Chapter V: Unchanging Guardian

Chapter V: Unchanging Guardian

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

Chapter V

Unchanging Guardian

The preparations were done! Luna wandered around the huge ballroom, marveling at the echo of her own steps �" it always looked so much larger when it was empty.   She smiled as she looked around, happy to have the largest ballroom in the city.

She looked at the glass ceiling above.  It was so clear, one wouldn't think it was there at all. Yami had bought another gift from the east, something he called fireworks.  Luna felt that odd feeling just below her throat, the feeling of excitement. Even the word fireworks was exhilarating!  She looked at the glass ceiling.  Sometime during the night, colored fire would shoot from the ground and explode with dyed smoke and sparks just above her! Luna grinned with anticipation.

“Lunamis.”

Luna turned around, her parents side by side. “Mother, Father!” She said, a bit startled. Luna walked quickly to them and did a curtsey. “Good afternoon,” She said, “Yami has informed me that the preparations for the ball are complete!”

Her father furrowed his brow and nodded, “And these fireworks, he was going on about... is he sure he knows what he's doing?”

“Yami can be a bit...”  Her mother searched for the right word, “Eccentric sometimes.”

Luna shook her head, “Oh no! Yami isn't going to be working the fireworks; he said he's wants to be inside so he can see my face when they go...what he called off!”  Her eyes were shining, “He’s bringing some eastern friends of his here!”

He parents exchanged uneasy looks.

“It will be fine!” Luna assured them “Yami promised!”

He parents exchanged skeptical looks, but kept their doubts to themselves and fell into an uneasy silence.  They knew so little about their daughter that conversation could sometimes be a bother, and Luna felt more comfortable with her nurse and guardian, so she rarely shared with her parents.

The silence was broken by footsteps, echoing against the walls and domed ceiling. Yami appeared from behind a pillar, grinning at Luna with a mischievous glint in his eyes. “Do not worry,” He said with a chuckle, “I promise your daughter's head will not be blown off by any rogue fireworks!”

Her parents exchanged horrified looks.

“I have many experts working on them, it is perfectly safe.” He gave a slight bow, “You have my word.”

After clearing his throat loudly, Luna's father looked towards her mother, “Well, we have better leave you to that then, Luna dearest,” Luna's head jerked up, expecting recognition from her father, something about what beautiful decorations she had picked out, the planning she had done �" something.  “Don’t get in the way of the people setting up, yes?” At that, her parents left, leaving Luna to simply look at her feet.

“Come along Luna.” Yami murmured gently, feeling a pang of annoyance for her parents’ blindness towards their child’s feelings. “I want you to meet someone.” Luna nodded and obeyed, but didn’t take her eyes from the floor.

After a few moments of silence Luna spoke.  “Yami, why...what do I have to do?”  She stopped, Yami looked down at her, “What do I have to do to make them look at me like...like they actually care about me?”

“Luna...” Yami started softly.

“I worked so hard to plan all of this!”  She said, crossing her arms over her chest, “I’ve done nothing but study and plan for months �" and they finally see it, and what do I get?  ‘Don’t get in the way, Luna,’ because I’m apparently always in the way!”

“Lunamis, they did not mean-”

“I'm just business to them Yami!  They don’t care about me at all!”

“Now Luna-”

“Stop defending them!”  She cried, “They don't care about me and you know it!” She was shaking horribly.

Sighing, Yami slid to the floor, motioning Luna to join him. Quietly she sat beside him and pulled her hood over her eyes. Yami put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. “Luna,” he said gently “Your parents do care about you, they are just not particularly good at showing it.”

No response.

“They are just trying to keep a distance, trying to remain ‘proper’. They do not realize it is hurting their daughter.”

“I’m not their daughter...” Luna whispered.

“They took you in Luna-”

“Only because they needed an heir...”

He moved her hood away and looked into her eyes, “Because they wanted a little girl.”  He smiled, “Your mother wanted a child so badly, if only you could have seen her face when she first held you.”

