Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Rebecca

Chapter 11

A kiss of heat blushed my cheeks, salty sweat trickled down my freckly forehead and blurred my vision. Horizontal ripples of haziness, seemed to mix the yoke of the sun with the white sky.

The concrete wavered as I staggered to college, and when I tried to add speed to my legs, the pavement set in a mirage of an earthquake, which vibrated me into a standstill of fear.

Drought inside my mouth withered my tongue, I undid my grey cardigan and threw it over my shoulder. I yearned for water, it was not long before I used my cardigan like a towel and dabbed the sweat away.

Even though heat caused me confusion, I preferred it, as I was over sensitive to the slightest tickle of cold air. (Uncontrollably shaking enough for someone to comment was not a favourite human experience of mine.) I wondered how long it would take for me to become accustomed to a typical physical reaction, but I did not want to stay long enough to find out.

Then I wondered: Why is it this hot at the end of September?

Red and blue altocumulus clouds crept by where the Earth's New Moon would be, and today I knew something wonderful was going to happen. I did not know how, but strangely, I thought maybe just by thinking it, it might, make it happen.

My vessel was finding it difficult to contain my electric power, my fingers trembled with an urge to blow something up. I thought: The street is empty, no one would see me, I could get away with it. Just one hex of magic to feed what I craved.

I was far from evil, I was not some nasty witch, it was just the child in me, who wanted to come out and play. I was slowly behaving, worse maturing into a human adult, the worse kind of adult, a bore.

But I am glad I resisted because I would have created unnecessary drama or worse, "Poof!" teleported to Mars, chained to the devil.

I arrived early as usual, I leant my foot against the arty wall and waited for Professor Starling and the students to join me. I needed to think about the consequences, I had become reliable, responsible, human Luna. I would never change my exuberant individuality, it was just now there was a time and a place for it.

I took my quest very seriously, straight up, all work no play! Downside to no fun, I became impatient with all the waiting, I wished I could reap my rewards right away. But, as long as I had determination, I knew I was one step closer to my title.

The classroom door was always locked before the start of lessons, but my intuition was trying to convince me to snoop around before Professor and the class came.

I reached for the classroom door handle and it was unlocked.

How peculiar?

I did not dare question it further, as I knew I had divine intervention to guide me to take action.

With stealth, I curiously, but quickly rummaged through Professors desk, like a private detective. I needed to dig deeper into his world, so I could build a relationship with him. Strangely, it was almost as if I was, becoming obsessed with him, I missed him when he was not around.

Then I locked eyes with it, a bold black flyer, with red writing. I read, 'Protest against beaut-i-fy, for testing cosmetics on animals.'

My stomach churned, photos of bloody, bruised, caged animals covered the flyer. I held my mouth, as I desperately tried to keep the acid inside my stomach.

I read the company name, "The ROAR" and underneath was the abbreviation in small writing, 'The rights of animals respected'.

I also read in a speech bubble, "Animal cruelty doesn't stop at product testing. Farmers and slaughter houses abuse and murder animals to provide you meat. When we clearly don't have carnivorous teeth. The farming industry is also the 2nd biggest polluter and contributor to climate change."

The protest would happen today, at 4pm. It was obvious, that Professor Starling had planned on attending, after he finished class. So I needed to go, no, I wanted to go. I longed to get closer to him, and finish my mission.

"Ding, ring, ding!"

The bell rang.

"Shoot!" I panicked.

I charged to my seat, and the students rushed into the classroom.

Luckily Professor Starling arrived late, "Sorry everyone, bad traffic, turn your books to page 22 and read please. Then we will discuss, how plastic harms sea life," He announced as he entered.

I eagerly opened my book and began to read.

The insensitive words I read were stamped into my mind like a letter head. The despicable, and thoughtless actions human beings had taken without the thought of consequence, upset me.

Tears filled my weak eye lids.

As the plastic bag floated around, continent to coastline, it harmed the tiniest of bacteria to the largest of mammals. Anger washed over me, it was unforgivable to put another species in danger.

Suddenly I snapped out of my thoughts, when I heard careless giggles around me.

Two girls were whispering about their latest crushes whilst they plastered on thick scary make-up, appropriate, as Halloween was not so far away.

The more I learned about what was happening on the planet, the more I realised how uneducated and ignorant the students were. I wondered why they studied this subject, when they had no real concern for wildlife and the environment, and I wished I could change their attitudes.

However, Professor was different, he had a tender heart, as I learnt in a matter of weeks that he felt the same as I. He wanted to help the animals and the environment.

