Chapter IV Off to the Capital

Chapter IV Off to the Capital

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance

"

Chapter IV

Off to the Capital


Luna shifted in the rigid chair as she studied for her Betrothal Ceremony.  Though she would not be betrothed during the ordeal, the ceremony was to confirm she was no longer a girl, but a young woman.  A council of elders would judge her; it would be hard and complicated. If she passed, her study of magik continued, she would become heir to the throne, and the search would begin for her future husband.

The book was ancient, dating back hundreds of years. She gazed into the thick, heavy pages, barely taking in a word she was reading.

Oh great Spirits from beyond, Spirits of Light, Shadow, Air, Water, Flame, Earth, and Time...

“Little Luna, I thought I would find you here!”

Luna snapped her head up, turning around to see the smiling face of her guardian as he walked into the archives.  He took the book out from under her and put it back onto the shelf, then turned and smiled at her, “I believe it would be a good idea for you to go into the sitting room with your parents for a short while.  I will join you shortly, but I must retrieve something important.”

Luna raised her eyebrows in question - Yami never asked her to spend time with her parents unless there was some important announcement.  Had they prematurely picked her future husband?

Nodding, Luna rose and made her way to the sitting room. Her parents were sitting on a couch, speaking in their business-like manner. Luna curled up in her favorite chair and nestled into its soft cushions, debating whether or not to pull a book from the nearby shelves.  It seemed like hours before Yami returned, this time with Madre, who stood beside Luna and put her hands on the girl's shoulders, kissing the top of her head affectionately.

Yami set a box on a table, looking around at all of them.  Luna burst out suddenly, her eyes shining brightly.  “Is all that from Egypt, Yami?” When her guardian nodded Luna's smile grew wider, “Did you see the pyramids? Oh Yami! What was it like?  Did you meet the Pharaoh? Or did they have a Queen? I heard they allow women to lead the country, husband or not! How queer! That's where the original Academy is isn't it? Was that man there? The one you were telling me about - Jacqueus, was it? Isn't he headmaster at The Academy? Oh, you’re so lucky Yami-”

Laughing, Yami covered Luna's mouth with his hand, ignoring the disapproving glares from her parents,  “Little Luna! I cannot answer so many questions at once! Allow me to think for a moment!” After a short pause Yami answered her questions, one by one.

“I did see the pyramids; I even blessed the tomb of a passed soldier.  Egypt is very hot, but lovely none the least. I did indeed meet the Pharaoh; he is an honorable man, very kind.  You would like him. They do allow a woman to be a queen without a king...”

Luna leaned forward, her chin resting on her hands, amethyst eyes sparkling with marvel and wonder as he spoke, “The original Academy does reside there, no I did not see Jacqueus, and yes he is the headmaster at The Academy.” Breathing in deeply, Yami laughed and briskly clapped his hands twice. “I will answer more questions later, I have brought back many things!” He reached into the bag and brought out a wooden box with intricate carvings swirling around its exterior. “For Madre,” he opened the box, revealing an extensive arrangement of jars, “A collection of rare herbs and spices, found only in Egypt.”

“Oh, they’re wonderful!  My sweet little lamb, thank you!”

Smiling, Yami moved on, “For his majesty, a staff of magik used by the Pharaoh's most trustworthy guards.” He withdrew a large staff from the box, (Luna began to wonder how such a small box could hold such a long staff). It was a staff of stone, not wood. It was carved beautifully with gold inlay. A stone of yellow rested on the top.  Her father was quite a collector of staff's from other mage clans, and went on about its intricateness and beauty for days after.

After presenting a lovely golden-colored cape to the queen, Yami turned and look toward Luna, smiling. “Last but not least, to mon joyau précieux.”

He pulled a silver chain out of the box, letting it slip between his fingers. The links were so small and smooth that it looked like a cord of pure silver. Affixed to the chain was a circular pendant, strange symbols engraved into it. Fixed into the middle was an eye.

“The symbols you see are called hieroglyphics, Luna, the written language of the Egyptians. The eye, as you know, symbolizes the powers of the will and mind.  The pupil is crafted from onyx, the iris from jade.” He gave Luna a meaningful look, “It is said to be able to produce magic not unlike that of a Black Mage.  An onyx stone is very powerful.”