Luna looked at him, her eyes watery, and shook her head, “if they wanted me so much, why can’t they show it like Cheryl’s parents? Even Roland's parents are more affectionate than mine are.” Luna lowered her head again.

Yami leaned his head back, resting it against the marble wall, “Different people...have different ways of showing affection Luna...” he said quietly, “Some people are like Madre, who is very affectionate and openly loving towards people she cares about. Others are like your parents. They are slightly afraid to show too much love, afraid of how people would look at them.”  After a long silence Luna wiped her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered, “I’m supposed to be meeting a friend of yours… it’s silly, I shouldn’t be doing this.”

Yami laughed, “I am sure he will understand. Let us just sit here and wait until you calm yourself.” Yami laid Luna's head on his shoulder, speaking to her softly to quell her distress. As they sat, a raven-haired youth came into the hallway.  After seeing the situation he did a quick about-face and left the way he came without a word.

When Luna quit shaking and her eyes were dry and clear, she and Yami walked down the hall, Yami's arm around her shoulders.

When they entered the library the young man who had walked in and out of the hallway just a few moments ago sat on a chair, reading a book in his hands. He looked very serious with the firelight flickering off his blue eyes. His tunic and pants were black, just as black as his hair.

As they came in he looked up, smiled, and rose from his chair, turning and placing his book on the side table.  When he turned his back Luna could see his cape, there was a very odd symbol sewn onto it, but it was strangely beautiful. A golden circle was sewn into the fabric, inside that circle was a triangle, and inside that triangle sat an eye. Everything was in perfect symmetry, perfect balance.

“Hello again Jacqueus.” Yami said, smiling at his friend, “This is Luna, the one I was telling you about. Luna, this is a close friend of mine, Jacqueus de Electus... but he tells me he prefers Jack.”

“Ah,” Jack said, “Princess Lunamis Rosemary Angelique XXI.” He bowed deeply, “I have heard much of you.” Then he and Yami shook hands, “It’s good to see you again Yami, it's been a long time.”

Yami nodded, “Yes,” he agreed, “Too long.  I am glad you could come to Lunamis’ ceremony. It means so much to me, and her also, I am sure.”

Jack smiled, “Your speech hasn’t changed in years �" still so formal.”

Luna laughed, covering her mouth. Jack smiled at her, “Well Luna, at least I can see you have a good sense of humor.” His smiled widened, “It’s wonderful to see that royalty does have its black sheep.”

Yami rolled his eyes, “Jacqueus, for goodness sakes stop.”

Jack grinned,  “Do what now? Stop what?”

After fixing him with a meaningful glance Yami whispered, hoping Luna wouldn't hear, “You know very well what I mean, Jack, it is not meant to be. You know what is written.”

Laughing, Jack nodded, “Yes of course.  You know Yami, it’s a damn-”

“Jacqueus! Not in front of Luna!”

He laughed softly, “Sorry, Princess.  It’s a shame we know so much.”

Luna looked confused, but when she looked at Yami for an explanation he changed the subject. “Jacqueus is one of the men in charge of fireworks.” Yami gave Jack a mischievous grin, “And perhaps, mon joyau précieux, if Jacqueus doesn't mind, we can give you a slight preview.  What do you think Jacqueus?”

Jack grinned, “Show me to the nearest open field.”

“Aliqu! Come here girl!”

The puppy jerked her head up and bound toward Azara, still with a slight limp.  He newly grown fur sparkled in the morning light as she shook dew off her coat.  She turned to Rubedo and let out a bark.

Rubedo smiled, bending down to pet the puppy as its bushy tail wagged ecstatically.  She started pouncing on his hands and playfully nipping at him.  He was reminded that he’d have to teach her not to do that, when she grew it could be problematic.  At hearing a noise, her head jerked up and her pointed ears pointed straight to the sky along with her tail.

“You know,” Azara said, looking at her, “The way she moves… it’s like a wolf.”

Rubedo stood, and nodded, “Aye, her mother taught her well before they were separated, that she did!”

“Pull your reigns!”  Azara exclaimed, shaking her head, “She is a wolf?”