Currently, humans stupidly let big corporations cut down trees and frack for oil, then they would buy that oil to power their vehicles, make plastic containers, wrappers for food, and bottles to drink from. Which would in return pollute the air with poisonous toxins and cause them health issues.

Also it heated up the planet, melted the ice caps which had a devastating impact on the penguins and the polar bears survival. And as trees were not being replanted after deforestation, it meant less oxygen for humans and the animals.

Professor informed the class that humans would have no future, if they did not contribute to the reversal of climate change. It puzzled me how much logic the younger generation lacked, surely it was basic human instinct, to want clean air and your future children to survive and thrive.

But how could I expect logic and basic instinct to take priority, when the retailors, who constantly advertised their products to highlight everyone's insecurities, manipulated them into buying more unethical products for a moment of temporary satisfaction.

I would read and hear clever calculated talk,

"You can feel, look, see, perform, hear, taste better, sparkle, shine and stand out from the crowd. If you just buy this incredibly cheap, comes with free gift, 7 in one, fast working, life changing, certified, proven and tested product..."

Even worse, there were natural, un-harmful, anti-animal testing, bio-degradable alternatives already available for them to buy, but friendly solutions were rarely talked about.

I had a conspiracy theory, that these big corporations bribed or black mailed governments, to dumb down education and the awareness of these alternative products, so they could keep making money from the careless ones.

When the truth was "Terms and conditions apply, forests were burnt down, animals have been tortured, people have been poisoned, oil leaks have occurred in waters, consume at own risk, may not work for some and no refunds or exchanges."

How did these companies not realize, that archeologists had dug up powerful Egyptian tombs and found that possessions like gold and money did not go with them to the afterlife.

Money was useless buried inside their graves and if they wanted to leave a legacy behind, for their family to inherit the money, trees were imperative to their survival.

Then something broke my day dream, and I shivered as I felt an uncomfortable stare on the back of my head.

I faced and confronted the gazer.

Her Spanish hazel eyes causally moved away from mine, as she neatened her purple bandanna. She reached for her grey jogger pocket, and retrieved her mobile. I watched her type and scroll, as she twirled a tatty strand of her black brittle hair with her finger.

I wondered if she had an illness, as her dark features contrasted heavy against her unusually pale face. She giggled as she showed the girl next to her, something on her mobile.

She always sat at the back of the classroom and chose to disrupt lessons, hypocritical of me, as I understood the rebelliousness in her. Similarly we both craved entertainment, maybe I was partly jealous of her. As I was now working and she was carefree, the way I wanted to be.

However, I did not commiserate the lack of empathy she held towards Professor, he was always so passionate about his lessons, he did not deserve that kind of disrespect.

I turned to face the front of class again and I heard her whisper to her friend. Starling was always alert and his ears twitched like a guard dog, as he had heard the faint, muttered voices from the back of the classroom.

"So to make sure you have been reading, what would be the repercussions of a plastic six pack coke can holder on the ocean? Katy please," He announced.

He peered impatiently at her, ready to embarrass her.

"Oh Sorry Sir," She sounded frightened, she quickly flicked through her study book, "I don't know," she let out a high pitch squeal.

He snapped, "You need to pay attention in lessons if you want to pass my class Katy."

He charged towards her, "I will have that mobile off you please," He held out his hand.

Katy huffed, then handed it to him.

He took a quick glance at her phone, "Facebook? I see your latest status, was this lesson boring you?" He scoffed.

"Well yea," She spoke with a childish attitude.

She smiled as the class laughed at her, Katy enjoyed being the class clown.

Professor, stomped over to his desk.

He attempted to put her in line one more time, "You are in college now Katy, not high school. We can always suspend you from this course, it is not mandatory to have you in my lesson," He threatened, as he switched her phone off.

"Sorry sir. It won't happen again, please don't kick me out," She begged.

He shoved her phone into his desk draw and slammed it shut.

"Did anyone actually read page 22?" He huffed.

I seized the opportunity and my hand went in the air.

"Yes, Luna," He sounded happier.

"Harm to sea life, such as a turtle getting its neck caught in the plastic ring. Also plastic is not biodegradable, so potentially it could harm the oceans floor and plant life and poison the water. This disturbs my heart, I really dislike people who litter!" I cried.

"Good answer Luna, I know your passionate but let's keep your voice to a comfortable volume," He gestured his hands down, "Save that eager energy for debate lessons."

Katy rolled her eyes, I could tell from the brown and dark clouds in her aura she was now jealous of me.

Our assignment was to summarize the next 3 pages, into our own opinion. I could express my opinions vocally with no trouble, as if my suppressed need to fight demons, found a way to come out.

