4) Strength

4) Strength

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"How's Mama?" a soft voice behind her whispered.

April whirled around, startled to see the three children, huddled close to the door, the younger two, both twins, pressed close against Ella's side like frightened puppies.

She quickly regained some composure, glancing once again in the back corner.  "She's-- she's--"  Her voice broke.  She couldn't finish.  

She had prayed.  Hoped.  And tried to trust-- tried to accept God's will-- whatever that was.  But her prayers had seemed empty, her heart suffocating, and the situation utterly hopeless.  

Last night, though longing for the security of slumber, she stayed by Lillian's bedside every hour of the night, pressing cold cloths against her forehead, puffing up the pillows so she was in a more comfortable position, and anything else she could do to keep her hands active.  Then she sat by her bedside, held her limp hand in her own, and urged her to be strong.  To fight this for her-- and her children.  

She had no idea if Lillian heard her pleadings and coaxing for she seemed to be unaware of any movement or words spoken to her, continually tossing and turning through the night as though in a terrible nightmare, unable to wake up.  She seemed to grow weaker by the minute.  Her face an ashen white, her forehead creased in agony.  It seemed as though the worst nightmare had befallen them, and all April could do was pray for endurance through it.  

Now she looked toward the three, their big, frightening eyes gently questioning her.  She felt her heart breaking.  How could she answer the child's innocent question?  How could she be honest without letting the children suffer more pain?  

She knelt down to gather them in her arms.  She couldn't begin to explain to them how she was feeling, and how their mother lay, fighting for her life.  There was nothing else she could do.

~*~

It wasn't long after that that Drew arrived at the cabin, meeting April, who stood at the doorway.  She had escaped the sickroom, drinking in the earthy scents of pine, attempting to recover some measure of peace in the undisturbed out of doors.  The familiar hoofbeats of Leila caught her attention as she turned her gaze downward on the twisted, dirt lane, shaded in the towering maple and pine.  She watched as Drew's tall, muscular figure eased its way out of the saddle, moving in his quick, purposeful step.  Her soft, blue eyes immediately brightened as he appeared out of the shadows of the trees.

His eyes were searching and unasked questions flickered past his gaze.  She hesitated in her answer.  "She's-- she's fighting it.  I just don't know how much longer..."  She didn't allow herself to conclude her sentence.

He merely nodded.  "And what did the doctor--?"

"He still hasn't returned."

He did not reply, but she knew that his thoughts were most likely swirling with the same concern she mirrored.

"No one knows where he is," she continued, her voice trembling.  "Oh, Drew," she breathed, and he welcomed her in his arms.  "She needs help," she murmured against him.  "I just don't know what else to do."

"We'll find him," he promised, stroking back a lock of wayward hair.

And April knew, without a doubt in her mind, he would.


~*~


Drew carried out his promise.  The doctor arrived.  April was able to breathe a sigh of relief.


He had been startled when hearing of her serious condition, and seemed sincerely concerned.  His tenderness and care was clear as he bent over her weak frame, his calloused hands gently pressing the cloth against her forehead, trying to keep her fever down.

Despite the circumstances, April couldn't help a soft smile flicker past her gaze.  Her heart, overflowing with memories of old, pictured the young Dr. Michael Walton again, his sandy colored hair flying in the wind, his clear blue eyes glistening.  He always did have such a gentle spirit.  April had always adored him.  He had had a heart to serve Jesus, and a love to serve others.  But an even more deeper love for a red-headed, impulsive girl.  Yes, Lillian.  Kenneth Scott hadn't been her only admirer back in the day.  

April could still remember her long ago discovery of his affection.  It had been a beautiful September afternoon.  April was walking home from school by herself, drinking in the sweet outdoors, enjoying the time alone.  She was rounding a curve in the bend when, ahead, she saw Lillian, skipping merrily along.  She was about to hurry towards her when she spotted Michael, shyly approaching her.  April immediately ducked behind a large oak tree, peeking from between the thick grasses.  

Lillian must have noticed his tall, gangly figure appearing from the shadows, for she paused hesitantly.  Michael smiled somewhat nervously, kindly offering her to assist her with her load of books.  

That was the horrid moment.  April still remembered her feeling of indignation as she watched.  There-- from out of nowhere-- came Kenneth, strutting by confidently, immediately whisking the heavy books from Lillian's hands, declaring he would do the honor of "escorting her home."  Lillian seemed to enjoy all the attention, and also rather ignorant of Michael's feelings.  Kenneth took her by the arm, steering her away, beginning to inform her about his "prized stallion," leaving Michael behind in the dust.  He had been forgotten, and all April could do was observe the scene in her helpless pity.

Well, years had passed, and Michael had been studiously preparing to go off to medical college.  It seemed as though Lillian was pushed back into the depths of his heart, left in the past forever.  But April knew it was not so as he often saw her passing, Kenneth's hand tucked protectively in Lillian's, laughing merrily together.  The heartbroken look in his eyes was a clear sign in April's heart.  

She did not know what happened after that.  She hadn't seen Michael again until she had returned from Pennsylvania.  He had started a medical practice of his own in their little town.  She couldn't have been happier for him.

Now, she watched him, his eyes begging Lillian to recover-- to give him a second chance to declare his true feelings that had long been concealed.

Oh, Lillian, her heart reached out to her.  If only you knew...



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
What do you think of Dr. Walton's story I incorporated into the book?

Also, I'm sorry I haven't explained the children more fully yet. I shall do that when the spotlight is more on them. :)

Your thoughts of this chapter? :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Following the characters does get tricky through Ch 3, and no follow-through in this chapter might risk leaving them in the dust too. The addition of Michael seems to work though, especially if the story is leading up to Lillian's history (and I have a strong feeling it is), and hopefully the story will clarify the conflicthe with April and Lillian (her mother?). So far, beautifully written, and can't wait to see what takes place next.

Posted 12 Years Ago


what a change in thought. awh so sweet. those poor children.

oh ps sorry bout my small reviews for its hard typing with one hand and a few fingers :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm so glad the doctor was found and that he is there to tend to Lillian! I hope she makes it through this sickness that she has.
I liked the little twist you added in here about the doctor and his feelings towards Lillian. You incorporated it wonderfully and the transition you made into the past was great! Totally drew me in!
I don't think I have anything at all to criticize in this chapter. Everything was very well done :) Once again, great job Kelly!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


i like this chapter...

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG! I am sorry I haven't reviewed this earlier!! :O You are an amazing writer and I can't wait to read more.

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such a beautiful chapter!!! And I loved the cliff hanger. Reading on

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love Drew(: lol.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

507 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 26, 2011
Last Updated on February 27, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.