Chapter XI: To Drajan

Chapter XI: To Drajan

A Chapter by Spider Rose
"

Something dark is creeping into the world, and it is time to gather the Spirits - special individuals burdened with the duty of bringing a tilting world back into balance.

"

Chapter XI

To Drajan


“Now I know you can pack for yourself, Young Miss, you showed us that when you tried to run away!”

Luna stood with her back to Madre, looking over her shoulder as her nurse stuffed last-minute things into her pack.

“I’ve packed you some extra food, love.  About six potato latkes and those blackberry and strawberry tarts you love so dearly, there are plenty.  Oh, and the latkes are heavy, so they should last you and your friends a few days, and here are some apples-”

“Madre!”  Luna laughed, turning her pack away from her, “I’ll be fine. Rubedo said there will be plenty of food along the way.”

Rubedo nodded and bowed to Madre, “Yes, the road we’ll be taking to Drajan is always near a river, so there will be plenty of plants and fresh water.”  He pronounced Drajan differently than Yami had, softening the ‘j’ as he said it.  He turned and smiled at Luna reassuringly.

Madre hugged Luna tightly.  “Oh, Young Miss!  I’m so sorry, I’m just so worried about you not being able to find food, or getting sick from eating the wrong thing, or-”

“I’ve been living off ther land all my life, I have.”  Rubedo continued to assure, “I know what’s good and wha’ts bad.”

“Oh, please don’t let her stay out in the sun too long, she burns so very easy, poor dear just has to look at the sun wrong and-”

“Madre!”  Yami and Luna said in unison.

“Oh all right!”  She said hugging Luna a final time and kissing her forehead, “You just be careful, love, write if you can.”


Yami smiled and patted Rubedo on his shoulder, “Do not worry Madre, I have full confidence in the boy.  Luna will be returned to us safely.”  

Madre nodded, choking down a tear as she watched the three head towards the stables.

After tying all their packs and other things to Azara’s horse, she stood back and eyed her brother intently.  “The Princess will have to share a horse with you, little brother.”

Rubedo shook his head, horrified, “On no, sister, it’s not proper, it’s not!”  He gave her a dominative glance, “She will ride with you.”

“Aye,” Azara argued, smiling sweetly, “You know very well Mitis cannot carry me, our things, and Luna.  And we can’t strap our supplies to Dominica, if she were to have a fit it would fly in all directions.”

Luna nervously looked at Azara, “If Dominica were to have a... fit how would I stay on?  I’ve never ridden a horse, my parents never let me, I-I’ve always ridden in carriages!”

“Oh, don't worry Luna.”  Azara said slyly, “Rubedo will be sitting behind you, he won’t let you fall.”

“I won’t.”  Rubedo replied stubbornly, “Because she is riding with you, she is!”

Azara rolled her eyes, “Only one of our horses can carry two people, and that’s Dominica!”

“Then you ride Dominica!” He said in a harsh whisper.

“You know she only listens to you! The wicked thing will bite me, she will!”

Rubedo looked defeated.  As he passed his sister he glared and mumbled under his breath, “I hate you, you know.”

Azara only laughed, “I love you too, little brother!”

Once the arguments over what to do with the Princess was over, it was decided she would indeed ride with Rubedo.  At his instruction, Luna walked slowly walked towards Dominica, (Rubedo praying the horse wouldn’t take a chunk out of her,) and reached slowly in her bag, offering the horse an apple.   Dominica seemed to appreciate Luna’s gift and she even went as far as to sniff at the pockets of Luna’s robes for more treats.  Luna laughed and fished out two more apples, giving one to each horse.

Rubedo smiled, “Well, that went better than I expected!  She seems to like you. Aye, I think she’ll let you ride her, that I do!”

At Rubedo’s words Azara mounted Mitis, watching Rubedo help Luna.  “Alright,” He said, “Put your foot in the stirrup - no the other one!  Alright, that’s good, now, I’m going to give you a boost, when I say, jump and swing your leg over the horse-”

Luna turned to look at Rubedo, “I can’t do that!”  He rose his eyebrows in silent question.

Azara answered for Luna, “Her clothes aren’t like mine, Rubedo, they aren’t designed to be able to ride straddle-legged.  She’ll have to ride side-saddle.”

Rubedo sighed, putting his own foot in the stirrup and one hand on saddle.  Before she could protest, Rubedo put his free arm around Luna’s waist and lifted her up onto the horse as he mounted.  Luna gasped in surprise, and turned to give him a stunned look when he had steadied her.

Rubedo gave her his slightly crooked grin and laughed, “You would have objected if I told you what I was going to do.”  He stopped laughing, but continued to smile, “Sorry, I’ll warn you next time, Princess.”

He clicked his tongue and Dominic walked forward, followed along by his sister, and out of the barn, Aliqu prancing along behind.  Luna glanced behind them, quickly looking away and blinking rapidly.  To her relief, Rubedo said nothing, just fished a handkerchief out of his coat and handed it to her.

He knew what it was like to leave home.


“So, she’s gone with that Black Mage, eh?”

“Yes sir. Two of them, his elder sis-”

“I could honestly care less about the sibling, it’s the girl I want.”

“What will we do, sir?”

“Be patient Rapcious, wait until I give you the order.  When I give the word, I will explain everything.”  A disturbing smile curled the man’s lips, “Perhaps we’ll have a bit of fun with this one, that Black Mage will put up a hell of a fight.  Who knows?  Maybe I’ll even be able to see my dear brothers.”

“What should I do until then?”

“Just keep an eye on them, for now.  Do you understand me?  I want to know where that little girl is at all times, we can’t allow her to slip between the cracks again, now can we?”

“What... what if your brother shows up... then what?”

“All the more fun, Rapcious.  All the more fun.”


Rubedo sat upright with a gasp.  He was trembling; his breath coming in short, starved gasps as his body convulsed.  He closed his eyes, now stinging from sweat and burning from impending tears.  “Just a nightmare.” He whispered to himself, his voice quivering.  “Just another nightmare.  It’s not real, he’s dead.”

He finally slowed his breathing and calmed his shaking.  Rubedo looked through the glow and smoke rising from the dying coals at the two figures lying down, Azara and the Princess, her pup curled close to her.  Princess Lunamis hadn’t been comfortable sleeping too close to him.  He assumed so she could sleep in her under-robes. Her outer-robes were surely uncomfortable to sleep in, all those layers and folds didn’t look like they’d be pleasant to lie on.

She probably considered it inappropriate for him to see what she wore underneath, although he didn’t see the problem.  Black Mage girls didn’t wear covers in their own homes, and the boys didn’t really have to wear them at all, except for ceremonies or when chilly winter winds ate through the thin shirts underneath.

Shaking his head Rubedo rose to his feet, readjusting his mat.  He stood straight and closed his eyes, he just couldn’t stop shaking!  “Damn him.”  He mumbled under his breath, as sour as bitter herbs, “Damn that lying...” He paced the around the fire, careful not to get too close to where the girls were sleeping.  After building up the fire a little more and scanning the horizon for signs of movement he lay back down on his mat.  Closing his eyes, he forced the dream out of his thoughts and prayed for no more dreams to come.

The Black Mage hated to dream.


He closed his eyes against the sticky pool that had leaked out of his head.  He hated that feeling, blood on his face, gritty dirt coagulating with it and tearing the tender flesh.  He cringed, and wiped a cut on his brow, damn it was in his eye!  He blinked and squeezed his eyes shut, not allowing them to tear up, he didn’t dare wipe it out of his eyes.  He couldn’t let him think he was crying.  He was eleven... and eleven-year-olds didn’t cry.