Luna took it, gazing at it and stroking the smooth chain, “Oh, Yami, it’s beautiful!”

Her guardian smiled at her, carefully affixing it to her neck, “Perfect for my most beautiful treasure.”

One by one, the room emptied as everyone retired for the night.  Luna feigned interest in a book while her family trickled out, her own curiosity keeping her rooted to her chair despite her own heavy eyes.

Luna threw the book aside the second she was alone, going to the door to be sure that nobody was coming back.  Satisfied that she was alone, Luna went straight to the small box, picking it up and examining it.  It was small �" no bigger than a hat box.  She scrutinized its wooden surface, feeling along the edges for a hinge or a trapdoor that could have connected to the table Yami had set it on.  Her guardian had always enjoyed a good joke, and it wouldn’t be the first time he had made something simple seem extraordinary.   But the box was smooth and solid, seemingly carved from a single block of wood.

Luna frowned and put it back on the table, hands on her hips as she thought.   She reached into it, her entire arm disappearing into its maw as she continued to grab at empty air.  Luna glanced at a nearby bookcase, smiling to herself as she pulled out her most despised study books.  One by one she dropped them into the box, her ears perked for a landing thump.

She heard no thump.

Cocking her head to the side, Luna stared at the box in frustration.   She glanced around the room a final time, listening carefully to the movements of the guards outside.  The one assigned to the hallway had just passed by the door, guaranteeing her a few moments of solitude.   She grabbed the box and sat down in her chair, putting it on the floor and carefully putting one foot into it.

Luna hesitated and glanced around  again �" she would feel silly if someone walked in on her attempting to climb into such a small box.   Steeling herself and keeping a tight hold on the couch, Luna lowered herself into the box, her feet struggling in vain to find solid ground.

She was up to her waist when she decided that enough was enough.  Pulling herself out from this angle proved to be a larger ordeal than she anticipated, and she struggle to get her elbows onto the chair.  She yelped as she slid on the cushions silk cover, barely managing to grab the sofa leg with one hand.  Terror ripped through her �" how deep was this box?  To her dismay her hand started to slip, dropping her into the box with a shocked cry.

The fall was quicker than she imagined, and it seemed no sooner had she fallen that she slammed onto the hard ground. She struggled up, detangling her dress from her legs and stumbling over a pile of books as she examined the blackness around her.  Luna looked up, expecting to see a neat square of light with a view of the sitting room ceiling, but any evidence of an opening was gone.

“Yami!” She yelled, gasping for air with shaking breaths, “Yami help! How do I get out? Yami!”

A light-hearted chuckle came from the darkness around her. “Mon joyau précieux, did curiosity get the best of you?”

“Yami!”

“Hold on little one, I will get you out.” At that Luna felt an unseen arm grab her and pull her up.  As her sitting room came into view Luna sunk to the floor, shaking.

Yami kneeled down next to her, “Curiosity killed the cat you know.”

Luna looked at him, shaking her head “No… I didn't know.”

Yami laughed, and leaned down to wink at her, “However, it is also said that satisfaction brought it back.  Is your curiosity satiated?”

She nodded weakly, “I’m sorry.”

“There is no need for you to apologize, my darling.”  He said with another laugh, “After all, do you think I would leave you alone with anything dangerous?  I know you far too well for that!”

He walked her to her room, staying by the door for a bit to make sure she was indeed asleep and not planning any more escapades. Yami went back into the sitting room, dumped the contents of the box onto his floor and tossed the box up and down a few time, smiling to himself.

Luna would search all around the castle for years to come, but she would never find the box again.

“Aye, aye! This looks important!” Rubedo looked up at his sister who held a thick envelope in her hand, “Look at this, Rubedo, the parchment is good and heavy - and just look at the ink!” It was gold, glinting and shining in the golden sunlight coming through the window behind him. It looked like very expensive, very rare ink, the type only found in the east.

“Looks like something from royalty, eh sister?” He commented, studying the odd envelope.

“Aye, little brother, it is.” She looked at him, “And it's addressed to you, they even spelled your name right! Look, R-U-B-E-D-O not R-U-B-Y-D-O-E, like most people try to spell it!”  She offered it to him, “There's a wax symbol on the back.  White wax, that it is, the symbol of the White Mage royal family.”

Rubedo snatched it away from his sister and tore it open, pulling out another piece of fine parchment.

