Chapter XII: Home Again

Chapter XII: Home Again

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

Chapter XII

Home Again

Rubedo flopped down on the bed, happy to be back in his own room.  Glancing around in the darkness, he could easily make out his shelves full of knick-knacks and souvenirs.

He rose, wondering why he wasn’t sleepy anymore.  He had been ready to fall over when he came to his room.  He lit a candle and stretched out on his bed, debating on whether or not to get a book.

Rubedo glanced at his hand.  After a few second he got up and held it under the light of the lamp.  Not a trace of the gash was present.  He noticed that even a small segment of a scar on his palm was missing, only a bit in the middle where she had healed the wound.  After a long while he lay back down on his bed, holding his hand to his eyes.

He lay there for an hour or two, listening to the noises of a settling home.  He listened to Luna moving around in her room, and then the creaking sound of a bed frames as she settled in.  After the ticking and scratching of his sister’s sketching, painting, and mixing paints ceased he got up and walked out of his room.

Rhea regarded him sleepily when he entered the sitting room to get his cover and hat.  She made a small noise and settled back into a nest she had made in the corner of the rafters out of bits of bandages too small to use, stolen rags, and an old cloth hat.

As he entered the warmth of the barn the horses whinnied in surprised protest.  Rubedo ran to Dominica, gently whispering to her and stroking her neck to calm her.  After the other animals had ceased their alarm Rubedo led his horse out of her stall.  On nights when he could sleep her rode.  And tonight he just couldn’t stop think about the warmth of Luna’s hands holding his... those beautiful eyes looking into his...

He shook his head.  He needed to cool his blood.

Rubedo mounted quickly, neither the saddle nor the reigns taken off the hook.  “Dominica.”  He whispered quietly, patting his horse’s neck, “Hye!”

He galloped over the rolling fields, how he loved the valley!  Inside, it was like a completely different land, miles across!  Full to the brim with small lakes, gentle springs, rolling fields and forested plots - a heaven on earth.

Rubedo found some of the sheep they owned and was able to count forty-seven.  Four more than when he had left.  There must have been some births.  He dismounted, whittling away some time by examining the flock.  There hadn’t been any deaths, and like he thought, there were four unmarked lambs.

After satisfied with his sheep’s condition he vaulted back onto Dominica’s back and after a gentle, “Hye,” had her going again.

He rode until after midnight, over the hills and through streams.  He stopped every so often to pace around or sometimes just to look at the skies.  He even played his ocarina some, sitting on a stone and letting the high, hollow notes pierce the still night air.

After he was satisfied his blood was appropriately cooled, he put Dominica up, hopefully for the rest of the night.  He washed up and changed, falling into bed.  Rubedo stared at the ceiling before he drifted off to sleep, the sweet smell of grass and fresh air flowing in through his open window.


“Good morning Luna, rise and shine!”  Luna opened her eyes to see Azara sitting on the edge of the bed in a gray nightgown.  Luna sat up, rubbing her eyes and stretching.

“What time is it?”  She yawned, covering her mouth as she did so.

“It’s nearly eight " are you still tired?”

Luna shook her head, “No, quite the contrary.”  She got out of bed and stretched her back.  “That was the best sleep I’ve had in ages!  It’s much easier to sleep without guards clanking around below you.”

Azara laughed, ushering a confused look from Luna.  “Sorry.”  Azara confessed, “It’s only your nightgown, I could never picture you wearing anything like that!”

Luna blushed and looked down at her nightgown.  It wasn’t what Azara had expected, just like the nightclothes of an average girl.  Unlike the other girls, it was white, but still the same style as her own.  A wide cut neck and sleeves ending at the elbows.

“It looks lovely on you,” Azara assured as she got up to go to the kitchen, where Rubedo was assisting with breakfast.  He turned and smiled at her, and his sister couldn’t stifle a grin.  “Hoy!  Good thing you’ve never seen Luna’s gown, I think you’d roll over and die of embarrassment!”

Rubedo raised an eyebrow, “Oy?  Why inform me then?”

Azara clapped her hands, “I’m informing you because I enjoy making you uncomfortable, revenge for how mean you used to be to me, you see.”  Rubedo rolled his eyes, “And, you would be embarrassed... because.”

He rose both eyebrows now, “Because?   I would get embarrassed, because?”  He narrowed his eyes, feeling as though it was too early in the morning for his sister’s silliness. “I’m not asking.  I won’t allow myself to get sucked into this, I won’t.”

“You don’t want to know what it looks like?”

“What what looks like?”

“Her nightgown?”

Rubedo paused, “What about it?”

“I thought you didn’t want to get sucked into this.”

“I don’t.”

“So you don’t want to know?”

“I-”

“Are you sure you want to know?”

“Aye, just tell me.”

Azara laughed, “You really want to know?”

“Azara!”

“Alright, alright!”  She grinned impishly, “Her gown is white, and flows just like mine...” She winked at him, “Oh, except her neckline is a bit wider than mine...” Azara thoroughly enjoyed watching him turn red and his brow rise in surprise.

