Chapter III

Chapter III

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

Chapter III

Blue Dot on a White Plane


“Don't you ever do anything like that again!  Do you understand me Young Miss?  You could have gotten killed!  If that boy hadn’t come along- oh what in the name of the Creator-!”

Rubedo sat quietly and waited, as the plump woman fretted and ranted. Yami had leaned over to whisper that it was Luna’s nurse, assuring him that the woman was not usually so heated.  However, Luna’s sudden disappearance had apparently frightened her, and the princess was now being scolded by the woman called Madre.

Rubedo tried not to laugh, watching the mixture of the woman crying, hugging and kissing Luna, and yelling and ranting.  “Honestly!  You have more sense than this!  Oh, we can only thank Creator for that boy-”

“Madre!”  Luna said, slightly annoyed at the lecture.  “I’m fine, just fine!”

Sighing, Yami walked away from the wall he was leaning on, “Lunamis,” he gently replied, “Madre may be overreacting a little,” The woman threw him a furious glance, but Yami didn’t flinch, “But not by much, not much at all.”  Going to her he took both her hands and kissed the top of her hooded head.  “It would tear us all apart if anything ever were to happen to you.  Promise us you will never do anything like this again.”

Luna nodded, quietly agreeing.  Madre looked towards Rubedo, running towards him and grabbing his hands.  “Oh, how could we ever thank you? If it weren’t for you... oh I don't even want to think about what those men would’ve done to her!”

Yami nodded, “Yes, thank you, I do not know what I would do if anything would happen to our little Luna.”

Rubedo grinned and took a stab at modesty, “I was only doing what any decent man would do in the situation.”

“Your reward,”  Madre said, holding Luna close to her.  “I am sure her parents will pay you greatly for her safe return!”

Rubedo shook his head.  “I don't need a thing, I only did what was decent.”

“At least.”  Luna said quietly, looking up at him, “Allow our seamstresses to make you a new coat... if feel a bit guilty about that one.”

“Really, I don't need-”

“I will not take no for an answer.”  Luna said, smiling.

“I still don’t understand why you did that Young Miss!”  Madre burst, “Why in the name of the Creator God on high-”

“I am sure she had her reasons.”  Yami interrupted gently.

As Luna promised over and over she would never run away again, Rubedo noticed something terribly sad.  Hold on now.  If this girl is so loved and cherished, where the hell are her parents?  He looked around the room, then at Yami and Madre.  Now, who are the true parents?  Something tells me these two would lay down their very lives for her, not because it would make them look bad if they didn’t, but because they would rather die and leave behind a world with Princess Lunamis, than live in one without.  He sighed and shook his head.  What was the point of having a child if you hired someone else to raise them?

“If you will excuse me,” Rubedo announced over the commotion, “I think I’ll retire to my room as of now.  It’s been a long day.”  He walked over to Luna and did another bow, “Goodnight Princess, I’m glad you’re feeling better.  Sleep well.”  After also bowing to Yami and Madre (though a much smaller and less zealous one) he made his way to his room.  The Black Mage washed up, changed and retired for the night.

His bed was warm and soft, but his  thoughts wouldn’t allow him to enjoy it.  Where, he thought to himself crossly, Are her parents?

Luna awoke the next morning warm and refreshed, enjoying the feeling of her own down pillows and blankets, her soft mattress and the patch of sunlight that she was so familiar with.  She opened her eyes to golden rivulets of morning light streaming through her window and a beautiful sound floating into her room from the outdoors.  Luna smiled to herself, wondering what type of bird it was and marveling over how it was singing so melodically.

Rising and putting a set of robes over her bedclothes, she opened the glass doors of her balcony to enjoy the warm morning.  The deep, hollow singing of some mysterious bird was still caressing the air soothingly.  As she stepped out of her room and onto the high, breezy balcony she saw him, in a pair of hide pants and and faded ivory shirt, sitting the balcony of his own room’s banister.  The sound she had been hearing was not a bird at all, it was coming from a little brown instrument in his hands.  One hand delicately and precisely covered holes while the other flittered on the open side.  The cool breeze was carrying the sweet tune, ruffling his hair slightly.