However when it came to write words down, it was no surprise I struggled to control my fingers. All of that extra energy left inside me, came out as messy chaotic handwriting.

Starling thought that my immature writing skills, was due to my brain damage. But I practiced my handwriting a lot at night, I was determined to make an impression on him.

However, Professor's handwriting was as magical as the scriptures from an early civilization. I was fascinated, with every stroke and flick, he left me nostalgic for his history.

Then I overheard something escape from Katy's mouth.

"Oi Luke the puke," she whispered to the blonde male in front of her, "Oi four eyes, give me your answers," she pulled at his cartoon t-shirt collar.

She knocked his square glasses out of place.

Luke felt violated, I could not let Katy get away with being a bully, I jumped out of my seat and shouted, "Katy have some respect, get back to your studies, you childish idiotic girl."

I could feel my heart charka glow underneath my shirt.

Suddenly my arms glowed green, ready to battle.

I tried to relax myself but it was too late!

"OH MY GOD! Look, look everyone! Lunas arms have gone green!" shouted Katy.

The class turned to look at me.

I felt naked.

Feelings of a familiar situation flashed to me. It was as if I suffered post-traumatic stress, and I was back on Venus being humiliated by Sunny and the group of no-thrills.

I quickly controlled my anger and my arms changed back.

Professor Starling pointed at Katy, "Leave my classroom now! You're being disruptive!" He declared.

Katy huffed, stuck her tongue out at me and stormed out of the classroom.

"You look like the hulk when you're angry Luna," Luke joked.

With one eyebrow raised, "Who's the hulk?" I whispered to Luke.

"He is a superhero, Luna, everyone knows that," He arrogantly replied.

Then the whole class laughed at my ignorance.

I did not understand the comparison, who was this hulk person? I liked very much I was compared to a superhero, I like to think angels are super heroes.

I tried to concentrate on my work, but my ears burned up and I could sense Professor Starling was thinking about me. I saw sparkles of sliver in his aura, so being naughty Luna, I scanned his thoughts.

"Her maturity exceeds my classroom, she is more clued up on the environment than some of the teachers."

His aura appeared a strong, bright red as he developed a yearning towards me, but it was natural for a human to find an angels power appealing. He was attracted to the love that flowed through me, not my physical body or my personality, he just did not realize it.

He anxiously, briefly, brushed his soft round, wolf-like nose as he tried to shake me from his thoughts. Then he rubbed his forehead nervously, fixed his hair, "She is too young for me. Why do I want to spend time with her," He battled in his mind.

I should not have listened to his intimate thoughts, but I made the excuse it may help with the quest.

He locked eyes with me, I awkwardly looked down to my work.

He focused on his laptop and covered his eyes with his hand.

But I did it, I listened to him again.

"Okay, tomorrow's lesson is about the benefits of recycling...her sweet voice, her passion for the planet. How can she be 17? I have to stop!" He cried ashamed.

He shot up from his chair.

I gulped.

It was as if he knew I had invaded his mind.

But he calmly, slowly aimlessly strolled around the classroom to talk to his students. I however drifted deeper, into an illusion of Professor Starling. I could not seem to shake him from my thoughts either, was it because he was the task at hand or because I was experiencing humanly love?

I thought: Me an angel fall in love? Me Luna! No! I know it cannot be so. I was the one who needed to stop and take control. I was the one who was walking into a dark cave without a light to guide me.

Professor glided himself to the front of class, and exuberantly leant forward on his tip toes, as if he practiced yoga.

"Class, listen, I have forms here for you to complete," he picked up a loose sheet of paper from his desk, and waved it around, "you must bring in cash tomorrow, as we are going to visit the science museum, at the end of term. Permission slips need to be filled in if you want to visit the atmosphere center, it will help you with your climate change projects."

Then the bell rang.

College finished early on Wednesday's, so I was glad I had some time to compose and prepare myself for the ROAR protest.

I felt a student peer at me from the corner of his eye, as if to look at me direct would scar his innocent mind. I packed my multi-coloured bag, and he continued to study me as if I was an alien from another planet. I did not care, because I was a girl from many planets.

"Green arms?" he whispered to his friend.

"As if Mark! Katy chats so much crap," a female responded as they walked towards the door.

"Anyway guess who sent me a tweet, you are going to be soo jealous Amanda," He enticed and they left the classroom.

I picked up my linen handbag and I was ready to leave. But Professor darted towards me and stopped me at the doorway.

"Can I have a word? Luna," He uttered as he closed the classroom door.

I stumbled, "Ur, Yes."

Did he know I snooped around his desk?

He then slowly slid into his chair.

