't listen to her. Just keep going."

"But-"

"Just go." He repeated pushing her through the forest. When they were a little ways from the camp, Jade turned towards him rage burning within her eyes. He held up a hand preventing her vengeful words before she could speak. "Something’s not right."

She looked to him confused. "What do you mean?"

"Come on Jade. You must have noticed something's not right here."

"Of it's not right. Rose is deathly ill!" She snapped then sucked in a deep breath. "I should go back." She stated walking back towards the camp.

Drake grasped her arm firmly. "Jade, think for a moment here! You were the only Guardian with us at the moment with a healing capability. What if Tygra would have come before us? Maybe Rose would have needed the power of the Water Stone." He lowered his voice looking deep into her eyes. "This reeks of a trap."

Jade looked attentively back towards the campsite. "But what if you’re wrong and Rose really does need me?" She looked back to him. "What if she is to die?"

"We won't know until Tygra returns." He looked down towards her. "Do you sense her?"

Jade shook her head. "No, but you shouldn't worry. She can take care of herself."

"I hope you are right."

Jade smiled sweetly at him. "I am always right." Her smile faded. "I just hope you’re right. If Rose dies, I don't know what I will do."



© 2010 AJT


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on January 22, 2009
Last Updated on January 27, 2010


Author

AJT
AJT

About
About us: This is about the third one I am under...My name is Sheri and I am writing a series with my friends Bethany and Justine...each of us having our own separate sites as well. However, instead.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by AJT


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by AJT