After a moment of her listening, Rubedo stopped playing, and turned to her.  He smiled and waved, a bit of a red tinge grazing his cheeks. “M’lady, good morning!

Why?  He thought miserably to himself.  Why did she have to see me playing?   I look like an idiot!  Getting off the banister, he walked to the other side of the arched balcony, leaning against the banner and grinning at her.  “Sleep well?”

Luna smiled her lovely smile and nodded, “Quite well, and you?”

He laughed, “I’ve been sleeping on the ground for days, and then a jail cell!  How do you think I slept?”  He laughed again, still smiling at her.

Luna looked at him, her violet eyes apologetic, “I’m sorry you were imprisoned... if I had been around that wouldn’t have happened!”  She lowered her eyes, “I’m so sorry...”

Boosting himself up, Rubedo sat down on the banister, his legs dangling over the side.  “Don't worry about it, Princess,” He had to crane his neck to look at her, but he didn’t notice the ache settling into his neck, “After all, I think if my own sister went missing, and some strange man came riding into town with her at full speed... well I think I would’ve panicked a bit too.”  He smiled, “After all M’lady, all the fuss just shows how much your people care for you.”

She laughed quietly, tracing the edge of the banister with her fingertips.  “Rubedo?”

“Aye?”

“What type of instrument is that?”

Rubedo looked at the small instrument in his hands, slightly embarrassed, “It’s called an ocarina, it was a gift from my teacher.  He brought it from another land.”  Putting it to his lips he played a low, hollow, but eerily divine tune for a short while.

Luna looked at him, “Who was you teacher?”

He gave her a very odd look, closing his eyes, debating on whether or not to tell her.  “Well,” He finally said, “This is going to sound horribly odd... I never saw him!”

The princess widened her eyes, “You never saw him?  How was a man you never laid eyes on you teacher?”

Rubedo smiled, “I simply called him Teacher.  He was from across the sea - that’s the most I knew about him.  From about the age of 12 winters to... well I suppose two years ago, I was kept blindfolded.  You seem M’lady, my powers were very random and I had no control over what I did.  So I was blindfolded for two years.  My teacher gave me this after he untied my blindfold.”  He looked towards the city then back to Luna.  “You really forget how precious seeing is until you lose it.”

“You didn’t even see him then?”  Luna said, astonished.

He shook his head, “When it first came off the light blinded me for a few moments, it did.  By the time I could see again the man was gone.”

The two stood in silence.  The birds had started singing again, without the rival ocarina to challenge them.  Eventually, Rubedo spoke up again.

“Princess, if I may ask a personal question...” She looked at him, more curiously than insulted, like so many of the women he had known and encountered would have been at the idea of answering a ‘personal’ question by a man they had known so shortly.  “It confuses me a bit,” He said, “You ran away from home but... now you seem so happy!  Why did you run away in the first place?”

Luna looked down slightly, still tracing the banister nervously.

“Oh damn!”  Rubedo cursed, “Now I’ve insulted you!  Please forgive me you highness, and forgive the cursing also I-”

Luna shook her head, “No, it’s alright, really!”  She sighed, “In essence someone... informed me about something in my past.  I became afraid I would hurt someone I care for, that’s why I left...”

Rubedo fixed his eyes on hers intently, “And the sudden change of attitude?”

“Yami,” She said simply, “He told me that... that I would never hurt a person I cared for.  I know it sounds so odd to put so much trust in him, but usually when Yami tells you something will or will not happen-”

“He’s usually correct,” Rubedo finished, smiling at her, laughing slightly.  Luna looked down, smiling to herself.

After a short pause Luna spoke again, “Meet me in the corridor.”  She said, earning an odd look and a cocked eyebrow from Rubedo.  “I’ll show you where the kitchen is and I’ll give you a tour or the city,” She hesitated, “That is.... if you want.  I would like you to stay until my parents return, and I was thinking you should at least know how to get to the food and entertainment districts... we really do have a lovely city.”

