Chapter Sixteen: Lake of Fun

Chapter Sixteen: Lake of Fun

A Chapter by The old me

            I wake the next morning and sit at my dining room table.  Jenny is cooking me breakfast again. I like it a lot. I’m reading the paper when I see the stories of the office fire and a warehouse found with five bodies all beheaded. I actually feel good seeing them and I show it to Jenny. She laughs. That’s when I realize I left my bike there. I decide to call into the station and report it stolen. There was nothing in the report about a bike so I should be safe. I turn to Jenny and tell her about my plan.

“So this weekend when I have Lilly, I was going to take to my uncle’s old cabin up in Lake Michigan. I want you to come with us.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. She likes you and more importantly I like you.”

“Thanks and I really like you too.” She walks up and kisses me. “Oh yeah I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?”

“I looked it up and I found your brother.”

“Where is he? Prison right?”

“No. He is in a mental asylum.”

“What happened to him?”

“According to the reports. He checked himself in a few weeks ago.”

“Which mental asylum?”

“Holyfield, just outside of Chicago.”

“Why does that name seem familiar?”

“It’s in Rockwell.”

“I know that place.”

“You do?”

“Yes. I was born in that town. I’m not sure why Matt would be down there.”

“Colt, there is one other thing. Matt was somehow badly burned.”

“Alright. I will have to see him soon. I call the place and schedule a time.”

I go to the phonebook and find Holyfield mental asylum. I call it and ask get a visit. The soonest I can talk to him and his doctor is Monday. So I make the appointment. Jenny says she will cover for me at work and go with me if I want. I agree, because I’m scared to go alone. I haven’t seen Matt in years and I have no clue what happened with him.

Last time I saw him, he was breaking into Michelle’s house, trying to get a few things to pawn. I was there because I just had got divorced to Lauren. He came through the front window of Michelle’s house which was my uncle’s old one and given to her after his dead. So Matt came inside the house and tried to steal a TV. I saw him and aimed my gun at him. I chewed him out and told him to never ever talk to me or Michelle. As tears were coming down his junkie eyes, I told him that he should have died with Mom. It was a horrible thing to say and I have regretted it every day. Now his life seems like it’s in terrible trouble so I need to help him if I can. I will try.

Jenny and I pack up our bags for the trip at the lake. We get Lilly and head off to Lake Michigan. Michelle is going to meet us there. We arrive at the cabin a few hours later. We unpack and separate to our rooms. Jenny and I take my old room. Michelle will get her old room. And Lilly will get Matt’s. No one will get my uncle’s. We never knew how my uncle dead, just vanished during a hunting trip while staying here. Police and rangers couldn’t find anything. But it was reported that there a lot of missing people that year. It was nearly ten years ago. I have been here since.

Lilly and Michelle go outside to look around the area. I show Jenny around the place. We get to my uncle’s room. We go inside. It’s really dusty and papers are everywhere. Something jumps out at me though. I walk over to see the same book that he gave me a year before he passed. Under it is a journal looking good. I open it up. I’m shocked to see what it is. Jenny sees my faces and asks.

“What is it?”

“It’s a journal.”

“Of what?”

“Supernatural stuff.”

“Like lore?”

“No like encounters.”

Just as I finish, Michelle walks in. I hide the book behind my back. Michelle speaks.

“I miss him.”

“Me too.” I walk out and toss the books to Jenny. She walks them back to our book and then returns with us to the living room.

            We cook up some food but the whole thing about my uncle is on my mind. Was he a hunter of this stuff? It makes a little sense. He always gets weird working hours. He had a ton of weapons. Then a new thought arises. What killed him?

            I just want to get through dinner and Jenny can see that about is unable to speed it along. We are all are talking when something spills from Jenny’s mouth.

“So did Colt tell you about Matt?”

F**k. I forgot to tell Jenny to never bring that up.

“No. What is up with him, Colt?

Jenny knows she messed up but I answer.

“I’m not going to lie to you. He is at Holyfield’s in Rockwell. He put himself in there. But I’m going on Monday to see what happened.”

“I’m going too then.”

“No you aren’t. You know he would kill me if I allowed you to see him like that. I’ll handle it.”

“Ok, but promise me you will go easy on him.”

“I will.”

After that conversion we all know it’s time to turn in. I say my goodnights and I go to the room. Jenny closely follows. Once I close the door, she says she’s sorry. I just kiss her and say.

“It’s fine. Let’s get to these books.”

I spend the whole night reading it as Jenny reading it over my shoulder. I find out a lot.

First off, he was a hunter. He hunted all kinds of things I never even heard of. His journal had locations and ways to kill them. The next important thing was he had five open cases he was working on. One was creature that was in Lake Michigan. Two was a warlock in the next town over. Three was a case of a werewolf in the wood behind the house. Four was a case of witches back in the city. Five was a case of Acheri.

Jenny and I organize on how catch and see if we can find out if it will kill my uncle. And if it wouldn’t say, we will kill it. We will start with the lake creature.

But one thing I saw at the end of the book was a simple message.

This is for Colt.



© 2011 The old me


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

dang ! great chapter im interested keep writing !:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 25, 2011
Last Updated on June 25, 2011


Author

The old me
The old me

Los Angeles, CA



About
If you notice some of my work is gone, that is because it is. I trimed down to put only a few on the site. Message me if you want to know anything about me. I'm an open book more..

Writing