Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Rebecca

Chapter 7

A week later. 

Miss Fredrick pulled her dirty rusty car into the tightest parking space available, "Here we are. Park View, Tear Mont, safe and sound," She announced enthusiastically.

She lifted the hand-break with a squeak and out of the smoggy window, I scrutinized my new abode. A small, squashed red bricked town house and to my misery a front overgrown garden, filled with litter.

I tapped my foot impatiently, and it shook my car seat.

I wondered what had I let myself in for.

Miss Fredrick softly asked, "How are you feeling, dear? You made a lot of cringy faces through the traffic and you were very jumpy Luna."

She became squeamish, as she checked my unnecessary bandage, on my head, for blood.

I thought: Well of course I made faces, I was in the worst place on Earth, Built up city! To top it all off, I was here at the worse time of year, summer.

The sticky hot emission air, the stink of the sewage system, and it all sunk into my new fresh skin. Not to forget the trashy pavements, and rotten food that glued to ones shoes.

The endless waste, the floaty dreadful plastic bags that could tangle a poor bird any minute, or worse left over plastic food wrapping that a wild mammal could try chew, then choke and die from consumption.

I tried to fake a smile.

"I am not ungrateful Miss Fredrick, I just think before I may have lived a little outside of the city, you know," I faced the window and imagined Venus, "Greener, less traffic. But I am sure I will learn to love it here," I lied.

"It's okay to be nervous dear, you can always express yourself truthfully with me," She placed her hand on my knee, "The whole experience must be very stressful, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like not remembering who you are," She sympathized.

"Thank you Miss Fredrick, that is ever so kind of you," I acted grateful.

"Well, Luna if you look just opposite the house we are fortunate to have a beautiful park. I will take you there tomorrow for a walk," She enthused.

I flicked my eyes across the road, tall dark evergreen trees radiated a pink aura of light, ready to welcome you by the entrance way. I felt a little better that I was not completely surrounded by fumes and buildings.

I then felt guilty, I quickly realised I was being very ungrateful towards this women's kindness. I instantly snapped out of the negativity and promised myself to make the most out of the situation, ungratefulness did not give me the useful energy that I needed to function as an angel.

She touched my bandage again, "Those wounds have healed nicely, let's remove your bandage," She tore it off and I felt, pure, freedom.

"Now are you ready to go inside? And please call me, Anna," She asked.

Anna smiled and tapped my knee.

"Yes, I am all set."

I rubbed my hands together in excitement, and I thought this could be my new trade mark.

Anna opened the stiff rusty car door, and shuffled her plump bottom out of her seat. I giggled, why I found big backsides so hilarious, I cannot tell you.

I mirrored her and opened my door carefully, as I laughed in my head about the previous encounter I had with a door.

An unkempt, moldy, broken concrete pathway snaked to the front of the brick house. I did my best to ground my feet in my new pink pumps, as I carelessly skipped along.

Even though they were a very thoughtful, generous gift from Anna, I wished I could have been barefoot. I wanted to feel the Earth tickle my toes again.

"Crack!"

"Ouch," I fell to the ground, "My anklet, ouch!" I cried.

"Oh Luna are you ok dear? Did you hurt your ankle? I've been meaning to report this damn path to the council," She spat.

She helped me onto my feet and dusted the dirt off my new flowery dress, "Less of the skipping Luna, let yourself recover, or you will end up back in hospital," She warned.

I nodded in agreement and carefully stepped over the cracks on the path. I thought: I will heal that anklet of mine, later.

The pastel green wooden door hung golden numerals, '111'. I giggled to myself, as repetitive numbers were a sign to humans that angels were nearby.

However, this time I knew the repeated numbers were a sign from Michael, to let me know I was on the right path and instantly I was reassured, despite my surroundings.

I reached the doorstep, and to my delight a pretty vine, with gorgeous yellow and red roses, run up the front wall of the house. Anna reached into her pocket for her key, I however reached to touch the roses and "Ouch."