Rubedo nodded, feeling his cheeks warm.  “I’d like to stay, truly!  That is, if it’s alright with everyone else, I’m pretty controversial, I don't want to step on anyone’s toes-”

“It’s settled then!”  Luna said, smiling shyly.  “I’ll see you in ten minutes!”  leaving Rubedo alone on his own balcony.  He grinned to himself and, putting the little ocarina to his lips, began to play again.

After a large breakfast of eggs, bread, fruit, and fresh cream Luna led Rubedo around the city.  He noticed people were watching him very carefully; they probably were a bit nervous about him being near their princess.  Although these people didn’t look as though they were plotting his death like most did, they were watching him carefully.  He had the relief of inconspicuousness " he had left his tattered coat behind and his staff was confiscated by Yami, who trailed behind them in quiet observation. However, even without the coat it was obviously by his clothing that he was of no high-class blood, which earned him enough scrutiny by passersby.

“P-princess!  Princess Luna! M’lady, Luna!”

Turning and feeling a huge grin spreading across his face Rubedo saw the boy who had imprisoned him running towards them.  To the Black Mage's cruel pleasure, Roland was stumbling like a neurotic cat.

Roland stopped in front of Luna, panting, one hand on his knees, the other up in the “one moment” position, his index finger risen.  Rubedo stood with his arms crossed over his chest, glad Roland was making such a fool of himself.

“Luna, M’lady, I’m so glad you’re alright!”  Directing a glare at Rubedo he lowered his voice, “He hasn’t hurt you has he?”

Luna rolled her eyes, sighing.  “Yami is right there.  Do you think he’d let me be with anyone who would hurt me? ” She turned to Rubedo, mouthing, “I’m so sorry about this!”

“I don't want you alone with him!  How could Yami allow this?  He could kidnap you, there are plenty of things he could do while you’re ali-”

“I believe you should watch your tongue in front of the lady.”  Rubedo said sharply, returning Roland’s glare.  

“You have no place to talk, Black Mage.”

Luna glanced back at Yami, who made a sort of calming gesture before returning his eyes to his book, seeming unconcerned by the building tension.

“I have a name.  It’s Rubedo Patronus and it’ll do yourself good to remember that, that it will.”

“Are you threatening me?”

Rubedo’s voice went dangerously low, so Luna couldn’t hear him.  “There’s no point, if I wanted to kill you I’d slit your throat right here in the street.”

Roland’s hand went to a small dagger at his waist, his voice also a whisper.  “I’m a very good swordsman Black Mage, I suggest you don't taunt me.”

“You think it wise to challenge someone who could call flames from the very pits of-”

“Both of you stop it.”  Luna said gently, “Roland, treat this man with respect, I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for him.  Rubedo, don't mock my friend please, he’s only trying to protect me.”

Both boys’ hands fell away from their weapons, averting their eyes from one another sheepishly.

“M’lady.”  Roland said softly, still not looking at Rubedo.  “May I have a private word with you please?”

Luna gave Rubedo an odd look, and took a few steps towards him.  “You don't mind do you?”  She said quietly, “I’m awfully sorry about this...”

“N-no!”  Rubedo said, feeling his hands shake slightly, “Not at all M’lady, go on, I’ll wait here!”  He was rewarded with a smile and a thank you as Luna walked to the other side of the street with Roland.

Praying he wasn’t blushing, Rubedo leaned against one of the trees lining the whitewashed streets, pulling his hat down slightly and watching Roland.  He didn’t like or trust him.

The guard was looking down at Luna and speaking rather breathlessly.  She gave him an unreadable look and shook her head, her eyebrows raised.  Alright now, Rubedo thought, Am I going to have to intervene here?  He crossed his arms and curled his hands into fists, one tapping the opposite arm nervously.  Closing his eyes, he leaned his head back against the tree.