“Good morning, sorry if I slept late.”  Luna came into the kitchen, her over-robes back on.  Rubedo blushed and looked away, trying without success to forget his sister’s last comment.

He bowed, trying to keep his eyes on the stove, “Good morning Princess, sleep well?”

She nodded, “Very much so, thank you.”

Azara suddenly shot a suspicious look to her brother.  “By the way, Rubedo.  Were you out riding last night?”

Rubedo stiffened, then gave his sister a wave, laughing nervously.  “I couldn't sleep!  I decided to get some fresh air.  Come along, you do it too!”

Azara rolled her eyes, “Aye, but not as often as you.”

Luna smiled at Rubedo, “Were you playing your ocarina last night?”

Rubedo’s head snapped in Luna’s direction, he blushed vividly.  “Um... yes... did I wake you?  I’m so sorry Princess, I didn’t realize-”

Luna laughed and waved her hands, “Oh no!  I awoke from something else, I don't really know what.  I didn’t think I would be able to get to sleep again, but you're playing Rubedo!  It was so calm and soothing, it lulled me back to sleep.”  She smiled kindly, “It really was beautiful, Rubedo.”

Rubedo blushed and shrugged, “It’s not really that difficult, I mean, anyone could do it with a little practice-”

“He’s amazing with music!”  Azara interrupted, “He can pick up nearly any instrument, fiddle with it for a short time, and play something grand!”  Then after a slight pause and a playful thump to the back of her brother’s head, “He’s good with words too.”

Rubedo shifted his weight, “Let’s stop talking about this, please?”

His sister ignored him, “He writes lovely poetry, he does-”

“Breakfast is ready!”  Rubedo interrupted, cutting his sister off.

“You write?”  Luna asked.

Rubedo shrugged, “It’s nothing really, just simple writings.  When I think of something, I write it down, I do.”

“You know,” Luna said, “Writers are highly coveted in White Mage society... it’s a wonderful gift, the talent of music also!”

“Don’t you play music, Luna?” Azara asked, feeling her brother had had enough embarrassment for one morning.

Luna nodded, “Yes... some.  I play the harp, and I’m learning the flute.  I’ve also played the piano since I was small.”

“Piano?”  Azara asked.

Rubedo answered his sister; “It’s basically like a table with instrumental keys on it.  Every key emits a different note.  You play be pressing multiple keys, instead of one note at a time like most instruments.  I suppose it’s more like a harp turned over on its side than anything else.”

Luna nodded, “That’s a good description.”

“You saw one?”  Azara asked.

Rubedo smiled and nodded towards Luna, “I’ve seen her play.”

They ate a good breakfast of bread, eggs, and cream, all fresh from the source.  Luna was impressed " it was actually better than the food that was delivered to the castle, but she couldn’t put her finger on what was different about it.

“How would you like to go around the village and meet everyone, Luna?”  Azara asked, spreading cream on a steaming slice of bread.

Luna pushed the food around her plate nervously, “I don't know... I do need to speak to the Head Elder, so...” She smiled, “That sounds wonderful, I’d love to!”  She paused, “Will you be coming Rubedo?”

Rubedo choked on his bread, starting to cough.  He drank some water to drown it down.  “Er, aye, if you want I’ll come along.”  A soft line of pink had stretched itself across his cheeks.

Azara smiled, “We should definitely take her by Elder Gnarus first, that way, all the work is done.  After that, we can take her by the Runui’s, the Libriums, the Teliqu’s, the-”

“So in other words, everyone in the whole village?” Rubedo interrupted blandly, resting his cheek on his hand.

“Will we ride?”  Luna asked " she didn’t want to admit that she sore from the past few weeks.

Rubedo shook his head, understanding, “We’ll walk.  It’ll be faster than bothering with tacking up the horses, it will.”

As they walked Rubedo was giving Luna a quick lesson in the Black Mage tongue " simple greetings and manners " but Luna seemed too distracted to focus on the impromptu lesson.  She had paused and was looking at a nearby tree, her eyes running over its monstrous trunk with interest.

“What type of tree is that?”

“Ah… we say tree as ‘arbor’.”  While Luna looked at it in interest Rubedo’s own eyes were avoiding the black bark.

“It’s an oak.”  Azara said softly.

“Quercus.”  Rubedo murmured.

Luna looked at the two in question.

Rubedo shook his head and changed the subject, “Everyone speaks Omnimodus for the most part, they do.  I’ll translate if the need arises, so don’t worry.

Deciding it was best to let sleeping dogs lie, Luna pretended the last moment hadn’t happened, “Where does Elder...um.”

“Gnarus.”  Rubedo assisted.

“Yes,” Luna continued, “Where does Elder Gnarus live?”

About an hour from here, but no worries.”  Rubedo said waving to some friends, ignoring their shouts.  “We’re not going there, we’re going to the Council Hall, see that big building up on the hill?”

Luna nodded, Rubedo continued, “He’ll be seeing you there.”

