Chapter VIII: A Day to Remember

Chapter VIII: A Day to Remember

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance

"

Chapter VIII

A Day to Remember

He had just changed into his formal outfit. Rubedo looked down at the dark blue tunic and pants. He tapped his new black boots on the floor, and nervously touched the golden shirt buttons. His hat was off, his shaggy red hair sticking out in every which way. Nervously he ran his fingers through it, praying for the miracle of nicely kept hair.

His prayers were not answered - they never were.

He heaved a sigh, feeling unusually insecure. Rubedo picked up his cape, the back etched with the family seal his sister had so carefully embroidered into it with golden thread.

He felt the light material, awed at its quality. Azara had gotten some of the best silk for this cape.  He felt guilty, knowing silk cost a heavy amount of coins - but it was a fine cape!  The outside a dark blue, the inside a deep, silken, black. He threw his cape around, loving the swishing sound it made as it spun around.

Rubedo fastened it at the base of his neck.  At noticing the fine button made of the deepest black glass, he felt another pang of guilt.  Black glass was expensive too, only attainable near very active (and not to mention dangerous) volcanoes.  He wondered where his sister had gotten it.

He glanced nervously in the mirror a final time, trying once again to flatten his hair, especially the odd bits that stuck out the sides of his head.  Accepting his hair in all its messiness, he nodded in approval and spun on his heels and out into the corridor to meet Azara.

To his surprise, she had already come out of her own room and was waiting for him. It disturbed Rubedo slightly that his sister had gotten ready quicker than he did. She was wearing a dark blue dress, and a black cloak. Her dress, much like Luna's, was more form fitting than the usual dress, but still highly acceptable...except in her younger brother’s opinion, of course.

Azara smiled affectionately at him when he came into the hall, not being able to help but adore her handsome brother.

“My God, you look just like him!” She blurted. Azara had seen Rubedo’s father before, just once, moments before he had been executed.  She shook her head, adding hurriedly, “As far as looks go, that's a compliment, you’re not like him, it’s just-”

“Azara...” He murmured, cutting her off.

“I’m sorry.” She said immediately.

Rubedo offered her his arm, grinning his crooked grin at her. Laughing, she took it, glad her brother had bounced back from a potential bad mood.

At the sight of all the high-class people and the huge ballroom, Azara felt her brother shudder slightly from nerves.  She wanted to help, but was too nervous to even speak.

Back in the royal alcove, Yami gave Luna’s hand a reassuring squeeze.  “I will go announce you.” He whispered.  As he left she saw him tap his throat three times.  He looked back at her, smiling silently.

What is he doing?  Luna thought, smiling to herself as he walked through the huge doors into the ballroom.  He looked at the crowd for a few second, and then opened his mouth to speak.

“Good evening everyone!”  Everyone ceased talk immediately, surprised at the volume of his voice that had been magnified, seeming to come from everywhere in the room. Smiling, he taped his throat once. His voice was softer, but still reverberated from everywhere.

“It is my great honor to introduce to you, Alchemists, White Mages...” he laughed softly, “And Black Mages-” Whispers burst from the room; eyes flickered nervously towards the two dark blue dots standing towards the back.

Yami cleared his throat and the whispers stopped. “Her royal Highness, Princess Lunamis Rosemary Angelique XXI.”

Perfectly on her cue, Luna walked into the room and applause erupted, Rubedo's head jerked up violently. Doing a double take towards Luna, and snapping his head towards his sister, but quickly returning his eyes back to Luna.

Luna slowly descended the curved stairs with exceptional grace, her fingertips barely grazing the banister and her eyes on the crowd, a shy smile on her face and a soft blush on her cheeks. When she got to the bottom, she stood; her hands folded in front, and gave a small bow to the multitude.

“Thank you all-” Her voice was carrying the same way her caretaker's had. She gave him a surprised glance. Yami only smiled and urged her on with a nod.

“Thank you all for coming.”  She continued,  “I-I know many of you traveled across vast distances, even across oceans to see this ceremony. I hope it will be successful, a-and I...” Luna paused, shaking her head, “I hope you will all enjoy your stay here, and please make yourselves comfortable.”

She breathed deeply, “I would like to thank our musicians for the music they will provide for us.”  She waited for the applause to end before continuing.   “Jacqueus de Electus, I would like to thank for the preparation and performance of a fireworks show.”  More applause. “I would also like to thank the Alchemists for mixing the fireworks and other entertainment.”  She gave a final bow, “I hope you all will enjoy your night.”

Applause erupted throughout the ballroom, along with rapid talking in assorted tongues. Luna thankfully ducked into the crowd in search of her friends, finally finding them near the buffet table.