“Roland Malchanceux!  What has gotten into you?”  Rubedo looked up just in time to see Luna jerk her hands away from Roland’s.  Rubedo felt his blood start to boil.  Luna came back, flushed and flustered, Rubedo was ready to go put the son of a b***h in his place, but before he could do a thing Luna grabbed his arm led him away for a very upset Roland.

“I’m so sorry about him Rubedo!”  Luna said, once they were out of hearing and seeing range of Roland.  “I-I just don't know what got into him!  I’m so, so-”

Rubedo laughed, “Princess Lunamis! For the sake of the Creator, quit apologizing!  Just because that tomfool over there can’t... no, wait, I can’t use that expression in front of you.  Hold on a moment while I think...”

Luna burst out laughing, her hand over her mouth.  Rubedo grinned, “Alright, I’ll try this one.  Just because ole’ Rolly can’t keep himself together doesn’t mean you need to apologize.”  He grinned, “Now, that was much better than what I was going to say!”  Luna continued to laugh, to Rubedo’s delight.

“And what were you going to say?”

Yami glared a look of warning.

Rubedo rubbed the back of his neck, “It’s a Black Mage phrase " it really wouldn’t make sense in translation.”  He neglected to mention it was also a figure of speech he probably shouldn’t use in front of women.

Glancing up from his book, Yami gestured towards a nearby shop.  “Perhaps it is a good time to take Rubedo to the tailors for a new coat.”

Rubedo shook his head.  “Really, it’s alright-”

“There won’t be any charge, Rubedo.”  Luna insisted, “And if I ask they’ll make it in the Black Mage style.”

“It’s not that.”  Rubedo said, waving his hands, “You can’t replicate that coat.”

“We could bring it by the tailors.”  Luna suggested, “With that they should be able to make an identical one.”

Yami had closed his book, “Is there something special about your coat, Rubedo?”

“Aye.”  He held up his arm to show her the hem, but remembered that his coat was back at the castle with a shredded sleeve.  He compensated for the mistake by rubbing the back of his neck, shrugging as if that been the intention of the arm movement from the start.  “My sister made it for me " it was a present for my coming of age ceremony.”  He tried not to look as regretful as he felt, not wanting to make Luna feel more guilty than she already did, “She sewed some runes right into the seems " I don’t even know what all she used and I’m not sure your people could replicate it.”

He forced a laugh, “Besides, Azara would be insulted if came home with someone else’s handiwork, she would!”

Luna lowered her head, “I’m so sorry... I wish-”

Rubedo held his hand up, this time laughing sincerely, “Don’t apologize.  I don’t regret it.”  He shrugged, “It’s only part of the sleeve, I’m sure Azara can just make a new sleeve and sew it on.”

“See, my child?”  Yami said as he opened his book again, “It can be repaired.”

Luna smiled, “Then perhaps the gardens instead?  The flowers are absolutely beautiful this time of year, and we only have a few hours of daylight left.”

Rubedo nodded in agreement, “Aye! Drajan is quite a garden itself, but I’ve never seen a controlled flower garden.”

It seemed a little silly to Rubedo, and a waste of space to just have flowers in a garden, but he couldn’t deny that they were lovely " and it was nice to hear Luna talk about them.  She would cradle the blossoms in her hands so delicately, talking to Rubedo about what type of flower it was or where it would usually grow.

Yami was the one to order them back to the castle, motioning towards the evening-painted sky above them.

Rubedo smiled as they neared the palace, now orange from the setting sun.  His eyes went back to Luna as he felt yet another smile make its way to his face - confirming that he was happier than he had been in years.

Rubedo was half-afraid to eat the cake set before him or to even touch the delicate sugar-decorations floating in the tea.  Luna took to the cakes contently, lightly slicing through the layers of chocolate with the tiny dessert fork the tearoom had provided them.

“Try it, Rubedo.”  Luna insisted, “This is my favorite tea house " I come here with Yami all the time.”  She glanced back at her guardian sitting at another table, allowing them a transparent illusion of privacy.

