Chapter I

Chapter I

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

The Ways of the Mages

Part One:

Setting the Stage


Chapter I

Lunamis Rosemary Angelique XXI

A young girl stood on the dusty path looking at the crystalline city of Lunamis, trying to shield her eyes from the choking dust in the air.  The sky above her rumbled as the wind blew, kicking up dust from the dried earth to shower down on the city and its dried fields.

I’m so sorry... She thought as dots of light began to pierce the night sky �" they had noticed her absence. I can never go back...

She looked at the moon as it hovered gently above the central palace, creating a glowing aura around her home.  No.  She told herself sternly, Don't think of it.  If what he said was true, then… then this is for the best. She stood there, silent tears brimming over her violet eyes as she pulled her hood over her head and adjusted the small pack on her back.  The girl turned her back on her home, stealing a glance back at her beautiful city.  Blinking away tears, she forced her body forward, leaving Lunamis behind.

Her home, her name, her life.



He hailed from the Black Mage village of Drajan, about a month and a half’s walk away from Lunamis and only a few weeks on horseback.  He sat with a straight back on a dark black horse, one hand looped lazily around a set of reins, the second holding the staff of a Black Mage.

Glancing down at it the boy grinned; it really was a beautiful staff.  It had been carved from a dark, strong oak branch, inlayed with two rivulets of pure silver that spiraled upward, eventually forming a ring around an onyx stone situated on the top.  As he rode he re-adjusted his hand on it - it was his Era Staff, the final staff of the Black Mage, he had worked so hard to be rid of the community practice staff.

The wind was billowing and tore at everything it could spin its whispery fingers around.  Sighing and rolling his eyes in annoyance, the youth tucked his staff into a small loop he had fashioned in his saddle and pulled his wide-brimmed hat down.

Toheska!  He thought indignantly, glaring around at the landscape.  All of this dust was making him ache for the lush valley of his home �" it wouldn’t be long now.  In a few weeks he’d be back among his people.

Even he got homesick after a while.

He looked over the horizon, ice-blue eyes itching and stinging from the dust blowing around him.  “Toheska!”  He snapped, this time out loud.

Though all his people spoke in the Black Mage tongue, there was a much older one used in ceremonies, one few Black Mages were fluent in.  Why he still cursed in the old tongues, he would never understand.  His mother was no longer around to stick a block of soap in his mouth when he cursed, so doing so in a language unknown to most seemed pointless.

Old habits die hard, I suppose, he thought to himself.

“Damn!”  In frustration he clambered off his horse, his dark coat billowing in the dust-choked wind.  His eyes narrowed as the sarcastic thoughts his father had tried to beat out of him flew through his head.  Yes! Follow the road!  It’ll lead you to the next town over, oh don't worry!  It’ll only take till sundown!

Letting out a long string of curses he squatted on the ground, holding his staff for support.  “What?”  He hissed to himself, “In the name of all things in Heaven and Hell am I to do now?”  He glared at his surroundings, “Stupid-” With a jerk of his eyes he took out his frustrations on the few sparse shrubs, reducing them all to nothing but smoldering ash.  The youth began to pace nervously, angry with himself for being stupid enough to trust an old drunk he met in the streets.

When are you going to learn that you aren’t in Drajan anymore?  He scolded himself, Check your sources, check them!

His horse started pawing at the ground restlessly, anxious to move on.  She reached and nudged her master’s arm, but he hardly noticed.  Unaware of his horse’s nerves, he continued to pace and grumble, but was startled by a sharp pain tearing through his left shoulder, stopping him in his tracks and bringing him out of his trance with a shout of  “D****t, Dominica!”

The ebony mare looked down at him, giving a displeased look and nickering �" how she hated being ignored! The Black Mage smiled to himself, a pang of pride in his chest. He had raised and trained that beautiful horse himself.  She had been stubborn and temperamental, but they were perfectly matched in that respect, and his own tenacity had finally won the battle. Disliking her master’s stare that was unaccompanied by petting or treats, the horse bared her teeth at him, trying to look dangerous.  The Black Mage only laughed, popping her nose to let her know she wasn’t to bare her teeth at him (even if he did find it funny).The horse laid back her ears and whinnied in protest, reluctantly allowing him to remount.

Patting his horse on the neck he muttered softly, “Well, old girl, worse comes to worse we’ll stop here for the night.  And I’ll tell you what. If we aren’t robbed of everything except the clothes - or in your case saddle - on our backs when we wake up, then we’ll take a nice, long break in the next town, that we will.  How’s that sound?”