As she approached Cheryl and Roland (only experienced guards were on the job tonight, so new ones such as Roland were given the night off,) they smiled and complimented her on her performance.  Luna blushed happily, “Thank goodness that's over!  I thought I would faint!”

Roland smiled gently, “You did wonderful, Luna, l swear on my honor!”

“But Roland,” Cheryl said sarcastically, “That's such a small amount!”

Roland flushed deeply as Cheryl laughed at him. “Oh Rolly!” She said, clapping her hands, “We wouldn't say things like that if we didn't like you!  Right Luna?”

“What?”   Luna snapped out of whatever trance she was in, glancing over at her friend.

Cheryl rolled her eyes and laughed at her absent-mindedness. Roland looked at Luna, setting his jaw slightly, “Lunamis, I was wondering... if perhaps-”

“Oh, Luna!” Cheryl interrupted, "Where’s that Black Mage? Your savior?”

Luna glanced around amidst the crowd, disappointed, “I don't know... I sent him an invitation... I was hoping he would come...”

“I would almost swear on Roland's honor that I saw him...”

Roland rolled his eyes. “Probably couldn't fit you into his busy schedule of plundering elders and murdering orphans.”

“Roland!” Luna snapped, “He saved my life! If it weren't for him-”

As she continued to scold her friend, Rubedo stood towards the back of the room, feeling awkward in his dark attire.  His sister had taken to this a lot better than he, and was already mingling and chatting.  After excusing herself from a rather handsome Alchemist she walked back over to him, taking him by surprise.

“Rubedo!” Azara said, eyes glittering, “How about you ask her lovely lady White Mage to dance?”

Rubedo flushed, speaking so quickly from nerves he barely breathed, and temporarily forgot how to use punctuation.  “I-I have no clue where she is and I can't just wander around here looking for her that would look awfully strange I mean honestly besides she's probably-”

Azara pressed her hand over his mouth to stop herself from laughing at his babbling.  “I have an idea!”  She then grew more serious, resting her hands on his shoulders.  “Go find her, and ask her, or else I will make the rest of your life a living hell!”

Rubedo knocked her arm away, but began to scan the crowd. He walked in the direction he saw her disappear into and began his search.

Back among the group of young White Mages, the princess and rookie guard continued to bicker back in forth about the very man who was searching for them.

“Luna, really, you have more sense than this!”

Cheryl quietly backed away, trying not to get involved.  It was a set rule of hers to never get in between two friends fighting, doing that would only breed trouble.  “Really, a Black Mage?”

“He would never do anything like that!”  Luna snapped back, “And in case you didn't notice, he loves children! When he was staying here he was even playing with little Richard �" Mercurio's boy? He would never hurt a child!”

“What makes you so sure? Black Mages are just a lot of-”

“Just a lot of what?”  Roland spun around to the new voice, and decided then was a good time to stop talking when he saw Rubedo grinning at him.

“Rubedo!”  Luna ran up to him, stopping less than a foot away.  She had been so happy she nearly forgot her manners, and bowed quickly to make up for it. “I’m so happy to see you again!”

Rubedo gave a nervous laugh, “It is an honor to see you also Princess.”  He bowed the same dramatic bow he had used the first time he met her.  “You look lovely Princess Lunamis, and as we would say in my own tongue, decorus divinus.”

Luna laughed and blushed, not even bothering to wonder what decorus divinus meant.  “You're very handsome tonight Rubedo.” She smiled, “Of course, not that you weren't before. You’ve always looked handsome the other times I've seen you...tonight you just look even more so.”

Rubedo laughed, rubbing the back of his neck, “Well, thank you. But I speak true, you really do look simply ravishing tonight, Princess, on my honor.”

“You know, Black Mage.” Roland said, spitting out the phrase “Black Mage” with discontentment, “Not everyone here approves or enjoys you speaking to the Princess in this manner.”

“I believe.” Rubedo said with narrowed eyes, wondering how quickly he could get to his sword, “The manner in which I am speaking to Princess Lunamis perfectly acceptable.”

“Perhaps the culture of the Black Mages... is different than ours,”  Roland replied coolly, “In our culture you are very careful with what you say to a lady, making sure what you say is fit for a lady’s ears-”

“We are quite the same, Roland.  You treat ladies with the utmost respect in our society, no matter the age or lineage.”

“Apparently not, the way you’ve just left that woman you brought with you to her own devices-”

“That woman’ is my sister, and trust me she can take care of herself, that she can.”

“Would you even care if anything were to happen to her?”

“Roland!” Luna interjected, stepping in between them for the second time in her life (but surely not the last).  “You're being rude!  Stop antagonizing the guests!” Then she looked at Rubedo, her amethyst gaze softening, “Please Rubedo, don't be upset with him, Roland is a close friend of mine, he's just being a little overprotective...”