Rubedo grinned and picked up the fork, hovering over the cake uncertainly.  He forced a laugh, “Are you sure we actually eat it?”

Luna giggled and nodded, “They are quite beautiful, are they not?”  She smiled and took a bite of her cake to illustrate. She then nodded to her guardian a few tables away, “When I was a child Yami would bring me here.  The first time I came here I loved the cake so much I refused to eat it!  I even took one home and hid it under my bed!”  She laughed at the memory, “Not a soul realized what I had done until I complained to Yami that my room had begun to smell " they found it spoiled under my bed!”

Rubedo laughed, desperately trying to remember a time he had done something foolish to share with her.  Instead exaggerated tales of heroics came to mind, which he shared with glee.

During a lull in the conversation, Rubedo leaned back in his chair and looked around.  “Princess Lunamis, remember when I told you that I had traveled here before?”

She nodded, “Yes, with your cousin.”

“There was this place we visited.”  He sat up and snapped his fingers as he tried to pull the memory forward, “They served this… it smelled like flowers.”

Luna cocked her head to the side, clearly unsure of what he meant.  “A… florist?”

He shook his head, “No, no, it was this cold sort of " you ate it, you see " but it had this sort of flowery smell, like roses, that it did.”

“Ah!”  Luna said, “Chilled cream!”

“That was it!”  Rubedo confirmed, nodding, “Perhaps you could tell me if the place is still running?  It was a wee little store " no bigger than from our table to that one.”

Luna caught her guardian’s eye, motioning for him to come over.  “I’m not sure about the exact one you mentioned, but there are plenty of creameries here.”  She smiled, “You were smelling the rose water they use to flavor it " you’ll never taste chilled cream like it anywhere else!”

After promising to check into Rubedo’s mystery cream shoppe, Yami received the bill for their meal.  He furrowed his brow and murmured under his breath in the White Mage tongue.

“Again?”  Luna asked.

Yami nodded and silently paid.

“Things must be getting worse.”  Luna said quietly, putting her knuckle to her lips as she thought.

Rubedo looked at them, “What’s wrong?”

“Drought.”  Yami answered, “It has been forcing the prices of food higher and higher.”

Luna nodded in grave agreement, “Perhaps it’s time to organize a ration?”

Yami smiled and patted her shoulders, “I think it is a bit too early for that, my child.  Remember, while we must take care of our people we must take great care to not cause alarm.”

“But if prices continue to increase-”

“Then we can do something more drastic.”  Yami replied firmly, “What would be a better course of action, do you think?  Something that will still help alleviate the price rise but not cause a stir?”

Rubedo realized that this was a lesson.  How could he keep forgetting that he was looking at the future queen?  Luna seemed unaware of his gaze as she thought, “I suppose… continuing to circulate coin and encourage preserving foods?  But we’re already doing that…”  She put her chin in her hand, “Perhaps we should import?  Oh, but that would make prices higher too.”  She slumped forward and furrowed her brow.

Yami smiled, “There is no magical solution, Lunamis " we must simply ride the tides of trouble until they level out.”  He patted her hooded head, “This is not the worst drought we have seen, nor is it the first.”

Luna sighed, “I just wish we could do more.”

“You will soon learn that you cannot trouble yourself with every problem the city encounters " you will drive yourself mad with worry.  Let the district officials handle this.  We are uncomfortable, but not at risk of starvation " the soup kitchens are stocked and prices are high, but payable.”

Luna looked down at her cake, “But… just for these cakes-”

Rubedo accidently laughed.  He flushed at his own rudeness and held up his hands, “Pull my reins, I’m sorry!”  He grinned and tapped his fork on his plate, “Heavy cream?  Sugar and chocolate?  These are expensive ingredients, they are!  Of course a place like this is going to be costly.”  He winked at her, “Aye, but that’s good!  You said you wanted to continue circulating coin!”

