Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Rebecca

Chapter 13

The dull thick nimbostratus clouds opened their pores and heavy polluted rain fell from the grey. I itched as the almost toxic downpour had an epidemic on my skin. My pink wellingtons went, "Splish splash," as I skipped across the pavement.

"Swooshhhh," the sound of water escaped onto the roads, "gurgle, gurgle," I heard street sewers struggle to drain the rain. I overheard on the news this morning that houses in northern England were flooded by 6 inches of rain.

I thought: Was spring arriving before winter?

I blew my own breath towards my head to cool myself, as I reminisced about how I used to float above to observe London on a rainy day. I was so sensitive then, to nature's misery and so distraught that humans were slowly destroying the planet.

But now in my humanoid form, my perspective had changed somewhat on the weather. I was not instantly depressed anymore to the surroundings, it was not because I forgot about pollution, or climate change. But because I was going to plan something with Arch Angel Michael, when I got back to Venus, I owed it to the trees.

The trees were Earth's life source and mine, for a short while. They were resilient, strong and still managed to thrive and grow their red and orange leaves. That sort of perseverance deserved to be rewarded.

I imagined using my powers to make the trees break from their roots and march down the streets. I would give them faces and voices to express themselves so they could warn the humans, that the planet will be destroyed if they continued to disrespectfully cut them down and poison the air.

But I could not do that, I would be stripped of my powers, and in a flash of a light, my quest would be over. So I had to be patient, because without my help, their leaves would rot brown and their soil would become radioactive. But for now, I needed to remain positive. 

I twirled my umbrella around in the air, and the intense sound of the rain as it hit the ground, gave me a beat to dance to. I tapped my loose feet and entertained the trees.

As I carried on to college, I day dreamed about Professor Starling and what I would bring up in topic for the day. Starling would hold after - college sessions called 'debate class.' He was planning on selecting a few, which attended these extra classes, to bring to his committee. Of course I wanted, no I needed to be go.

As I arrived, gossipy girls in groups seemed to stare at me, I overheard two whisper amongst themselves, "look at her, she's as gorgeous as a model. Do you think the rumors are true Nicole?" Laura whispered.

"Laura really?" she looked me up and down, "What would a man nearly 30 want to do with a 17 year old girl?" she replied loudly.

"But, she looks about 25," Laura added.

Jealousy filled their brown auras, as they watched me causally stroll past.

During today's class Professor Starling, seemed a little flustered, almost nervous. Half term was approaching and I wondered if he had deadlines to make.

The over tired students rubbed their black baggy eyes, and constantly yawned, as they desperately struggled to keep up with all the work. Most of them chose late nights, talking on social media, about pointless, unproductive things, than rather be educated by clearly a genius.

I would often get in arguments with classmates about topics because they did not understand the bigger picture. It was shameful that clothes and cosmetics outweigh compassion and kindness.

Starling was marking test papers from our previous lessons, as the class studied their textbooks. The work was simple to me, I was rather more interested in this wonderful intriguing human, sat in front of me.

With no hesitation, I got up from my seat and headed over to Starlings desk with my paperwork, I stood silently beside him and then he looked up at me.

"Luna, can I help you?" he bluntly asked.

"Professor, would you please check over my work?" I was polite.

"Certainly, but next time all you have to do is raise your hand and I will come to you," he explained.

I frowned, "Sorry, Professor."

"No need to apologise."

He checked over my paperwork, desperately tried to concentrate but could not help take a glance at me every now and then. I read his true intimate thoughts, "she smells like a bed of flowers" he thought as he loosened the back of his neck, "Her slivery blonde perfectly straight hair, if I could be the one to mess it up," he continued as he appeared, to study my work further.

I was about to place my hand onto his, when suddenly Starling jolted.

Music blasted from the back of the classroom, "Young teacher, the subject, Of schoolgirl fantasy, She wants him so badly, Knows what she wants to be, Inside her there's longing, This girl's an open page, Book marking - she's so close now, This girl is half his age Don't stand, don't stand so close to me."

We looked up to investigate where the sound was coming from.

I jumped and my heart skipped.

I took a few steps backs unconsciously.

I had almost touched him in front of the whole classroom.

What was I thinking?

"Who is playing that music in my classroom!" he shouted.

The embarrassment in his voice was clear, he thought a student was trying to insinuate more than a teacher student relationship was going on between him and I.

Then the music stopped.

"So sorry Sir, it was, my ringtone, I swear, I've turned it off," A scared, hesitant voice answered.