“Stupid little b*****d.”

Rubedo raised his eyes to the man standing above him.  He hated his father!  “It wasn’t my fault...” He whispered, not realizing what he had done until the words left his bloody lips.  S**t!  He thought, Why did I say that? He’ll kill me!

His father was wondering the same thing.  Rubedo saw the man’s eyes flash and narrow dangerously.  “What,” He said in a soft, low voice, “Did you say?”

Rubedo shook his head, “Nuh-nothing.”

“You’re saying I’m hearing things?”

“No!  No, I just-”

“Liar!  What did you say?  You know what I’ll do if-”

“I said it wasn’t my fault!”

In less than a second Rubedo felt his back slam against a wall and the clutching fingers grasping his collar as his father held his weight with it.  Don’t struggle!  He thought desperately, Don’t fight back, he’ll hurt Mother!  Just let him hit you!

Rubedo could only remember a few times it had been this bad, on after another.  Rubedo felt dizzy, wondering vaguely if his nose was broken.  He could feel blood running into his eyes but hardly cared.  They were still coming, one after another.  One hand held him up against the wall and the other kept hitting him. Over and over and over

And over and over and over.

It just wouldn’t stop.

His father took him from the wall and slammed his back against it, then drew back for another clout, knocking the air and blood out of him.

Was it over?  Yes... he felt himself dropped to the ground, crumpling onto himself and panting, quivering from relief, fear and pain.  God, he wanted to cry.

He felt his father lean down, whispering into his ear.  “You know what you are boy?  You’re a mistake, something your mother didn’t want.  We didn’t want another baby, we were happy with the one we had.  You were created by kidnapping, by fear, by hate... rape.  You heard me boy, rape.  She only kept you because it was the ‘right’ thing to do.  You were never wanted.  You never were, you aren’t now, and you never will be, by anyone.  Go poison yourself for all anyone cares, you’re nothing... worthless.”

His father laughed, “You know, it think that’s a grand idea, it is!  Go poison yourself, cut your own wrists and spill your own blood, get rid of yourself.  Your mother doesn’t need you around to remind her of what happened to her, what that man did to her.  How does it feel you fatherless b*****d?  To know the only way you're useless existence could have come about is for some lecherous-”

“Shut up.”  Rubedo whispered, closing his eyes and grounding his fists into the dirt.

He opened his eyes just to see his father raise his fist.  Rubedo did the unthinkable, he defended himself, shielded himself from the impending blow-

He caught his father’s fist.


Luna opened her eyes to a brightly shining sun - a little too bright for someone who has just woken.  Keeping herself covered she pulled her sheltering robes over the white gown she wore underneath, the second of four layers.

Stretching and yawning, Luna looked around.  She spotted Azara and Rubedo talking by a newly born fire.  She started at what Azara was wearing, quite unlike the full gown she had worn for the ball and the travel cloak she had donned for their departure.  She had rolled the sleeves of her cover up and they were held above her elbow with buttons, and the cover only fell to her ribcage, exposing the shirt underneath.  Her skirt was full and heavily pleated, but was cropped clear past her ankles, exposing a pair of worn travel boots and a hint of black stocking.  Her hair was exposed and up, the braid pinned elaborately to the back of her head, spiraling towards the center.  She had a hood on her cover that Luna expected to be pulled up, but the young woman didn’t seem inclined to do so.

She felt suddenly very uncomfortable �" how could Azara go around dressed like that?  She glanced at Rubedo who didn’t seem at all phased by his sister’s attire.

Was that how Black Mage women dressed?

As though sensing her eyes on him, Rubedo looked up and saw her, immediately rising and bowing.  Luna realized his hat was off, as it had been at the ball.  He walked towards her, giving a second bow as he did so.

“Ah, good morning Princess Lunamis.  Sorry we didn’t wake you, you seemed so exhausted last night we didn’t have the heart, we didn’t.”  He took a cautious step closer to her, “Sleep well?”

Luna nodded, “No complaints, thank you for letting me sleep in.”  She glanced up, checking the time by the sun, “Oh dear!  Rubedo, it’s nearly eleven!”

Rubedo laughed, “I told you we let you sleep late!”  he waved her to the fire, where a warm smell was flooding from.  Rubedo sat down, his coat shrugged off to reveal brown pants and an ivory-colored shirt that hung comfortably on him.

Azara handed Luna a bit of warmed dried meat.   Luna thanked her and went to her own pack, bringing back three of the blackberry tarts Madre had packed for her and giving one to each of her companions, even breaking off a bit for Aliqu.  Rubedo and Azara thanked her gratefully.

“Incredibilis!”  Rubedo breathed as he took his first bite.  “These are incredible!  Can I have Madre in our kitchen?”

Luna nodded and smiled, “She’s a wonderful cook.  She’s been teaching me how to cook too.  She says she knows I’ll never need it, but it’s good to know how.” She looked down at the nibbled-on tart in her hands.  “I always loved being in the kitchen with her, all those smells... spices and herbs...”  She fell silent at that, staring down at the tart and pulling it apart in thought.

“Awww...” Azara said gently, “Homesick?”

Luna laughed softly, tinges of pink grazing her cheeks, “Maybe a little...”

Rubedo looked at her, not being able to help but notice the lovely blush, “Don’t worry, it’s always rough at first, it’ll get better, it will.”  His first thought was to touch her shoulder or pat her hand, one of the many ways he would comfort Comitis or Azara, but he couldn’t bring himself to.  He was worried it would seem too forward in the eyes of her ever-careful society.

Azara rose and started packing up her things, and Rubedo followed suit, helping Luna and teaching her the knots used to keep things securely fastened.  Before they left Rubedo buried the glowing coals and lifted Luna onto Dominica, this time warning her before he did so.

He truly didn’t mind sharing a horse.  She sat in front of him, her legs dangling on the left side of the horse.  She never leaned against him (though he wouldn’t have minded,) but held her back straight, her hands folded delicately in her lap.

Rubedo had to giver her some credit, not too many people could sit on a horse side-saddle and hold on to nothing, but still manage to keep sitting straight and not falling off.

“How are you doing over there Luna?”  Azara asked after while.

“Oh!”  Luna started and shook her head as though coming out of a daydream, “Oh, I’m fine.”

“Sore, are you?”  Azara asked.  Rubedo was urged to chastise her for being so nosy, but decided against it when Luna started to laugh.

“A little.”  She confessed, moving on of her palms below her neck as she nodded.

“You’re better than I’ve been.”  Rubedo mumbled.

“I remember that, I do!”  Azara burst, hearing his comment.  “That was so funny!”

Rubedo glared, “Maybe for you, I couldn’t walk straight!”

Luna rose an eyebrow, looking back at him, “Did you fall of?”

Azara could tell by the blush what her brother was thinking and laughed with rapture.

“Th-there’s a town up ahead.”  Rubedo stuttered, “If you would like Princess, we can stay there for the night.”

Luna nodded, completely unaware of the joke between Rubedo and his sister, “Yes Rubedo, I’d like that.”

Rubedo sighed, Wonderful.  We’ve been on the road less than a week and already I’ve made a fool of myself.

Luna looked up at him, “Rubedo, you look flushed, is something the matter?”

He looked down at her, startled by her concern.  “Oh, no worries Princess Lunamis.”  He assured, raising his head so he could see the road, smiling despite his embarrassment.  “No worries.”


There’s that strange noise again...

Luna sat up on her mat, unable to ignore the crunching and crackling of twigs and brittle leaves in the woods any longer.  She had already donned her white over-robes; fearful of the strange being that lurked about so restlessly.  She missed the town they had stayed in the night before, so safe and comfortable.