Azara gave him a wary look, “What have you done?”

“Hush hush! I'm thing to read!”

Dear Rubedo Patronus:

You have cordially been invited to attend Princess Lunamis Rosemary Angelique XXI’s Betrothal Ceremony. There will be a ball and feast held in her honor on the Spring Equinox.

This is a formal event and we ask all to dress and act accordingly.

The Betrothal Ceremony is an extremely important even in Her Highness’ life, and we ask you to come.  These invitations were given specifically to the Princess’ personnelle’s list.  You may bring one other person.

Please consider attending.

Roland Malchanceux

Scribe and Guard of the Royal Family

And in a much different

handwriting at the bottom:      


Rubedo, please come!  It would be an honor for you to attend!

-Lunamis

For a few moments Rubedo stood where he was and re-read the letter a few times over. After a short time he smiled widely, realizing that: one, he was apparently invited by Princess Lunamis herself, and two, she had taken the trouble of writing an extra “please” on the bottom of the letter.

“Well?” His sister's voice interrupted his blissful thoughts, “What's it about?”  He grinned at her. Then shook his head and got up, making his way to his room.

“Well?” She insisted, “Come off it, Rubedo what's all this about? Are you going to be arrested?” He was packing up when she entered his room; filling his knapsack with clothing, “Quit ignoring me! Rubedo, what did you do?”

He looked at her, still smiling, “I don't have a formal outfit do I?”

His sister shook her head wonderingly, “No...why?”

“Damn!” He replied cheerfully.

“Rubedo! What is going on?”

Rubedo smiled mysteriously and handed her the letter. His sister's blue eyes darted from side to side as she read, her furious expression melting into one of excitement. “

Oh, Creator!” she exclaimed, “You’re...going to...this is so amazing Rubedo!” He blushed, grinning sheepishly, “Oh! You’re on the personnelle list, Rubedo!” She grinned broadly, “How did you manage that?”

Shrugging, he glanced away from his sister, “It's been so insane since I came back, and with the Humes coming in and all that... I haven't had a second to tell anyone anything!” He sighed, and sat down, trying to give his sister the condensed version of the recent months.

When he had finished Azara plucked the letter from his hand, shaking her head as a smile crept to her face, “This...is the best thing to happen to this family for years!” She grabbed her brother's arm, “There's so much to do! We must get you a formal outfit, then I’ll need to sew the family symbol on it, then...”

“This.” Rubedo sighed, “Is precisely why I didn't want tell you for a while.”

Azara smiled,  “Yes, yes, and that’s why you made such a show of being mysterious, that it is!”

An unsure smile flickered on her brother’s face.

“I’ll make you a deal, Rubedo.”  She offered, sensing his hesitation, “Allow me take your measurements and I will make the entire outfit without a single bother.”

The young man studied his sister, shrugged, and offered his hand, “Alright, then.  Just please Azara, don't make me look like an idiot.”

“Now why would you say that?”

“I have a nasty memory of walking about with boats for boots during my Coming of Age Ceremony.”

“Oh you were fine!”  She tossed her raven hair and grinned, “I'll make you look marvelous!  After all, if you want to impress the Princess...”

“Shut it, you.  It's not like that.”

She laughed and clapped her hands, “Aye, and that is why your face is blushed with roses!”

He scowled, “My sister has been reading too many love stories.”

“Aye, I see.”  Azara said with a shrug, “If that’s the way you’re feeling about all this than I suppose I won’t need to make too much of an effort-”

“Oy, this is a high-class party!”  Rubedo argued, “I don’t want to be going there looking plain, I don’t!”

Azara leaned down and kissed her brother’s cheek, “Something to catch the eye of the fair lass �" I’ll do my best, Rubedo, that I will.”

“Mon joyau précieux, you look lovely.”

Luna stood in front of her guardian and nurse, donned in what she would wear to the ball.  A snow-white robe, decorated with gold feathering designs along the cuffs and along the hem,  curving upward and around her waist. The sleeves were fitted to her elbows, flaring and covering her hands so only the tips of her slender fingers could be seen.

Luna looked at herself in a looking glass, unsure. “I don't know...” she murmured skeptically.  This robe was different than her others.  This one showed her figure in a way she wasn’t used to. Not much perhaps, but unlike her others, you could clearly see a curve in her waist.