“How exactly do Elders work?”  Luna asked, “Is it in their blood?”

Rubedo grinned as they started to go up the hill, “Basically, we elect them.  They can be any age, hell - sorry, Princess, bad habit. I could be an Elder if I were elected.” He went on, “We have eleven, that way, during voting for something there can’t be a tie.”

Luna nodded, “That’s intelligent.  I always did believe you were a cultured people.  Ha!  Now I have proof and can tell Roland!”

Rubedo laughed, “I’d like to be there to see that, I would!”

Luna smiled, “He’s convinced you people see nothing but blood and gold... silliness really.”

“We’re used to that sort of thing, we are.”

“I’m sorry.”

Rubedo shrugged, “It’s not you " you seem to have your wits about you, you do.”

Luna smiled sheepishly, “I didn’t always.”

He glanced at Luna in surprise " she had once been one of those people who hated him?

Luna looked down, “When I was small I met a very kind boy.  He probably wasn’t any older than you or I, but he seemed so grown-up to me.”  She smiled at the memory, “I was upset because a flower I had picked earlier had broken " he took it from me, fixed it, and handed it back.”  She sighed, “Then he got yelled at " they told him that he didn’t have to right to acknowledge me.  Yami calmed everything down though.”

Rubedo nodded, “Probably from Miho.”

“How do you know?”

“Most villages have an affinity for some element.”  Rubedo explained, “People of Drajan tend to have an affinity with fire " and earth-affinities that aren’t Forest People are typically from Miho.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“There’s a lot your people don’t know about us.”  He muttered. Remembering who he was talking to he shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose, “I’m sorry!  That’s wasn’t towards you-”

“I know.”

Rubedo opened the door for her and led her into the building, “I get defensive when it comes to that, I do.  Bad habit.” He gestured at a door as he slowed to a stop, “This is it " I’ll see you in a bit.”

Luna stayed rooted to the floor, “You aren’t coming with me?”

“I’m not allowed to go in, meetings are private.”

“Oh… will you wait for me?”

He smiled and leaned against the opposite wall, “Aye, that I will.  If you need anything, just shout, I’ll come running.”

Luna nodded and took a deep breath before going into the room, letting the heavy door swing shut behind her.  Gnarus looked up at her, setting the book his was reading down and acknowledge her with a nod.

“Thank you for seeing me Elder, it’s an honor to meet you.”  Luna bowed, her hands folded neatly in front of her.  She removed her hood as she rose, which was customary during the meeting of high-ranking officials.

“Princess Lunamis, the honor is mine.”  The old man bowed, just as she had seen Rubedo do on so many occasions, though the Elder seemed to be having difficulty, “Rubedo has spoken much of you, Princess. Although I am upset at the fact he did not inform us what a lovely young lady you are.  He told us you were beautiful, but did not do you justice.”

Luna laughed, a slight blush flowering her face.  “Well thank you, I think you are exaggerating things a bit though...”

The Elder shook his head, “Not at all.”  He stiffly lowered himself into a chair, smiling at her with his kind, weathered face.  “Now, your highness, what is the White Mage princess doing in our little village?”

Luna lowered her eyes, “I do not know, my guardian told me that it was for my safety, so he sent me here with Rubedo.”

Elder Gnarus nodded, “And your guardian... how does he know Rubedo?”

Luna rose her eyebrows, “I didn’t know he knew him.”

The man tapped his fingertips together, deep in thought, “Your guardian is an easterner... correct?”

“Yes...” Luna said unsurely.

“Odd eyes for an easterner... yes?”

Luna nodded again, confused.  “Why-”

The Elder smiled and shook his head, “Oh it’s nothing.”  He leaned back in his chair, “Now, how are you liking our little village, Princess Lunamis?”

“Please,” She said, still curious about the Elders obvious interest in her guardian, “Call me Luna, or Lunamis.”

“Alright then Lunamis, are you enjoying yourself?”

Luna nodded, pushing away the last subject, “Yes, very much so! It’s such a lovely, welcoming place, and everyone seems to care for one-another.”  She smiled, “And Rubedo’s been so kind to me... I’ve heard so many stories about Black Mages, and now I’m ashamed I ever believed them.  I never believed you were blood thirsty demons or anything of the sort, but-”

Elder Gnarus laughed a deep, booming laugh.  Luna laughed with him and continued, “But, I never knew you could be so kind... so caring.”  She smiled, “Or is Rubedo an exception?”

Gnarus smiled a ragged grin, “Well, Rubedo is a little more considerate and charming than most men his age, I suppose that just makes him a bit more mature than most.  And he has always had the talent of talking his way into... or out of things.”

Luna laughed, “He does have wonderful charisma.” She admitted, thinking of how he spoke to her on the night of the ball.

“So, Lunamis, why exactly did you come to see this old man?”

Luna blushed, she felt somewhat guilty for asking this of him, of his people.  “I will help with medical problems while I’m here, even if you do not, or can not do this for me... but...” She hesitated, “I have a request.”