"No worries, it's okay Luke, thank you," He replied calmer.

The song was just mere coincidence in a moment we were sharing. I took it as a sign to get on with the task as soon as possible before anyone grew suspicious. I could not fail, not when I was so close.

Starling realised he had over reacted, he looked to the floor in complete humiliation.

I gulped with nervousness.

Was this it? My quest over?

Starling handed back my papers, "sit down please Luna, your work is fine," He did not dare to look directly at my face, ashamed over his outburst, he wondered what I thought of him now.

Then the bell rang for end of lesson.

Professor Starling sighed with relief.


***

College had ended, and it was almost time for debate class. I wanted to ask Professor when it finished, if I could go to the committee with him, so I could finally tell him what I came to Earth for.

On my way, I diverted shortly to buy Professor a 'Tall soya wet latte' from the canteen. (Yes he was so precise with his coffee) I thought it may cheer him up a little, after today's silly incident. I think the whole matter had been blown out of proportion, he had nothing to be ashamed of.

I filled my reusable steel flask with water and headed to his classroom. I balanced the two very carefully, I did not want to have an accident in front of Professor. The class had already chosen my new nickname, "margarine digits."

Well actually Katy had given it to me, but it did not bother me, I knew I was sometimes clumsy. If she had the same amount of energy and life running around in her vessel as I, she would not be as graceful either. But I did not want to let her bother me, I had more important things to worry about.

As I turned the corner Katy appeared with a friend, I paled as if I had seen a ghost. "Speak of the devil," I whispered. (And yes that is one idiom I had not lost in translation)

Katy and her friend stormed towards me, like lions ready to kill.

Katy poked my arm, "What have you got, Lu-na?" she provoked.

I thought: Why now? Just when I have a hot beverage.

I paced forward but she followed behind in attempt to taunt me.

"Oi, teacher's pet, do you think bringing professor his afternoon coffee is going to make him fancy you? Who would like a freak like you!" she exclaimed.

She stopped a few paces behind me.

Had I not terrified her with my telepathic communication? Did she forget? Or did she think she just imagined the whole incident?

I had enough of her horrible voice and stupid comments. I looked around and saw no teachers. I placed my flask and coffee on the floor.

I charged towards her.

I did the unthinkable. I thought of all the hate I had experienced on Venus over the lightyears, from the group of no-thrills.

I grabbed Katy's t-shirt.

Her friend paced away and left us alone.

I put my face close to hers, "Listen very closely Katy. This is the first and last time I am going to warn you. If you talk to me or touch me again I am going to drag you out of college by your wiry hair," I almost growled.

I dyed my eyes red, "Do you understand?" I snapped.

She gulped and froze.

I fixed her t-shirt as if the incident had not happened.

She rolled her shoulders, "Yea, I got you Luna, don't be so sensitive, it was a joke," She lowered her voice, to sound unintimidated.

She paced away to find her friend.

I picked up Professors coffee and my flask and let out a long sigh. I thought: she is very lucky I did not hurt her. Unlike demons, she can learn to be nice.

I knocked on the classroom door with my elbow, probably not the smartest move for me, margarine digits.

Then the door opened, "Luna! You don't have to knock you practically live in my classroom," Starling cried, and his pupils widened happy.

"Oh it's good to see you." He enthused.

"I brought you a tall �" soya - wet - latte. Ha-" I read, as if I was reading off a menu and laughed.

"Aww, that is so kind of you, thank you," He closed the door, "I know you were just making fun of how particular I am," he scolded me, as he took it from me.

He playful rolled his eyes at me.

I felt much safer, hot beverages made me nervous.

I looked towards the door, "Where is everyone?" I asked.

He itched his head uncomfortably, "You are the only student that turned up today, it may have something to do with all my shouting earlier," he sulked then sighed.

I sipped my water as I felt a little awkward.

"Luna listen," he stood by his seat and I smoothly sat upon one of the tables, "I just wanted to apologise for my outbreak early today, I hope I didn't frighten you."

I shook my head, "No, no, actually, I felt for you. The ringtone had chosen perfect timing �"ha," I empathized.

I awkwardly laughed, "but I am fine, nothing is inappropriate here, you are my friend, I assure you no one thinks ill of you," I reassured him and danced around the obvious lust he had for me.

Starling sunk into his chair and leant his arm on the back of it.

I smiled at him and he reciprocated.

"I guess we should cancel debate class, what do you think Luna? Ha! Unless you want to get argumentative with your, Professor? But please go easy on me," he joked.