Another twig snapped behind her, closer than ever before.  She wondered why Azara hadn’t woken up, she was a much lighter sleeper than her.  She rose unsteadily to her feet, glancing around herself in paranoia.  She thought about waking Azara but decided against it.  She trusted Azara, but would rather have Rubedo awake with her.

After treading softly to him, she kneeled down by his sleeping figure. After gently shaking his shoulder he stirred and rolled over to face her,“What the hell?”  He murmured sleepily, blinking a few times before Luna came into focus, “Oh, Princess Lunamis! What are you doing up?”  He was thankful for the darkness, already feeling the heat of an obvious blush on his face.

Luna glanced around, her anxiety apparent even in the dark, “There have been a lot of strange noises tonight.  Rubedo, I’m frightened!”

Rubedo cocked his head to the side, still not quite lucid enough to register what she was saying to him.  Luna continued to look at him, her bright eyes flickering in the undulating light of the half-dead coals.

He shook his head, willing away sleep.  “What exactly do you mean-” He yawned, “-by strange’ noises?”

Luna looked around again, “Something moving around in the woods... whatever it is, it’s moving restlessly, pacing.”  She paused, “I keep hearing it get closer and closer to me...”

Rubedo smiled sleepily, a chuckle escaping, “It’s probably just some Forest People, that or a curious animal.”

“Forest People?”  Luna asked nervously.

“No worries.”  He assured, “They’re people who reside in heavily forested areas... they like their privacy so they usually live away from other people.”

Luna glanced towards the forest, “Are... are they magik users?”

Rubedo nodded, yawning again. “Yes, they’re a branch of Black Mages actually.  A bit more.... eccentric though.

“What...exactly do you mean..”  She asked suspiciously. “Eccentric?”

Rubedo laughed softly, “They’re just a little... odd.”  He laughed again, his crooked smile appearing.  “They live in treetops, they do!”  Luna didn’t laugh, just continued to stare at him anxiously. “No worries.” He said gently, patting her wringing hands without thinking.

“I am worried though.”  She confessed, looking behind her.  “Are you sure they mean us no harm?”

Rubedo nodded, “I’m sure Princess, don't worry.  They’re probably just watching us to make sure we don’t mean them any harm �" they're worried too, I bet!”  He smiled, “If anything does happen, I’ll be right here, I will.”

He paused for a moment before speaking again, “If you want, Princess.”  He said softly, feeling an odd warmth inside of him, “You could sleep a bit closer to the fire... closer to me.  I wouldn’t mind, if that will help you sleep sounder.  And of course, if you don’t mind, Princess.”

Luna looked up at him, “What if something else is out there?”

Rubedo shook his head, “I already told you, I’ll be right here.”

She looked towards Azara’s sleeping figure and back to Rubedo, “I don’t know...” She bit her lower lip, “It isn’t very appropriate...”

Rubedo smiled reassuringly, “If you don’t want to, it’s your choice, but I wouldn’t tell a soul, I just want you to feel safe.”

Luna smiled, and looked from her mat to Rubedo again, then rose and walked towards her bedroll.  She returned quickly with her mat and blanket, Aliqu stumbling sleepily at her heels.  She lay down her mat so the fire separated them, then lay down and pulled the quilt over her.

“Princess, if I may make a suggestion...”  Rubedo said carefully, “You don’t have to sleep with your over-robes on, it must be horribly uncomfortable with all the layers, Azara usually-”

“Oh no, I’m fine.”  Luna said quickly.

“Are you sure?”  Rubedo said gently, “I wouldn’t look, I’ll keep my back to you, I will.”

“I’ll be alright.”  She assureds hurriedly, closing her pretty eyes.

Rubedo heaved a sigh, lying down on his side.  Now that he was up, he couldn’t make himself go back to sleep.  He turned his head towards the fire, looking at Luna through the smoke.  He watched her for a while, the blankets pulled up to her chin, her tiny figure rising and falling with her soft breaths.  She seemed to be dreaming, a very small smile on her lips, and her eyes moving gently back and forth beneath closed eyes.

After a long while Rubedo tore his eyes away, rolling over on his back to see the stars.  He glanced towards the woods as sleep descended on him, weighing his body down until he finally surrendered and closed his eyes.  He was greatly mistaken about figure in the woods, and the sleep he now slept was an unnatural one

No Forest People were in sight.


The pup, unaffected by the slumber of her companions, awoke to the sound of twigs crunching in the woods.  Growling softly she went to investigate, slinking into the woods with her ears back and curled tail high.

Good.  Thought the man crouching in the darkness.  That should keep that little wretch busy.  He smiled, thinking himself cunning.  Nothing like a big marrow-filled bone to distract a pup.

The dark-cloaked man crept out of the clearing and past the sleeping Black Mage boy.  How his master hated that boy!  He glared down at the sleeping Black Mage.  This boy was hardly out of his childhood days, barely scraping marrying age with his fingertips.  How could such a young boy cause his master so much grief?

He turned to look for what he came for, noticing the Princess.  Smiling wickedly he kneeled down beside her sleeping figure.  She was just as beautiful as people said she was, if not more!  Her skin so fair and creamy, so smooth...

He stroked her cheek with the tips of his fingers, such a lovely face!  He brushed some hair out of her eyes, soft as silk.

*Rapcious!*

The man twitched at his master’s harsh voice.  He hated his master’s “sending” technique.

*For the sake of God, man, control yourself!”

Rapcious bowed his head, still stealing looks at the girl as he did so.  *Yes sir.*  He sent back, a bit curtly.

*Oh Rapcious, stop your pouting!  You will remember, dear Oriel’s downfall was his own lust.  If he hadn’t spawned that hell-child over there, many of our troubles would have ceased long ago!*

  Rapcious knew his master spoke of the Black Mage boy, still asleep.  He looked just like his father.  He felt sorry for what had happened to Oriel.  He had always admired the man.

*Wait.* His master continued, interrupting his thoughts, *We’ll have the girl when we need her, be patient.”

*Yes, Dominion.* Rapcious whispered, backing away from the girl and back into the forest, stealing a last look at the Black Mage.

It was just like looking at Oriel.


“Come along now,  Luna!”  Azara said, shaking the princess for a second time.  “What’s wrong with you this morning, are you ill?”

Luna rose slowly, her hand on her head.  “I just couldn’t sleep well last night.  I slept for a bit, but awoke with the queerest feeling!”

Azara nodded in understanding, motioning her to continue.  “I felt... it felt as though someone touched my hair.”  Luna said, “At first, I believed it to be Yami, automatically really.  He’s always done that.  When hair gets in my eyes, he moves it.  It’s just a habit I suppose... but when I awoke...” She paused and lowered her voice, “No one was there... and I remembered Yami is weeks away from us...” She thought, trying to remember the other details, “After I awoke from that, I felt as though someone was watching me… studying me.”

“I felt the same, I did.”  Azara said, smiling reassuringly, “You were probably dreaming of home, and in your dream Yami pushed hair out of your eyes, so when you woke up you thought you had felt someone do just that.”

“Maybe…”

“And you felt you were being watched?”  Azara asked, throwing back her head and laughing, “That was probably my brother!  He doesn’t mean to, but when he has trouble sleeping he tends to watch others sleep.”   She patted Luna’s hand, “He doesn’t mean anything by it, he doesn’t, it’s more a protective thing than anything else.”

Luna heaved a relieved sigh, “Speaking of which, where is Rubedo?”

Azara shrugged, “Probably out to find the shortcut trail.”

“Shortcut trail?”   Luna asked sleepily.

