Chapter 5: A Dying Breed

Chapter 5: A Dying Breed

A Chapter by Eryn ♪

"You made it, I'm glad." Jay was the first to notice our entrance and greeted us so.
"Thanks, you seem really worried." I retort, letting the sarcasm drip from my mouth.
"I'm sorry Seth, I mean what I said, but to be honest I had no doubt you would make it in one piece."
"Oh?"
"Of course," He replied. "You are a dragon after all."
"What does that even mean?" I asked attempting to keep his calming tone from letting me cool. "I can't see any more. Even if I wanted to keep on being a Dragon and paining the streets with you I couldn't."
"Is that really what you think being a Dragon is about?" He asked. "Take a seat Seth."
It was the first time I had ever heard Jay raise his voice. It seemed to fill the blank space with a glow, illuminating him against the black background. It struck a blow to me equal to the meteor which only an hour before had swept me off my feet. I collapsed onto the floor, but no pain filled my bruised body, or if it did it was lost on me.
"Do you know why we are Dragons Seth?" He said, "We are Dragons not because we paint them on the walls of the street. We are not Dragons because we are powerful or fierce. We are Dragons because we inspire awe. What I saw earlier from you, as the minders caught you, was what this group is all about. We go out every night and paint the town so that people may look at it and feel awed by it. That is what we have been doing since the beginning.
During the wars, when everyone was giving up hope and ready to leave everything behind, we, the original Dragons fought to stay alive. We were street kids, left to fend for our selves, thought to be doomed, a dying breed. Yet here we stand, and still we leave people in awe.
Who else faces up against the minders? Who else risks everything just to add that something else to a dreary existence that has become everyday life? That's right, no one else. That is why we are Dragons Seth. Maybe I was wrong about you, maybe you aren't a Dragon, maybe you are like everyone else, the real dying breed."
I heard Jay's shuffling footsteps moving away form the invisible form of a chair. Though he tried to remain calm and collected I was sure that we could all feel the tension lingering in the air. Down one of the hallways the distinct sound of a door slamming could be heard.
Slowly, ever so slowly the group started into motion, their murmurs filling my ears, but never making it to my consciousness. Slowly even they started to fade until the only thing left was me and the eternal night that filled my eyes.
By the time I arose to feel my way to the door everyone was lost in private conversations, all too busy to notice the empty shell that was once me pass them by. Slowly I made my way to the cellar doors, the gateway to the outside world where I would find him. I reached up and tentatively pushed against the sturdy oak, feeling the grainy wood against my cold fingers. As I took a step out into the cool air that comes with the night I pause, letting the breeze brush through my mess of what I remember as dark brown hair.
"Hey Jay. I haven't given up yet."


© 2012 Eryn ♪


Author's Note

Eryn ♪
Criticize to your hearts content. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Alright, so since the mc is blind, I expect all the other senses to be in a sort of "overload" sense, and I'm not exactly getting that here. In other words, I want details that come from all my other senses.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

I'm reading as far as I can tonight. Lol.
Eryn ♪

10 Years Ago

Ok, that's cool.
Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

Done. Rad the whole thing :3 now onto the next read request lol.
I liked the feeling behind Jay's words, they felt real to me. I'm starting to get a sense of who your characters are as people. Nice work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ha ha, loved it! Couldn't really spot any grammar errors or such. Therefore, well done! Also, I'm getting to know plenty about the "Dragon" group as a whole... When do I get to know about the members of it though? What about their pasts? All I really know so far are Seth and his friend. Either way, looking forward to the next chapter. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

521 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 26, 2012
Last Updated on December 26, 2012


Author

Eryn ♪
Eryn ♪

Ontario, Canada



About
I am 21 with red hair and aqua eyes. I face life one picture, one word at a time. Some call me odd, I prefer eccentric. I have fought my demons and I have won. I am known to have ADD. I move forw.. more..

Writing
Battle Royal Battle Royal

A Story by Eryn ♪


Waking Waking

A Chapter by Eryn ♪



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..