Rubedo thought “a little overprotective” was an understatement, but felt his annoyance dissolve in the softness in those beautiful eyes.  Smiling, he bowed to Luna, “If you wish it Princess, I will do so, that I will.” He laughed softly, “Besides, I know what it is like to be overprotective - I have a sister, remember?” Luna laughed, looking up at him locking his eyes with hers.

Cheryl gave Roland a meaningful look, gesturing towards Luna and Rubedo. Roland raised an eyebrow and shrugged, oblivious to what she was trying to tell him, but “accidentally” knocked Rubedo’s shoulder to snap him out of his trance.

“Lunamis.”  Luna's father placed a hand on Luna's shoulder, startling the group. “There is a man who would very much like to meet you. I believe it would be rude to sit here chattering with your...friends,while people who have come vast distances to see you are kept waiting.” Luna gave her friends an apologetic look, and regretfully went with her father, with a final look of regret over her shoulder.

“Damn.” Rubedo spat under his breath, “Damn, damn, damn.” He spun on his heels and walked towards his sister again, angry at himself for letting his chance of a dance slip.

“Did you hear him?” Roland said with disgust, “Flirting with her, saying all that...completely improper...”

Cheryl looked at him closely, “Roland, can you blame him? You have done it on more than one occasion.” A small smile lit her face, “Yet, she has never reacted towards you the way she did with the Black Mage, with a rosy blush on her cheeks and stars in her eyes...” She gave Roland a meaningful look, “Doesn't that tell you something?”

Glaring and spinning around, Roland also left to fume. Shrugging in her usual carefree manner she made her way to a group of White Mage girls, ready to gossip and share her theory of what was happening between Luna and Rubedo.

“It's an honor to meet you.” Luna said for about the hundredth time, bowing to a complete stranger when, in truth, she couldn’t care less about meeting them. All she had wanted to spend time with her friends and Rubedo, but she had barely gotten a chance. Every time she would try to slink away her father would grab her shoulder painfully and led her back. These people weren't even ambassadors or anything of the sort. They were suitors. She hated suitors. They all gawked at her, watching her mannerism and looks, keeping a close eye on everything she did and said.

“Father,” She whispered, “May I please go now?  The fireworks will be starting soon, and I really want to see them.  Yami worked so hard to prepare this for me, and I want to be able to be there with my friends...”

“Many of these people came across the ocean to see you, Lunamis!”  His father said through a false smile, “You can see your friends everyday, but this, this is a chance of a lifetime!”

“But this is my ceremony, isn’t it?  Shouldn’t I be allowed to spend it with who I please?”

Her father looked at her for a long time before answering. “Fine.” He snorted, clearly annoyed.  “If you wish to be rude and ignore your guests, go on.”

Giving her father an uncharacteristically nasty look, she walked into the crowd. She glanced back, delighted to see an astonished look on her father's face. Her delight made her feel awful - it wasn’t often she was so disrespectful towards her parents.  But then again, this was her celebration.  Shouldn’t she be allowed to spend time with whom she wished?

Not paying very much attention to those around her, Luna nearly bumped into Azara.  Startled, Luna began to say an apology, but the girl didn’t seem to mind.  She just smiled and bowed, “Oy! Good evening Princess! So you’re the lovely girl my Rubedo has been babbling about!”

Luna shook her head, an embarrassed smile curling her lips, “Oh I'm sure you're exaggerating, he doesn't seem like the type to babble.”

They both laughed, and Luna took a closer look at her.  She was the only other Black Mage here, and she guessed it was the sister that Rubedo had told her about, “Are you Azara?” she asked.

“The only.”  The girl laughed, winking at her.

“Rubedo told me about you. Don't worry, though, I didn't take much into consideration.  Brothers and sisters don't always tell the truth about one another. At least, Cheryl and her brother don't.”

Azara grinned, “He was right you know, you are very pretty.” Luna blushed and looked away shyly, “And modest!”  Azara exclaimed.

“Have you seen Rubedo?”  Luna asked, “I've been looking for him for a while.”

Azara looked around, “Just stay here one moment, Princess Lunamis-”

“Oh, call me Luna, or Lunamis if you prefer, hardly anyone calls me princess.”

“Alright then Luna,” Azara laughed, “He’ll be here any second now...well speak of the devil, there he is!”

Rubedo came into view holding two glasses, careful not to spill or allow them to be knocked from his hands by someone in the crowd. Luna was reminded of how handsome he looked, he looked wonderful in his attire, and that crooked smile was so striking.

When he saw Luna he almost dropped the glasses in surprise.  “P- Princess Lunamis? What are you doing here?” Luna laughed, causing Rubedo to flush, as though he had stayed out in the sun for too long.  “Shouldn't you be attending to your guests?” He asked nervously, the shock of her sudden appearance still not lifted.