Rubedo gave her a belittling look, as though everyone knew how to tell the difference between a normal puppy and a wolf pup.

Azara shook her head, “No. Aliqu can't be a wolf. She's too sweet!”  She picked the puppy up and lightly rubbed noses with her, “Wolves are territorial and aggressive, aren’t they Aliqu?  That they are!”

“Only if you threaten them.” Rubedo corrected. “Besides, she's just a pup. If we treat her right she'll just be like a big dog!”

Azara paused, looking Aliqu up and down.  “Rubedo...” She asked hesitantly.

“Aye?”

“How big, exactly, will Aliqu get?” She said, mounting her horse.

Rubedo looked at her with a wicked grin, and picked the pup up, looking at her paws, “Big as any with paws like these.”

No, She said in disbelief. “This little girl?”

“Animals grow quickly, that they do.  Think of the difference between a calf and a bull.”

Azara looked a little unsure about keeping the pup.

Rubedo mounted his horse, scooping up Aliqu and depositing her into his hat.  After tying it to his saddle the two rode in silence, watching Aliqu snap and bite at bugs and leaves as they floated by.

“Rubedo?”

“Aye?’

“What is it like?”

Rubedo gave his sister a quizzical look, “Oy?”

She rolled her eyes, “The city of Lunamis.”

Closing his eyes Rubedo sighed, like every person tends to do when they remember something grand. As they traveled Rubedo told her everything - about the stone houses, the theater, a place they had called a bibliothèque.

He explained to her that it was like a huge library of a king, but it was fully open to the public. He told her of the glass statues and crystal palaces, outdoor eateries and the schools.

Azara became more and more excited as he spoke, her eyes wide with interest. He told the story of his recent adventures until dusk set and the campsite was set.

Rubedo contently sat by their fire, whittling at a piece of word as his mind wandered.  On more than one occasion he caught himself thinking about the upcoming ball �" or more specifically the one who had invited him.  Azara watched Aliqu stalk a small beetle scuttling on the ground.  The wolf pup crawled on her belly, watching her prey with her tail up and muscles taught.

After a few moments Rubedo spoke up, “Perhaps... if you don't mind that is, Aliqu could be a sort of... gift.”

Azara giggled, “For her Lady White Mage?”

“Well...” Rubedo shifted uncomfortably, “Yes...”

Azara's smile widened, her eyes glinting. “A token of love from her savior?”

“Azara!” Rubedo snapped, “For the sake of God, I am not in love with her, I barely know the girl!”

His sister closed her eyes and thought, then opened them and smiled at her brother, “Well, I think Aliqu would a smile on her fair princess’s lips...”

Rubedo hadn't seemed to hear the last comment, “Aliqu could protect her as well. Would also be good company for when her parents aren't around and Yami is off somewhere or another.”  Rubedo lay on his back, arms crossed behind his head. Closing his eyes he began to drift to a different world.

Azara sat still, her eyes fixed on him, then she reached over and ruffled her little brother's hair, snapping him back to reality.  He glared at her. “Oy, oy, it’s messy enough without you mussing it �" what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” Azara said laughing, looking at Rubedo reminiscently, “Just thinking about what you were like when you were little.”

“Azara, we've talked about this...”

“You were so sweet!”

Azara.” Rubedo said slowly and balefully.

“And how you pronounced your name, ‘Hullo, I’m Wubedo’!”

Rubedo held his and up to silence his sister, his hand dropping to his staff at the sound of footsteps.

A man came into view from a bend in the trail, hands up in the symbol of peace and garbed in the red and yellow robes of an Alchemist.

“Oi! ‘Ello there stranger! Not seen the likes of you ‘round these parts 'for! Where yeh comin’ from?”

Lifting his hand in greeting, Rubedo and his sister rose and walked towards the man. “We come from the village of Drajan, we do.  And you?”

Laughing and giving a bow (whether it was serious or mock was indecipherable) the silver-haired man said with gusto, “I hail from-”

“Colisis!” Azara interrupted, “I can tell by your accent!”

“Hush!” Her brother snapped.