I pricked my finger on a thorn.

"How can something look so beautiful, yet act so ugly?" I said horrified, as I held my finger.

Anna laughed at me.

"Yes, strange that isn't it? Is your finger ok?" She looked down at my finger, "Day one and already you've hurt yourself twice, Oh Luna, what are we to do with you?"

"It is just fine, no blood and I thank heaven, I have seen enough blood to last me a whole human life time," I replied and realised that I might have sounded a little odd.

She laughed at me again and entered the key into the door.

I thought: If I just remove some of the litter, this house would be an acceptable standard of living. I reached down and picked up a shard of red plastic covered in mud.

"Luna please don't touch rubbish you might catch germs, that's why I left it," She snapped.

"Catch germs? That is awfully strange. But it bothers the grass, it must have some sunlight, just like humans." I almost moaned.

"Ok Luna, if it bothers you that much, we can get some gloves and remove it safely together, deal? But for now let's go inside."

The noisy busy road made me feel unsafe, the pollution made my new fresh skin itch, I was drained and my aura felt so very low. So I was desperate to clean, I needed something to blossom my soul.

After all the commotion, Anna finally pushed the door open.

"Oh Luna, I forgot to mention something, I have-" But before she could finish her sentence something hairy and brown flew towards the door.

"Woof, Woof," It barked.

Suddenly it jumped on top of me and knocked me onto the ground.

"Are you okay Luna?" She helped me onto my feet, "I have never seen Louis jump on anyone like that before!" Anna exclaimed.

She held her belly in laughter.

My pale face, and my new flowery dress was covered in gooey slobber and patchy dog hair. The reddish upside down heart shape faced dog, wagged his tiny tail and bony bum in joy.

"I adore animals, in fact he is the loveliest thing I ever did see, which type of species is he?" I intrigued, whilst I admired him.

"Species?" She gave me an odd look, "Do you not mean breed Luna? A boxer dog."

Anna heavy handedly forced the door shut.

I wiped my face clear.

The boxer dog Louis, had a delicate pattern of silky white fur around his head and mouth, like he was bred purposefully for a show. I gazed deeply into his big black mysterious eyes, which contrasted with his reddish fur.

His irises merged with his dilated pupils when I said with excitement to Louis, "Nice to meet you and you are lovely."

To my surprise Louis winked at me.

Then I translated many barks into, "Woof, hello Luna, Michael told me you were coming and your secret is safe with me. I am here to help anyway I can, woof."

I was a little taken back, but Michael would always have another to watch over me. Yes Angels knew what animals said and felt, humans were not the only ones to need our help.

I was so glad I had followed the right path, "Thank you Louis, and I know my secret is safe, as dogs do not speak human ha-ha!" I whispered, and winked a big one back.

"Luna play with me please?" Louis barked.

He span around and cutely chased his short tail.

(As you should know by now, Luna, always wants to play!)

I went down on the floor on all four of my limbs and pretended to play fight with him. I was rolling around on the floor and he licked me again.

Anna looked at me in utter shock, "ahem, ahem," She cleared her throat.

We paused, like two guilty naughty children.

We looked up at her, ready to receive punishment.

Slightly embarrassed, I fixed my dress and stood up and behaved. Then Anna burst into laughter, "Hahahahahaha! What was that?"

"Ummm, Louis wanted to play so-" I said slightly embarrassed, then looked down to the floor.

"Oh I am not telling you off Luna, it was just amazing to witness that little scene. It was like you were telepathically communicating with each other or something."

I looked down to Louis, and patted his soft red head.

"Ha, maybe in my previous life I trained dogs," I said and shrugged my shoulders.

"Well take your shoes off and take a look around the rest of the house, no point standing in the doorway, you will catch a chill."

"What is this catch a chill? You speak of," I asked, as I kicked my shoes off in excitement.

My feet could breathe finally free. She went on a lot about catching things, I did not see anything to catch. I mean we were not taking part in a baseball tournament.