She looked at him kindly, “You are one of my guests, Rubedo, a guest of honor I might add.” Rubedo nearly dropped the glasses again, flushing deeper. “Most of other guests were only people my father is trying to show me off to, they don't matter really to me. Where have you been off to?”

Rubedo distractedly handed Azara one of the glasses, “I was just getting my sister and I some wine.” he said weakly. “Would you like a glass Princess? I wouldn't mind going back.”

Luna shook her head. “No thank you, I shouldn’t.”

Rubedo felt his sister's elbow go roughly into his back, when he turned to glare at her she only jerked her head towards Luna.  “Ask her!” She whispered, “This could be your last chance! Ask her!”

Rubedo sighed, and trying to be as cool-headed as possible, offered Luna his hand, bowing deeply. “Princess, if I may be so bold... may I have the honor of a single dance?”  It felt like hours before he felt Luna's small hand take his own. He had been half-expecting for her to say no and reject him.

Azara watched her brother lead Luna onto the floor, enjoying the odd looks. The Princess of all White Mages is dancing with a Black Mage farm boy? She knew that was what everyone was thinking.

Azara smiled, Rubedo has a remarkable dancer when he felt the need.  She watched him guide Luna skillfully around the dance floor, and the Princess was clearly impressed.

The music was cut off when the building itself seemed to jump as a screeching noise reverberated in the building. Everyone looked up at the glass ceiling, just in time to see the first rocket launch into the sky. When it burst into vibrant sparks with a loud boom, people gasped. Azara stood, fascinated at the beauty of it all.  Unable to help herself she stole a quick glance at her brother. He and Luna's hands were still joined, the explosions enveloping their upturned faces with colored light.

There were so many!  Huge ones that exploded into star-like shapes, ones that merely screeched and disappeared into oblivion, some that scattered sparks onto one side.

Then as soon as they started, they stopped. People had begun to clap when what seemed like hundreds of the strange rockets flew into the air, thousands of colors and combinations. The grand finale.

Luna and Rubedo looked at each other with excitement, hands still joined as they were while they had danced. His on her waist, and Luna's on his shoulder.

Eventually, a final one shot off and fizzled out into oblivion. Applause thundered just as loud, if not louder than the fireworks. Luna and Rubedo had pulled away and were clapping.

“That was amazing!” Rubedo announced, “Eximius!”

“What does that mean?”  Luna yelled over the crowd.

“Superb! Incredible! Excellent! Whichever you like best!” Luna laughed, her eyes sparkling brilliantly as she looked up at Rubedo, their eyes locking a second time.

Rubedo stood, looking out the window of his room, thinking to himself as his sister sat on his bed and grinning an impish grin.

“Enjoyed yourself, little brother? “ She asked.

“That I did.” He looked up at her with a smile, “The music was wonderful, and the food and wine?  Simply superb �" especially the wine.  A bit weaker than I’m used to, it was, but good nonetheless.”

“Not to mention the lovely princess...”

Despite himself, Rubedo let a smile tug on the corners of his lips, “Azara...we talked about this...” Regardless of his words, the half smile widened into his usual lopsided grin.

Azara laughed, “Honestly, Rubedo, it's not like they’re going to burn you at the stake for just saying you have fond feelings for her.”

Rubedo frowned at his sister, “I do not have fond feelings for her.  Stop trying to make my life dramatic.”

“What do you mean dramatic?”

Rubedo shook his head, as if it were obvious, “Classic story Azara.”  He heaved a theatrical sigh and clutched his heart, “A Princess, a normal man-”

“Oh quit, I am not trying to make your life dramatic!”

“Separated by class and race, but oh �" true love conquers all!”

Azara laughed, “But you do like her, little brother.  And it seems she likes you too, that she does.”

Rubedo turned away and went back to looking out the window, “Just stop it, Azara.”

Azara looked at her brother, rose and stood beside him. “You know, it's been four years now... you can stop doing this to yourself.”

Rubedo didn't look at her, but out the window, hands grasped behind his back. “Doing what?”

Azara shrugged, “This entire self-punishment ritual. It’s time you stop blaming yourself, that it is.”

“I'm not blaming myself.”

Azara fixed her eyes on him, trying to get him to look at her. “Yes you are. You're trying to punish yourself with isolation �" you don’t let anyone close.”

He still didn't look at her, his eyes to the moon. “I’m close to plenty of people.”

Azara shook her head, “People you were close with before.  You keep everyone else at arm’s length,” She put her hands on his shoulder, “The only reason you didn’t completely isolate yourself from everyone you knew beforehand is because you knew it would hurt them… it’s the only thing good that came from this obsession.”

Rubedo looked back at her, “Quid?” He asked.

