Introduction

Introduction

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

Introduction



I want to see the whole world.

I know it’s not possible to scrape every corner of the globe with one’s fingertips.  I sometimes dream that I have, that I’ve studied every language and every subject, that I’ve seen every plant, rock, and river there is to see.  But I wake up and look around my room, feeling cramped and restless.

It had been so long since I had traveled and I decided that it was time to go out and find something new. Perhaps I’d manage to find a still-roving band of my own people, or maybe one of the Normie villages that seem to be popping up these days.

Aye, I said Normies, the people gifted with no magik or powers of the mind.  Others call them Humes... but not me. They have spent too many years focused on the extermination of my people for me to owe them the kindness of a proper name.

Our only allies in this world are the Alchemists, creating for simply the pleasure to create. They are the crafters, the artisans, the people you go to when something beautiful needs to be built.  They are a bit of an odd people, constantly building and designing.  Give them some iron, they can craft a plow only to break it back up and return it to the earth if they wish.

And then there are Mages.

In the world there are two types of Mages.  There are the White Mages; all their magik deals with the healing arts.  Most take a solemn oath to heal all who needs healing - an oath they take very seriously.

I’ve seen their capital, and as much as I hate to admit it, it was amazing!  All the houses are made of stone; translucent blue crystals line the walkways; and the palace... by the Creator the palace!  A beautiful example of architecture and art in its finest.  The walls are made of a white crystal, the towers jutting up like some vast quartz coming up from a cavern floor.  It is a beautiful place, with theaters and archives and parks.  If not for the leery stares, I could have stayed for much longer.

The second type of mage is the Black Mage.  Focusing on the manipulation of elements is their card.  Though many would deem our magik “destructive”, we simply deem it as useful.  Our magik is a resource and entertainment, something that helps us live and thrive.

But sadly, conjuring fire or controlling water seems frightening to an outsider and has gotten us marked as dangerous on more than one occasion.  There was a time when things were better.  We were dangerous, that we were, but because of our ability to manipulate we were often hired for a myriad of jobs. Sometimes something as simple as irrigation of water to a distant crop, or something as complex as city guards or soldiers.  Rumors have it that Black Mages were once the first choice of royal guards.  However, there was a small fraction of Black Mages who wish to be separate from the rest of their brethren.  They are vindictive and mad with the idea of control and power.

And it is the fault of the Dark Mages that Black Mages are so hated.

Nearly a hundred winters ago, a band of Dark Mages attacked Lunamis, the White Mage capital.  The population had been vibrant and abundant when the moon first began to appear on the horizon.  But when the moon rose over the highest turret of Lunamis palace, right in the middle of that crystal castle, it’s misty white walls now spread red from the blood of her people... a little over five thousand White Mages were left in the city " or so they say.

The Darks drew the symbol of the Black Mage in blood on the front crystal of the Castle.  Some more gruesome stories say the blood belonged to the slaughtered princess, a revered and beloved figure in White Mage society.

I’m lying here, wondering what the consequences of my actions will be, I still wonder if it was worth it, going out on that fateful day all that time ago.  I wonder why I did it.  I had a decent life I suppose. My parents were gone, but I still had my elder sister and friends.

It was my sixteenth winter, and I wanted to see the world, but I still wonder... was it worth it?




© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

And tips for fixing the description would be great too!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on February 6, 2015
Last Updated on February 6, 2015
Tags: regenero, rubedo, lunamis, black mage, white mage, magic, magick