Azara nodded, “Aye, it’s difficult to find, but it will take many days out of our journey.  Rubedo just doesn’t want to take the risk of taking any shortcuts unless we go via the trail, it’s very easy to get lost.”

Luna nodded, “How long is the trail?”

Azara grinned, “It’s a one to three-day trail that cuts straight to Drajan.  It isn’t always safe though �" if we’ve had too much rain it gets slippery, so he’s checking its condition.”

“Good morning, Princess Lunamis!”  The girls turned towards the snapping sounds of twigs as Rubedo emerged from the forest, smiling cheerfully.  He had been silent until noticing Luna, and now made quite a ruckus as he pushed away the brush, a small twig nested in his hair.  “Sleep well?”

Luna shook her hooded head, smiling sleepily.  “Odd dreams.”  She murmured.

“Did you find it?”  Azara asked distractedly, throwing Luna concerned looks.”

Rubedo nodded, “Yes, it’s about ten minutes from here.”  He glanced at Luna, furrowing his brow, “It should cut a few days off the trip, we’ll probably get home-”

“To Drajan!”  Azara shouted joyfully.

“-By tomorrow.”  He finished, giving his sister a sour look.

Azara smiled at him, “Are you sure it’s the right trail?”  She rolled her eyes, “I don't feel like getting lost.”

He grinned, “Azara, my dear sister, have I ever steered you wrong?”

Azara looked at her brother adoringly, “No, not once.”

“Exactly.”  He said, giving a quick nod.

Once on the trail they mounted their horses again, the thick brush that prevented them from riding now left behind them.  As they rode Rubedo found his eyes continuously floating towards Luna, she looked so exhausted!  Her eyes kept fluttering closed and her head would lower, only to jerk back up again.  He wondered how many nights it had been since she had slept well.  Only one night of lost sleep didn’t make someone this tired.

“Princess Lunamis,” He said softly, abandoning the reigns from one to touch her shoulder.  “Why don’t you sleep?”

She shook her head, “I can’t, and I’ll fall off.”

Rubedo waved his hand dismissively, “Lean back against me Princess.  I won’t allow you to fall, I won’t.”

She stayed silent for a few seconds, then turned to look at him, “Are you sure you don’t mind?”

“Not a bit, you need sleep.”

 Luna smiled and nodded, leaning back and closing her eyes.  She was asleep in seconds.

Azara smiled fox-like at her brother.  “Nice move lover-boy.  Enjoy her fair lady being so close to you?”

Rubedo blushed, a sheepish smile curling his lips despite himself.  “Ha ha.”  He said blandly, “What?  She needs sleep, she does!”

Azara’s smiling only got bigger as her younger brother wrapped one arm around the girl’s waist.  At his sister’s giggle he glared at her indignantly.  “So she won’t fall off!”

“Uh-huh.”  She replied skeptically, “Keep telling yourself that.”

Rubedo smiled, trying to ignore his sister.  “You’re doing it again, Azara.”  He said in a whisper.

“Doing what?”

“You're trying to make a series of perfectly logical and innocent actions into something romantic and dramatic.”

Nothing.”  Azara assured, “You do is innocent, my in-denial little brother.”

“I am not in denial!”

“Think what you want, whatever helps you get to sleep at night.”

Rubedo sighed, glad when his sister silenced and left him to his thoughts.  He finally relaxed, savoring the feeling of the light weight resting against his chest and the soft hair grazing his neck as the warm wind blew.

He was glad his sister remained silent.


There was nothing but forest.  Trees, brush, and thorns.  Luna had slept well the past few days so she was back to her normal, curious self.  The Princess looked around, listening to Azara and Rubedo talk about this and that.   No matter how hard she tried she could see no break in the trees.

“Rubedo?”  She asked.

He looked down at her, “Aye?”

“Didn’t you say you lived in a valley?”

Rubedo raised an eyebrow, “Aye... why?”

Luna gestured to the infinity of trees.  “You said we’d arrive within a few hours, if your judgment is correct we should arrive in an hour... yet I see no valley, not even the smallest break in the trees.”  Her clear eyes looked at his, “Are you playing a joke?”

Azara laughed, Rubedo just smiled, “Oh, we do live in a valley, you will see soon.  Just wait, any moment now.”  He pointed to the trail ahead, clogged with green leaves and brush, making very little visible in front of the horses’ noses.  “And don’t blink.”  He added, winking at her.

Luna obeyed.  She had to take a quick blink once or twice, but kept her eyes as wide as she could.  Rubedo was right, if she had blinked at the wrong moment, she would’ve missed it.  Once second there was unbroken forest, then with no warning, a mammoth gash appeared ahead of them, slicing the lands as far as the eye could see.  Luna felt a gasp escape her at the beauty of it.

The entire valley was cloaked in green, accented by a vast waterfall cascading down the right of the valley, throwing a permanent rainbow in its spray before pooling into a deep blue lake.  Another river stretched towards the outer edge of the valley, flowing into oblivion.

Nestled in the corner of the valley stood a small town, wispy columns of smoke rising from it.  A wide, clear river flowed through the center of the settlement.  One tiny house was set a bit apart from the town, its back facing the endless fields and rolling hills nestled inside this huge crack in the earth.

“Drajan.”  Rubedo whispered with reverence at the sight of his home.  He dismounted, helping Luna off after him.  Once Azara had dismounted her own horse Luna gave Rubedo a confused glance.

“Why are we getting off?” She asked, “You said it wasn’t much farther.... shouldn’t we keep going?”

Rubedo shook his head, “The path gets extremely steep from here, it does, we can’t ride the horses down.  In fact...” He turned towards the horses, gesturing towards a side path, “Dominica, Mitis!  Domum-Hye!”

At his command, both horses turned and galloped down the small path, crashing through the brush as they did so.  Aliqu jumped to the side and laid back her ears, barking at the sudden commotion.

“The horses!”  Luna protested.

Rubedo smiled, waving her fear away, “No worries, Princess.  The path is incredibly steep; I don’t want to risk the horses falling.  They’re going a different way, they’ll meet us where the paths cross.”

Luna looked at him, “If the path over there is less steep, why don’t we go down that one?”

“Well,” Rubedo said, “The there’re a lot of snakes and crumbled away path.  Horses can sense snakes better than we could, and us going with them would risk not only us, but the horses getting bitten also.  Also, they have to jump over a few pits, and I can hardly stay on myself when they jump that far at a full gallop, and I’ve been riding all my life.  I’m afraid you wouldn’t have a chance, no offense meant.”

“None taken.”  She said.

Rubedo put his hat back on his head, adjusting it out of its usually crooked angle, only to have it slant back, tipped down to the left.  He shrugged nonchalantly and looked down at Luna.

“Remember you highness, if a human breaks his leg, it means a month or two in bed.  If a horse breaks his leg it usually means being put down.”

Luna nodded solemnly, Rubedo fixed her with a soft glance, “No worries Princess Lunamis, they’ll be just fine.”

The princess smiled timidly, then looked around, her smile fading into a frown,  “Where’s Azara?”

      Rubedo spun around with a frustrated groan, “She’s already gone down the path!  Impatient little tart.”  Realizing what he had said, he snapped his head towards Luna in panic.

Luna gracefully placed her hands over her mouth, laughing.  After a few seconds her laughter ceased and she placed her hands behind her back, looking up at Rubedo with her gem-like eyes.  “Well, we had better catch up then, now shouldn’t we?”

Rubedo smiled and nodded, “Aye, that we should.” He motioned for her to follow him down the path, telling her to watch her step.  Luna followed him closely, her hand sometimes knocking his fingertips as it swung gently by her side.

