Chapter XIV: Transporto

Chapter XIV: Transporto

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

Chapter XIV

Transporto

 

Life continued on in the Patronus household and the addition of Luna seeming to brighten things up a bit.  Though their darkest days had passed, the siblings still hadn’t been able to completely shake the gloom of sad memories that loomed over their home.  One may glance in the kitchen, half-expecting to find their mother preparing a meal, or perhaps their father in the back chopping wood.  Home begin to feel more like home with the chipper new housemate, but as Azara and Rubedo began feeling more homely their guest began to feel more homesick.

It was during dinner one evening that they both noticed this.  She had been completely silent during the meal and had seemed out of sorts since breakfast.  She went about her regular activities but seemed devoid of her usual cheer.  Azara was the first to speak up.

“Luna, dear... are you alright?”

Luna looked up from her plate.  Not a scrap of food had been eaten, only pushed around for the past fifteen minutes.

“I’m fine...” She whispered, not sounding at all fine.

“No you’re not.”  Rubedo said, looking up from his second serving, “You’re never this quiet at supper.  Why don't you tell us what’s ailing you?”

Luna sighed, “I suppose I’m just getting a bit homesick, that’s all...” She set down her fork, resting her cheek in her palm, “I wish there was a mail route to Lunamis... I really want to write to Yami but...” She trailed off.

Rubedo stared at Luna for a few seconds, then snapped his fingers excitedly.  “I know two things that will cheer you up Princess!”  He gave his sister a meaningful glance, “Do you mind if I show her?”

Azara grinned and looked at him, “I have no objections, little brother.”

“Expletus, I’ll show her that last, but first...” He rose from his chair, going down the hall towards his room.  Luna shot Azara a curious glance, and Azara replied with a secretive smile and a gentle hug.

Rubedo returned, holding one hand behind his back, smiling in a way that gave him a startling resemblance to his sister.  As he walked a small rattling noise clicked and clacked behind him.  “I told you I’d make you something so that you wouldn’t lose them.”  He removed his hand from behind him, holding two very long chains strung with the many seashells Luna had found on the beach.

“Oh, Rubedo, they’re beautiful!”

“There you are Princess.”  He smiled, “See?  I kept my promise, I did.”

Luna took the chains, letting them fall in between her fingers.  “Oh, thank you!  Thank you so much!”

Rubedo laughed, “That’s only half of it, follow me.”  He started walking into the sitting room, turning around and urging Luna to follow him.

When she entered the sitting room Rubedo stood by a small table stand, his hand laying on a golden piece of metal.

“Do you know what this is, Princess?”  She shook her head, feeling a bit embarrassed.  “I’m surprised.”  He grinned, “It looks as though the we Mages have a bit of a leg up on you all, that we do!”

He continued, “This little thing is called a ‘tabellae transporto,’ just call it a ‘transporto’ for short.”  He turned the rectangular instrument over in his hands lovingly, “This can get a letter anywhere in the world... including to Yami.”

“I can write to Yami?”  Luna asked hopefully.

Rubedo nodded, “As often as you like, Princess.”  He smiled sheepishly, “Honestly, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this when you got here!”

“I can honestly write to him?  Are you sure he’ll get it?”

Rubedo laughed and nodded, “Yes honestly!  You can honestly write to him! Honest!”

“I’m going to write him right now-excuse me!”  She dashed off, stopping momentarily by a desk to grab some writing supplies, then disappeared into her room.

“Aww...” Azara said, grinning at her brother, “Look how happy you’ve made her!”

He grinned back, “Tace, Zara.”

After a while of scribbling and rephrasing, scrapping and rewriting, Luna read over the letter a final time, praying he would get it alright.

Dear Yami,

It’s wonderful to be able to send you a letter!  The Black Mages have a wonderful device that can send letters anywhere in the world!  Although I don't quite understand how it works yet.  I was so excited about writing you I completely forgot to ask!

Silly, isn’t it?

The days have been magnificent here in Drajan.  Rubedo has shown me so many things!  He took me to an area with many-colored fountains of water!  They were beautiful Yami!  Natural fountains with strange-colored lights shining beneath them - oh they glowed so brightly during the night!

And the sea Yami!  He took me to the sea!  We spent the whole day there.  We gathered little shellfish to cook in a stew (it was delicious!)  and watched the sun rise and set, over the sea and the mountains behind us, respectively.