“Don't you think it’s a little too... ostentatious?”

Madre clapped her hands excitedly and laughed, “Oh no-no-no Lunamis - you look beautiful! Besides, you're a young woman now; you can flaunt your pretty little shape a bit more!”

Luna blushed crimson and Yami closed his eyes, disliking the fact that his little Luna wasn't so little anymore.  Her nurse continued, “Oh it seems only yesterday Yami brought you to the palace! You were so little then, hardly even walking! Only speaking in those adorable little chatters!” Luna caught Yami's eyes and rolled her own, giving him a smile. Yami did the same, his green eyes shining vividly.

As Madre continued to prattle on and on over her, Luna gazed into the looking glass again, still unsure. She turned to her guardian, “Yami, what do you think?”

After looking intently at Luna for a few seconds he nodded, “Like I said before, you look lovely.”

“You don’t think it’s too…”  She paused, looking at her reflection, “It feels inappropriate.”

Yami smiled, “As your guardian, Lunamis, I do not like the idea of you becoming a woman… but as a person that appreciates beauty I can assure you that it is perfect.”

Luna looked at them both and nodded.  “Perhaps you’re right... yes, I trust you both!”  Smiling now, Luna stepped away from the mirror, “I think I’ll change back into my usual robes now.” She said, then hesitated slightly, “I won't have to wear this all the time... will I?”

Laughing merrily Madre shook her head, “Oh of course not! Those are just for formal occasions!”  Her trickle of laughter turned into a gale as Luna heaved a relieved sigh.

After changing, Luna realized she hadn't seen Rubedo all day.  She spent a few minutes looking around the castle, but gave up after a short while �" he would show up eventually.  She walked to her room, stretching slightly as she walked up the stairs.  It had been a long day, perhaps she’d retire for a bit.  She stumbled over the note as she went to her room, picking it up and reading the disappointing news.

So he was gone.

Luna blinked rapidly, fighting tears.  It had been so long since she had met somebody to talk to.  Her friends were few and far between �" her parents were so protective of who she associated with, and most of her friends were so busy!  Priestess duties kept Cheryl and Beryl constantly occupied, and Roland was usually thinking about the best way to get a promotion in the guard ranks �"

Roland!

She had asked him to make the invitations, with his neat and precise handwriting.  She took off towards the guard’s quarters in search of her friend.  Roland shouted in protest as she barged in, red-faced as he stumbled over his words, “Luna!  Wha-what are you doing here? You're not supposed-”

Luna ignored him, “How many people did you say could have Personnelle invitations?”

He gave her a quizzical look, fumbling with some papers on his desk, “Thirty...why?”

Luna clapped her hands once and smiled - she had only issued twenty-eight. “I believe I know who the last two should go to.”

Roland grinned and got out a pin, scrambling for a scrap of blank parchment,  “Who?”

“Rubedo Patronus!”

“What?”

“Your Highness! What are you-”

“- and whoever he chooses to bring along with him!”

“-thinking? He's a Black Mage!”

Luna rolled her eyes, “Oh Roland!  This is my ceremony; I should be able to invite anyone I choose!”

“Not if he’s a murderous-“

“He isn't murderous!”  She snapped, crossing her arms.

“Oh, he's not?  What proof do you have?”

Luna narrowed her eyes, “Roland, he’s been here for days.  Had he been a raving murderer as you believe I would have been disposed of long ago.”

“What makes you so sure?” Roland snapped, “For all you know, this is some elaborate attempt to hurt you! You’re a princess, Luna!”

“And?

“And you are in a position that puts you at risk!”  He argued, “We don’t know anything about him �" not really �" just his word, and he’s a Black Mage!”

“Not all Black Mages can be bad, I can’t believe that!”  She said with a shake of her head, “He’s been so kind to me.”

Roland glared stubbornly at his desk, “Of course he has!  It’s likely he was hired by somebody to-” He shook his head viciously, “No, I won’t do it.  He will not be receiving an invitation �" in fact, I’ll bar him from the ceremony!  I’ll pass a description to every guard to be sure he never steps foot in this city again!”

Luna looked ready to cry.  “That’s not fair, Roland!  He’s done nothing wrong!”