“Your obsession with pain.  You don’t want to cause it, so you allowed yourself to continue previous friendships and you’re still friendly with new people, but you don’t want that responsibility so you don’t let people too close.”  

“Yes I do.”

“Remember that sweet girl from Dellyn?  I thought for sure you’d marry her.  But the second you realized  how much you liked her you ended the whole thing.”

“It was more than that-” Rubedo started, but his pulled him into a hug.

“You’re so afraid of losing someone… then you punish yourself in one fail swoop by refusing to let that wound heal and separate yourself from the rest of the world as much as possible.”

“No I don’t.” He had become tense, she could feel his body growing rigid under her arms.

“Mother wouldn’t like this.”  She added softly, “Mother would… she would have wanted you to move on, not punish yourself.”

Rubedo pulled away from her embrace, “This isn't about mother.”

“Yes it is!”  She argued, grabbing his sleeve so he couldn’t walk away, “You still blame yourself-”

He turned to her, “I don't blame myself-”

“And you’re scared, Rubedo, you’re-”

“I’m not scared and I don’t blame myself!”  He snapped, jerking his sleeve away, “It wasn’t my fault!”

“I know it wasn’t, but you don’t!  You still blame yourself and you are scared!  You're scared as hell to care about people because you're afraid you'll lose them! Just because Mother-”

“I told you, d****t! This isn't about Mother!” He knocked her hands away.

She hated when he yelled at her like this.  It wasn’t the usual shout between siblings, it was more potent and angry, his final desperate attempt to force her to leave him alone. She reached out to him, trying to ignore the itching of impending tears in her eyes. “You didn't mean to Rubedo, it was an accident! You lost control, there wasn’t anything you could have done to stop-”

“Get out!” Rubedo yelled, “Just get the hell out of here!” The way I am isn't about Mother, or Lunamis, or you, or Father, or anyone! Alright? So just get the hell out!”

Azara listened.  Turning on her heels and tearfully storming out of the room. Rubedo sighed; he slid down the wall and placed his head in his arms. The guilt was still eating away at him.

Why couldn’t I save her?  He thought, I was right there.. how could I kill my own mother?

“I hate the way you’re always getting so bruised Rubedo. Please be a little more careful, you worry me so much sometimes!”

He smiled up at Mommy, the delicate skin around his blue eyes already blackening, “I’m sorry Mommy!” He said in a cheerful voice, “I’m just clumsy! I fall a lot.”

Mommy sighed.  “I hate it when you say that, I don’t know how that thought got into your head-”

“What thought?”

“That you’re clumsy.”  Mommy said, hugging him. “From what I've seen, you perform very gracefully on your feet. I've never seen you trip over ‘nothing' once.”

He felt the lump rise in his throat, “Nuh -uh...” He said quietly, “I’m clumsy...”

Mommy gently touched the tender skin near his eye. “Now how did this happen Rubedo? I know this wasn't from a fall.”

“I got into a fight...” he said hoping he sounded convincing.

Mommy looked at him, “With whom?”  She asked, “What was it over?”

“Viktor!”  He blurted out, feeling sorry for his gentle friend, who he may very well had just gotten into trouble.

“What did you two fight over?”  She said, obviously surprised Viktor would ever get into a fistfight.

“Um-”

“I-I don’t remember anymore... I... I probably said something stupid.”

“Mommy shook her head, “You don't say stupid things, love! Who told you that?”

He kept his mouth closed.  Father would get angry if he said anything... very angry.  “Um... oh yes, that’s right!” He said suddenly, “Viktor said that!  That’s why we got into a fight.”

“Well.” Mommy said, standing up, “If he’s saying mean things like that to you, I should talk to his mother.”

“No!”  He said hurriedly, “I-I mean, don’t worry Mommy, I can take care of myself!” He smiled reassuringly, “Viktor and I will just talk it out like gennelmen!”

Mommy laughed “Gentlemen, love. It’s pronounced Gentle-men.”

“Gentle-men.”  He laughed, trying out the new word.

Mommy smiled, “Now you go out and play Rubedo, Comitis is waiting for you. And be careful!”  She laughed, “Don't go breaking yourself a week before your birthday!”

As he turned to leave Mommy said one last thing, “And you be nice to her! Just because she is a girl doesn’t mean you can't play nicely!”  She heard him sigh heavily, “Besides,” she said, “Mommy’s a girl, and you aren't mean to me.”

He rolled his eyes, and yelled over his shoulders he dashed out the doors, “Mommy, you’re not a girl!  You’re a lady!

The night was getting chilly.  Even in the middle of spring, when the sun set and the breeze blew, late nights were always like this. She loved her brother so much, but she just needed to get away from him.