The old man looked at her, “What is it you ask?”

Luna walked a bit closer to him, her hand smoothing along the wall as she walked, “This village has good, strong relations with the Dragons... yes?”

Elder Gnarus nodded, “Aye - in fact, one of the residents here can communicate with the Dragons easily.  He as a gift of tongues, and usually does most of the meetings involving them.” He smiled, “I must say, some of those Dragons have grown quite fond of the boy.”

“Are they... allies?”

Gnarus looked down at her.  “Aye.  Some years ago the Dragon Society was in horrible danger, near extinction.  We went to their aid... that’s when we discovered that boy’s gift.  He was the only one able to communicate with them.  He speaks to them with his mind, and understands every word they say to him, even when they speak in their own tongue.” He smiled, “However, they pick up other languages very quickly, and I haven’t found a single Dragon in years that cannot speak the Universal tongue, most can speak the Black Mage tongue also.

He continued, “We got them out of that situation so they pledged to always help us if we were in need.”

Luna paused, “May I make one request... regarding the Dragons?”

Elder Gnarus rose an eyebrow, “What is your request?”

“It is a bit-”

“Go on...” The Elder urged.

Luna fixed him with a strong, steady gaze.  “I want to see the Dragons Society... I...” She took a deep breath, “I want to be taken to Extraho.”


Azara had joined her brother in the meeting hall to give him some company as the meeting continued.  Rubedo leaned against the wall, his arms crossed, tapping one fist on the opposite arm nervously.  “What is taking so long?  He asked crossly, glancing at the door every few seconds.

“Oh, Rubedo!”  Azara grumbled, “Would you calm down, it’s only been twenty minutes and you’ll have plenty of time to show her the sights when she gets out, you will.”  She laughed, “Jealous, are you?”

Rubedo glared at her, “I’ll show her the fountains tonight, after it gets dark.  And I’ll take her to the sea some other time, I want her to be able to spend the whole day there.”

“Or do you mean, little brother, that you want to spend the whole day alone with her?”

Rubedo looked at her in silence for a few seconds, then put his head back down, not saying a thing.

With a click of a turning doorknob Luna came out of the meeting room, quietly shutting the door behind her.  “I’m sorry it took so long.”  She said apologetically.

“No worries!” Rubedo said, waving her apology away, “Besides, the village is small; it won’t take long to show you around, it won’t.”  He gestured for his sister and Luna to follow him down the hall leading towards the feasting hall.

Luna looked up at the tall, domed ceiling.  “This looks a lot like the building my Betrothal Ball was held in. Do you remember Rubedo?”

He nodded, “Except this one is much smaller, and without the glass ceiling,” He turned and winked at her, “No starlit balls for us!”

“You people are going too slow.”  Azara said, nudging her brother with her elbow, “I’m going outside, you two stay in here as long as you want.  Alone...” She winked at him, and then turned on her heels, leaving them behind.

Luna gave her a slight wave, then turned back to Rubedo.  “Was this built by Black Mages?”

He shook his head, “Alchemists.  It was a gift for protection and saving the life of a head artisan’s daughter.  He smiled at her, “Before the incident with the Darks, we Black Mages were highly desired bodyguards.”

Luna smiled, still looking around.  “How old is this building?”

Rubedo thought, “A few hundred years at least, probably more.”

Luna was walking around, noticing a small door nestled in the corner.  She walked over to it, looking at the strange symbol carved into the black door.  She shuddered - whatever the emblem was, she didn’t like it.

Rubedo gently grabbed her arm and led her away from the door, “It’s locked, no one can get in that room anymore.”  He looked nervous.

“What’s through it?”

Rubedo closed his eyes, “I... I don't know.”

“You don’t know?”

“Something… terrible.”

He started walking away, but Luna caught his arm, “What do you mean... terrible?”

Rubedo looked around and lowered his voice, as though he feared the very door would hear him, “Darks once met there.”  He said softly.

Luna looked towards the door, shocked, “Darks?  You mean Dark Mages?  Here?  In this village?”

Rubedo lowered his head, “Darks were in nearly every village Lunamis... you may not understand this, but those were terrible times, for the Black and White Mages alike... the Black Mages had to live with them walking among them everyday, wondering whether your neighbor was one, or the storekeeper... or even your brother.”

Luna looked down at the ground sadly, “How could anyone become so twisted?  Become so warped that they enjoy killing?  She shook her head, “It just doesn’t make any sense!”

Rubedo closed his eyes and sighed, “Princess, if there is one thing I know for sure, it is that there are many things that can twist a man.  There are countless things that can push him far enough to do anything from killing others, to killing himself.”


He didn’t quite understand what he had done.  All the boy could do was stare at his hand as it held his father’s shaking fist.

“You little b*****d!”

Crack!  Pain shot through his skull, sending him plummeting to the ground.  He felt himself be rolled over and yanked up by his collar.