I am having so much fun here, and I’m happy, I really am!  But I miss you, can I come home soon?

Love,

Luna

Luna wiped her eyes.  If only Yami could come here to Drajan, along with Madre, she would never leave. That and if her friends could come and visit her too, of course.  She rose, taking the letter with her and going back into the sitting room where Rubedo was waiting, Rhea perched on the arm of his chair.  She handed him the letter, smiling.

Rubedo blinked his eyes, slightly shocked, “Hui? Only one letter?”  He looked at the name, written in flowing letters on the envelope, “Just Yami?  How about your parents, I’m sure they would love to hear from you.”

Luna shook her head.  “No, just Yami.”

“Well...” Rubedo said regretfully, handing her the letter, “If you’re sure...”

“I’m sure.”

He sighed, “Alright...” Looks as though the feelings of love and attachment between parents and child are neutral.

How sad...

“Rubedo?  Did you hear me?”

Rubedo pulled himself out of the trance, “Oi, what?”  Luna was standing beside the transporto, the letter lying between it and the palm of her hand.

“Am I doing this correctly?”

Rubedo nodded, still slightly distracted, “Um, yes...” He shook his head, “Just like that!  Now, just focus on who you wish to send the letter to.”

Luna nodded and closed her eyes, bowing her head as though in prayer.  The letter glowed, and then with a loud crack the letter disappeared into a puff of smoke.  Luna jumped in surprise, drawing her hand away quickly and laughing.  “Oh, I did it!”

Rubedo smiled, “Good job Princess.”

“Where will it go, his room?”

“It will go wherever his presence is strongest.”  He said.

Luna smiled happily, “Rubedo, do you think he’ll write back?”

“Of course, Princess Lunamis!  I’m sure he will-” He smiled, “I swear on Roland’s honor.”


Yami sighed. He was so bored.  His only direct orders at the time was to guard Lunamis, but with new order of sending her with the Black Mage there was little for him to do.  He had grown bored with reading the same books over and over, and had memorized every street and alley in the capital  He had kept a distance from the other castle denizens and staff, so being without Luna proved a lonely endeavor, especially with Madre taking a well-earned vacation in a small cottage miles away. All there was to do was sleep.

He lay in bed, only half asleep.  The blanks were warm, and his bedroom cool.  I may just sleep tonight.  He thought to himself, allowing his mind drift wherever it pleased.

He was jerked out of the semi-conscious state when a loud cracking noise split the room’s silence, then slowly fizzled out like a firework.  Yami rose from his bed and stretched, popping the entire vertebra that ran down his backbone, such a good feeling.

“I know... I do not need to sleep.”  He murmured to no one, “Yet, it would be nice to do so, only once, uninterrupted.”  Yami did enjoy sleeping but, just like eating, it was truly unnecessary to his existence. He only indulged in these things for the pleasure of dreams and the wonderful taste of food in his mouth.  A sudden recollection of Luna’s sixth birthday came to mind, the memory of the chilled cream she and Madre had made together still sweet on his lips.  Yami shook his head, trying to focus his mind on the present situation.

Ah yes... He thought, Where is that letter?  He had used a transporto on more than one occasion; they were quite popular among the students at the Academy.  The device made sending letters home very simple.

He finally located a small envelope on his bedside dresser, recognizing Luna’s delicate, precise handwriting.  He tried to contain his excitement and open the letter slowly as not to tear it apart. He pulled out the folded parchment and lay on his bed, unfolding the letter and reading it.

“I miss you, can I come home soon?”  Those pleading words struck him like a knife in his side.  He reread the letter, another disturbing detail rising to the surface.  There were an awful many mentions of Rubedo, and very little of Azara... in fact, none of Azara.

Yami felt the knife twist, but tried to ignore it.  He is just looking out for her.  He told himself firmly, He is only trying to show her a good time to keep her mind off homesickness... that is all... at least, that had better be all.

He stopped and looked down at his fist clutching the letter in a deathgrip.  He shook his head and chuckled, putting the letter down and smoothing it out.   

He was becoming more human every day.



© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

322 Views
Added on April 16, 2015
Last Updated on April 16, 2015
Tags: regenero, rubedo, lunamis, black mage, white mage, magic, magick, fantasy, adventure, journey