Chapter Five – 'Called it'

Chapter Five – 'Called it'

A Chapter by CynicalJedi

Nikki clenched Brian's hand as they walked through the crowded restaurant it was obvious they were being noticed and Nikki knew it. Brian looked questioningly at Nikki and squeezed her hand giving her a quick glance of confidence and continued walking toward their table as relaxed as possible while having the feeling your been stalked by a hungry pack of wolves which in turn is rather ironic given Brian's recent.. Happenings.

 

The short walk through the restaurant seemed like it took an eternity although in reality it had taken mere seconds, Brian nervously pulled out Nikki's chair for her to sit down and then seated himself looking more nervous than ever as if he had just noticed everyone staring and he looked into Nikki's eyes as she caught his gaze and controlled it they sat motionless and almost silently for minutes without even noticing the waiter had seemingly snuck up on them quieter than Rikimaru or Ayame. The waiter obviously getting bored and more frustrated by the second trapped Brian's shoulder making him jump with shock then suddenly realising what had happened apologised and glanced through the menu paying minimal attention still entranced in Nikki's deep emerald green eyes after another 5 stressfully boring minutes for the waiter they finally ordered their meals. Brian smiled warmly as Nikki slowly laced her fingers with his over the table finally becoming comfortable their meals arrive luckily as the crowd had stopped staring...

         

After the meal the walk out of the restaurant was almost as intense as the entrance although Brian sensed something wasn't right as he glanced at his watch noticing it was almost 8pm but he also thought his arm seemed hairier than it was before and he could seem to hear a lot further, he was changing and he was totally clueless. As they continued to walk Nikki noticed Brian's hand seemed warmer and as it swung up into view clasped around hers she noticed the hair that seemed to keep growing, Nikki gasped knowing exactly what was happening and stopped walking and tugged Brian's arm in the direction of the police station;

Hun... Look at your hand, it wasn't that hairy before.” Nikki managed to whisper through shock. Brian looked into her eyes trying to give her the same re-assuring look he had before but all she noticed where his pupils become more dilated by the second.

You really need to get to the police station” Nikki worriedly said physically pulling Brian along by his arm. Brian refrained from any attempt to argue and caught up to Nikki quickly obviously noticing what she had slightly later than he should have.

 

Rushing past people in the street seeming a lot ruder than they were Nikki and Brian reach the police station and burst through the door with more energy than if they were reporting a bank robbery.

Hi, I was told there would be a cell available for me tonight due to... An unforeseen circumstance, my name is Brian, Brian Beckett.”

Ah hello Brian...” came a weak sounding mumble from behind the counter, slowly the chair spun around as if from a scene in some movie where the bad guy would be stroking some kind of animal as they were revealed but no Brian was met by the friendly face of Angie the officer that arrived at his house earlier in the day.

Angie? You sound terrible are you ok?” Brian instantly moved the asking questions which due to the circumstances of Angie being a cop was quite ironic. “I'm fine I just have a sore throat is all, losing my voice or something I assume. Anyway more to the point are you okay? I'm guessing you're here for the same reason we have Dave in a cell tonight as well...”

 

Nikki looked puzzled flicking quickly through the day’s events trying to remember a Dave when she suddenly looked uncomfortable and pale. She slowly teetered to one side luckily Brian noticed and quickly jumped behind her to catch her just as she began to fall, Angie hopped over the counter to help while another officer got a chair to sit Nikki on. Angie stayed with Nikki while the other officer showed Brian to the cell, which coincidently was next to Dave's cell. As Brian proceeded forwards he glanced at Dave who was curled up in a corner of the cell looking awful compared to their previous meeting. Nervously as ever Brian stepped into the cell taking second and even third looks at the bars that separated him from the rest of humanity. He imagined this was what circus animals felt like, caged up and alone. Little did he know he himself would soon be facing this same feeling.

 

Nikki was still with Angie in the lobby slowly regaining colour, “Can I get you anything Nikki, A drink of water or something?”

Nikki looked around worried “No thanks I'll be okay, can I see Brian for one last time tonight?”

Of course you can he's just around here.” Angie replied happily leading Nikki toward Brian's cell. “Here you go, try not to be too long though”

 

Both Nikki and Brian watched as Angie walked away. “Hun, do you wanna stay at my house tonight instead of yours?” Brian asked Nikki casually as if nothing was happening.

Yeah, please.” Nikki mumbled forcing a smile. Brian could tell she was doing her best not to cry, “Please, just do your best not to worry. I'll be fine I promise.” he handed Nikki his keys and some money to get a taxi. As Nikki turned to walk away Brian whispered “Hey, Nikki...” as she turned to meet his gaze he continued to say “I love you” Nikki blushed speechless for a moment until she gathered the breath to reply with a real smile on her face “I love you too.. See you tomorrow!” Nikki began to walk toward the exit until her path was blocked by Angie, Brian heard murmuring from down the hall but could only make out the words “You two are lucky” afterwards the sound of footsteps echoed down the hall as Angie moved to let Nikki past. Brian tried to relax telling himself everything would be fine but as much as he tried he couldn’t believe it and he hated that, the echo of footsteps stopped but Angie seemingly silently appeared in front of Brian's cell as if the footsteps weren't hers. “You've got yourself a nice girl haven't you” she said almost teasing Brian about him being in the cell.

You're telling me, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world... Apart from the whole reason I'm in this stupid cell but I promised Nikki if I felt anything I would come here and I did, so I have.” Angie smiled cautiously

You must trust her lot to let her stay over at your house while you aren't there, I'm not trying to intrude but personally I would find it a bit risky.”

Brian looked at Angie with a look of slight insult “If I had only met her tonight then yeah I would find it risky and wouldn't have offered. But I've known her for longer than it seems, even to me. When I'm around her an hour is like a minute I feel I've known her forever.”

 

Angie simply looked speechless and walked away from Brian slowly as if she had no way of replying to what he had said. Although Brian's life was about to take a major turn and he had no idea...



© 2013 CynicalJedi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on July 5, 2013
Last Updated on July 5, 2013


Author

CynicalJedi
CynicalJedi

United Kingdom



About
Nooby writer from the north of England. Writing stories, sipping tea and eating crumpets! Oh I like Star Wars too :) more..

Writing