"You are very inquisitive Luna, but that's not a surprise with your amnesia," Anna explained.

She wiped sweat off her forehead.

She placed her light brown hair behind her shoulders, and fanned her face with her hand.

"What I mean is, I don't want you to get unwell and cold in the skin my dear, when you're not fully better yet."

I shook my head.

I know she cared, but this woman was not thinking clearly, it was summer outside.

She pointed her nose in the air, and plodded her round figure down the hall way. I followed, and Louis followed me.

Dirt marks were splattered along the walls which made me heave. I wondered what guilty party had left a mess and didn't clean up after themselves. The wooden floor had a slide to it, so naturally I pretended to skate on ice.

"We must also talk about getting you some new clothes, and female bits and bobs, oh I am assuming you remember about the birds and the bees," She mumbled as if she was embarrassed.

I scanned her mind.

She imagined naked humans and I nearly slipped in shock.

I quickly gained balance again.

I thought: Teach me to play when I should be working.

As we entered the confided kitchen, it showed signs of a single lower class, broke woman. Blue cracked titles held dust and old splattered food stains. Kitchen grease held falling apart cupboards together, on cream stained peeling away wall paper, like a cheap nasty builder's café.

"Sorry birds and the bees?" I raised my eyebrow, "Is that an idiom to do with nature?"

"Oh Luna! For a well-developed young woman I think eventually you will remember about periods and sex," She raised her head patronizingly and her green eyes stared at my breasts.

"Oh indeed, I remember all of those things," I faked a smile, "Ha-ha, strangely enough," I nervously replied, as I tried not to look clueless.

I thought: But angels do not have sex! Did I really have to go through well you know, a period. Let's face facts here people, I was not here to get pregnant. Michael give me a break, I have just been through a car crash of a week, literally.

My heart sank with sympathy when I saw cardboard pieces had filled the crumbly holes in the walls. I wanted to give something back to this kind hearted soul, the one thing every human deserved, a shelter.

She had a lot of flowered ornaments and photos of her and Louis on the walls. I observed her in her home, I loved how happy and comfortable she was, even if it was crumbling away.

Then sunlight trickled through the cardboard holes, and I soon realised appreciation was what kept this dump she called her home together.

Anna hung her keys on a dodgy hook, and went towards a crooked shelf and pulled down a couple of cook books. She scrunched her nose and pressed her lips together as she opened one book.

Then Anna began to tap her foot on the cream plastic floor, as she thought hard about something.

She slowly turned the pages then paused.

She stroked her face and then looked at me, "Luna, I am going to make us some dinner, would you be ok with fish pie?" She asked.

My mouth dropped open in horror.

EAT FISH! EAT AN ANIMAL?!

I could never make another living species deliberately suffer! Murder for food? I loved Planet Earth and all its creatures from the ocean floor to the mountain tops. I was their mother that would be like eating one of my children.

Anna's eyes softened as she knew she had offended me.

"What's wrong my dear, don't you like fish?" She questioned.

I realised she did not understand that species should not eat each other. I was not here to create any bad karma either, god only knows where that would put me, maybe even reincarnated in hell.

"Anna I am ever so sorry, but I will not eat animals, they are my friends," I said, as tears appeared in my eyes.

She smiled and her light yellow aura seemed to sparkle in agreement.

"Well it's not the strangest request I ever had, from a foster child, I am sure we will manage, I'm quite a good cook," She reassured.

She winked at me.

SNAP!

With both hands she shut the book.

"I'm going to invent a vegan soup instead."

She peered at me for approval.

"That would be ever so lovely, thank you," I acted grateful.

I smiled cheekily then wiped my eyes.

My love was growing for Anna, I really appreciated how open she was to new things.

She took another cook book and opened to a page.

I moved closer to her, her smell made my nose tingle with what I can only describe as the smell of a sugar coated heaven. I took a good whiff, and stored it in my memories. I did not ever want to forget her kindness and everything that made her up.