Azara strode towards the public archives, knowing no sane person would be in there at this hour.  She had heard that there was a much larger archive residing in the royal palace, but truthfully, she couldn’t imagine one larger than this one.

The smell of dust and old paper greeted her as she wrenched open the heavy doors.  She looked at the bookshelves upon bookshelves of records, journals, and diaries of the dead.  She was glad she had left her staff back at their room �" it felt good to have her arms free and she didn’t need a staff for just a little light making.  Closing her eyes, she gave her hand a gentle wave, whispering as she did so.  Nearby candles flickered to life, first the one’s closest to her, then spreading outward to the ends of the room and the chandeliers above, giving the room a soft, wavering light.

She sank into the first chair she came to, slouching and pressing her palms into her eyes until a purple light shone before them.

She hadn’t even heard the soft footsteps joining her in the room.  It wasn’t until the voice broke the silence that she knew he was there.

“Sometimes.”  The voice said, startling her.  “Though we do not mean to do things, you often feel as though you could, perhaps should, have done something to prevent it.”

She stood and noticed the man who had introduced the Princess �" the royal guardian.  He walked from behind a column, an ancient, thick book in his hands.  He closed it, dust blowing everywhere and obscuring his strangely bright eyes as he set them on her.  Green, not brown like most easterners.  His eyes bore into hers, not playing all over her as most men did.  

“Guilt is a horrible thing.  It binds us, holds you down while it eats away at you.  The thing will never give you peace, nibbling and nipping at you until you feel as though you have made amends.”

She couldn’t make herself speak, partially from being so startled at his sudden appearance, partly from the scope of his words, so deep and wise... and true.  She rose, looking at this man, still keeping her eyes on him as she bowed. “That is very wise, but... who exactly are you?”

The man laughed, even his laughter was deep and soft.  It had a soothing effect to it, warm and knowing.  “I am called Yami.  I am guardian to the Princess.  And you must be Azara, the sibling of Rubedo.”

Speechless yet again, Azara could hardly muster a nod.  “Yes... how did you know?  That we got into an argument?  I-I wasn’t talking to myself was I?  I could’ve sworn I was only thinking-”

He smiled, “I never said you got into an argument.”

“But you-”

“I said that guilt was a terrible thing.”

“How did you know-”

He cocked his head to the side, and then sat down in the chair opposite of the one she had occupied seconds before.  “He really does have a kind soul, your brother does.  He is a good man... well, close to a man.”  He looked in her eyes again, as though prodding her mind.  “You said something that truly bothered him, I think.  Perhaps such subjects dealing with...” He paused, “Perhaps those should be avoided.”

After looking at her in silence for a long while, the man rose again.  “Are you alright?”  He asked softly, “When we are not used to a certain person shouting at us, when they do, it can be extremely upsetting.”

“I...”  Azara finally found her voice again, “Yes, I’m fine now... thank you... but how do you-”

His smile cut her off.  Even this man’s smile seemed to be a voice all its own, speaking without opening his mouth.  “When you look into a person’s eyes, you can tell many things...”

She realized that what he said was true.  She bowed to him, “Thank you...” she said in a soft whisper.

The man looked kindly at her.  “When I am not with Luna, I spend much of my time here in the archives, or the palace archives, if I’m closer.  If you ever need to speak, please, do not hesitate to stop by any of those points.”

Azara looked up at him and nodded silent.  Yami laughed, “Oh dear, it looks as though I have frightened you a bit.”  He touched her shoulder lightly.  “Forgive me, I did not intend it.”  With a slight nod, he turned to leave, his cloak swishing about him.

“Wait!”  Azara caught up with him and took one of his hands, a common gesture of thanks in the Black Mage community.  She squeezed it gently, “Thank you again... so much.”

“You are welcome, it was my pleasure.”  With a final bow she smiled at him and left the archives.

Yami smiled to himself and glanced at the hand she had taken.  He picked up the old book again, opened it to the same page, and disappeared the way he came.

“You upset your sister greatly.”

With a cry of “The hell?”  Rubedo spun around, his staff aimed at Yami’s chest.  When seeing who it was, he relaxed and lowered his weapon.  “Sorry.”  He said, not actually sounding sorry at all.  “What the hell are you doing here at this hour?  D****t, do you enjoy walking up behind people and scaring the living hell out of them?”

Yami ignored his remarks and looked at the boy, seeming to studying him.  The boy shuddered as he did so.  “What did you fight about?”  He asked.

That, I believe, isn’t any of your business.”  Rubedo shot back.

Yami smiled at the comeback. He continued to watch him, “She was crying.”

Rubedo slowed his pace and softened his expression slightly, but quickly regained his speed and reapplied a scowl.  “So?  She should watch what she says.”