Luna seemed comforted by that, but still insisted they go by the market to check prices.  The basic foods could be bought at an affordable price, but prices reached to the sky for everything else.

“Uncomfortable.”  Yami reminded her, “But at no risk for starvation.”

Happy that her people would not famish, Luna began to chatter about the following day.  Yami seemed to have narrowed down Rubedo’s cream shoppe to a few locations that fit with his description, and they planned to indulge in the frozen treat for lunch the following day.

However, any thought of frivolous entertainment from plays and rose cream was whisked away when Rubedo saw the message that was waiting on his bedside table. Even after shaking his head and rereading it for the fourth time he still couldn't believe his eyes.

Rubedo,

Where are you?  If it weren’t for the transporto I couldn’t have even mailed you!

We need your help, the Humes are creeping into our territory " they’ve been setting up camps and we think they’re planning something.  Usually it wouldn’t be an issue, but there are so many, we need everyone we can get.

Please Rubedo, we need your talents, think of Drajan!

Cursing under his breath he stuffed the letter into his coin pouch. He would have to go - now. He couldn't believe it - those idiots were trying to take over his village. Sorry folks, Black Mages don't bow down to anyone, much less a bunch of Normies.

After gathering his things he searched the castle for the princess.

He wandered around the corridors hoping to run into her.  She wasn’t in the kitchen, helping Madre fix the next meal. There was no sign of her in the music room, plucking her fingers along the harp (looking like an angel in Rubedo’s opinion). She wasn't curled up in a chair in the sitting room, reading a book either. After going as far as to knock on her bedroom door, and still finding no Luna, he made his way towards the entrance, hoping to find her there.

“What do you think you're doing? Walking around here like you own the place!” In alarm Rubedo spun around but rolled his eyes and sighed when he saw it was only Roland.

“Aren't you guarding that empty space you call a jail?”  Rubedo asked with a grin, “Isn't that where they put inexperienced, irritating, rookies?”

Giving him a glare Roland snapped, “I was given a promotion by the Princess, I’m guarding the palace now.  Now, I ask you again-”

“Speaking of, have you seen her?  The Princess I mean.” Rubedo interrupted, “There's been an emergency and I have to get back to my village, I do, but I don't want to just leave without saying goodbye.”

“Luna is in the archives, but she's-” Rubedo had already begun to walk towards the dusty room, completely ignoring Roland. “-studying for the ceremony and has to " excuse me!  You're not even listening to me! Come back here!”  Rubedo couldn’t help but smile, it was so simple to get Roland flustered - and so amusing!

With much effort and time, Rubedo was able to find the archives, but his efforts were not paid off. The heavy iron doors were locked and resolute. Sighing he paced around. Well I can’t just leave her... I really shouldn’t leave without an explanation.  I could tell Roland... what am I thinking?  Can't rely on that idiot...

Rolling his eyes he walked to the study, got a quill, ink, and small piece of parchment, and wrote a quick letter.

Dear Princess Lunamis,

Forgive me that I could not say goodbye personally.  There is an attack on my home brewing and I must go fight for my people.  I truly wish I could stay longer and see more of the city with you, but I am needed back home.

I truly regret this and hope to see you again in the near future.

Sincerely,

Rubedo Patronus

After quietly slipping the note under her bedroom door he snuck out of the castle and into the barn, whispering the distressed horses into calmness.  He retrieved his mare and set off, casting the familiar spell he had used to get himself and the Princess to the city days before. He would arrive in less than a week. With a quick glance to the palace, he started south towards Drajan.

His sister had been right " the Humes had a regular army camped out along the lip of the valley.  Rubedo hid in the shadows with Dominica, gently whispering for her to stay quiet.  He frowned to himself as he thought about the Elders’ request to him.  They had met him on the outskirts of the village to discuss the strategy to get rid of the Humes. The numbers were the biggest problem " Drajan would need to take them by surprise.  That’s where Rubedo would come in.  He winced at the hesitant request for him to use his darkest skill.  They all knew that it was a gift of genetics, a rare curse struck on him at birth.  He wasn’t the type to want to learn such a dark skill but it was still a subject nobody liked to touch.  Rubedo agreed of course " he hated the skill, but it was useful.