"Yes, Professor. I know I am assertive, but I thought you liked that about me?" I flirted.

He took a mouthful of his coffee.

"How was your day then? Learn anything new brain box?" Starling teased.

Then he winked at me.

"With you as my teacher always," I exaggerated a wink back, "Well in English we are about to read one of Shakespeare's plays," I said enthusiastically.

"Shakespeare, I am a fan. Well his work - it can be tragic and a little bit romantic," he informed.

He tapped his mouth, like he had no idea what had just escaped it.

"You did not need to call me a brain box, I mean learning is always apparent in everything we do. And why am I the subject of this class today?"

I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I am very sorry mam, please do forgive thee," He said politely.

He climbed out of his seat and did a really old fashioned bow, to make me laugh.

"Ha-ha, hilarious, Professor. Was that a Shakespeare reference?" I asked.

He nodded and took a big gulp of his coffee.

"Oh Luna, you make me do the strangest things, I feel so young and full of life!" he exclaimed.

He held his stomach in laughter.

I appreciatively indulged, as evidence of genuine happiness appeared in the form of permanently marked lines around his eyes and mouth, just like rings from the inside of a tree.

I witnessed his aura go from blue, to yellow to pink and each time it shined brighter than before. His emotions were heightened around me as if I was healing every inch of his soul, just by being in his company. But I guess that is what angels were known for.

He sat down again and I read his mind and he thought, "I feel like a teenager, she has awoke my inner child."

I was as innocent as a child, as care free as a child, his feelings mirrored mine.

"I remember what we spoke of yesterday, Professor."

"Oh you remember! We must call your doctor," he teased.

I stood onto my feet, and tread carefully towards his desk.

I poked his arm, "Humorous, Starling," the words slowly left my mouth.

Starling narrowed his eyebrows, focused his deep lost eyes upon his arm, as if he had been touched by an angel.

I uttered, "So yesterday, you said the good in people is slowly fading and their greed is gradually growing," I saddened.

I sighed.

"Yes it is sad Luna, I mean when I talk to the students in the classroom some of them have no idea about how the country's moneys made and where it's spent. All they seem to care more about is catching a quick bit of fame, than how many trees are being replaced with another factory."

The he sighed.

Then I gave the subject more momentum, "Probably to build more technology that will go out of fashion a year later, that has no benefit to the environment," I added.

He shook his head.

I understood his frustrations as they were similar to mine. Then I became stupidly confident and I slowly placed my hand onto his desk.

He gulped, "Then there is you, Luna. You bring hope to this cloudy future we call a generation. You don't lack confidence do you?" He softly charmed.

He lightly smiled as he gazed upon my hand. What was I thinking standing this close? I was approaching dangerous grounds, one that would snatch me up, steal me away and burn me in hell.

Professor Starling, nervously reached for my hand, and I let him hold it.

I thought: Why did I role play with this charming gentleman's feelings? Because I needed him for my title, because I was only temporary, and the lust would not last long enough for him to act upon it? Or was it something more?

My mind thought back to the protest, how strong and overly protective he was. I dived deeper into him through his dark brown eyes, as I imagined him twirl his long finger around my loose blonde hair.

I longed to touch him, I wanted him to embrace me with his strong muscles, I for the first time, appreciated flesh and bone, what had overcome me?

I became semi - courageous, as I carefully but barely, traced my fingertips along his thick arm, I read his mind, "There is more chemistry here, than the periodic table."

"KNOCK, KNOCK!"

We both immediately turned to the door.

"Come innn-," Starling rushed.

I swiftly moved away.

"Professor Starling I need to speak with you - regarding one of your students," A harsh ladies voice entered.

Her pale twig like body approached us, and the dark circles around her eyes matched her zombie stare. Her non-pupil eyes traced me, as she knew something was going on behind the closed door. I smiled clueless, I pretended her suspicions were wrong.

"Young Lady, would you wait outside," She nastily croaked.

I searched her stare for a soul, even a tiny dim light, but I failed. She was empty or at least closed, towards me. But what could I have done?

"Sure," I was calm and headed to the door.

She closed the door and I eavesdropped from the other side.

"Professor, you know you are a respected member of the facility and held in high regard on your committee," she said softly.

"Thank you, but I thought you said, this was to do with one of my students, Miss Owl."

"I wouldn't want anyone to damage your reputation," she added.

"You have my attention Elisabeth, so please get to your point." He spoke bluntly.