I watched her turn the pages of the cook book.

She smiled at the corner of her mouth and touched my arm, "Let me read this recipe and begin cooking my dear. I'm not a fan of being watched," She explained.

"Anna, may I explore the wonders of your abode?" I politely asked.

"Go for it, dear."

She shook her head and silently laughed at my odd language.

I galloped down the narrow hallway and Louis followed behind me as he panted heavy over the summer heat, his tiny tall wagged like a fan, heaven knew he needed a cool down.

I came across a varnished wooden door, I slid my sweaty palm and released the intriguing golden handle. The door opened and I peered into the room like a curious child.

A pattern of green birds emerged, along with some silver French phrases. I entered, the room was minimal, simple and open and airy. A beige cotton sofa presented itself and looked cozier than a field of cotton.

A small round black table held a basic telephone, and some half burned candles. A black flat TV was placed in the corner, which I hoped, I never ever would watch, as I knew they were pretty addictive.

Louis sniffed the air, then clicked his long nails across the wooden floor as he darted back towards the kitchen. I guess he was hungry.

On closer inspection I noticed the wooden floor had some minor dents and was coming up at the edges. I lifted my long flowery dress, and hoped that I would not snag myself on a splinter.

I did not think Anna's house was this way because of an unmaterialistic approach to life, but because she had little money to freshen the place.

I looked behind me with a mischievous look on my face.

I checked I was alone and I dived on the sofa.

I snuggled for a bit, it felt like I was now a seed deeply planted and had sunk into soil.

I eyed a photo of a man and his white hair looked as if he had been electrocuted.

I hopped out of the sofa to investigate.

I thought: Was this Anna's husband?

"I see you found my love," Anna startled me.

She took the photo from my hands.

"Was this your husband?"

"No, no, ha-ha," She laughed. She placed her hand on her chest, "I mean physics, this is Albert Einstein I guess you could say he is the founder of physics, you know like with Christ with Christianity."

I thought to myself: Well hardly, did she not know that the universe created physics?

"Oh I see, so he is a man of the sciences?" I amused her.

"Girl seriously, Albert Einstein doesn't even jog your memory?" She raised her eyebrow and swung her light brown hair around her shoulders.

"No."

"He was not just a profound scientist but he pondered and experimented with the impossible," she explained.

I looked at her curious and eager to learn more.

I wondered: What made this woman tick? Why was physics so important to her? Plus I knew nothing was impossible, that Earths laws were not bound universally.

"He taught us that time and space are tied, why the speed of light can never be reached with acceleration and that those impossible dreams will always remain science-fiction."

She stared at the wall as if she was day dreaming.

But I knew it was not true, I travelled here through a wormhole for goodness sake.

"Do you really believe that narrow minded statement, one gentleman, figured out all possibilities?" I asked smugly.

"Never would have guessed, you are the philosophical type," She rolled her eyes and held her head high, "Well, there was one mystery, stranger than gravity, Quantum En-"

"Beeeeep beep," a sound alerted her ears.

It came from the kitchen.

"Well that's enough of that talk, dinner is ready."

She placed the photo down.

I whispered, "So much for this gentleman, pondering the impossible, he gave up too quickly if you ask me."

Anna brought food to the round chunky table, and a couple of water stained spoons and she pulled out a chair and I mirrored her.

Anna closed her eyes and got ready to say something, "Thank you Christ for the food we are about to receive and for my new guest Luna, amen," She gave grace.

"That was lovely Anna, Bravo, ummm I mean, yes thank you god," I uttered.

"Well at the hospital you mentioned you went to church, didn't you?"

"Maybe I cannot recall," I lied.

Anna scooped her soup and popped the spoon into her mouth.

I stared a little too long at her, as she closed her eyes and savored the flavours on her tongue.

Anna watched me with curiosity, she waited for me to eat.

I felt uneasy so I blurted, "I have never had soup before."