“Now you listen to me you retch, you unruly piece of rubbish.”  He shook Rubedo’s collar, sending shockwaves of pain through the boys cracked skull.  “I don’t want to hurt your mother now-”

“You wouldn’t!”  The boy cried, not even noticing the pain of his skull.

His father cuffed him roughly in the jaw, “Do not interrupt me Rubedo Infestus!”  His father closed his eyes, “I do not wish to hurt your mother.  But if you ever, ever cross me again, I will punish you... and your mother.  Do you understand me?”

“Yes.”  Rubedo said through clenched teeth, the coppery taste of blood in his mouth.

“I beg your pardon?”

Rubedo’s eyes narrowed, a bitter taste on his tongue, “Yes Father.” He hissed.

Another hard kick to his ribs, then footsteps, the door to their house slamming shut... nothing.  Rubedo rose to his knees and retched violently, his hands shaking from the small effort of holding himself up.  When he could finally rise on his rubbery legs he wiped vomit from his mouth, feeling, for the first time, hatred for his father.  He had felt anger, but never this dark, blood-splattered fury.

“Don’t you hurt her...” He whispered, “I swear, if you ever hurt her you lousy son of a b***h... I won’t kill you... I’ll annihilate you.”


Rubedo and Luna were both quiet when they came out of the building, so Azara suggested lunch to give them time to recover.

“She saw the door.”  Rubedo said shortly when she started to ask questions.

As they ate, Azara kept Luna busy with stories of Drajan.  When finished she turned to her brother, “I think you should introduce her to all your friends,” She said in hopes of distracting her , “Even though-”

“How about Madidus?”  Rubedo asked.  Lunch had helped clear away most of his somber mood, “We can go to the north square, he’ll probably be there, he will.  And everyone knows, where Madidus is, Viktor and about five other aren’t far behind.”  He looked down at Luna, “Killing multiple birds with one stone, eh?”

“Aye.”  Luna said brightly.

Rubedo looked at Azara with a cocked eyebrow.  As if some signal was shown, they both started laughing in unison.  Poor Luna looked from one to the other helplessly.

“I’m sorry!”  Rubedo apologized, still laughing, “I’m so sorry!  You’ve never said ‘aye’ before, and such a phrase sounds strange coming out of your mouth!”

“Really?” She said, widening her eyes in surprise.

Rubedo nodded, “I suppose Azara and I have rubbed off on you.”

“Wonderful.”  Azara said with glee, “We’re ruining her!”

Luna laughed, “No, I feel more relaxed these days, I’m happy.”

It didn’t take long to reach the square. Luna speculated that this was a popular meeting point.  After looking around she recognized two of the boys that Rubedo had stopped to talk to.  Both were leaning against a sign of a store talking.

“Hoy!”  The dark-haired one said, (Was it Viktor?)  “If it isn’t Rubedo!”

“And the fair lady Princess!”  Madidus said, bobbing his eyebrows at Rubedo.

Luna bowed to both of them, her elegant hands folded in front.  “It is an honor to meet friends of Rubedo, he has told me about you.  I am Lunamis Rosemary Angelique XXI.”

“I am Viktor.”  The raven-haired boy said, bowing, “Welcome.”

“The honor is our own m’lady.”  Said the fair-haired boy, “My name is Madidus.” He then swept his hat off and gave Luna a dramatic bow, even going as far as to drop onto one knee and kiss the princess’s hand.  “My seeing you from afar, and Rubedo’s description of you did not do you justice, you are indeed a radiantly beautiful woman.”

Luan laughed, “Well thank you!  I’m very flattered.”

“Madidus.” Rubedo warned through clenched teeth.

He only grinned, “Sorry, Rubedo, I just can’t help myself, that I can’t!”

Viktor called Madidus something in the Black Mage tongue, Luna had a feeling it wasn’t a compliment.  Madidus merely grinned, feigning innocence and shrugged.

“Rubedo!”  Came a shout from the crowd, “Rubedo!  Big brother!”  A very small blond girl came running through the square, jumping into his arms and squealing in delight as he spun her around.

“Clair!”  Rubedo said, hugging the little girl.

He set her back down on the ground and crouched in front of her.  The little thing waggled her finger at him like a scolding mother.

“Big brother, you’ve been back for two days and you haven’t visited me or my new little brother yet!”

Rubedo gave Azara an alarmed glance, “Lady Amy had her baby?” He asked, “That’s wonderful it is! Clair, is he healthy?”

Clair nodded, “Papa says he is!  It’s so neat Rubedo!  You and Azara, and me and my little brother are the same years apart!  And the sister’s older, and the brother’s younger, just like your family!”  Luna laughed, and was finally noticed by Clair.

The child stepped behind Rubedo, peeking out from and putting her knuckle in her mouth.  “Hello...” She looked at Rubedo, who nodded.  She then turned back to Luna.  “Are you the princess?”  Another pause, “You’re a pretty lady...”

Luna laughed and kneeled down, “Thank you, you’re very pretty yourself!”

Clair giggled and ducked behind Rubedo again.  He smiled, “Sorry, she’s shy around strangers.  Clair!  Come out from behind there and introduce yourself!”