Dominica only whinnied in reply.

“Ow...” The girl called Lunamis woke up stiff and sore, barely able to move from her first night sleeping on the hard ground.  The nights had been terrifying!  She was convinced she was being followed.  She kept thinking she saw people darting through the forest, hearing noises at night wherever she went.  Looking over her shoulder, she scanned the path behind her.  After she was satisfied that no strange stalkers were lurking along the deserted path, Lunamis focused her attention on moving her throbbing joints.

“At least,” she murmured to herself, “When Yami took me to sleep outside, we had mats to sleep on…”  Thoughts of her beloved guardian caused her eyes to become damp again.  Out of all the people back home, Yami was the one she was missed the most.

Ever since she could remember, Yami had been there.  He had taken care of her and played with her when her parents didn’t have the time (which was quite often), and had spent many of her younger nights sitting on the edge of her bed and reading to her.  He had even read her bountiful amounts of books her parents thought were, “Too complicated for someone her age to understand.”

She smiled through her tears, remembering all the nights she spent as a little girl on his lap, listening to him read to her out of a dusty old book from the archives, explaining as he went along, never minding if she fell asleep during his readings.  Never hesitating or getting upset when he had to reread a section or even the entire second half of a book that she had missed when sleep had taken over.  He even made up stories when he failed to find a book he thought she would enjoy.  Yami was the most amazing storyteller, painting the story into her mind with the most glorious paints of gold and red and blue, his eyes shining as he spoke.

Wiping the tears away she adjusted the leather strap tying her hair back, pulling down the front locks so they hung loosely over her brow.  She sat up straighter, cringing a little as she reached for her pack and retrieved a little bit of bread and began to eat in silence.

She had no plan.  No set destination.  She would simply keep her city behind her and walk.  All White Mages took a vow when they were young to never cause an injury they couldn’t heal, and if what she had been told was true… then she had broken her vow long ago.

After all, even the greatest White Mage could never bring back the dead.



The Black Mage had finally made it to the town that he had been promised would only take him “till sundown”.  Well, it was sundown. Too bad it had taken three sunsets.  The only thing keeping him from launching on a streak of sarcastic remarks, bitter snaps, and long strings of curses, was the rumbling in his stomach and the scent of cooking food somewhere close by.

He dismounted, leading Dominica towards a pump.  After making sure she had plenty of water he proceeded into the nearest inn, digging in a leather pouch for coins.

Not only Mages and Alchemists had heard of the apparent danger of the Black Mages.  The whispered rumors and false facts among the Humans had propelled to fantastic heights after the Masut dult Purians �" the White Blood Massacre.  Just like the White Mages, no Hume would trust a Black Mage �" it was considered a waltz with Death himself.

Apparently, excitement of food and a comfortable bed pushed these commonly known facts out of his mind.  A second before he entered the inn he remembered how panic had ensued at the last place he went.  Once people recognized his coat and staff, hope of a peaceful meal diminished.  Relax, don't go barging in.  Use that Black Mage silence you’re so good at.

He crossed the room, his motions so smooth it looked as though he was floating above the ground, as though suspended on wind.  No one even noticed he was there until he sat at a wooden table, asking as kindly as he could for “Whatever food and drink was available.”  When the server girl heard him (not looking older than 10, poor thing) she dropped what she was carrying, and with a wail of “Papa!”  Dashed out of the room.

That got people’s attention.  Except for low whispers and the sound of chairs scuffing against the floor as people quickly abandoned their tables, all was quiet.  Those who remained sat in silence, watching the Black Mage carefully as he sat and drank, watching his hand every time it went anywhere near his staff, tension drawing taught like a wire when it did.

Feeling drowsy after the ale (he hadn’t been drinking long, and still wasn’t quite used to the feel of alcohol flowing through his bloodstream.)  He got up quietly, and with an exasperated sigh rented a room for three bronze coins.  After paying even more money for a spot in the stables for Dominica and putting her up for the night, he retired to his room.

Lunamis awoke with a start, realizing she wasn’t alone in her bedroom.  The man stood in front of her, his dark hair falling into his still-darker eyes.  They were like a dead thing’s eyes, black and soulless.  At her waking a smile crept onto his face and he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Everything you know is a lie, mon belle White Mage.”