Roland stood, looking into Luna's eyes, “Why can't you understand I'm doing all this for your well-being?  I don't want anything to happen to you, if something did, I-”

“I want him to come.” Luna replied stubbornly, “I don't care what you think of him, I want Rubedo to come.  I’ll write the letter myself if you don’t!”

After a long silence, Roland fell into his chair began to write, looking as though every stroke of the brush pained him greatly. When he finished, Luna leaned over him, taking the brush out of his hands, and writing a quick message of her own. She hugged her friend and laughed, thanking him before dashing off to tell Yami.

“Don't tell me you're leaving again, big brother, you just got back!” Rubedo glanced down at the voice, smiling at the girl staring up at him indignantly.  Clair had called him brother ever since he could remember, despite being a distant cousin. The four year old’s challenging stare fell into one of beseeching, melting his heart. “Big brother, please don't leave me...”

Rubedo leaned down and patted the girl's blonde curls, “I have to go, I already sent the letter saying I would attend the ball.  Besides,” He jerked his head towards his sister, “I think Azara would roll over and die if she didn't get to go!” The little girl laughed, and wrapped her arms around Rubedo's waist.

“Okay, but you must promise, you'll come back really really really really,” She took a deep breath, “Really really soon, that you must!”

Laughing Rubedo picked up the little girl, “I swear it Clair, I won't be away too long!”

Then from the distance, “Clair! Are you harassing poor Rubedo again?”

“She’s not harassing me, I don't mind a bit!” He looked down, drawing a peal of giggles as he rubbed noses with her.

“Dash on!”  Azara shouted from her horse, “We need to hurry if we want to get to the ball on time so you can sweep her fair lady White Mage off her feet! Dash on, dash on!”

Giving Clair another quick hug, he mounted his horse, shooting his sister an admonishing glare, “I do not wish to, as you put it, 'sweep her off her feet'. I’m attending the ball because I was requested.  I should be a gentleman, that I should, don't you agree?”

Azara rolled her eyes, “Stop acting, Rubedo, you've been awfully distracted as of late - wandering around in your own little cloud of bliss and love!”

He grinned, “I suddenly went from just wanting to 'sweep her off her feet' to being in love with her, I have?”

Azara gently urged her horse on with a coo of its name. “Pardon me if I seem too prying Rubedo, but it seems to me that you’re awfully fond of her.  First, you go out of your way to go to this ball - a two and a half week trip, it is -  then, you insist on having the family seal sewed to perfection on the cape of your formal outfit.  You’ve been so fussy about it!”  She laughed, “And you’ve always mocked people who fret over their clothes!”

Rubedo closed his eyes, “I only want to look respectable, Azara.  We will be among royalty and high-class White Mages and Alchemists.  I want to prove to her-”

His sister grinned.

“Her people, that we Black Mages can be just as cultured and refined as any White Mage can.  I'm tired of so many people hating us because of an episode over a hundred years ago...” He lowered his eyes slightly, “The Black Mages didn't even have anything to do with it...it was those damned Darks...”

Azara watched her little brother as he continued, “Remember what our study books said, Azara?  How things were before that episode? Black Mages served as bodyguards for all races, Humes, Alchemists - hell, even White Mages royalty...”

Azara sighed, “That was then, Rubedo, this is now.  Our powers are generally destructive, it was only a matter of time before fear took its grip.” She grinned, perking up slightly, “Don’t fret though �" we’re still in good standing with the Alchemists, that we are!”

Rubedo rolled his eyes, “Is anyone in bad standing with the Alchemists?”

She laughed and shrugged, “They don’t quarrel, Rubedo.”

“You must admit they are a very queer people...” He asserted.

Azara smiled, “Yes but so much fun!” She giggled, “And some of the most charming men I’ve ever met.”

Rubedo gave his sister a disapproving glare. She responded by blowing a kiss.

It was dark by the time the Patronus siblings found a good spot to make camp. While Azara unloaded their sleeping mats Rubedo commenced to lighting a fire. It was a nice camping spot, plenty of soft grass, shade, and a small stream meandering north.

Thirteen alchemic matches later (and a frustrated Rubedo bursting the logs into to flames with magik) they had a roaring fire going.  Azara sat and laughed as her younger brother struggled to put more logs on the inferno, having blown most of them to ash.  Rubedo glared at her when he had finally feed the blaze to its full.