“The path is getting awfully steep.”  Luna whispered as the path sloped downward, almost calling for one to scale the path.  But luckily it had plenty of rocks for footing and rubbery saplings available as handholds, which Luna took full advantage of.  Sharp rocks overhung the slope, jutting out like little platforms of stone.  Rubedo moved closer to Luna, fearing she would fall.

“Princess Lunamis, “He warned gently, “Be careful of the overhangings, they aren’t sturdy, they aren’t.  Avoid them if you can.”  She nodded, stumbling and catching her footing again.  He offered her his arm, “Do you want to hold on to me?”

Luna smiled and shook her head, “No... I think I... have it.”  She looked at him, “Thank you though.”

Rubedo smiled, letting his arm fall back to his side.  “Alright then.”  He knew very well what she was doing; she was trying to prove she could hold her own ground.

Aliqu, who had been scampering up and down the trail with ease, came dashing past them holding a sun-bleached bone.

Rubedo rose an eyebrow, “Where’d she get that old thing?”

Luna shrugged, “I don’t know, she’s been carrying it around for the past few days, I think she must have gotten it the day you found-”

Luna stumbled, catching her foot on a root and stumbling onto a overhanging.  It crumbled underneath her and she fell, screaming in surprise.

Rubedo’s arm shot out, grabbing her around her waist while grounding his own heels into the earth as he successfully caught her, barely keeping his own balance.

In shock they both froze. Luna breathed rapidly and clutched his hands, shivering in relief.  Once shock loosened its grip on Rubedo he slowly pulled her back up so she was on solid ground, as flat as he could find.  The path was getting steeper by the second.

“Are you alright?”  Rubedo asked, alarmed.  “Are you hurt?”

Luna shook her head, he felt her hands shaking madly, still clutching his own.  “I-I’m just startled, that’s all.”

Rubedo nodded, keeping one arm around her waist and reaching to clasp her left hand with his.  “I’m going to hold on to you from now on, whether you like it or not.  This path is getting a little too dangerous for you.”  He loosened his grip around her waist, but still was ready to catch her if she were to fall again.  “Watch your step, Princess.”

When they finally arrived at the crossways, his sister was already waiting, tossing her hair to the side as she grinned, “Took you two long enough.”  She smirked at her brother and the princess as they came onto the flat path, “I’ve been here over thirty minutes, I have.”  She bragged, grinning at her brother, “And you two?”

Rubedo sneered, “Azara, you know very well.  I was trying to take it slow for Princess Lunamis.”  He turned, the sneer fading into a kind smile, “She did a lot better than I thought she would.  Her highness held herself pretty well, that she did!”

Luna blushed happily, smiling and looking down at her shoes.  Rubedo looked at them both and nodded.  “Well, come along ladies, I see Mitis and the demon-horse right over there.”  In the distance, a dark horse jerked its head up at the phrase, “demon-horse.”

As they started proceeding towards the horses, they turned and began galloping towards their masters.  Mitis stopped in front of Azara, whinnying and nuzzling her lovingly.

Dominica bit Rubedo’s shoulder.

“Toeska!  Dominica you little wretch!”  Luna laughed, noticing he tended to roll certain sounds while making others choppy when he was angry.  He turned towards her, laughing nervously and rubbing his throbbing shoulder.  “I think she heard the “demon-horse” comment.  Something tells me she didn’t like being called that!”

Dominica barred her teeth indignantly.

“Well you are!”  Rubedo insisted to the horse, popping her on the nose.

Luna smiled, “Well, if I were a horse and you called me that, I’d bite you too!”  She laughed and walked past Rubedo, patting Dominica’s velvety nose.  The horses brown eyes fluttered closed contently and her head lowering.

Rubedo grinned with satisfaction.  Very few people could get anywhere near Dominica without her getting annoyed.  And there was Luna, petting and nuzzling her, to Dominica’s obvious enjoyment.  Rubedo found very few people who could even ride her, and he had found nobody who could pet his horse in such a short time.

“Perhaps.”  Azara would later comment, “She senses her master’s fondness for the girl.”

Rubedo still had to help her mount the horse, but she could almost do it by herself.  She was still unable to jump high enough to reach the horses back without help from him.

She looked back at him, eyes wide with excitement, “Oh, I can smell the smoke!  I can’t wait to see your home!”

Rubedo grinned, reaching for the reigns and nudging Dominica to a brisk trot.  “You know,” Rubedo said slyly, “If we gallop, we’d get to Drajan much faster...”

Luna shook her head, “I don’t know how to gallop!”

“We’ll get there in under half an hour!”

“Please don’t!”  She begged.

Rubedo grinned, leaning forwards, “She’s speeding up!  She’s speeding up!”

“Don't you dare!  Rubedo!”

Dominica took off galloping at full speed, Luna yelled his name again, leaning back and clutching Rubedo’s knees, squeezing her eyes shut.  Within seconds Rubedo had slowed Dominica to a walk, his joke finished.  Luna was breathing hard, still clutching his knees.  It was a good thing he hadn’t noticed.

“See now?”  He said, steadying her.  “That wasn’t so bad, now was it?”  He lowered his voice, apologetic.  “Sorry, couldn’t help myself, I couldn’t.  We can trot from here on out.”

Luna looked at him with a wide smile lighting her face.  “N-no, that was... exhilarating!”  She laughed, “We can gallop, I’ll just hold onto the-” Luna looked down at the saddle, then as Azara pulled up beside them, she spoke slowly.

“Rubedo...” She asked, “Where is the horn?”

“Eh?”

“The horn to the saddle, you don’t have one.  Where is it?”

Azara burst out laughing, leaning forward on Mitis neck and laughing so hard tears collected in her eyes.  Rubedo was blushing a vivid crimson, his hair becoming more pink than red in comparison.

Luna looked from one to the other, confused, “What?  What did I say?”

Azara wiped tears of joy from her eyes.  “Remember when Rubedo and I told you he hurt himself while on a horse?”

“Azara! Hush!”  Rubedo snapped, a begging tone in his voice.

Luna nodded, looking at Rubedo, “Yes, you said you couldn’t walk straight?”

Azara giggled, “Let’s just say Rubedo’s little injury resulted from a buck of a horse and the horn of his saddle!”

Rubedo groaned miserably, leaning back and running his fingers through his hair, the unpleasant memory of a young, unbroken yearling named Dominica deciding to rear up her back hooves at a horrible moment returning to his thoughts.

Luna cocked her head to the side, “Exactly how do you manage to injure yourself on none of those things?”  She asked, looking at Rubedo, “Unless your foot caught it and you got stuck, and were dragged along while the horse galloped over fallen trees and sharp stones.”

Azara continued to laugh at her brother, “Well, I’m sure it felt like he was being dragged over fallen trees and sharp stones!”  Rubedo felt his face grow hotter as his sister continued, “He’s paranoid, so he cut off the horn.  He thinks it’s just, ‘a little too close-’”

“That’s enough Azara!”  Rubedo burst, his face now flushed from a mix of embarrassment and now annoyance.

Azara rolled her eyes, “Oh it’s not that bad!”

Luna looked horribly confused, “What are you people going on about?  Is this an inside joke?”

Rubedo looked down at her, blushing feverishly, starting Dominica into a trot, “Kind of...”

It took Azara most of the way to the village to get back into her younger brother’s good graces.  He had finally forgiven her within five minutes from the village, where people were scattered in chores or recreation.

It didn’t take long for them to stumble upon Rubedo’s friends.  One, a fair-haired teenager known as Madidus, was the first to see them all.  He rose from the stump he had been sitting on, and tapped the other boy on the back.  A dark haired boy looked at them with golden, hawk-like eyes, smiling softly.