She pulled the covers higher up on her, trying to hide her trembling figure.  “What are you talking about?”  She whispered fearfully  “Who are you, how did you get past the guards?  I’ll have you know they’ve been trained to-”

He laughed, a harsh, dry, laugh - one with no actual joy or happiness in it.  “What would they have done if they had caught me?  You White Mages are too afraid to even claw at the crystal prison you live in...” He pause, a wicked grin curling along his lips, “But wait.... not you... you’re different from the rest...”

“Leave!”  She shouted, slowly moving her hand towards a knife Yami had her stow under her mattress at night.  “Before I all the guards!”

      “You carry a blade beneath your robes... you’re not afraid to hurt others to save yourself.”

She flung the knife at him with all her strength, but it merely spun about itself before clattering uselessly against the far wall.  The man laughed cruelly as she let out a full scream, scurrying to the far corner of the room.

“Help!”  He mocked, “Oh, help the poor little White Mage Princess!”

Lunamis gasped for air, choking as she tried to scream again, finally able to form words, “Help!  Guards-!”.

Before she could finish, the man came at her with impossible swiftness, unsheathing a sword that had been strapped to his back and pinning her to the wall with the blade pressed to her throat.

“Stop being an idiot.”  He said, no emotion in his voice.  “Do you really think I’d come here without disabling your security?”

“What do you want?”  Tears now were running down her face �" what was going to happen to her?  “Please, don’t hurt me!”

He leaned forward, whispering in her ear, “I want to tell you who you really are you false little jewel, and what you did...”

“Madre!”

Lunamis jerked to reality, sitting up from where she had been lying, trembling and sweating.  She looked around, the memory of that incident still rearing its ugly head.  Lunamis laughed nervously at the realization that she was safe.  “How old am I?”  She said to the sky.  “Here I am at fifteen, and still crying out for my nurse!”

Lunamis looked back over her shoulder at the dusty landscape around her.  She had left the lush area of her capital, descending into a dusty bowl of earth.  Behind her, sparse shrubs marked the beginnings of plant life, up ahead lay nothing but dry, red dirt, marked by the slightly trampled path and a few dead bits of shrubbery.

She rose, shaking her robes to dislodge dust that had blown into the folds while she slept.  She stared at the ground as she walked, thoughts of what would have happened if she remained in the city ricocheting in her head.

If they had only heard what that man said... if they only knew what she had done, how she had gone against the White Mage vow.

If they only knew that she had killed.

Forgetting he was in a much smaller bed than he was used to, the Black Mage rolled out of the small, creaky bed and onto the floor with a dull thud.  He untangled himself from the blankets and sat up, sleepy-eyes and annoyed.  Damn bad directions, damn small beds, and damn floors!  D****t!”

Stumbling slightly as he stood, he found his pack that held the usual traveling necessities �" clothes, food, and a few of the possessions he couldn’t bear to leave at home.  He started digging around, pulling out a pair of fresh clothes and changing into them, sighing at the feeling of clean cotton against his skin.  After stuffing the others back in his pack, wondering vaguely when he could find a river to wash them, he ran his fingers through his red hair, trying to get his unruly cowlicks to lay flat.  Giving up quickly he picked up his things, popped on his hat and left his room.

Good. He thought to himself, looking at the still-dark sky.  Sun still hasn’t risen; I can get away without a fuss.  As he walked around the sleeping town his ears perked as the cry of a girl’s voice pierced the air from somewhere in the distance.

Leave me alone!”

He jerked his head up, beginning to creep along the walls of the buildings, following the voice.  The Black Mage looked around him, focusing on the cobbled streets under his feet.  If he wanted to stay quiet, he’d have to slow down-

Another cry sounded.

What if he didn’t have time to be quiet?

The youth set his jaw �" he hated to, but there didn’t seem to be another option.  He concentrated on the shadows around him, closing his eyes and murmuring quietly as he slowly dissolved into the darkness tucked into the alley.  This was a talent few Black Mages have, one few would want to have.

A talent he was particularly skilled in.

The little girl’s voice was getting closer.  He listened harder, trying to hear past the terror in her voice and concentrate on finding where she was.  Moving quickly, he followed the choked voice, fear for this unknown child growing with every passing second.  Before turning a corner he flattened himself against the wall of the ally as he peeled out of the shadows, peering furtively around the corner at the unfolding crime.  Four men, one holding a small girl up against a wall with a knife at her throat, all laughing and taunting, telling her with disturbing detail their plans for her.