“I'm sorry Rubedo!” She gasped between laughs, “See? That's why you shouldn't let that temper of yours get so out of control! You kill trees, and rocks, and chickens, and chicken coops-“

“Can we please stop talking about that?” Rubedo hissed, cutting his sister off in mid-sentence, blushing with embarrassment. “It was once, okay? Once!”

Azara laughed again and Rubedo continued to glare at her.  Her laughter was quickly snuffed when a noise rustled in the brush.  Both became quiet and looked at one another anxiously.  Slowly Azara rose, her brother rising silently after her. Azara was the first to see it, a very small, white dog, whining and jerking around.  The animal was tangled in a hunter's net that had twisted so tightly around its body that it dug into the pup’s muzzle and one of its back legs.

Azara slowly walked to the door, keeping her voice low in an attempt to sooth it, “This is why people shouldn't have nets like this, they put them up and forget about them.”  She reached towards the dog to help it, but when the little dog snarled and snapped, she jerked her hand back.  The dog crouched down, its lips rising over its teeth in a scowl. The rope had cut deep - blood was staining the pup's white fur and it trembled with a mixture of terror and pain.

Rubedo shook his head and kneeled by the dog.  His eyes moved over the animal’s wounds, “listening” to its frantic thoughts.  It snapped at him and snarled.  “She’s afraid.”  He whispered, “Creator, she’s terrified! And the pain, she's in a lot of pain!” He glanced at his sister, looking as though someone had torn out his heart, “She doesn't understand we’re trying to help her.”

Azara stared at the puppy, then shakily, “M-maybe you should whisper to it...try to get through to her.”

Nodding, Rubedo concentrated on the dog.

*Calm down,* he sent.

The pup's head jerked up, and she began to back away, her head jerking around for the source of the voice.

*Relax little girl, I'm going to help you.*  Rubedo reached for the ropes, he had barely pulled a string when the puppy let off a pitiful cadence of yips and whimpers, jerking back so the ropes cut deeper still. Her cries became louder and more painful.

Azara was near tears, “Rubedo!  Do something!”

*Stop! Please!* Rubedo sent franticly, she didn't react.  Quickly realizing that he wouldn't be able to get to the dog while she was in this much pain, he reached out and snatched up the dog, holding it against him, so it was unable to move.  The puppy struggled and barked, but quickly ceased.  *Hold on, don't be afraid.*

“Azara.” He said, trying to keep his voice low and soothing, “Get the knife out of my coat, quickly.”

Uncertain, Azara reached into a slit in the side of his brother's coat and withdrew a small knife.

Azara handed it to her brother, who was still concentrating on the dog, “Alright now, baby girl,” He soothed, “Let’s get you out of this.”

He worked as quickly as he could to cut the ropes, gently pulling the out the pieces that had embedded into her skin and discarding the bloody rope to the side.

Finally free of her bonds, the little dog lay on the ground, panting and whimpering. Rubedo picked the pup, cradling it in his arms and taking her to the nearby stream to clean her wounds.

After he had washed most of the dirt and blood off, Rubedo sat cross-legged and laid the pup into the niche of his lap. He dipped his hand into the water and offered to the dog.  Using her last bit of strength, the pup struggled to lap at the water, finally plopping back down with a shudder.

Azara went to her bag and pulled out one of her underskirts, bundling it into a ball and placing it by the fire.  Rubedo nodded in approval and carefully laid the injured pup in the bundle.

“Will...” Azara whispered, “Will she be alright?”

Rubedo nodded, “She’ll be fine.  We just need to get some food into her and keep her from running about. She doesn't weigh much, so it won't be difficult to carry her, it won’t.”

Azara brought him some of their dried meat, which her brother chewed and gave to the pup.  She didn’t seem interested at first, but after some encouragement she ate a few mouthfuls before burying her nose in her bed and closing her eyes.

The siblings watched the pup for a short while, the silence interrupted by a coo of adoration from Azara.  “She’s just so cute, she is!”

Rubedo grinned, “Aye, that she is.”

His sister heaved a sigh, “But whatever will we do with her?  We can’t be taking her to the ball with us.”

He shifted his weight, frowning, “Aye… we can’t be doing that, can we?”  Shaking his head, Rubedo laid down on his bedroll, putting his hands behind his head as he looked at the stars, “We saved her, so she’s our responsibility… we’ll ford that river when we get there, sister, and only then.”