“Oi!”  He called in greeting, “Rubedo, Azara!  Salve?”

Salve!”  Madidus called, grinning widely.

Rubedo dismounted and shook both his friends’ hands exuberantly, embracing them both.  “Madidus!  Viktor!  How have you lot been?”  He said this in omnimundus, signaling them to do the same.

Madidus laughed, “Fine, fine!  We want to know how you’re doing!”  He lowered his voice considerably and launched into speech that Luna couldn’t understand.

Whatever he had said seemed both amusing and embarrassing to Rubedo, who laughed and flushed, shaking his head and waving his hands.  “Quinymo, quinymo!”

The Black Mage tongue.

“Ugh.”  Azara scoffed, rolling her eyes, “Men’s talk.”  Luna raised her eyebrows in question, curious to what they were saying.  Azara noticed her curiosity, “You don't want to know.”  She told her.  It had rather annoyed her, Madidus describing Lunamis as, “finely formed.”  She would have to give that boy a lecture later.  He could at least hold his tongue in front of women.  Azara would have to talk to her brother too, for laughing and encouraging Madidus.

“I’m going to take Luna to the house!”  She yelled over the boy’s commotion.

Rubedo turned and nodded, looking at Luna, “Can you ride on your own?  I’ll escort you to the house-”

“She’s staying at your house?”  Madidus exploded.  Both young men laughed and started yelling things to Rubedo, who flushed and laughed just as he had before, telling them both to be quiet, but still laughing with them.

Rubedo blushed sheepishly and finished what he was saying, “Anyway, I can ride with you-”

“What’s on your mind, Rubedo?”  This time Madidus’ laughter was ceased when Rubedo hit him in the back of the head.

“I can see these nimrods anytime I want, I can.”  He said, glaring at Madidus, “I’ll come if you want.”

Luna adjusted herself on the saddle, holding the reigns hesitantly, very confused about their behavior.  “Um... yes...” She smiled and nodded her hooded head.  “Yes, I think I can, I’ve watched you enough.”  She clicked her tongue as she had seen Rubedo do, edging Dominica on.  Rubedo watched her go, waving slightly when she turned and smiled at him, and continued to watch until they had disappeared into the village.

Madidus leaned against a tree, a single brow raised and a smile cocked suggestively.  “So... a princess, eh?”

Hearing this Azara scoffed and rolled her eyes, “As though we don’t have ears.”

A group of five or so young men stayed together for almost an hour, talking about this and that.  What had been happening in the village, Madidus’ most recent drunken episode, and Rubedo’s most recent journeys, of course.  His fights and struggles, the Betrothal ceremony and the honorary ball, (he had offhandedly mentioned that he was on the “Important Persons” list). Out of all these things they spoke mostly of one thing.  Princess Lunamis Angelique.

“I’ve got to hand it to you, Rubedo!”  Madidus said, nudging him in the ribs with his elbow, “She’s a beauty!”

“Aye.”  Viktor agreed, “That she is, she is very beautiful.”

“Yes.”  One of them said, winking at Rubedo, “From what Madidus said, very nicely formed.”

Rubedo flushed, “You lot are going on as though we’re courting, you are.”  He took a few steps back from his friends.  “I’m her bodyguard, a hired hand to protect her.”

“Really?”  Said one, “How much are they paying you?”

Rubedo felt his face grow warm, “Well... I’m not being paid per say... it’s more of a volunteer  thing-”

“Or an attempt to sweep her off her feet?”  All the boys laughed.  Rubedo rolled his eyes, catching a glimpse of the sun as he did.

“Damn!  I’ve been here over an hour, I have! I need to get back home!”  He swept his hat off the ground and took off towards home.  “I’ll see you all later!”  He dashed towards his house, knowing he was in for one long lecture from his older sister.


Lunamis immediately fell in love with the Patronus home.  It was beautiful, made completely of strong, dark wood.  This had been the house she had seen that was set away from the main village.  A small lake pooled behind the house, not the huge one she had seen from the top of the valley, but it was still deep, clear, and beautiful.  She wondered if it froze over in the winter, and whether the Patronus siblings slid along the ice on cold afternoons.

It was cool in the house.  Open windows, plated with lovely, clear glass, allowed a fresh zephyr to flow into the rooms. It felt welcoming, as her own bed did after a long day on her feet.

There was a sitting room, complete with a huge fireplace, chairs, and bookshelves.  All the shelves were stuffed so full they seemed to bulge outwards; many of them seemed to be herbal books, with sketches of plants on the spines.

They had a kitchen filled to the brim with herbs and spices. Dried onions, garlic, and peppers hung from the ceiling; also some flowers had been dried and lay in baskets, also hanging from the ceiling.  There was a table where the family of two would eat their meals, although she counted four chairs, and a few more to the side.  They also had a rather large pantry where a mix of dried goods and what seemed to be medical supplies were stored.

Luna was shown they had an indoor bathing room, just as she had at home, along with a pump that flowed straight into the tub.  “Thank the Creator for the miracle of running water!”  Azara had said.  “We use magik to power it.”  She gestured to an onyx stone centered on the pump handle.  “Just turn that knob there, and water-oh, by the way, we have to heat it if you want it to be hot, I’ll explain in a minute.  Anyway turn it that, yes just like that, and hoy!   Running water!”

She gestured towards the door.  “To heat it you have to fuel the stove underneath.  It’s outside but don't worry, you can sweet-talk Rubedo into going out there and heating it for you.”  She laughed, “If I can, then you definitely can!”

“We also have another indoor pump.”  She continued, leading Luna back into the kitchen, past the pantry and through a small door.  “We have one in the barn too, and few scattered in the fields.”  She gestured towards a door, “That back door leads outside. This pump is for drinking water, or washing your hands and whatnot before eating.”

Luna made a mental note of all this technology to bring it back to her city as proof of the Black Mage's ingenuity.

Azara last showed her the bedrooms.  Rubedo's was at the end of the hall, although all Luna saw was the closed door.  Before his door, on the left side of the hall was Azara’s room, her door was open, and Luna could easily see inside.  By the window there was a half-painted canvas, and many oiled colors used for painting.  Luna assumed Azara had artistic skill, she had noticed a few other easels around the house.

“Here’s where you’ll be staying.”  Azara said, leading her to the other side of the house and opening a third door.  The room was cozy, a small woodstove stood in the corner, near a chair and a small bed.  Luna sat down on it, sinking into the soft mattress.  She ran her hand along an intricately carved headboard, made of a hard, dark wood.  Aliqu leaped onto the bed, surveying it herself.  After sniffing around she plopped onto a pillow and fell asleep.

“I thought you said this was your late parent’s room.”  Luna said, getting up to look at the two mounted staffs, one on either side of the bed.  Both the nexus crystals were missing.

“It was.”  Azara said quietly, gesturing to the staffs.  “Those belonged to my parents, the one on the left was Papa’s, and the one on the right was Mother’s.  It’s custom, the nexus crystals are removed and destroyed, they are, but the staffs are given to the closest family.”

“But...” Luna said carefully, trying not to step on thin ice, “All this furniture looks so... new.  Your parents died-”

“We got rid of most of their things.”  Azara said quietly.

A mental image of that fire burned back into her mind.

“Rubedo what are you doing?”

“What does it look like I’m doing?”

“Why are you-”

“I don’t want to see any of his things again!”

Azara shook her head, willing away the memory of her brother, blindfolded and standing by the blazing inferno... and those terrible bandages on his wrists.