The blonde girl crept from behind Rubedo and back into view.  After a practiced curtsey she introduced herself softly.

“My name is Clair Liberin, it’s a orner to meet you!”

Rubedo laughed, shaking his head rapidly, “Haud-haud, Clair!  It’s honor, not orner!”

Clair clapped her hands to her mouth as though she had uttered a terrible curse, then hurried to Luna’s side, touching her hand.  “I’m so sorry!”  She nearly wailed, “It’s an honor to meet you!”  She smiled shyly, “I’m still learning the Omnimodus language, the Universal tongue is very confusing!”

Rubedo picked her up and threw her into the air, Clair laughed and giggled.  “She’s getting very good at it...” He grinned, “Except for a few minor slip-ups like the one you have just witnessed.”

Luna smiled at the girl.  “My name is Luna.”

Clair waved shyly, leaning her head against Rubedo’s chest.  Madidus grinned, winking at Luna. “Clair thinks that Rubedo is the greatest being to ever walk the earth.  She follows him around like a lost puppy!”

“I do not!”  Clair objected, wiggling for Rubedo to put her down.

“Yes you do!”  Madidus argued.

“Nuh-uh!”

“You do!”

Haud!”

“Yes you do!”

“Nuh-uh!”

“Oh, yes!”

“By the Creator!”  Rubedo yelled, “You two are arguing like you’re both four!”

Luna laughed, but she was cut off by another voice.

“Hoy! Rubedo?”  It was a girl’s voice, “Rubedo’s back!”  Rubedo sighed, his friends laughing loudly.

“Some of the villagers from Meridan have already arrived.”  Viktor muttered with a roll of his yellow eyes.

“Yes, Ruuubedo!”  Madidus shouted, “Don’t keep them waiting!”

Rubedo glared and took a deep breath, and turned and waved half-heartedly towards the group of girls, a pained expression on his face.  The group burst into peals of feminine giggles.

Rubedo waved his hands, “I-I don't have time to talk!  I’m giving a tour, that I am! I’m sure I’ll see you at the festival!”

He turned to Luna, “Come on, there’s still a lot to see.”  He lowered his voice, “And I want to get away from them as soon as possible.”

“We’ll cover for you.”  Said the kind, but nearly forgotten Viktor promised.

“Before the chickens come to get the red-combed rooster!”  Madidus squawked, playfully ruffling Rubedo’s hair and giving him a lighthearted shove. He then nudged him lightly in the ribs with his elbow, saying something in the Black Mage tongue, and then jerked his head towards Luna.  Rubedo, Madidus, and Viktor laughed, along with a few other boys, Rubedo was blushing slightly.

Clair looked from one to the other, “I... I don't get it....” This only caused the boys to laugh harder, Madidus almost doubled over.

“I’m so confused...” Luna murmured.

“It’s okay.”  Clair said, reaching up to clutch her hand, “I’m confused too, they’re talking nonsense!”

The duo traveled until dark, meeting friends and seeing landmarks.  Luna especially loved the giant maze made from high-standing bushes.

“I’ll take you in there someday when we have more time.”  Rubedo had said, “You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to get hopelessly lost!”

She also loved the flower gardens, and now wore a small white rose in her hair that Rubedo had “accidentally” broke off while he walked beside her.  Unlike her own gardens that stood neatly along paths, these were beautifully wild clumps that seemed to grow however they pleased.  Paths worn into the grass were the only semblance of order.

“Your adorers?”  Luna laughed they walked back to the Patronus, speaking of the girls from the square.

Rubedo sighed, “I had a bad feeling you would ask that, I did.  I don't know about adorers, but they’re from another village, down for the festival I assume.  I don’t know what’s gotten into them, it’s been two years, I’m surprised they even remember me.”

Luna thought for a few seconds, “Wasn’t that around when you were freed from you blindfold?”

“Aye?” He said, confused.

“Perhaps it’s your eyes then!”  She tilted her head back to look at him.  “You really do have beautiful eyes, Rubedo, hypnotic almost.”

Rubedo swallowed, only slightly aware of his bone-dry mouth opening and closing in an attempt to speak, but failing miserably.  Finally, with a huge effort he managed to rasp, “Tha-thank you...” Then fell silent, trying to will his face not to flush.  I’m lucky Azara went off with her friends, he thought, She’d be having a ball with this.

Luna gaze, still holding his own, softened into concern.  “Are you alright Rubedo?  You look flushed...”

He nodded, “Uh... of course!  No worries!”  He forced a grin.

“Are you sure?”  She asked, pressing her palm to his cheek, “You feel awfully feverish...”

“I’m not feverish!”  He said quickly, shrugging, (though the feverish feeling was getting worse). “Where to next?”  He asked, averting the conversation, “It’s been a long day, so we can go home if you’re tired,we can.”

“You said you’d take me to the fountains, remember?”  She said, smiling charmingly, “She didn’t give me many details, but Azara did tell me they were amazing...”