“That is cruel.”  Yami argued, “And you do not really think that.  Did she mention your parents?  Or was it the mention of your father?”

Rubedo spun to face him, his temper flaring, “You shut the hell up!  I have no clue what she told you about our pasts, but she had no right!  And you have no right to repeat it!”

“Your father was different from hers-” Yami continued.

“Stop!”

“-and her father hated you for it-”

“D****t I said stop that!”

Yami seemed deaf to him, “But when you tried to seek revenge on your father, you lost con-”

Yami was cut off mid-sentence when Rubedo’s fist slammed into his mouth, hard enough to knock Yami to the ground. Rubedo was shaking with obvious rage, it seemed Yami had prodded too much at a tender spot.

“You son of a b***h!”  He panted, “You have no right... no damn... right… may you burn in hell!”

Yami rose, an expression not of anger, but of sympathy.  He wiped blood from his lip nonchalantly.  “You need to accept the truth, Rubedo.  Your mother would not like this.”

“Look!  I’ve been handling this fine for the past four years. I haven’t -  don’t need a goddamn sage or whatever the hell you are to tell me what to do!”

“You really shouldn’t use that particular curse, Rubedo.” He said blandly.  Yami rose and grabbed Rubedo’s shoulders painfully tight so he couldn’t hit him again.  “Now, I need you to listen close-”

“Since when did you have the authority to order me around?”

“I need you to listen closely Rubedo.”  The boy struggled for a while, but gave in as Yami’s impossibly tight grip held true.

“You b*****d.”

Yami ignored the comment.  “I need you to listen.  Are you listening?”

“Yes...”

“Good.”  At that, Yami gave Rubedo a hard strike on the side of the head, knocking him down onto the road.  Rubedo sat up in shock, shaking his head so the lights flashing before his eyes disappeared.  “Sorry.” Yami said, “An eye for an eye.”  He offered a hand, and Rubedo grasped it and allowed Yami to pull him up.  As he did so Yami dusted off the boy’s dark coat.  “Now that that is over and done with I suggest that you come with me, only for a moment.”

Rubedo, still in shock over finding himself on the ground, could only nod.

“Oh, and Rubedo.”  Yami turned back to look at him, “Bring the wolf pup you plan to give to Luna and meet me at the front gate of the ballroom.  We are in need of your talents in the horse shelter.”  He turned and started towards the meeting point.  “Now go back to your quarters and bring the pup, I will wait for you.”

After meeting him at the gate, Yami had ordered one of the house help to deliver the pup to Luna’s bedroom.  He had decided it would be a wonderful surprise for her to wake up to a little white puppy sniffing around her room.  A string had been tied around its neck, proclaiming the pup’s name and who it was from.

However, the wiggling bundle of fur was the last thing on Rubedo’s mind.  He was squatting beside a thinning horse lying on its side, studying the pitiful thing.  “So...” He said, confirming what he had been told.  “You’re saying she just stopped eating?”

“Y-yes.”  A confused stable boy stuttered, still wondering why Princess Lunamis’ guardian had told him that this... this Black Mage could save this horse.  He had been told to do whatever he asked and answer all questions truthfully.

He had been sour enough when he was dragged out of bed at this godforsaken hour, and even more so when he learned he would have to take orders from a Black Mage.  However, this man was older than he, and last the last thing the stable boy wanted was to pick a fight with a Black Mage.  That was asking for trouble.

The Black Mage nodded, then lifted the horse’s head up to get a better look at her.  The poor thing’s eyes were blank and devoid of the usual soul and gentleness that they had once possessed.  They seemed to stare right through Rubedo at the rafters on the ceiling, or perhaps the sky beyond.

Rubedo pressed his forehead against the horse’s and immediately felt a surge of thoughts, instincts, and emotions hurtle into his mind.  “Listening,” was good for this, but it was difficult to sort out to the thoughts you wanted, and this poor horse’s thoughts were so incoherent and sporadic it was hard to find what he needed, being bombarded with so many other thoughts at once.

After a few moments he spoke to the boy, sitting up and looking at the horses vacant eyes.  “She recently lost a foal... am I correct?”  The stable boy managed a bewildered nod, not understanding how this man had known.  “Well no wonder...” The Black Mage said, his expression soft, “A mother’s worst nightmare.”  He rose, dusting the dirt from his hands and looking at the stable boy. “Has there been a foal abandoned?  Or an orphaned one?”

Still put off by Rubedo’s obvious abnormality, the boy’s thoughts were nearly as random as the horse’s, and he could barely murmur a “Um-”

“Come on boy!”  Rubedo said irritably, “Think - you’re in charge of them, you are!”

“Th-the left pasture sir!”  He finally stuttered, “A foal’s mother died recently, we tried to get another horse to take it, but it wouldn’t, and the Princess won’t let us put him down-”

Good job Princess.  Rubedo thought, “How old?”