"The facility and I think you are spending too much time with Luna, it is causing concern with some of your students here at Saintly," she revealed.

I heard Starling's chair legs scrape across the floor, "What are you insinuating?" he spat.

"I am not accusing you of anything, a student has told me Luna attacked her. It seems to me she is trying to take authority into her own hands." She expressed angrily.

"Elisabeth, Luna is an excellent student she would never have got herself into any deliberate trouble, who is the student?"

"One of Katy Goldlock's friends."

"Oh Miss Goldlock, miss doesn't pay attention, she is the worse student to have ever been approved into Saintly!" he snapped his Norwegian accent.

"Listen to me Paul, from an old friend to another, her disturbing attitude may be the result of all this private tutoring," she softened her voice.

"Are you telling me you're jealous Elisabeth, our ship sailed a long time ago!" He shouted.

"NO PAUL, how dare you! She is your student think about what you are doing, you could damage your career over this," she argued.

"Luna doesn't deserve these inappropriate rumors, she is innocent, and she has been through enough trauma."

"I'm leaving this with you. Sort it out! So your students don't come crying to me again," she scoffed, as she approached the door.

I moved to the side, as she stormed down the corridor.

I quickly entered again.

Starlings face was red with fury and he paced up and down the room.

"Profes-sor?" I hesitated.

"Luna, is it true what Miss Owl said?" he asked angrily, as he rubbed his head.

"The truth is this Professor, my maturity separates me from associating with the girls in this college, they aggravate my temperament with rumors and I cannot trust any of them. Katy has been following me and taunting me ever since I started here, I simply told her to leave me alone," I lied.

"I knew it, that girl is a complete trouble maker. Tomorrow both of you are going to sit down and sort this out," He cried.

I had to protect myself, I could not let one, loud mouthed girl mess up my entire future.

He looked at the classroom clock.

"God! It's nearly 7pm, let's get you home, I don't want you walking the streets in the dark," he cried.

"Professor please you do not need to do that, I think I have caused enough distress, I am sorry."

I looked to the floor.

He came closer and his eyes softened, then he tenderly lifted my chin.

"Luna, you have caused no trouble, don't you dare blame yourself for other people's behaver, you are stronger than that. Plus it's pouring down with rain outside, I can't have you standing at a wet bus stop," he walked over to his desk and picked up his bag.

"No really, I must not. I will not have that lady spread anymore rumors, you have worked so hard for your profession."

I frowned.

"Luna, like you said before, nothing inappropriate is going on here. Leave the gossip to me."

He walked back to me, he enticed me by jiggling his keys, "I have an electric car you know, no pollution."

I pretended to sulk, "Well, you have convinced me now."

I cunningly smiled.

We climbed inside his mahogany electric car and I sunk comfortably into the cream faux leather interior. He cared enough about pollution to get transport that was eco-friendly, he always practiced what he preached and I could see the good and the god in his heart.

"Thanks for dropping me home Starling," I said as we drove through traffic.

"You're very welcome Luna, honestly you have been such great company as usual, it's the least I could do, I mean I would prefer to take you home on the back of a unicorn," He patted the dash board, "But Tesla isn't so bad."

We both laughed.

"You think so magically, you should be writing fantasy stories about fairies that build solar panels and help you pick up litter."

I giggled.

He nodded his head at me, "Some imagination you got there Luna, I believe it's you who's the writer," He convinced.

As I directed him to Anna's, Starling flicked through radio channels on the computer screen, which was situated in the middle of the car.

Then suddenly the radio played it.

Yes again, that one, "her friends are so jealous, you know how bad girls get, sometimes it's not easy to be the teacher's pet, temptation, frustration, so bad it makes him cry, wet bus stop she's waiting his car is warm and dry. Don't stand, don't stand so close to me."

He gulped.

I blushed pink, and faced the window.

I thought: What was happening? Was the universe singing to us? When all the signs pointed toward him, and I was told by Michael to find him, why did I feel guilty for my conduct in the classroom?

He flicked the radio off, and we stopped at some traffic lights. He took my right hand and placed it firmly in his left.

"Luna, this is a revengeful, manipulative world we live in, promise me that even when ignorance seems easy, you will stay truthful, for mankind," he begged.

My excuses for my deception, no longer convinced me. Somehow his soul knew, I was lying to him. I wanted to help Earth, I did. I did not want to encourage his feelings, when he cared about this planet, just like I. I know Michael would have me use my resources this way, for the greater cause, but I refused to let him fall for me.