Honestly, how could he say no to that?

“For once, she’s correct.”  He said, “I’ll take you tonight, it’s not far.”

“I hope not!”  Luna looked towards the sky, “It will be getting dark very soon, we’ll soon be stuck in pitch!”

Rubedo smiled mysteriously, “Oh, trust me Princess Lunamis, if we see the fountains, you’ll want it to be dark.  Pitch, black, dark.”

“What do you mean?”

He laughed, “Oh, you’ll see.”

The fountains were tucked deep into the fields of the valley, so Rubedo and Luna went back to the house to retrieve Dominica before going on.  They rode across the valley to the waterfall Luna had seen from the top of the gorge, where Rubedo stopped and dismounted.

“Come on.”  Rubedo said, lifting Luna off, “We’ll need to walk from here.”

She nodded and walked beside him, following him into a tunnel behind the waterfall.  “Are we close?”

Rubedo nodded, not slowing down.  He finally stopped at what seemed to be a solid barrier of brush and vines.  After telling Luna to wait he moved aside some vines and went through, disappearing quickly.

Luna stood alone, rather nervous at being left alone in the dark.  She usually didn’t mind the darkness, but this confining tunnel stretched her nerves taught. She started looking around anxiously, wondering what was taking Rubedo so long, praying he would come back soon.

With no warning Rubedo returned, touching her hand to let her know he was there.  She screamed in panic, and starting backing away.  But a strong arm gently gripped her arm and she felt a finger go to her lips.

“Shh, shh, shh!”  Rubedo laughed, hushing her lightly, “It’s me, it’s me!”

Luna relaxed and he removed his finger from her lips, “Rubedo!”  She said, “I didn’t even see you!  I can hardly see you now!”   He felt her touch his face, as if to confirm his reality.

He grinned, “Of course it’s me, who were you expecting, Roland?”

Luna laughed and shook her hand, “No, no, of course not, you just startled me, that’s all.”  Her vision was beginning to adjust, and she could see his face now.

“Alright, Princess.”  He said, moving aside some branches, “Come on through.”  He offered a hand, “It gets a bit dicey through here, it does, lots of roots and thorns, hold on so you won’t fall.”  She willing took his arm with both hands, one arm looping around his while the other hand clutched his wrist.

Rubedo kept her close, partially to make sure she would fall, partially for reasons of his own.  He kept the fact that this was a popular courting destination to himself.

He came towards the last area of resistance and pushed back the curtain of brush.  Luna couldn’t suppress a gasp when he led her into the clearing.  Ten small geysers erupted from the earth.  A strange light was glowing from beneath each, coloring the spray.  There was pink, blue, yellow, red, and so many others!!  Some stayed one solid color, while others wavered between many.

“Some say,” Rubedo said in a whisper, “This was done by magik, other’s made by the Creator God’s fingers when he was finished with Drajan and placed it on the earth.”  Luna still held his arm, standing close to him.  “See?  I told you that you would want it to be dark.”

Luna nodded in awe.  “Yes... I’ve never seen anything like it... oh, it’s beautiful Rubedo!”

His gazes set itself on Luna, her eyes reflecting the colors of the fountains.  “Aye.”  He whispered, “That it is.”


“Buh’fly!”  The toddler ran after the bug, fascinated by the blue and black of its paper-thin wings, enchanted by its fluttering movement.  “Buh’fly!”  She giggled, running through the grass in her bare feet, free of her heavy over-robes.  She loved the freedom of the back courtyard.  Yami never forced her to wear her over-robes in this private place, just the light dress underneath.

“Buh-” The child tripped over something and fell to the ground, landing on her stomach.

“Lunamis!  Are you alright?”

She slowly got up and walked to her caretaker, her arms outstretched, and placed her lowered head against his leg.  He bent down and picked her up.

“Be a bit more careful Lunamis, we do not need you to hurt yourself!”  He laughed; she liked it when he laughed.  Yelling the rough equivalent to “Yami” she threw both arms around his neck, nuzzling into his neck and playing with his dark hair.  Yami laughed and kissed the top of her head, smiling and pushing hair out of her eyes.  After a few moments she began to wiggle, and Yami set her down on the ground.

Immediately forgetting her most recent episode, she took off after the bug again, “Buh’fly!”

Her guardian laughed, She just does not learn, does she?  He thought, shaking his head.  After a long chase Luna lay down in the grass, watching the clouds fly above her and humming a tune.

It wasn’t long before she jumped up again, triggered by the butterfly fluttering over and landing on her head.

“Buh’fly!”  She yelled jumping up and trying to catch it.

“Yami?  Have you seen the Young Miss?”  A younger Madre came out of the back door, a rag in her hand.  “The queen is back, and I know a certain little someone would love to see-”

“Madwe!”  The girl ran to Madre, hugging her about the hips and nearly knocking her down.

“Oh dear!”  Her nurse laughed, “Young Miss, where did you come from?”

“Buh’fly!”  She said, pointing to the insect.