Now he crouched low in the bushes, his eyes trailing along the camps ahead.  After sending his horse away he laid his hands on the damp ground, closing his eyes and concentrating on the darkness around him.  Numbness spread along his arms as they darkened to black and lost solidity, sinking into the ground among the moonlit trees.

Sliding along the shadows, Rubedo slinked along the Hume camps, looking for a place of importance.

Take out the base first, he thought to himself.  Teach those Humes that even numbers can’t take down a Black Mage village " this is our home.

The Black Mage went right to the middle of their base and solidified out of the darkness.  He stood still as a statue, counting to combat his nerves as he waited to be noticed.  He counted to 29.

Shouting orders, the men reached for their weapons and began their assault. He had caught them by surprise and they were panicking.

A grave mistake - they had just caused their own demise.

Whirling around in his gut he felt it, the adrenalin, the rush of the battle.  He heard the twang of bowstrings and the sharp phtt of arrows slicing the air around his ears and hair.

Complete disarray signaled the rest of his village.  Camps around this one erupted in confusion and screams as everyone attacked their respective targets " one or two mages per a camp was all that was needed.

Focusing on his own task, Rubedo flung spells into the fray around him, erratically switching directions to throw off piercing arrows. He rarely killed, only when he had no other choice.  He usually paralyzed, stunned them so it was impossible for them to speak or move. One by one they became statues of flesh and blood. It took control not to hurt them.  Lucky for them, Rubedo could occasionally control his temper.  Eventually, most wised up and fled while the rest remained stunned and silent.

After fixing the remaining soldiers with a dark stare Rubedo spoke.  “In exactly thirty minutes the spell will wear off. After it does I suggest you go back to your homes. Leave and never come back”

As he spun around on his heels and began to walk away, a rarity in the spell ensued. One of the Humans spoke with a voice that sliced through the now-quiet air, “You evil creature! Hell spawn! Crawl back to the pit you fell out of!”

Rubedo stopped turning to stare at the boy.

Strong will you have there, he thought, looking at this boy, not even his own age. Rubedo spoke in the Black Mage tongue, very quietly.

He kneeled by the boy’s frozen body, deciphering his words for them all to hear. “The world is a mass of gray, boy.  There is no good or bad. Never label someone as either.  After all, in that person's eyes, they are the good...” He gradually began to liquefy into the darkness yet again.

“You are the evil.”

“Quod subsido absentis!”  His village looked up from their valley as their assorted stun spells wore off and the Humans scurried away, returning to their own homes.

Those who hadn’t fought were waiting in the Council Hall, most likely preparing a victory feast. It was a bit early in the morning for such heavy food, but what better way to celebrate?

Rubedo would not partake in the feast however. As he was going in the council hall, laughing and talking with his friends, the stern face of Elder Gnarus appeared in front of him. Looking down with his time-worn face, he placed a callused hand on the young mage's shoulder.

“Rubedo.” He said calmly, “Walk with me.” It wasn't a request, it was an order. The council members didn't regularly order around people, but when they did they meant it. With a nod and a nervous glance to his friends (praying that Elder Gnarus hadn't found out about the incident involving himself, his fiery temper, and a vast amount of chicken coops) he followed the Elder out of the building.

The air was cool and sweet. A zephyr floated gently through the air, ruffling Rubedo's hair as they walked. The sun was starting to come up and Rubedo was suddenly reminded of how tired he was.  After a long silence, the Elder spoke.

“Do you remember, Rubedo, five years ago, at your Era celebration?” The elder gave a half smile. “When you were awarded your Era staff, much earlier than everyone else in your generation I might add?  How only a few seconds after you had received it, you let loose an array of sparks into the sky?”

Rubedo nodded. “It was so dark.  The sky was so cloudy there was no moon, no stars to be seen. Only the torches we had lit up.”