We parked up outside Anna's house.

"Thank you professor, I guess I will see you tomorrow."

"Forever, very welcome, Luna."

"Knock, Knock."

I jumped.

There was a knock at the car window, Starling pressed a button which brought down the window.

"Hello Professor thanks for bringing her home. You are very late Luna! Oh Professor, I have extra food tonight, please join us it's almost ready," Anna babbled.

"Thank you, but I've had a long day maybe another time?" he replied.

"Professor it's the least we can do after all your kindness please stay, she makes vegan food now," I convinced.

"Oh okay you've pulled my arm Luna," he surrendered.

"I did not pull your arm! I would not do such a thing," I cried in defense.

"Oh Luna!" They said together.

It was just so typically me, to take everything so literally.

Anna watched over me like I was her tiger cub and she was an overprotective lioness, as Starling and I discussed the world's problems, and planned hypothetical solutions.

"Travel agents, bankers and business men, have put a price on our beautiful planet, you can even buy square footage of the moon," Starling shook his head, as he cleared his plate, then pointed at us, "Anna, Luna, soak up the sun while it's still free!" He joked.

And we all laughed together.

"Anna, to think plastic which is made from oil, is almost completely responsible for climate change. Professor told me that it takes 17 million barrels of oil to produce 900,000 plastic bottles a year, this could fuel 1 million cars a year. What is more disturbing is, it takes 3 liters of water to produce a 1 liter bottle," I faced Starling, "Professor, I want to start a petition, to ban plastic in supermarkets, how do I go about that?" I asked.

"Ambitious Luna, god, I love that about you. Let me have a think, and get back to you."

We understood each other, we went forward in the same direction as if we rode together on the same horse, trotting toward change. It was almost like two worlds had collided, one the soul of love and the other pure logic and together they co-created a new time line, a parallel universe, one where Earth would survive and thrive.

Even though we were once distances apart, like him I always wanted to do something greater, like banish demons from Earth. So Earth could learn of heavenly things and come to Venus when they passed over.

Unfortunately, free will exists and they can chose heaven or hell. If he knew the truth, the goddess in me, that I granted and allowed all the ugly, painful disgraceful things to happen to Earth. Would he still love my ambitious soul? I was equally as bad as the bankers, the business men for I too, had dirty laundry, and blood on my hands.

I admired his long strong legs, as they charged forward in his black pin striped trousers, towards the door. I gazed intently, as he swung his coat with such finesse around his shoulders, like a proud superhero and his trusty cape.

He carefully buttoned it up.

I thought: Oh to be those buttons on his coat, there he goes again handling everything with such care and intent. How I longed for his digits to caress me.

Then I speculated, am I falling in love? Maybe I was not preying on his good nature for the quest, maybe I genuinely, cared about him.

"Well good night, Professor, drive safe," I softly spoke.

Anna earwigged from the kitchen.

Starling hopped on one leg, "Thank you Anna for a lovely dinner," he called to the kitchen.

Anna ran a tea towel through her closed fist, as if she held in built up rage, "You're welcome- Professor," she sounded fake.

Starling and I sensed, she was not best pleased, or concerned with our connection.

"And thank you, for always being such amazing company, Luna."

We locked eyes for a moment.

"You are most welcome, Professor." I tranced.

He came closer, I felt his sparkly aura invade mine, as our bodies almost touched. I softy sighed as he leaned in, then as he brushed my cheek with his I shivered. He cautiously planted a soft kiss, upon my face. I let it linger, I focused on the tingles, I did not want it to ever, ever, end.

"Good-night, Luna."

He paced towards the door, and like a transited star, he was gone.

I sighed, I stood dazed, and lost as I realised one day I would have to bid good day, forever.

When I return to Venus, and Arch Angel Michael asks me what my favourite thing on Earth was, I will tell him it was you, Starling. The unusually, familiar, YOU.

"But Angels are not supposed to fall in love, true love is universal," I reminded myself.

I could not help myself, he made me feel like a natural woman, and sometimes I pretended I was.



© 2018 Rebecca


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on December 18, 2018
Last Updated on December 18, 2018
Tags: sciencefiction, teen, romance, youngadult, angel, fantasy, scifi


Author

Rebecca
Rebecca

Belfast, United Kingdom



About
Hi everyone! I am currently active on instagram and wattpad at @authorrabishop I love writing, the environment, nature and animals. My current book series 'the girl from our moon' is about an an.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Rebecca