Chapter Five: Lilly

Chapter Five: Lilly

A Chapter by The old me

“Daddy, are monsters real?”

“No, honey.”

I lie. I lie to protect the innocence of my little girl. I couldn’t ever let her know about the darkness surrounding us. Especially all the things that went bump in the night. Lilly, so young and filled with life. She was way beyond the maturity of her age of seven. She was my little angel and really my main focus in life. I wanted to be a good father for her, unlike my father was to me. Family was important to me and I didn’t want to lose the bound with her like I did with my own family. Quite a few years ago, I lost in contact with my brother. I turned to the way of the law and he did the opposite. And after that my uncle died four years ago, the only family I had left was my sister Michelle. She was major part of my life. She helped me with Lilly a lot like watched her when I had police work or supernatural hunting. She spent a lot of time with Lilly and I. Even though Lauren didn’t really like her, it was some old high school rivalry. But I still was able to keep it all together, for now.

I start to keep a journal in little brown book. I log what I encounter and how to kill it. I record there descriptions and the locations I found them. I search for patterns in location or feeding habits.

In the last few weeks I find some more ghost cases. Fourteen more that I re-kill. I’m getting used to doing it. It becomes common in my life, I watch Lilly, I do my police work and then I hunt and kill ghosts. I’m not sure why they go after but I know they can’t hurt anyone here anymore. My brain starts to think what else can be real. I mean I have seen ghost and ghouls; anything is possible in my eyes now. I search for other strange cases.

The next interesting case that I find is a string of killings on the outside of the city near the woods. The two victims were found looking like they were attacked by animals. My first thoughts were ghouls again. But the strange part was there was only one body part missing from the body. The heart. This didn’t fit the ghouls feeding pattern. And closer looking in of the death records, both crimes were a month apart. A small thought crosses my mind so I checked the dates against the moon chart for the area and each killing was on a full moon. I guess I found myself a werewolf.

Silvers bullets are expensive on a detective’s salary. I was forced to buy them because they are the only things that can kill a werewolf. And cause of my fixed income, I was only able to buy two. The problems continued to stack up when my private life was about to interfere with my normal life. The next full moon landed on the night of Lilly’s eighth birthday party. I knew Lilly would understand if I said I had work, but my ex would have thrown a fit.

But allowing this creature to hunt and maybe kill another person, it would weigh greatly on my conscience. I would just have to go to the party and duck out early.

I would set up for the werewolf and have to make my shoots count. Two chances to hit the heart directly. Thank god I was the department’s best shooter.

After I picked up the bullets from the gunsmith, I had to figure out what to get Lilly for her birthday. I once got her a toy gun, because she was admitting mine and I didn’t want her try to play with mine. But my ex hated it and threw away. She was super protective of her. I was more of a laidback parent because I grew up with strict parents and I hated every minute of it. I decide to buy her a book. She was always reading. I get one of those horrible Twilight books. I mean if she’s going to learn about monster may as well be gay glowing ones.

I buy the book and go home to wrap it. I get ready for the party. I put on my nicer clothes and my best cologne. I shave my face. Those were all kinds that impressed and were liked by my ex. It was a little of a secret war on trying to make the other one jealous. She normally won. I almost put my wedding band back on, but stop myself. That part of my life is over now. I finish getting ready and head out.

I arrive at the party. I ring the doorbell. Lauren answers, stunning in her smooth long black hair and low cut white dress. The one I gave her a few years ago. She won this round.

“Hello, Colt.”

“Hey, Lauren.”

“Before you come in, what did you get her?”

“A book.”

“Please don’t tell me the twilight one.”

“Yeah it is.”

“Damn it Colt, you have called and asked. Alex got her the whole series.”

I make a strange face. I hate Alex. He was Lauren’s rebound after me. Well maybe more than rebound, they have been dating for about two year. He was some banker or something, I just hated him. He always tried to make me seem like a bad father. He would take Lauren and Lilly on expensive trips. I couldn’t ever afford them. And I allowed the trips because why should Lilly suffer because I can’t take her to these amazing places.

“Well I’ll just return my gift and I’ll tell her I’ll give her next weekend when I have her.”

“About that...”

“Lauren…”

“Colt. Alex and I wanted to taker to Lake Michigan next weekend. You can have her tonight and tomorrow.”

“Lauren, I can’t. I have plans tonight.”

“Hey is work or going to the bar more important than spending time with your daughter?”

No, but saving a life is. I think to myself.

“Don’t make it seem like that.”

“Work, work, work. You let it destroy our relationship, don’t allow it to destroy yours with Lilly.” Tear roll down her eyes. “What happened to us?”

I simply reply, “Life.”

I use my hand to wipe away her tears, she smiles a little.

Lilly runs up from behind Lauren towards me. Lauren turns to dry the other tears. I go on my knee to be level with Lilly. I grab her and bear hug her.

“Wow you’re getting big.”

“Daddy, that’s not something you tell a lady.”

“O well, I’m sorry mam.” I smile and mess up her hair with my hand.

Alex walks up and greets me. I walk inside and the party starts. Just a normal children’s birthday but the whole time, I’m thinking my hunt tonight.



© 2011 The old me


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Twilight is heavy reading for a seven year old but that was funny.
There were a few sentence structure and grammer issues. Most of all this was a nice chapter to connect with the character.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"I once got her a toy gun, because she was admitting [ADMIRING] mine and I didn’t want her try to play with mine."

Oh my goodness...I literally laughed out loud at the line about the Twilight book...awesome!! I like how this chapter is about personal life, rather than the hunt. It adds more dimension to the story.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011


Author

The old me
The old me

Los Angeles, CA



About
If you notice some of my work is gone, that is because it is. I trimed down to put only a few on the site. Message me if you want to know anything about me. I'm an open book more..

Writing