Elder Gnarus smiled, “Do you remember what happened after you created utter chaos with those sparks?” Rubedo furrowed his brow in thought, but couldn't pull the memory forward and said nothing. The old man laughed, “Soon after you did that, after the confusion had ceased, everyone noticed the sky was perfectly clear, a full moon smiling down on us. Still to this day, not a soul knows how it happened,” He grinned down at Rubedo, “They were too focused on not allowing their clothes to catch fire, that they were.”

Rubedo laughed, grinning a crooked grin that people had always found striking, one corner coming up higher than the other and giving him the look of a person who was constantly concocting a plan of mischief.

“I don't understand how I forgot about that! Everyone was going on about how the sky clearing was a good omen, and this and that, et cetera, et cetera.  I just thought it was a really remarkable coincidence!”

After a few more moments of silence the Elder spoke again. “What are omens, than merely one's thought of what is yet to come?”

Rubedo nodded in approval, “I’ve never much believed in omens and prophecies. I haven’t.”

Elder Gnarus closed his eyes, focusing on the wind blowing his long silver hair around him.  He glanced down at the boy standing next to him, hardly a boy now... no... not a boy at all, not anymore.  After a long silence he asked softly, “Do you fear death, Rubedo?”

Rubedo gave Elder Gnarus a startled glance, and then nodded quietly.  “I fear the death of those I have left to love, I fear causing death to them... and for good reason.”

The old man tapped his staff with his fingertips, his eyes on the nexus crystal.  “Do you remember, what you found about you father-”

“Besides the fact that the one I lived with was a mendacious son of a b***h?”

“Rubedo,” Elder Gnarus said nervously, “You know that you-”

“I know, I'm a product of rape.”  Rubedo lowered his head.  “Some sick b*****d raped my mother, and she became pregnant with me. She went against her husband’s wishes to kill me, I was born, and he hated me the rest of my life. Trust me, he reminded me of it as often as possible. Usually while he ground my face into the dirt.”

Silence. There wasn't much you could do to respond to a reaction like that.

Laughing a little anxiously, Elder Gnarus looked towards the sky.  “Rubedo... do you fear your own death?”

Rubedo rose an eyebrow.  “Why?”

“Death should be feared, dear lad, not welcomed.”

Rubedo’s eyes went to the floor, “I don’t welcome death these days.”  He stole a glanced upwards towards his elder, “Why?”

“I suppose I still worry about you, I do.”  He smiled and looked at lights of the village. “The festivities have already begun. Go on, I’ll join you shortly.” The Elder turned and began to walk down the path.

When Rubedo entered the Council Hall the building exploded with applause. Blushing and rubbing the back of his neck he waved and laughed. People rose to clear tables and chairs, and some went to a risen podium with instruments, and with a quick, fast tempo count-off, the music commenced.

“Rubedo!”

He turned to see Comitis, a close friend of his -  he had known her since they were babies.  The girl laughed, pointing to his head excitedly,  “You have an arrow stuck in your hair!” She ran to him and pulled it out, showing him a red-feathered arrow. Rubedo’s mouth dropped open as he realized he had been walking around with that stick nested in his hair for well over eight hours. He quickly ran his fingers through his hair, searching for any more alien objects.

“Oh, don't bother there isn't anything else in there!” Comitis then turned to his other friends, “That is so cruel, letting him walk about like that!”

The group of boys just laughed. Rubedo smiled good-naturedly and held the arrow between his index and middle finger, examining it all around.  “Well,” he laughed, “Good souvenir, eh?”

Cries of “Aye!” were heard throughout the domed room as one of a blonde mage shoved a drink at him.  Rubedo laughed and accepted the drink with one hand, twirling the arrow around with the other before putting it in his pocket and joining his friends in a victory-fueled song.


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

573 Views
Added on February 9, 2015
Last Updated on February 9, 2015
Tags: regenero, rubedo, lunamis, black mage, white mage, magic, magick, fantasy, adventure, journey