“We kept a few things.”  She said, pushing away the image,  “The rocker in the sitting room was our mother’s.  If either of us awoke in a fright she’d rock us in her lap and sing to us until we fell asleep.”  She furrowed her brow, “It annoys me so much, I can’t remember the song she used to sing to us... Rubedo remembers, but he doesn’t like to talk about it.  He always changes the subject, he does.”

Luna looked at Azara solemnly, “Was Rubedo close to your parents?”

Azara shook her head, “It depends. He and my father loathed each other, Rubedo-” She trailed off, “But he and our mother were close, they were.”  She smiled, “He always tried to protect her from anything that threatened her, even when he was a little boy.”

“What happened to them?”

Azara looked at her, then shook her head again,.  “That’s not for me to say Luna.  Rubedo will tell you what happened if he feels he can.  It’s not my place.”

Luna nodded, blushing, “Of course! I understand... sorry.”

Azara smiled and waved her off, “Oh don't bother yourself over it, as my brother would say, ‘no worries!’”

She nodded but fell quiet, looking out the window.  She wasn’t close to her own parents, but to completely lose them?  It must have been tragic and sudden since Azara seemed so reluctant to talk about it.

Azara had busied herself with helping Luna unpack.  She turned to look at her guest and grinned, “You know, you may get to see my little brother dance, you might.”

“Dance?”  Luna asked, “How so?”

“Exordium Fabula.” Azara said, “The Beginning Tale.  It’s a yearly ceremony where we tell the story of creation �" there’s singing and dancing and the best food you’ll ever eat!” She remembered who she was talking to and hastily added, “Well, the best you’ll ever eat here, it is.”

“A party?”

Azara laughed, “A performance, a party, a ceremony, a feast!  That is the Black Mage way, that it is!”

Luna leaned forward in interest, “It sounds wonderful!”

“Hopefully you’ll still be here.”  Azara said as she nodded in agreement, “It’s quite the party and…”

She paused, what would Luna think of the celebration?  Things always got out of hand for their small village parties, but this would be celebrated by Black Mages in surrounding villages, all pouring into Drajan.  And if the rumors that Alchemists would be attending were true, then things would be more out of hand than usual.   She had only been to one White Mage party, and it was so calm and controlled… and it wasn’t at all uncommon for things to be set on fire during Black Mage celebrations.

As though sensing her concern, Luna asked in an eager voice, “Please tell me.  I grew up hearing stories about other places �" Yami told me.”  She hesitated before adding, “I’ve… never been outside the city until very recently… it’s wonderful to hear about how other people live.”

Azara’s eyes widened at the thought.  “Never?”

Luna shook her head.

“Well… it’s actually quite hard to explain…” She smiled, “Now I really hope you’re here for it, I do.”  Her smile stretched into a grin, “Over dinner I’ll have Rubedo tell you some stories �" he always tells the Black Mage tales so well!”

“What are you two saying about me?”  Footsteps came towards the closed door, then a light, brisk knock.  “Am I allowed to come in a listen to your conversation about the things I say?”

Luna laughed, “Come in, Rubedo.”

He pushed his way into the room, rubbing the back of his neck,  “Ah… I’m a little late, eh?”

“We’ve only been here a few hours waiting.”  Azara said in mock insistence.

Rubedo bowed to Luna, “Sorry, your highness �" it’s been so long since I’ve seen my friends I got caught up, I did.”

Azara muttered something under her breath in her native tongue for a second before her annoyed expression rapidly shifted to one of mischief �" “Oy, little brother?”

“Aye?”

“Let’s get some rest today, but tomorrow you should take the princess to see the sights?”

“Sights?”  Luna asked curiously.

“Sights?”  Rubedo echoed.

Azara grinned, “The colored fountains, take her around the town �" oh, the sea!  Rubedo, you should take her to the sea, that you should!”

“There’s a sea near here?”  Luna marveled at the thought.

“The sea is over a two hour ride from here, and-”

“But you don’t mind long rides.”  Azara said.

“I know I don't’ mind long rides.”  Rubedo sighed, rubbing his temples.  “But Princess Lunamis has been on a horse for hours everyday for nearly a month.  She probably never wants to see a horse again for as long as she-”

“I’ve never even seen the sea.”  Luna whispered quietly.  Rubedo stopped talking and looked at her.

“She’s never been outside the city.”  Azara interjected.

Rubedo’s eyes widened, “Really?”

Lunamis raised her lowered head and smiled, letting her natural feminine charm take over as she looked into Rubedo’s eyes beseechingly.  “If you don't mind... I’d really love to go...”

Rubedo opened his mouth but hesitated and shook his head.  “Of course, if you don't mind the long trip... aye I’ll take you!”  He stood up straighter, regaining his usual composure.  “I’ll get you there early too, I will!  Aye, we could spend the whole day there!”

Azara beamed, watching the small smile light up on Luna’s face.  “I think you’ll really love it, Princess, it’s really is a beautiful beach.”  She sighed, “You can see the sun rise over the water and you can watch it set over the Dolus Mountains...” Azara said blissfully.  Then she shook her head, snapping out of her trance.  “I better go work on supper.  Rubedo, do you mind chopping some wood while I do that?  We’re getting low.”

Rubedo nodded, “I’ll be done hopefully before supper.  Remember I still have to put the horses up.”

Luna looked at Azara, “May I help with dinner?  I help all the time back home, and I‘ve cooked a good many meals without help too.”

Azara nodded, “That’d be great, I could use some help.  And you!”  Rubedo froze halfway out the door.  “Chop the logs like everyone else - no magik!  You remember what happened last time you tried that!”

Rubedo muttered something under his breath and walked out.  Luna looked at Azara.  “What exactly did happen?”

Azara laughed, “Oh, magik energy got into the logs and they combusted as soon as fire touched them.  Nearly burned the house down, it did.”

“Oh, dear!”

She laughed, “It wouldn’t be the first things he’s burnt down, and I’m sure it won’t be the last!”


Finally, last one!  Rubedo jammed a steel wedge into the middle of the final log, aiming carefully; he swung a heavy mallet and came in contact with the wedge.  The two pieces of wood flew apart and the wedge landed near the chopping block.

He picked it up, setting it back on the block.  After setting the mallet beside it and wedging the axe blade back into the block he retrieved the wood pieces.  Sighing, he placed them on the rest of the pile then called to his sister.

“Hey Zara!  Wood’s chopped, I’m going to the stables!”  He listened for an answer, only shrugging when none came.

As he opened the stable door he was greeted with the warm scent of hay and animals.  He led Dominica and Mitis to their respective stalls, supplying them with water and grain.  They both ate and drank earnestly, having only eaten grass for such a long time.  While they were distracted by food he removed the saddles set them up on hooks on the opposite wall.

He checked the three cows that belonged to them, (Clair’s family had been watching them as a favor,) and they were all in good health.  After brushing and washing down the horses he started taking off their reigns.

He turned at the groan of the opening stable doors, widening his eyes at Luna as she stood in the doorway.

“I…”  She hesitated, “I hope you don’t mind, Azara and I finished preparing dinner and-”

“And she sent you in here to tell me to ‘get in this instant.’”   He asked,putting the reign on a hook and going to open a window to give the horses some fresh air.

Luna shook her head, “No, it’s still cooking, but Azara told me she’d watch it.  I thought I’d come keep you company... if that’s alright.”

Rubedo nodded, “Of course it’s okay!  I’d like some company, I would.” The window didn’t respond to his push - it seemed some rust had fused the latch..  He rolled his eyes and continued to war with it.  “Have you ever been in a barn before?”  He asked.

Luna nodded, “A few times, with Yami.”

