Separation

Separation

A Chapter by Allyssianne

Once she was sure that the others were out of earshot, Allyssianne started to try to break free. Her magic was restricted by a chemical in her necklace which became active when it was in contact with her skin. She grunted, trying to twist free, but the ropes were too strong.

A twig snapped behind her, and Allyssianne froze. She could identify several pairs of feet behind her.
“Just where the girl said she would be.” A deep male voice muttered in Russian. She pretended to be slumped over, and tried desperately to think of a plan. She bit her lip, listening closely.

The men muttered some more before approaching the girl further and untying her hands. She smiled slyly, her plan finished.

The other girls trudged through the sheltered woodland.  Silence reigned between them as they thought about the betrayal.  The small party had split into two groups: there was Marny’s side, which consisted of Natalie, and there was Illianna’s side, which included Lara and Holly.  Natalie and marny trailed along behind Illianna, looking as if they’d rather be anywhere other than with her.  They walked steadily onwards, heading for the border between Russia and Ukraine.  Marny looked up at the sky to see yellowish, heavy looking clouds drifting above them, and the first few fluffy flakes drifting down.  Natalie shivered in the cold, pulling the cloak further around her. 

 

The sky darkened as the day wore on, and they soon started to scout around for a place to set up camp.  Holly came across a small wall of stones, left by an old landslide.  It created a nice wind barrier, and they soon set to work to prepare for the cold night ahead.  Illianna gathered some wood from the dead trees brought down with the rocks, starting a fire.  The five girls huddled around it, looking for warmth.  The heat was one of the few small luxuaries they could give themselves after a day of trekking through the almost freezing temperatures of Russia, and of course it thawed out their frozen toes.  No one spoke for a few moments until Natalie broke the silence.

“We should go back for her.”

“We can’t turn back for a traitor.” Illianna growled.

“Prove that she’s a traitor!” Natalie challenged.

“I saw her talking to the guards and giving them our exact locations and plans!”

“Oh, like you then?!”

“You were mistaken!”

“I don’t need glasses to know that you were the one talking to that head guy!”

 

The two girls glared at each other, looking ready to rip out the other’s throat.  You could almost see the sparks flying until Holly, Lara and Marny stepped in to stop a fight from breaking out.  Natalie looked like she was going to burst into tears while Illianna somehow managed to look murderous and calm at the same time.  The silence had a violent air to it for a few minutes before Marny spoke.

“I think we should probably split up and each go our own ways.” She said calmly. “Those who want to go back, go back and the others continue on their way.”

“That would be the best idea.” Lara said frostily.

 

Natalie stood on one end of the wall, while Illianna stood on the other.   Marny joined Natalie’s side, while Lara and Holly chose Illianna’s.  The rescue party donned their gear to go out into the cold again.  At their departing group turned their backs, walking out into the snow.

 

Marny and Natalie strode through the snow drifts, following their trail back to the clearing they had come from.  They didn’t stop that night, they weren’t tired. 



© 2009 Allyssianne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on February 10, 2009