I quickly realised what I had said, but I was done trying to act like a normal functioning member of society, I felt out of place and missed home.

"I am sure you've had soup before, you probably just can't remember, glad -"

"Ouch!" I cried as I interrupted her.

I frowned.

I took the spoon out of my mouth and dashed onto the table.

"Blow the soup, to cool it down, or you will burn your tongue," She advised.

I held my tongue out of my mouth and tried to fan it, I thought it would make it cool down.

"But I think it's a bit too late for that, ha-ha," She giggled.

As I carried on using my hand as a fan, dribble dropped onto the table.

"Luna, look you have dribbled on the table. That's gross, you're not a baby, don't fan your mouth at the dinner table again, its bad manners," She complained.

So I stopped and Anna rolled her eyes as she slid her chair across the kitchen floor.

She charged over to the kitchen sink and picked up a kitchen cloth.

"Here wipe it up," She handed me the cloth, "Believe me I sympathise with your condition, but you are a young woman, and you must behave with some sophistication. I've known five years olds with more manners," She bluntly explained.

I rolled my eyes.

I really had no previous thought about being classy, I did not have the slightest idea soup was hot enough to burn my tongue. I was bound to be sensitive, technically I was only born a few weeks ago.

I was dealt an unfair card, I did not get the same privilege as a baby, skip me right to the hot stuff. At least the hospital served me cold fruit and bread.

I blew softly onto the spoon, and as the soup entered my mouth the experience was unbelievably, scrumptious.

Salt and creamy flavours melted away on my tongue, and I felt overjoyed with gratitude. Who cast a spell on me? How could I possible deserve to have such an experience?

She attempted an apology, "You know, you're quite lucky, imagine trying everything for the first time again. It must be rather exciting for you," She enthused.

It felt like she had read my mind, she probably just sensed my vibration.

"More frustrating, I have managed to make a lot of mistakes," I replied.

Then I frowned, as if I wanted her approval.

Anna continued to eat, I wondered: Why did she not marry? Is she not lonely? As I always spoke my mind, "Anna, why have you no offspring of your own? Why do you foster?"

I took another mouthful.

"Don't hold back Luna!" She leaned back in her chair in utter shock, "Well unfortunately I can't have children. And as for fostering I can still be a parent in some ways. I mean it sure as hell isn't for the money, look around rubble and dust." She cursed a little angry.

Anna switched to different emotions very quickly, I wondered why she was so defensive. I wonder if it's something to do with those female hormones, I hear women go on about.

"Do you get lonely without a gentleman to engage with? I know you have Louis, but of the same species, another human," I questioned further.

"HAAHAHHA, oh Luna, you sound as if you just stepped out of a spaceship!" She cried.

A tear rolled down her face.

She wiped it away with a big smile.

At least I made this women laugh, I mean the group of no thrills never laughed at any of my jokes.

As she finished another mouthful she looked at me with admiration.

"Yes sometimes Luna. Truthfully no man has accepted my fostering. My first husband left me because I could not get pregnant," She sadly explained, and frowned.

Her aura appeared dark, as if she was traumatized by reminiscing on the sad event.

"I am ever so sorry, I cannot help myself, the words just leave my mouth, well- I love you," I blurted.

I scraped my chair across the floor, bounced from it and ran round to Anna.

I kissed her cheek, like a daughter kissed a mother.

I was so grateful to have met her, and for her to guide me on my quest.

She smiled wide up at me, "I never thought you would take to me, and this quickly," She softly spoke.

She hugged me back.



© 2018 Rebecca


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on December 18, 2018
Last Updated on December 18, 2018
Tags: sciencefiction, teen, romance, youngadult, angel, fantasy, scifi


Author

Rebecca
Rebecca

Belfast, United Kingdom



About
Hi everyone! I am currently active on instagram and wattpad at @authorrabishop I love writing, the environment, nature and animals. My current book series 'the girl from our moon' is about an an.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Rebecca