The old man smiled and winked at them, “Aye, the lady is right, Colisis it is.”

“Told you.” Azara whispered happily.

Ignoring her, Rubedo gave a bow. “I am Rubedo Infestus Patronus, this is my sister-”

Ahem, his older sister, I might add.”

Rubedo glared, “This is my older sister Azara Preclarus Patronus.”

“Thank you.” She said sweetly.

The Alchemist laughed jollily, “I am Atticus Aquinas, I'm on meh way to the Betrothal Ceremony of the fair lady White Mage. In charge of entertainment, that I am! And what is a pair of young brood such as ye'selves doing 'round here?”

“We’re also to Princess Lunamis' Betrothal Ceremony!” Rubedo exclaimed, laughing (Atticus' jolly demeanor seemed to be extremely contagious).

Azara nodded, “Sir Aquinas...” She began , but the Alchemist held up his hand, stopping her dead in her tracks.

“Ah, lass! None of that now! Call me Atticus! Just Atticus m'lady! None of that sir nonsense!” He shot a look towards Rubedo, “And that goes for the young sir too!”

Azara flushed slightly. Atticus' face fell, “Aye!  Did I upset ye lass?” He laughed, “Just ignore this old turtle!” His voice soften considerably, “Now, love, what was it yeh were goin’ to tell me?”

Looking up and smiling at his kindness, she asked, “I was just, Sir- I-I mean Atticus,” The Alchemist smiled, “Going to invite you to stay at our camp for the night, we have plenty of food, that we do.”

Rubedo nodded, “Aye, company would be nice.”  He looked around, “We do have a third companion but I think she’s off somewhere now.”

Throwing back his head and laughing, Atticus gave Rubedo a suggestive glance, “Aye? Ye got two women here with ye? Regular ladies' man aren't ye, lad?

“N-no!” Rubedo insisted, panicking, “No! I don't think you understa-”

“I was only joking lad!” Atticus exclaimed, laughing even harder now. “I bes’ stop though,” he gestured towards Azara, “Best not make such jokes ‘round the lass, eh?”

Looking relieved Rubedo nodded, laughing nervously, “I’d rather you not!” Both men laughed, while Azara rolled her blue eyes, getting a bit annoyed.

“So,” she said hotly, “Will you be staying with us Sir Aquinas?”

“Uh-oh.” Atticus said, his smile faltering, “Looks like this old turtle has gotten yeh mad at me again.” He paused for an instant before snapping his fingers, “But I do know a way I can make it up to yeh!” He grinned at the siblings, “A group of me friends and I have a camp down the road, ‘bout a mile. How about yeh stay with us? We have fresh meat and fruit, comfortable place to sleep, and plenty of hot bread.” He smiled, then added alluringly, “Fresh butter too...”

Rubedo looked at his sister who nodded in anxious approval..  Neither of them had eaten much else besides fish and wild berries. “Real” food would be welcomed. “Thank you.” He said, bowing, “We would like to-”

Love to!” Azara interjected

“-stay with you.” Rubedo finished, giving his sister the "you're- being-rude" look.

“Well get yeh other cohort and we'll be off!”

*Hey! Aliqu!*  Rubedo sent imminently, *Come on over here! We're moving camp!* After a few moment, he set up to “call” her again, when she came bounding through the dense brush. Her foot caught a log as she tried to jump it, causing her to do a flip and land on her rear.

Amidst the laughter and Azara's exclamation of “Aw! Poor little thing!” The pup rose dizzily up, shook her sleek head and pranced towards Rubedo her jaws clamped around a rock.

She then turned her attention to the stranger. She walked to him, friendly, but cautious. She sniffed his boots, then his hand. She bound away with an excited bark, stopping a few feet away to stare at him.  After picking up her rock Aliqu ran back, dropped it at the Alchemist's feet and bounced away again, hiding behind a bush.

Aliqu!” Rubedo laughed, “Now you're just being silly!” Azara was laughing breathlessly. Atticus also laughed, bending down to pick up the rock.