“About a month sir!”

That should be about the same age, it might work.  “Go and get it.”  He said, “I have an idea.”

Within the next half hour the boy returned with a rather unhappy foal that didn’t seem to appreciate being carried and shouted at as the stable boy was.  It had probably been being fed by stable hands, and seemed strong and frisky.  It shot a glare to Rubedo and flattened its ears, skittering around in circles.  After getting the foal calm Rubedo lead it towards the sick horse.  When it gave no reaction he, once again, pressed his forehead to hers, murmuring under his breath.

Rubedo let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding when the horse rose as much as she could and gave the foal a nudge, causing the foal start and jump up wildly.

“Well then.”  He said, dusting off his pants and pulling his coat off a nearby hook, “My work here is done.”  He got up and faced the stable boy.  “You will need to feed the foal whatever you have been until the mother gets her strength back. Feed her mostly grain, you may need to crush it very finely so it’s easy to swallow, and make sure she drinks plenty-”

The boy leaned against the wall, wishing he had something to write down all these instructions. God could that man talk!  After nearly five minutes of instructions the Black Mage left the stables (“Thank God...” the stable boy had mumbled).

After reporting back to Yami, Rubedo returned to his room sleepily, knowing very well he would get a good rest tonight.

Dearest Princess Lunamis,

I thought you would This is a gift I Her name is Aliqu.  If you wish to change her name you may do so freely I’m sure she wouldnt you are welcome to (thought I think she’s grown a bit fond of it).  My sister and I rescued her, and I hoped thought she would make a wonderful gift to you.  She is very loving (as you’ve probably already noticed), very playful, and very loyal.  She will protect you vivaciously if you are ever threatened I pray you will never need her for that, Creator forbid.  I hope you like the gift her, and I wish you bright days and pleasant nights.

Love From Sincerely,

Rubedo Patronu

PS I hope very much to see you again soon, perhaps before or after the ceremony?  I will be by your side there to support you fully.

Luna read the letter a second time, trying to see what he had scratched out, but was unable to decipher the original words through the scribbled ink..  She wondered why so much was edited out.  He spoke so well it seemed he wouldn’t have trouble with a letter.  Her attention was quickly drawn back to the small white pup standing on her bed, its tail wagging energetically.

A smile blew across Luna’s lips as she leaned and stroked the dog’s soft coat.  The puppy’s tail wagged harder as it bound into Luna’s lap and licked her face.   She laughed as she lifted the dog off her lap, setting it on her bed as she rose.  She went towards the door, turning back and looking at the little dog.

“Come on Aliqu!”  She called.  At the sound of her name Aliqu’s ears perked up and she bounced towards Luna with a prancing gait, her tail curled forward and swing from side to side.

With the pup at her heels she went to the kitchen, where Madre and Yami would surely be preparing breakfast.  When she saw the two of them talking while Madre stood over a pot, waving a ladle as she talked, Luna picked Aliqu up and grinned at Yami.

“Yami!”  Luna exclaimed, “You knew about this, didn’t you?”

Her eyes sparkled with such radiance Yami couldn’t help but laugh.  “Who do you think put her in your room Lunamis?  Surely not Rubedo!”

Luna laughed and nuzzled the puppy, “She’s adorable!  Do you know where Rubedo is staying?  I want to thank him personally!”

Yami shook his head, “He is most likely exhausted Luna, he was up until the wee hours of the morning.”

Luan raised her eyebrows, “Why?”

“Helping with your mother’s horse, he has a very special gift with animals.  He did well, the horse should be recovering.”

“That’s good...” Luna murmured, looking thoroughly disappointed.  She held up the letter from Rubedo, “He said he’d be at my ceremony, I hope so...” She lowered her eyes, “Yami, I’m so anxious.”

Her guardian cupped her face in his hands, “Do not worry, mon joyau précieux, you will do everything perfect.  I know it.”

Luna nodded, closing her eyes, “I suppose...” She changed the subject, “How will everyone be able to understand the ritual?  It’s in the White Mage tongue...”

Yami smiled, “That is already taken care of, I will translate for those who do not understand.  Now go the dining room and eat your breakfast so you can change into your ceremonial robes.  Everyone will be waiting for you soon.”

“Yes Yami.”  Luna answered, smiling at him before walking towards her room, Aliqu at her heels.

When she had gone Yami heaved a sigh, and proceeded to the coliseum.  The day would be long, and the evening would be terrible.  He could only pray he was ready to do what he was ordered to do.


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
Added on February 11, 2015
Last Updated on February 11, 2015
Tags: fantasy, mages, mage, magic, magick, series, good and evil, adventure, journey, romance ma