Chapter VII: The Alchemist and the Stove

Chapter VII: The Alchemist and the Stove

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

Chapter VII

The Alchemist and the Stove

“Welcome!” Atticus said, soaring one arm over the place dramatically, “To the Alchemist site of rest!”

It was indeed a fine campsite, incredible really. Not a campfire in sight but instead stoves - real iron stoves! Nets were strung up in trees, suspended a few feet of the ground. There were two sections of them, each divided by a wide path.

Rubedo looked around in wonder, they had animals too! Not just horses, but livestock and pets! Aliqu had already flattened her ears back, sniffing cautiously.  Fearing she would try to chase one of the creatures Rubedo bent and scooped her up into his arms �" she wasn’t quite as big as she fancied.

“This place is unbelievable!” Exclaimed Azara, looking around in astonishment.

Rubedo nodded towards the nets. “What are you trying to catch?”

Atticus laughed, waving his hands dismissively, “No laddie, no!  Those are for sleeping in!  I’ll show you later, they’re actually quite comfortable-”

“Is this a permanent rest stop?” Azara asked quizzically.

“Aye lass,” Atticus answered.  “This be a temporary site.”

She turned to him with a quizzical brow, “How do you move all of this?  Where are your carts?”

With a shrewd glance and a secretive smile set on his lips, Atticus called out, “Puren! Come over here boy!”  He turned to Azara, “Here be a lesson on the ways of the Alchemists.”

A few moments later a fair-skinned boy stepped into the open. His hair was so light it seemed almost white.  A set of silvery blue eyes stared at them suspiciously as he stood.  Most of his clothing was white, but he wore a decorated stole over his shirt. Light blue designs were sewn into it, mimicking the movements of wind.

As he walked towards them Rubedo noted his towering height.  The man advanced towards Atticus, his eyes flickering quickly towards Azara and Rubedo.  He gave a slight bow to Atticus, and spoke in a deep yet calming voice.  “Yes sir?”  His eyes flickered towards the newcomers a second time, “Who are these new people?”  He asked, “Found them along the path?”

Rubedo, as manners demanded, bowed and introduced his traveling companions and himself to this strange boy. The boy nodded solemnly. “I am Puren Kanaye, it is my honor to meet you.” He bowed deeply, if a bit oddly, only from the waist, not moving his feet or hands at all.  As he rose, his eyes continued to shift from one person to the next as though waiting for one of them to shout an attacking command.

“Puren,” Atticus said, snapping the boy back to attention, “I need you to show this little lass how we do things around here.” Then in a much lower voice, barely even audible to Puren, “Might impress her bonnie lass, eh?”

He blushed, and in a sharp, yet quiet voice he scolded, “Atticus!”  Who only laughed and urged him to go on.  Puren nodded grudgingly and knelt down in front of one of the black stoves, his head cocked to the side. “How would you like me to do this, Atticus?” He asked, looking deep in thought.

Atticus grinned, “Surprise us.”

While Puren was thinking Azara quietly whispered to her brother, “He and Atticus speak so differently!”  She shook her head, “There are some differences in idiom or accent in different Black Mage villages, but not as much as these two! They seem to speak different languages, little brother!”

Rubedo nodded in agreement, “Perhaps one of them is from the eastern part of the world.”

No sooner had the words left Rubedo’s lips, Puren had pressed both palms against the flame-warmed metal of the stove. He closed his cyan eyes, an attentive look playing on his face.

With a crunch and a brief screech of metal, the stove burst. Azara let out a wail of surprise and grabbed her brother’s arm. Aliqu squirmed in Rubedo’s arms in panic, barking and yipping as she scrambled to crawl on top of his shoulders. The pieces of metal crashed and sank into the ground. As quickly as the stove had been there, it was gone without a trace.

“Ha ha!  Eximius!”  Rubedo cried in his own tongue.

Azara stood open-mouthed and wide-eyed.  Aliqu sniffed a spot where one of the metal chunks had disappeared, lifting her head to look at her friends with a puzzled expression.

A small, rare smile curled over Puren's mouth at the sight of the confusion. “Alchemy isn't just about mixing solutions.  Alchemy is only turning one thing into another, changing it into a different form... transmuting, if you will.”

Rubedo was suddenly struck with a dismaying thought. This man most likely had an invitation to Princess Lunamis’ ceremony, and the skill he had just shown would surely impress her.

Puren continued without notice, if a bit smugly.  “We merely withdraw the natural metal from the earth, and rearrange its state of being so it fuses.  Henceforth, building a stove, or house, or anything else we desire. To get rid of it, we merely break it up, and put it back where we found it, the earth.” He gestured towards the upturned dirt of the path.