I trembled nervously, as I walked toward him. What was happening to me, why did I feel this way?

"Luna, are you okay? I know some of the students were laughing at you but don't listen to them. But can we not make scenes in the classroom, from now on? That is sort of my job, ha-ha," he joked.

I softly smiled and nodded in agreement.

He carefully stood onto his feet and gazed upon the daisy chain in my hair. I read his mind, "This girl didn't need a lecture from me about attitude. She is just passionate, I could never make it obvious I wanted to talk to her. I can only approach her as her teacher."

I eyeballed the floor.

"Nice daisy chain, did you just step out of a sixties protest? Ha-ha," He joked again.

I looked up at him, I watched the red neediness in his aura burn brighter.

He gazed into my eyes, as if he searched for something.

"Oh thank you. And Professor do not be concerned, the other students do not threaten me, what bothers me is their constant need to please their egos. I have only just noticed that teenagers are similar to animals in a jungle. I was only trying to defend Luke," I explained.

I rolled my eyes.

"Don't forget you're a teenager too," he shook his finger at me, "but a strongly opinionated one I might add."

Then I read his mind again, "I feel so, youthful, when I talk to you."

Then I ran my finger over his desk, "Professor while I have you," I put on a very adult voice, "Do you think, when you have a free period, I could get some more information about the committee, you are the only person I have met who is as equally passionate about life and the environment," I manipulated, sweetly.

He rubbed his chin, he knew it was wrong for a student to spend time with a teacher. He fixed his shirt, as he tried to cover his true feelings.

I sent some magical energy to reassure him, I hoped it would convince him to agree.

I thought: I used my powers today and on a new moon.

He bit down on his bottom lip and tapped his fingers on his desk, he whispered, "As you asked so politely."

"Sorry?" I replied.

He snapped his fingers happily, "Yes, I like the sound of that idea," he spoke up.

"In fact, the committee are thinking about letting a few college students join, to reach out to the younger generation. I will arrange some debate sessions so you and other students can learn about the committee," he smartly responded.

His aura shined blue, I felt he was happy that I came up with an excuse for us to spend time together.

"Great," I enthused.

I smiled cheek to cheek.

He gulped, he hoped no one would find out his real intentions, "Super, I shall see you tomorrow."

I went to the classroom door and opened it with a huge smile presented on my face. I was very pleased with myself, but as I got further down the corridor my smile disappeared in an instant.

Katy however, was not pleased as she waited to get her mobile phone back from Professor.

"Oi ugly, who do you think you are getting me in trouble? You look so stupid with that floral shirt. Its 2018 not 1960, are you stuck in a time warp or something? With that memory loss of yours?" Katy vented her frustration out on me.

She dressed just like every other teenager in the college, grey skinny bottoms, a t-shirt with words, I could not find in the English dictionary. A designer handbag looped over her forearm, which most likely cost her parents' two months wages or a maxed out credit card.

I was not sure why she thought she looked better than I. Was it because she dressed as everyone else did? The girls in college were purposefully underweight, with their skeletons piercing through their skin. I felt angry that Katy chose to neglect herself and that precious body, the creator gave to her.

I had a name for persons like her 'Hanger Label'. Simply because everything with a designer label these days was made to look good on a hanger. So if you wanted it to fit you, you had to be extremely thin and weigh naught.

I do not make a habit of stereotyping but she wanted to fit into one, so I hung her next to the uninspiring models. It seemed this generation love and cling to tangible things, neglect and ignore living beings, because the shopping malls wanted them insecure and longing for more.

I attempted to walk away, but she shoved me, desperate to provoke me.

"Please go away sheep, carry on following your herd, baa-baa," I joked.

She oddly, softly glanced at me.

I shivered, where had Katy gone?

Suddenly the windows of her mind lit up, as if some intelligence life form reacted for her.

She flung her fist into the air.

I ducked.

But I had overreacted, as she only pretended to punch me.

Katy held her belly as she laughed hysterically at me.

However, what I did next, I know I should not have.

So I telepathically whispered in her head, "I am going to hurt you when you least expect it."

As she listened in disbelief, her mouth widened in shock. I was trying to scare the demon that lurked behind her.



© 2018 Rebecca


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on December 18, 2018
Last Updated on December 18, 2018
Tags: sciencefiction, teen, romance, youngadult, angel, fantasy, scifi


Author

Rebecca
Rebecca

Belfast, United Kingdom



About
Hi everyone! I am currently active on instagram and wattpad at @authorrabishop I love writing, the environment, nature and animals. My current book series 'the girl from our moon' is about an an.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Rebecca