At the sound of the stranger bending down to pick up her treasure, Aliqu peered out from behind the bush. She sprung back to Atticus, pounced on the rock she had just dropped, and ran pranced back to Rubedo with her head and tail held high.

“Oi!” Exclaimed Atticus, “That be a wolf! I can't believe it! Ye two tamed a wolf pup! Well I’ll be!”

“Wow!” Luna exclaimed, standing on her toes in excitement.

Yami smiled, enjoying Luna's obvious delight. As another firework whizzed into the air Luna jumped back, covering her mouth and laughing with pure glee.

The silhouette of Jack went to another firework; bending down with a flaming stick to light the fuse.  On his way to the next, Jack accidentally bumped the firework's stand, knocking it down. It ignited with a screaming VWEEEE, escaping from its guide and rocketing towards him.

Spinning around, Jack shouted and took off but lost his footing and did an odd flip into the air. He landed on his back, just in time to see the firework scrape a hair's length from his nose.

“Oh, Creator!” Luna took off towards Jack, Yami close behind. Jack shook his head, soot bellowing off in a cloud as black as his hair.

Yami laughed, clapping approvingly. “Good show! Good show!”

Jack looked at them, his face covered in soot and his hair standing on end.  “I nearly got my nose torn off, Yami! I don't think I even have eyebrows anymore! And ‘good show' is all you can say?”

Yami just grinned at his friend, “Yes, you are right, there is more to say! Forgive my forgetfulness!” Jack smiled and Yami continued, “Let us not let this happen during Luna's ball! That, mon amie, would be nothing short of calamity!”

“Yes, yes.” Jack mumbled, getting up, “I’m fine, just fine! Thank you so much for asking...”

Luna grabbed his shoulders, and looked him up and down, Jack's eyes wide with surprise. “Are you alright? Are you hurt? You're lucky you weren't killed!”

Jack chuckled, waving Luna away, grinning “Don't worry yourself your highness, I'm alright.” His teeth looking extremely white against the darkness of his soot-covered face. “Just dusty and...well I'm a bit ashamed to admit, but quite shaken!” He held up a pair of shaking, ash-gray hands to demonstrate.

Luna looked at him, her hand resting on her hip (a habit she had apparently mimicked off of Yami). She narrowed her eyes in disbelief and leaned forward towards Jack. “Are you sure you're alright? Honestly now, I could heal you if anything was wrong, and don't be embarrassed or anything of the sort, I-”

“Luna he is fine! Look at him! He is sitting there laughing!” Yami rolled his eyes, “Do not worry Luna, he will just dust himself off and be back to normal by tomorrow.”

Jack rose did just that, throwing clouds of soot around him.  He grinned widely at Luna, “We really are good friends, truly!” He flashed Yami a wicked smile, “Today he's just chosen to be an a*s!”

Luna clapped her hands over her mouth - she wasn't used to such language.  Yami's head jerked towards Jack. “Come on boy!” He snapped (an oddity for him) “I believe it is time to teach you a lesson about how one should treat his elders.” At that he grabbed Jack by the collar, as you would do with a small child, and turned to Luna, his eyes shining in a mischievous way. “So sorry Little Luna, I will return shortly, I just need to have short word with Jacqueus.”

“Yami, wait! What-” Luna stared at the two Yami dragged Jack off, who had,purposively gone limp to make it as difficult as possible, laughing all the while.

What does he mean “elder?” Yami hardly seems more than a few years past marrying age...and Jack doesn’t seem too much older than myself...

Luna stood, quiet and confused, Come to think...didn’t Yami always look that way? Thinking carefully Luna did math in her head. He brought me here fourteen years ago... he can’t be more than twenty now...but wait... that would mean he was seven when he brought me...

He’s always looked like that.  She thought.

Luna shivered as the chill of the spring night began to creep in.  She shook her head and returned to her quarters, doubting her caretaker’s honesty for the first time in her life.


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
Added on February 9, 2015
Last Updated on February 9, 2015
Tags: fantasy, mages, mage, magic, magick, series, good and evil, adventure, journey, romance ma





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114