He started to doze, but his sister’s voice jarred him from impending slumber, “We’d have to teach her not to chase chickens… you’d be a bad influence on her, I think!”

“Shut it, you.” Rubedo said, grinning despite his words, “Else I’ll set your hair on fire, that I will �" let’s see you charm an alchemist without any hair!”

Azara threw a stick at him.  He retorted with a dirt clod.   After a few more objects were tossed between the siblings, they stopped their playful feud for the benefit of the pup, who had started awake at all the noise.

Finally quiet and still, the group fell into their own dreams.  The pup dreamt of her mother’s bristly fur, enjoying the familiar smell.  Azara had a vision that she had left their formal outfits at home, and the her and her brother were forced to go to the ball in regular clothes.  Rubedo winced at his own dream, muttering as he relived-

He hacked as the dust went down his throat. Dirt scratched his hands and dug into his cheek as his face was pressed harder into the ground.

“I-I’m sorry!”

Why isn’t Mommy home yet?

“How dare you!  After everything I’ve done for you �" the sweat off my back paid for everything you use �" I should have drowned your b*****d a*s the day you were born.”

“I-I-I-”

Harder!  Blood welled from a cut as the boot pressed continued to crush him.  “You what?”

“I’m s-sorry!”

“And why are you sorry?”

“I was b-bad!”

“And what happens when you’re bad?”

“I g-get puh-pun-punished!”

Sweet freedom!  He felt his father’s boot lift off his head and he rose on shaky legs.  The man leaned down, grabbing his chin roughly “And if Mommy hears of this... what happens?”

“Y-you’ll hurt Mommy.”

“Yes Rubedo.  Now, what happened to you?”

“I fell...”

“Yes, you fell.  Because you too damn dumb and clumsy to stay on your own two feet.”

He released the shuddering and crying child.  The boy’s legs shook so hard he nearly fell down, his breathing sharp and short with sobs.  A hand came in contact with the side of his head, knocking him back down.

“Stop your crying you miserable b*****d!  Get up!”  A foot plunged into his stomach, squeezing all the air out of him.  The little boy struggled to dry his tears and stop crying.

“You miserable little wretch.  Get your scrawny a*s back inside and clean up.  Now.”

He listened.  Running as fast as he could, he went to the pump.  Theirs was indoors �" it had been Mommy’s idea.  He changed and washed up, scrubbing the blood and dirt off his face, hoping he wasn’t bruised or scratched up too much.  If he was Mommy would ask questions.

As the boy was drying off his face a small girl passed by the well room.  Pausing, she looked at her little brother suspiciously.  He turned, a lopsided grin spreading over his face.  “Big sister!”  Dropping the towel he stumbled towards the girl.  She leaned down to hug him and Rubedo looked up at her with worshiping eyes.  Next to Mommy, Big Sister was the prettiest girl in the world.

She messed his red hair gently, “Little Brother...”  she hesitated, her blue eyes worried.  “What happened to you?”  For a fleeting second she could have sworn she saw his smile drop, his eyes tear up.  He was desperate, something was wrong and he wanted to tell her something... she knew it.

But as soon as it appeared it was gone, replaced by the usual sparkling eyes, and the crooked, but sweet smile.  “I’m fine Big Sister.”  He chirped, “I just fell down Vix Tumulosus, that’s all!  No worries!”

She smiled, “Vix Tumulosus”, the scary hill.  Not actually scary, or very big, but at his age, if you could go down that hill on a wooden board or sled and not get hurt, you were a hero in the eyes of the other children.  “Are you sure?” The little girl asked, giving her brother a meaningful look.  “If something else is going on... you can tell me.”

He shook his head.  “Uh-uh Big Sister, no worries!”

“None of the other boys are giving you problems are they?”

“I’m the leader, that I am!”  Her brother laughed, hands on his hips, “Nobody messes with me!”

Rubedo jerked awake, blinking up at the dark sky. He cursed under his breath and forced his eyes closed, finally able to fall back into a restless sleep.


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
Added on February 9, 2015
Last Updated on February 9, 2015
Tags: fantasy, mages, mage, magic, magick, series, good and evil, adventure, journey, romance ma