Quicker than lightning, the Black Mage stepped around the corner, swinging his staff at the closest assailant so the onyx sphere pressed against the back of his neck.

“You b******s!”  He hissed angrily, “You gutless b******s!  I suggest you let that child go unless you wish to spend the last seconds of your life suffocating in a wall of fire!”

Every last one of them froze.  Slowly, one by one, they turned.  If the young man standing there hadn’t been wearing the dark coat of the Black Mage, and had wielded a shining blade instead of that black-stoned staff, they would have laughed.  But this one was dangerous, and he was furious.  With startled shouts the girl was released and the men darted into the labyrinth of alleys, as mice scatter from a cat.

Sobbing hysterically, the child began to get up, shakily looking for something for her trembling hands to grasp.  The Black Mage reached out and took her hand, helping her up and kneeling down to make sure she was alright.   Her eyes were still closed and tearing, and the shoulders the boy had laid his hands on in an attempt to comfort her were trembling madly with her sobs.  He whispered calmly, hushing her and looking her up and down, trying to get her to tell him her name, her parents’ names - anything.  Yet the child still cried, rubbing her eyes as she sobbed and coughed.

The Black Mage hushed her, taking her small face in his hands and wiping away tears with his thumbs, “You’re safe, you’re safe.  Come along, calm down, you’ll be sick, you will.  Come on now, where are your mama and papa?  Hush now, no more crying, I’ll make sure you get home, but you need to tell me where to take you.”

She opened her eyes to look at him and her mouth to speak, but at seeing what had rescued her, she screamed and ran blindly down the alley.  “Wait!” He cried, “Oy, wait!  Stupid child, don't go off alone!”  He closed his eyes, centering himself on the dark shadows around him. He followed her, traveling along the shadows as a fish follows a river, his eyes wide for any signs of trouble.

The buildings were beginning to thin and light was appearing over the horizon, slowly eating away at the shadows he traveled by.  He reappeared on the ground, still trailing the girl in the shadows.  She was heading to a bundle of houses in a clearing ahead �" there wouldn’t be shadows suitable for him to travel by, so he’d have to get ahead and cut her off.  The Black Mage rose out of a tree’s shade, leaning against the trunk as he waited.  His eyes went from his boots to the girl as she passed, starting unsteadily up the hill.

“Go on in.”  He whispered sternly, raising his hands in a gentle gesture as she spun around with a gasp.  “Don't worry, I wont hurt you.”  The Black Mage continued gently, “I’ll watch until you get safely inside.”  The little girl (how she reminded him of his own sister when she was small!) stared at him, slowly nodding and beginning to back away, her eyes still glued fearfully on him.

“What were you doing, going out after dark?”  He asked, “You never, ever  do that, do you understand me?  It’s stupid and dangerous!”  He softened his tone again, realizing his chastening was too harsh for this already traumatized girl. “Never again.  I’m leaving as soon as you get inside and won’t be around to rescue any damsels in distress.”

With one more frightened look towards him and a final nod, the girl dashed up the hill and into the hut, crying out for her parents. Lights came on, and as the Mage was getting up from his hiding place he heard shouts.

“Lucy!”

“My Lord, Lucy!”

“Mama, Papa!”

“Mary, stay here, I’m going to call off the search party!”

“Of course, oh Lucy! Lucy! My baby, Lucy!”

“Mama, stop!”

“How did you get back, love?  Nobody hurt you did they?”

“A Black Mage rescued me!”

“Oh dear - Daniel!”

“He did, Mama, he did!”

“You’re mistaken, love. Black Mages...”

He didn’t bother listening anymore.  Rolling his eyes slightly, he ducked back into the shadows, barely missing the light from the search party’s torches as they returned to the hut.

Smiling, he thought how similar this scene was to the one where he himself had gotten lost, all those years ago.  He had been found after eight hours of searching, scared and cold, (and praying that something would come eat him and get it over with) but basically unhurt.  The entire village met in the Council Hall and, after his mother had cleaned him up and allowed him out of her arms, there was a huge feast, celebrating his safe return.

Grinning to himself, his eyes sparkling and alive, he dissolved into the few shadows left and continued his journey.


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on February 6, 2015
Last Updated on February 6, 2015
Tags: regenero, rubedo, lunamis, black mage, white mage, magic, magick





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5