“That's not so impressive.”  Rubedo muttered jealously under his breath, arms crossed over his chest. “I can make the very air explode.” Aliqu came and sat down near his feet, tugging at the edge of his coat in an attempt to comprehend what was troubling her master.

Puren grinned, “No, you don’t make the air explode.  You bring together combustible material from your surroundings and agitate the particles to the point of combustion.”

Azara didn’t seem to sense her brother’s newfound animosity towards the Alchemist, “That amazing! Eximius, in my little brother's words, truly remarkable!” Her eyes shone bright as she walked up to Puren, impressed and starry-eyed.  “Can you be taught how to do that?”

Puren held up his hand, “I am sorry...Azara is it? Alchemy can not be taught, you must be born with the talent, an ancestor of an Alchemist.”

“I have a bit of alchemist blood in me, you know.”  Azara said.

“I don’t give lessons.”

Azara shrugged, a little downtrodden, “Oh well,” she said, grinning at her brother and adding, “I suppose all my hopes and dreams are smashed now.”

Her brother returned her comment with a look that clearly said, “Since when do you like arrogence?”and a roll of his eyes. He turned towards Atticus, trying to get Puren out of his mind, “Is there a place my sister and I can wash up?”

Atticus nodded, gesturing to two buildings, on separate sides of the path, arranged like the nets in the trees. “‘O’ course we do!  Right over there, my lad!  Women are on the left, men on the right. We also have places to wash clothing, once again, lasses left, lads right.”

He smiled kindly at Azara, “We highly respect privacy, you see, and you won't have to worry about any watchers,” His eyes flickered momentarily to a group of boys that had been gawking at Azara for quite some time.  They snapped their heads the opposite direction at Atticus’ glace.  “We keep a close eye on them.”  He spoke in a much louder voice, “And they know what’ll be happening to 'em if they be stupid enough to try something!” Azara clapped her hands over her mouth, shaking with laughter as the boys scampered off, apparently fearing a vicious punishment.

Rubedo nodded in approval, “If any of the then do try something, you had better hope that you get to them before I do, because I have,” He laughed maliciously, “A very... nasty punishment for anyone who dares to try anything with my sister.” His lopsided grin spread across his face, “Whatever you could do would be Heaven compared to how they'd end up when I was through with them!”

At that, he threw the group of boys a wicked look, daring them to try anything.  They all stiffened and put considerable distance between them and this protective brother, already crossing Azara off their list of potential brides. Satisfied he had scared them enough, the Black Mage pivoted quickly, making his way to the bathhouse.

Butterflies fluttered wildly in Luna's stomach as she glanced out of the crevice at the room below- people had begun to arrive. She stood in a little nook near the ballroom, a place she could see the guests, but they couldn't see her. Nervously she adjusted the braided silver tiara on her head. The front locks of her hair had been tied back with a silver clasp, while the rest cascaded down her shoulders and back.  She hadn’t felt her hair down like this in public for a few years now, ever since Madre had said she was “shaping.”

At the sudden touch of a hand on her unaware shoulder, Luna jumped so high she nearly left her skin behind. Gentle laughter dissolved her panic. “Mon joyau précieux, forgive me! I did not intend to frighten you!”

Luna sighed with relief, turning to face her guardian, and pressed her forehead against his chest. Yami put his arms around her, his chin resting on the top of her head.

“Oh Yami, I don't feel well at all.” She looked up at him, her face rather pale.  “There are so many people, such high expectations!  I don't think I can meet them...” She leaned against his chest again, trying to concentrate on the rising and falling of his chest and not the current situation. She felt him sigh.

“You will do fine Lunamis.  Everyone, including myself, have full confidence in you.”  He kissed the top of her head; “I know you hate presenting yourself to so many strangers all at once.” He whispered, “But it will be quick, and after you finish you can talk and laugh with your friends, find someone to dance with - Roland perhaps.”  He held Luna out at arms length, smiling, “Remember Lunamis, soon you will be promised to someone and… although I do not really agree with you being placed with someone,” He heaved another sigh, “I know you can pass this test, and with flying colors I might add!”

Luna turned towards the mirror one last time, still not completely comfortable with the more shape-flattering dress.  She studied herself one last time, adjusting a lock of her hair behind her ear, the one that seemed to always fall out.

One day she would be queen �" she needed to be brave.

Taking a deep breath she turned to Yami, her eyes seeming to be filled with electricity.

“Alright Yami,” she said boldly, “I'm ready.”


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
Added on February 9, 2015
Last Updated on February 9, 2015
Tags: fantasy, mages, mage, magic, magick, series, good and evil, adventure, journey, romance ma





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5