Rubedo was still struggling with the latch, trying to wedge his fingers underneath to get some leverage.  “D****t- oy, sorry, my apologizes, Princess.”

Luna laughed, “What’s wrong?”

Nothing, the window’s just stuck, I think I got-ah!”  He jerked his hand away, a good-sized gash arcing across his palm.  It was bleeding heavily, already covering most of his hand.  “Damn!”  He snapped over his breath.  Luna walked over to him quickly.

“Are you okay?”  She looked at his had, he could hear her take a sharp intake of breath.  “Rubedo!  What happened?”

He clutched one hand in the other, trying to stop the bleeding.  “It’s nothing, your highness, no worries.”

“Yes worries!”  Luna insisted, “Your hand is dripping with blood, Rubedo!”  She walked closer, taking his bleeding hand in hers, despite his reassurances.  “Do you have a water pump?”  She asked, trying to see the cut through the blood.

Rubedo nodded, still amazed over how much blood was starting to pool in his palm. “Aye, right over there.”  He said, gesturing to the far corner of the barn. He winced every time she touched it. Creator it hurt like hell!

“Come on.”  Luna said, leading him by his good hand, “Let’s wash this off so I can see what I’m dealing with.”  After successfully washing off most of the blood, Luna examined his hand.

Rubedo watched her study his hand in between washings.  “It’s pretty deep...” She murmured, running her fingertips gently along the cut, her brow furrowed in concentration.  At least the cold water had numbed the pain, but now he had to deal with Luna’s soft little hand going over his own.

“Rubedo.”  She said softly, looking up into his eyes.  “Relax.  All your muscles are so tense.  You have to relax all the muscles in your hand if you want me to do this right.”

Rubedo let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding.  He tried to relax, but found it difficult with Luna’s eyes on him and her hand caressing his own, unintentionally sending white-hot sparks of pain all the way to his fingertips.  He had started feeling uncharacteristically self-conscious about his own rough, callused hands.  Luna looked at him again, her amethyst eyes calm and soothing.

“Please, I don't understand why you’re so tense, it won’t hurt. Just relax, only for a second.”

Because it feels like I’m being stabbed with fire.  Rubedo thought, forcing out a breath and letting his fingers fall painfully limp.  When he did Luna murmured something under her breath. She slowly let out a breath and moved her thumb along the gash, white light silhouetting her hand.  As her thumb moved over the wound, it disappeared.  Just like that.

“Incredibilis!”  Rubedo whispered, looking at his palm.  He looked again at Luna, who was smiling gently at him.  “Incredibilis...” He whispered again, unable to say anything else.

Luna took his hand again, examining it.  ‘Clench and unclench your fist for me.  She said, still examining his hand.  He did so, and she nodded approvingly.  After going through a few more exercises, Luna seemed satisfied.

Rubedo stared at her, “What was all that for? I’ve been healed twice before, but I never had to do any of that!”

Luna cocked her head to the side.  “Where did you get healed?”

“Once here,” He said, tapping just above his ear, “And once under the ribs.”

Luna nodded, “Certain areas of the body have more complex muscle control than others.  Some places, like the hand, need to be checked to make sure nothing healed wrong �" sometimes muscles have been known to heal wrong and cause paralysis.”

“And then?”

Luna grimaced, “We have to reopen the wound and try again.”  She looked at his hand again, laying her palm against his a final time.  “Everything went perfectly.”  She said, smiling and rising.

“Re...open it?”  

“After cleaning the area and making preparations of course!” Luna added quickly, as though it would make the idea any more palpable.  

“Come on,”  She continued,” the food should be cooked by now, let’s go inside and eat.”

Rubedo stared after her, then nodded ecstatically and followed her out of the barn.


“Thanks for helping me wash up Luna.”  Both the girls stood by the water pump, washing off the cups, dishes, and silverware used for the meal.

“You were right!”  Azara continued, “That rosemary went really well on the chicken, you’re a good little cook!”

Luna blushed and thanked her quietly, shrugging it off nonchalantly.  Rubedo walked into the room and waved at Azara. “I’m going to bring Rhea into the house, she’s probably upset she’s had to stay out so long.”

Azara nodded as Rubedo walked out the door, Luna looked at Azara curiously, “Who is Rhea?”

Azara smiled mysteriously, winking at her, “Oh, you’ll see...”

After a loud, “D****t!  That’s my ear!” Was heard from the barn Rubedo returned to the house. A hawk stood on his newly-gloved arm, glaring around at them all.

“Oh!” Luna breathed with awe; she had never seen a domestic bird like that before!  The bird had a hooked black beak and cream-colored chest.  Its back and wings were decorated with dark designs, its tail the color of rust.

It regarded Luna with a pair of intelligent golden eyes, then let out a raspy screech and flew into the rafters of the house.  Rubedo smiled to himself.

“Princess Lunamis, Rhea.  Rhea, Princess Lunamis.”

Luna looked at the hawk, her mouth opened slightly in surprise and marvel.  The she looked at Rubedo, “How did you... I’ve never seen a pet like that before!”  Aliqu scooted close to Luna, not quite sure about this strange new thing.

Rubedo shrugged, “She’s not really a pet.  Get’s her own food and everything, she just kind of has a nest here, she does. Rhea, to me!”  At that the hawk spread its wings and soared to Rubedo’s outstretched arm, landing on the heavy leather glove.  He smiled at Luna, “I found her about four years back, we tried to free her, but she just kept coming back.”

Azara nodded, “Her mother was dead, and she was the only undamaged egg. Rubedo raised her, he did.”

Rubedo shrugged and looked towards Luna, “Want to pet her?”

Luna looked astounded, “I can... touch her?”

“Maybe �" come closer and we’ll see how she reacts.”

Luna cautiously walked towards Rubedo and the hawk.

Rhea cocked her head to the side, curious about his new human.  Her master seemed to approve, so perhaps the new creature should be given a chance.

Rubedo nodded in approval and Luna stroked the bird’s chest with the back of her index finger.  The bird relaxed, making a soft noise and closing her golden eyes lazily.

Rubedo laughed, startling his bird out of its stupor, “See?  Rhea here’s a people bird, she likes that, she does!”

Luna smiled.  The bird fluttered off Rubedo’s wrist to his arm nibbling his ear affectionately before fluttering up to the rafters and pecking at the wall above the door.

“She wants in the sitting room.”  Rubedo chuckled.  He opened the door and the bird quickly flew out.  He then stretched and looked around.  “I think I’m going to go on back now.  It’s been a long day, and it’s getting late.  Goodnight Azara.”  He then bowed deeply to Luna, “And a pleasant night to you, Princess Lunamis.  There are some extra quilts in the closet of your room.  Mornings get chilling in the valley, even in late spring.”

“Thank you.”  Luna said, giving a small bow.  “Goodnight Rubedo, thank you so much for allowing me into our home.”

“We’re honored.”  He said, smiling.

Luna bowed to Azara, “And thank you also, and goodnight.   I think I’ll go to bed too.”

Azara nodded, “I’ll probably stay up and work on my painting a bit, goodnight you two.”  She yawned, and as it did nearly every night, the sound of mixing paints floated from her room.


© 2015 Spider Rose


Author's Note

Spider Rose
So, this is a super-big chapter. If anyone knows of a good place to split it that'd be a very welcomed suggestion.

I'm interested in anything that you think will improve this writing. From grammar and spelling errors, to funny dialogue and plot holes that I've missed, to things that just don't sound right.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
Added on February 26, 2015
Last Updated on February 26, 2015
Tags: fantasy, mages, mage, magic, magick, series, good and evil, adventure, journey, romance ma