Madre nodded, “Yes dear, I see, a very pretty butterfly!”  The little girl took off again, running back when Madre called her and nearly knocking her over again.

“Well now!”  Madre laughed, picking her up, “You’re just the little ball of energy today, now aren’t you?”

Yami laughed, “She is always a little ball of energy, a bit more so today though.  She is just a little lightning bolt today, buzzing around this way and that; she would not even stay down for her nap.”

Madre smiled down at Luna, “Well now dear, do you want to see your mother?”

Luna gasped, “Mommy?”

Madre set Luna on the ground, nodding and laughing.  The toddler grabbed Madre’s hand and led her inside the castle.  Yami flowed along behind, shutting the door as he came in.

“Wait a moment Lunamis.”  He said, pulling the tiny set of robes off a hook and bending down to pull it over her head.  “You know how your mother is about you wearing your over-robes.”

Luna stuck her tongue out and blew a raspberry.

Yami laughed, “No, I do not like it either, but it makes your mother happy.”

She sighed and reached for her guardian’s hand, having to hold it slightly above her head.  Luna had always been smaller than most girls her age, perhaps her birth family had been going through a hard time during that crucial first year, and she had not always had enough to eat.

To Luna, it felt like an eternity that she walked beside her guardian, and it felt as though they were going so slow!  Finally, after what seemed like forever, they reached a meeting room where Luna’s mother was leaning over a book, busily scribbling with a quill.  She stopped scrolling and sighed, obviously frustrated with what she was scratching at.

“Mommy!”  Luna yelled one of the few words she spoke with perfect clarity, throwing her arms out wide.  The queen turned and looked tiredly at the child. “Lunamis dear, I don't have time for this.  I need to go meet some people soon, and I need to finish this agreement your father wrote.  His handwriting is so terrible they couldn’t read a thing!”  Her mother smiled slightly, thinking of her husband’s chicken-scratch and how he insisted there were actually words and sentences amongst it.

Luna’s face fell into a confused look, her arms slowly lowering to her sides.  After a few seconds, not quite understanding her mother’s wishes, her arms flew up wide again with a cry of, “Mommy!”

Her mother looked down at what she was writing, “I do not have time Lunamis!  Now, please, be a dear and go play.”

Luna understood this time.  Her arms fell limp and her face cracked, “Mommy!”  She wailed taking a few steps toward her mother, tears brimming over her eyes.

Yami gathered the child into his arms but she resisted him, still calling for her mother.  “Your Majesty, we heard you had returned and-”

“And I’m sorry, but I’m quite busy.  I wish you had asked first, Yami, I need to get these things done.  Now you’ve gotten her upset.”

“She only wishes a short amount of time with you, it will not take but a few moments, I am only asking for a small amount... five!  Five moments of your time!”

“Yami!  I am busy.”  Her mother said, rubbing her temples, “Unlike you, my job does not concern playing with a child all day, I have a people to help run!  The child is your job, the people are mine.”

“How...” Yami asked in disbelief, shaking his head, “How can you be so callous?”  The queen stood, her eyes flaring up.  “All she wants is for you to hold her, for once!”

“Yami!  This agreement I am working on will help our economy greatly!  If I do not complete it, our trade with the northern Alchemists may cease to exist!  Do you know what that would do to us?”

“She is a child!”  Yami retorted, “She does not understand that!”  Madre quietly took the struggling girl from Yami, and walked out, the child still crying for her mother.

“For the last time” She said quietly, walking towards Yami, who by now had set his jaw and narrowed his gaze defiantly.  “Caretaking is what you do, ruling is what I do... get your head on straight.

“It is you who needs to get your head on straight, pardon me! He shouted, a very rare sight, “You wanted a child! You receive one and you do not spend any time with her!  She has always wanted you! Not Madre, not I, you!  Above everyone else!  If you can honestly tell that love-thirsty child to go away then you are nothing but a cruel, demented, witch!

Smack!  Yami stepped back, placing his palm against his burning, stinging cheek.  Not even Yami had seen it coming, the queen had just, in his eyes, proved the old phrase, “Hell hath no fury.”

The queen stood over him, her hand still raised as if to slap him again.  “How dare you!”  She shouted, “How dare you!”

Why did I bring her here?  He thought miserably.

Simple.  You have to do what Father says.  A little voice in the back of his head whispered, You have to do what He says.  Besides, He knows what will keep her safe. Things will get better.  Let Him take care of things.

Yami sighed, despising lying, “Yes, Your Majesty.”  He said through clenched teeth, his jaw still set, “I stepped out of bounds... forgive me.”  He glared at her, and in a soft voice tipped with a vicious poison, he said, “But hear me well.  If you will not love and care for this child, I will.  And if you ever... ever tell me that your word reigns over mind when it is in her interests... I will not obey!”

He turned and stormed out, going to calm his child.


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
Added on February 27, 2015
Last Updated on February 27, 2015
Tags: fantasy, mages, mage, magic, magick, series, good and evil, adventure, journey, romance ma